Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 421 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #12601 of 16742 Old 10-21-2012, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I found the snipping tool in windows excellent to use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12602 of 16742 Old 10-21-2012, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Anthem guys,

I have separates. I just bought the 300 for ARC. How much better is it than audyssey and mcacc? I've heard different things. Also, any tips for the first time setup?
post #12603 of 16742 Old 10-21-2012, 11:17 AM

Liked: 11
A lot of people who have ARC say it is the best, but then maybe people with XT32 might disagree. All I know is that it is pretty damned good.

Just try out setting it up for a start - preferably using the manual option. It will give you a clue as to what is going on, than maybe post some graphs on here. smile.gif
post #12604 of 16742 Old 10-21-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMAN1991 View Post

Anthem guys,
I have separates. I just bought the 300 for ARC. How much better is it than audyssey and mcacc? I've heard different things. Also, any tips for the first time setup?

There are a million answers to the question of how much better is it... Your posting in an Anthem thread, so I think you know what answer you can expect to that question here.

As for getting started. Read through the posts in the FAQ post at the start of the thread. (post #2). In particular read the Quick Start Guide post.

Please, before you ask a question about...
General Information on the MRX Series: See the First post here.
Technical Information including using ARC: See the "FAQ" post here.
post #12605 of 16742 Old 10-21-2012, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger! View Post

These look great!
There is a bit of a dip in the sub, that I think is still confusing ARC a bit. <<Advice not intended for any other users!!!>> NeogeoG, you are one of the very rare cases where I might recommended trying to force 120 for your sub. In your targets window, set the sub cut off to 120hz. Then recalculate and post your results for us to take a look at. If they look good... upload and give them a try.
AGAIN, this advice is for a very specific case. In general you should not attempt to force a higher cutoff on the sub. This suggestion is only for NeogeoG to try in this very specific case.

Thanks Tigger for the help, but I have a question, ¿when do I have to set the 120hz, before doing the arc measurements or after? also ¿what would I gain in sound quality for my sub if I change it to 120hz and works ok?.

Greetings.
post #12606 of 16742 Old 10-21-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:

Anthem guys,

Ive had two receivers with Audyssey XT and ARC is a lot better, the sound of ARC is totally natural, Audyssey XT on the other hand really changes the sound and for music is really not the best option, also with the Anthem you get a high quality mic and a nice tripod, and beeng able to see what ARC does on your PC is huge improvement so you can make changes and correct what is not working, with other receivers you are totally blind, also ARC equalizes the subwoofer way better than than Audyssey XT.

Cant compere it to XT32, Ypao, mcacc etc..., but I still see some clear advantages in ARC that ive mentioned above.

Greetings.
post #12607 of 16742 Old 10-21-2012, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeogeoG View Post

Thanks Tigger for the help, but I have a question, ¿when do I have to set the 120hz, before doing the arc measurements or after? also ¿what would I gain in sound quality for my sub if I change it to 120hz and works ok?.
Greetings.

Just open the last measurement you did, open the targets window, change the sub to 120, recalculate and upload.
post #12608 of 16742 Old 10-21-2012, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
One thing I can say about ARC vs other room correction systems is that in this forum, most people have tried other schemes and their comparisons are based on their experiences as opposed to people who haven't but still criticize ARC. I've done a comparison in a friends HT and yes, ARC sounded better than Audyssey, for both movies and music. MRX 500 vs Denon 4310
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #12609 of 16742 Old 10-21-2012, 07:54 PM

Liked: 15
Since the last firmware update, I seem to have lost the onscreen display for volume adjustment. Confirmed that "Status Message" under Display/timeouts is still turned to on. Anyone experience this?
post #12610 of 16742 Old 10-21-2012, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubeheadEL34 View Post

Since the last firmware update, I seem to have lost the onscreen display for volume adjustment. Confirmed that "Status Message" under Display/timeouts is still turned to on. Anyone experience this?

I know this is stating the obvious, but you didn't change the video output to "Through" did you?

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). "Silenzio" EA-2 Media Server (pc-based). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
post #12611 of 16742 Old 10-21-2012, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Anthem guys,

I am doing the same, I still have my AS-EQ1, should I leave it connected to my sub, or unhook it and let ARC do everything?

post #12612 of 16742 Old 10-21-2012, 11:24 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

I know this is stating the obvious, but you didn't change the video output to "Through" did you?

That did it sir. I setup a new projector recently and changed the settings. Well done and thanks.
post #12613 of 16742 Old 10-21-2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike645 View Post

Just open the last measurement you did, open the targets window, change the sub to 120, recalculate and upload.

Thanks Shrike645, I guess that if I dont like the change I can just go back set it to 80hz without having to do the speacker trims and recalculate/upload.

But I dont know what changes I should expect from changing 80hz to 120hz, if I dont know what can change I might not even notice any diference, and mind as well stay with 80hz.

Greetings.

Ps. ¿How can I change the HDMI setting to Through just to try it, I currently have it set to 1080p, and it doest give me the option to change, I only got the option when the source was something like 480p.
post #12614 of 16742 Old 10-22-2012, 01:12 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Thanks Shrike645, I guess that if I dont like the change I can just go back set it to 80hz without having to do the speacker trims and recalculate/upload.
But I dont know what changes I should expect from changing 80hz to 120hz, if I dont know what can change I might not even notice any diference, and mind as well stay with 80hz.
Greetings.
Ps. ¿How can I change the HDMI setting to Through just to try it, I currently have it set to 1080p, and it doest give me the option to change, I only got the option when the source was something like 480p.

Just press the resolution button on the remote then press up or down arrow
post #12615 of 16742 Old 10-22-2012, 05:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Greetings.

Yes you can easily go back. You could save a copy of the file and save yourself changing the settings and recalculating. If we told you what to expect the power of suggestion might make it so. The bottom end sound from your sub will expand to fill the room with earth shaking frequencies and extension that will pale in comparison to it's it's previous sound. smile.gif
Seriously though it is all in what you hear. If you don't hear a difference then it doesn't matter if you leave it where it is or return it to the prior setting.
post #12616 of 16742 Old 10-22-2012, 06:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchPope View Post

Quote:

Anthem guys,

Having used all 3, I have no hesitation in easily declaring ARC the winner. I had considering writing up a lengthy comparison of them all, but its all so subjective that I felt like it would just end up with pointless bickering.

In a nutshell though, MCACC is like trying to swat a fly with a sledgehammer. It's too crude of a tool to solve most problems, although to its credit, you can peel away enough layers that you can get some benefit from some aspects of it. Audyssey is like a neurosurgeon who only knows how to do radical brain surgery, even if all you need is some tylenol for a headache. Typically ends up overcorrecting, and ultimately doing more harm than good. ARC is definitely the most complex and involved to run, and the results more subtle - but it's 100% improvement, and you can set sane limits so it doesn't overcorrect.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #12617 of 16742 Old 10-23-2012, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Is anyone else disappointed in the lack of advancement/progress in Anthem firmware updates?

Things like more OSD information, additional RS232 commands... The dock... Where the heck is it? Still not out?

I guess I expected more post support for this line. Haven't really seen anything other than some bug fixes.

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man
post #12618 of 16742 Old 10-23-2012, 04:05 PM

Liked: 10
Sorry if this question has been asked before, I did a search in this thread and couldn't find an answer. When I go to turn on my MRX300 it doesn't, the only way to turn it on is be unplugging the unit from the wall. It is happening more frequently lately. Is there a fix to this problem? I just downloaded the new firmware, I was running the 50.23.

Thanks
post #12619 of 16742 Old 10-23-2012, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKiTLz View Post

Is anyone else disappointed in the lack of advancement/progress in Anthem firmware updates?
Things like more OSD information, additional RS232 commands... The dock... Where the heck is it? Still not out?
I guess I expected more post support for this line. Haven't really seen anything other than some bug fixes.

I don't think the dock will see the light of day. Personally, I don't really care since connecting my iPod to the MRX's usb port using the iPod cable allows me to browse the playlist, songs, etc. using the OSD.

As for more information on the OSD, what sort of information did you want to see? I rarely use the OSD myself.

For firmware advancements/progress, the firmware seems fairly complete and mature to me. Are you experiencing a particular problem that needs to be addressed? As with my computers, I update the firmware when I have an issue. If it's stable, I leave it alone.
post #12620 of 16742 Old 10-24-2012, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by nr1416 View Post

When I go to turn on my MRX300 it doesn't, the only way to turn it on is be unplugging the unit from the wall.

This can happen when line voltage reaches a certain point. We have a mod that allows the standby circuit to accept slightly higher voltage - please contact tech support if the problem is frequent enough to require action. This seems to be a more of a problem in 240V countries where line voltage sometimes reaches 265-270V, though it also appears in 120V countries depending on region.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #12621 of 16742 Old 10-24-2012, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKiTLz View Post

The dock... Where the heck is it?

Sorry, some months ago we announced the dock's cancellation due to its demand having dwindled. In general, smart phones have become a remote control for servers/streamers as opposed to being the server itself (earphones and portable speakers aside) which has made docking them less desirable.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #12622 of 16742 Old 10-24-2012, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike645 View Post

You could save a copy of the file and save yourself changing the settings and recalculating.

True, but be aware that clicking Auto Detect enters the original values - no need to manually re-enter them.

post #12623 of 16742 Old 10-24-2012, 07:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 1520
If we're talking about firmware advancements, I'd really like to see a way to quickly modify dolby volume leveling. You can turn DV on or off easily, and I leave it on all the time for the frequency response adjustment. But I have to dig through tons of menus to get to the leveler setting. Meanwhile, the standard DRC control can swap between night modes super easy - the same should be extended to DV.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #12624 of 16742 Old 10-24-2012, 07:55 AM

Liked: 12
I would sure love to see FLAC ability in the multimedia section.
However, a real question I have is: Is ARC going to be functional with the new Windows 8 around the corner? From what I have read about 8 is, it is quite different. I think I keep my XP tower just in case...cool.gif

"I'd start a revolution, if I could just get out of bed." -fetters
post #12625 of 16742 Old 10-24-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post

I don't think the dock will see the light of day. Personally, I don't really care since connecting my iPod to the MRX's usb port using the iPod cable allows me to browse the playlist, songs, etc. using the OSD.
As for more information on the OSD, what sort of information did you want to see? I rarely use the OSD myself.
For firmware advancements/progress, the firmware seems fairly complete and mature to me. Are you experiencing a particular problem that needs to be addressed? As with my computers, I update the firmware when I have an issue. If it's stable, I leave it alone.

I'm pretty sure it came out of Anthems own mouth, but when I first got my MRX i was disappointed in the lack of OSD information compared to other units 1/3 of the price and was told more information would be coming. For instance my second room cheapo Onkyo displays all of your DSP/Sound mode settings on screen as an overlay for you to change on the fly.

This is perfect for hiding your receiver out of site yet still changing a DSP mode on the fly without pulling up the shall I say "slow" setup menu. All we get right now for OSD is volume, which is pretty lacking in my opinion. I'm also put off by the Dock strategy. It was littered all over my MRX literature that it would be available. Despite whatever Anthem thinks of the market now and the way users are interacting with their equipment, they should have gone through with their marketing. Maybe take a lesson from this and don't print something all over your advertising if you have no intention of seeing it through.

post #12626 of 16742 Old 10-24-2012, 09:11 AM

On a lighter note.

Any opinions on how the MRX-500 will drive a set of Aperion 5T's?

Frequency Response (+/- 3dB) 55-20,000 Hz -- (+/- 6dB) 45-22,000 Hz
Impedance 6 Ohms
Sensitivity 89 dB
Recommended Power 50-200 Watts

post #12627 of 16742 Old 10-24-2012, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
The "Status Message" OSD is a copy of the Receiver front display.

You can change it if you come out of the setup menu and IMMEDIATELY press the "audio" button to quickly change the front display. So when the receiver grabs the front display info after leaving the set up menu it will not be the usual info.

This means IMO that Anthem could pretty easily add front display info grabs at other times too. Some good examples of it's use would be...

Using the "audio" "channels" and "Dolby Volume" settings.

"Info" button info,etc.

Truth is....you could add an option in setup menu for the Front Panel Display to flash up to the Status Message OSD anytime the front display changes info. A perfect run of it would be using the "Front Panel Wake up" setting. Anytime my receiver is in "Up 1" mode on my front display would be a PERFECT time to put it up on the Status Message OSD. It would NOT be terribly complicated. Plus the addition to the FW is a VERY low risk change.

Currently, the Status Message info is pretty useless. You DO have to think a more elaborate version had to be planned originally. I find it hard to believe this nearly useless feature was the END plan.

Edit :spelling

Moderator harassment is wrong and immoral.  
post #12628 of 16742 Old 10-24-2012, 04:46 PM

Hmmm. Will probably put my MRX 500 up on EBAY.

I could do an elaborate review, but in short I'm finding the match of the "warm" sound with my relatively "bright" speakers (paradigm ref studio 100) to be just a bit out of my preference. Smart move might be to toss the large Paradigms, since I have found them difficult to match with other rooms / other components. My setup is fine for Jazz and Piano, but it's not as enjoyable for the fusion and rock.

Biggest pluses on the MRX 500 I think are 1) the COAX digital seems to be fairly good 2) the bass linearity is very good and 3) the noise floor is extremely low.

Biggest minuses 1) some of the interface is clunky and 2) no pure audio path passthru if you have external DACs and so on.
post #12629 of 16742 Old 10-24-2012, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScofieldKid View Post

Hmmm. Will probably put my MRX 500 up on EBAY.
I could do an elaborate review, but in short I'm finding the match of the "warm" sound with my relatively "bright" speakers (paradigm ref studio 100) to be just a bit out of my preference. Smart move might be to toss the large Paradigms, since I have found them difficult to match with other rooms / other components. My setup is fine for Jazz and Piano, but it's not as enjoyable for the fusion and rock.
Biggest pluses on the MRX 500 I think are 1) the COAX digital seems to be fairly good 2) the bass linearity is very good and 3) the noise floor is extremely low.
Biggest minuses 1) some of the interface is clunky and 2) no pure audio path passthru if you have external DACs and so on.

What do you mean by " no pure audio path passthru if you have external DACs and so on"?

Thanks
post #12630 of 16742 Old 10-24-2012, 05:21 PM

Uh, I believe all inputs travel through the internal DAC of the Arcam. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx500 , Anthem Mrx300 , Anthem Mrx700 , Receivers Amplifiers , Component Amplifiers , 3d Hdtv , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread - Mrx500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page