Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 424 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #12691 of 16695 Old 11-03-2012, 11:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Treated myself to an early Christmas. Originally ordered an MRX 300 and dealer called a couple days after and offered me a demo MRX 500 for 1/3 off list, so I grabbed that instead. Got a Squeezebox Touch since the MRX doesnt stream PC files over network. Very nice unit with its Flac abilities. I was using a PS3 for all my streaming before. The Squeeze Commander app for Android is a must! Picked up a pair of used Paradigm Studio 80s today. All this hardware plays wonderfully with each other. Loving the new sound.

The MRX came with an old firmware and had the clicking issue when changing tracks...also cut the first part off of song when manually selecting a track. Latest MRX firmware fixed those issues. Noticed over the past couple of days when playing 1080/24p media that there was a studder about once a minute in the video. After reading, it looks like this issue has been around for at least a year ? I switched off 24p on the PS3 and the issue is gone. Actually I like this look better on my 50" LG Plasma. With 24p on, the picture was too "smooth" looking. Just personal preference. At any rate, very happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12692 of 16695 Old 11-04-2012, 12:55 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13

Kinolau:
Quote:
When was the last time that there were no advances in audio performance by every manufacturer across the board for 2 Years? Just something to consider when looking at buying something full retail today. I apologize for blatantly bashing this line...but 3 out of 3 defective? And the one I'm still sitting on has a dead input channel. I owe it to unsuspecting buyers to make them aware of the problems I've had. Even if others choose to remain silent for whatever reasons they have.

I totally disagree, picture wise every year there are huge advances, but not in audio performance, Ive had a Denon 2808 and changed it for a Onkyo 809 y the 4 year old Denon sounded better, specially notisable with music in stereo and multichanel, the Onkyo was nice because of the 2 HDMI outputs and also has a good picture thanks to its Vida procesor, but I was defenitely not happy with the sound which for me is really what matters most, after reading a lot in diferent forums I decided to buy an Anthem MRX 500 and the sound is simply amazing, couldnt be happier.

So disapointed with Onkyo that I will never buy a receiver of that brand, not only did the Onkyo have worse sound easy to notice it with music, but I also got a bit of noise from all speakers, with the Anthem is totally quite, and of course there is the huge diference with ARC vs Audyssey XT, not only does ARC sound totally natural for listening to music, but what it does to the subwoofer is totally awesome, its sound so much better that It would seeme that Ive bought a new and more expesive sub, but the diference is only thanks to ARC.

Greetings.
post #12693 of 16695 Old 11-04-2012, 03:09 AM

I've just run the Anthem Room Correction for the first time.
What does it really change ?
Because when I look at my channels now, I also see that my
Front Left has been set to +2
Front Right to +1
and Center to -1
How is this possible ?
Is this correct ? Shouldn't the front left & right be equal to eachother ?

Here are the results altough I don't understand much of it :

correction_1.jpg

correction_2.jpg
post #12694 of 16695 Old 11-04-2012, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Front Right to +1
and Center to -1
How is this possible ?

I am not an expert, but in my room with both of my old receivers that had Audyssey XT they also set one o the stereo speakers one point louder than the other, but I thought it was because my right speaker was in a corner, now ive separated the speakers a little bit from the wall and ARC mesured them both equall.
post #12695 of 16695 Old 11-04-2012, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotWheelz View Post

Treated myself to an early Christmas. Originally ordered an MRX 300 and dealer called a couple days after and offered me a demo MRX 500 for 1/3 off list, so I grabbed that instead. Got a Squeezebox Touch since the MRX doesnt stream PC files over network. Very nice unit with its Flac abilities. I was using a PS3 for all my streaming before. The Squeeze Commander app for Android is a must! Picked up a pair of used Paradigm Studio 80s today. All this hardware plays wonderfully with each other. Loving the new sound.
The MRX came with an old firmware and had the clicking issue when changing tracks...also cut the first part off of song when manually selecting a track. Latest MRX firmware fixed those issues. Noticed over the past couple of days when playing 1080/24p media that there was a studder about once a minute in the video. After reading, it looks like this issue has been around for at least a year ? I switched off 24p on the PS3 and the issue is gone. Actually I like this look better on my 50" LG Plasma. With 24p on, the picture was too "smooth" looking. Just personal preference. At any rate, very happy.

What type of media were you playing?
post #12696 of 16695 Old 11-04-2012, 07:53 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

I am glad that you are getting the SC-65. Looking forward to read your impression. So, you stop dwelling on the MRX line.

Sorry if I appear to be "Dwelling" on the MRX line. I'm just absolutely amazed at the bad luck I've had with 3 separate MRX 500's...and my retailer confirms the amount of problems that have been reported to him. As far as reporting my impression of the Pioneer...I hope to never have to make a post about it online. If everything is working as it should, I have no reason to do an online search to see if others are having similar issues. A luxury I haven't had with the 3 separate MRX 500's I've owned since January 2011. Looking at my profile, I see that I've had 93 posts since joining in Dec 2010. There were times when I didn't post for several months at a time, because things seemed to be working great with the receiver. But some type of problem would always present itself after several months. The receiver I have right now...was thoroughly tested by tech support before it left the warehouse, seeing that this was going to be the 3rd MRX 500, they wanted to be sure that all current firmware was installed and working properly. So instead...I end up with a completely dead input channel. I've had rechargeable batteries that were more reliable than what I've seen with 3 separate MRX receivers. The 12 year old Denon 3300 in my gym hasn't had a single problem as long as I've owned it. I had no reason to think that a $1500 receiver could even possibly present a problem, and have done my best to work with Paradigm to get a product without issue. If my retailer hadn't seen so many returned Anthem receivers himself, and offered me a way out of the MRX line...I'd be going into my 4th MRX 500. If somebody takes offense to my voiced displeasure based on my experience with trying to get something that works properly...put yourself in my shoes. If you spent your money almost 2 years ago on a piece of "higher" end equipment, and have had nothing but resurfacing issues...you'd be pretty pissed too.
I've been patient beyond what any customer should ever be expected to be. I really hope that those who own and those that are now purchasing MRX receivers never have the experiences I've had to deal with. But those inquiring as to the reliability of the line before buying...need to know that there is at least one fairly technically capable person that has owned 3 separate MRX 500's that exhibited similar or more complex problems that could not be resolved at home, and needed to be replaced.

How often do you hear of a retailer offering a dollar for dollar exchange into a different product, almost two years after the initial purchase was made on a piece of equipment with no documented performance issues???
post #12697 of 16695 Old 11-04-2012, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hey guys, looking into stepping into the world of Anthem MRX receivers. I have read much of the thread (but not all) and it seems like a lot of people complain that there isn't enough bass. I like my bass, possibly even a little hot. IF i do not like the way ARC has setup my subs/bass (i have 2 Paradigm Studio Sub 12s w/PBK which i would run as well, and my mains are Studio 100 and CC-690), is there any way to adjust the bass without affecting what ARC has done with the speakers? For running PBK and ARC, i have read to run PBK first for each sub then run ARC. Any specific settings my subs should be at? I think i read 2/3 volume or something??

Lastly, i always hear about setting the subs at flat. Would i do that with my setup?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
post #12698 of 16695 Old 11-04-2012, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04rex View Post

Hey guys, looking into stepping into the world of Anthem MRX receivers. I have read much of the thread (but not all) and it seems like a lot of people complain that there isn't enough bass. I like my bass, possibly even a little hot. IF i do not like the way ARC has setup my subs/bass (i have 2 Paradigm Studio Sub 12s w/PBK which i would run as well, and my mains are Studio 100 and CC-690), is there any way to adjust the bass without affecting what ARC has done with the speakers? For running PBK and ARC, i have read to run PBK first for each sub then run ARC. Any specific settings my subs should be at? I think i read 2/3 volume or something??
Lastly, i always hear about setting the subs at flat. Would i do that with my setup?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

I you like to have more bass than what ARC suggests you can raise the room gain to give the bottom end a boost and not screw up the rest of the ARC solution.. Yes for multiple subs run PBK first. Set yours sub volume at 50% and see what arc give you. As for running flat we'd have to see the graphs.
post #12699 of 16695 Old 11-04-2012, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatbrother_bw View Post

Front Right to +1
and Center to -1
How is this possible ?
correction_1.jpg
correction_2.jpg

The room/speaker interaction will affect the sound levels produced by each speaker - unless your room is perfectly symmetrical you will often see the odd dB difference.

ARC appears to be doing a good job of correcting your Front, Surround & Aux channels. The fronts are picking up some boundary gain causing the low frequency peaks, and moving them further away from rear/side walls may help reduce the peaks. The surrounds and aux channels could benefit from some more boundary gain to help the lower frequencies - but as previously stated, ARC is doing a good job anyway.
My main concern would be the Center channel and the Subwoofer. The center has two severe dips at about 550Hz and 1300Hz that ARC is unable to correct (the green trace does not closely follow the blue lines). I would run ARC in Manual mode and use Quickmeasure to sweep the center channel continuously while trying some positional changes - you need to eliminate those dips, your center channel is critical to movie dialogue. The sub also drops off early in output as the frequency rises - it could be that it is also getting too much boundary gain at the lowest frequencies due to corner loading - or it may have a filter engaged (always set any sub filter to either 'bypass' or the highest setting it has - this lets ARC/MRX control the crossover correctly. If the sub is in a corner - move it out a bit - again use Quickmeasure (tools menu) to see the effects of any changes.
Rerun ARC when your center and sub are sorted.
Regards, Mike.
post #12700 of 16695 Old 11-04-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinolau View Post

Sorry if I appear to be "Dwelling" on the MRX line. I'm just absolutely amazed at the bad luck I've had with 3 separate MRX 500's...and my retailer confirms the amount of problems that have been reported to him. As far as reporting my impression of the Pioneer...I hope to never have to make a post about it online. If everything is working as it should, I have no reason to do an online search to see if others are having similar issues. A luxury I haven't had with the 3 separate MRX 500's I've owned since January 2011. Looking at my profile, I see that I've had 93 posts since joining in Dec 2010. There were times when I didn't post for several months at a time, because things seemed to be working great with the receiver. But some type of problem would always present itself after several months. The receiver I have right now...was thoroughly tested by tech support before it left the warehouse, seeing that this was going to be the 3rd MRX 500, they wanted to be sure that all current firmware was installed and working properly. So instead...I end up with a completely dead input channel. I've had rechargeable batteries that were more reliable than what I've seen with 3 separate MRX receivers. The 12 year old Denon 3300 in my gym hasn't had a single problem as long as I've owned it. I had no reason to think that a $1500 receiver could even possibly present a problem, and have done my best to work with Paradigm to get a product without issue. If my retailer hadn't seen so many returned Anthem receivers himself, and offered me a way out of the MRX line...I'd be going into my 4th MRX 500. If somebody takes offense to my voiced displeasure based on my experience with trying to get something that works properly...put yourself in my shoes. If you spent your money almost 2 years ago on a piece of "higher" end equipment, and have had nothing but resurfacing issues...you'd be pretty pissed too.
I've been patient beyond what any customer should ever be expected to be. I really hope that those who own and those that are now purchasing MRX receivers never have the experiences I've had to deal with. But those inquiring as to the reliability of the line before buying...need to know that there is at least one fairly technically capable person that has owned 3 separate MRX 500's that exhibited similar or more complex problems that could not be resolved at home, and needed to be replaced.
How often do you hear of a retailer offering a dollar for dollar exchange into a different product, almost two years after the initial purchase was made on a piece of equipment with no documented performance issues???

It does not matter at this point. You need to move on but it seems like you are still dwelling on the MRX. I hope that you enjoy your pioneer.
post #12701 of 16695 Old 11-04-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v65v65 View Post

I just finished setting up the new theater room with a MRX300. This is my first attempt at running ARC. I am also trying to setup two subs at the same time which is also a process in itself. Here are my graphs from the first test. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks Larry

Hi Larry,

Have you tried running ARC in Manual mode - then access Tools - Quickmeasure. This would allow you to try repositioning speakers to get a smoother initial response - allowing ARC to apply fine-tuning correction. Your mains have huge peaks at the low frequencies - this is usually due to them being too close to rear/side walls. Seeing as this is a dedicated movie room - speaker placement should be more important than other factors.
Quickmeasure could also help with sub positioning - as it will sweep both at the same time - so you can ensure that they work together not in opposition. At the moment your subs outputs drop quickly below 50Hz - twin subs should do better than that - if positioned optimally.
Regards, Mike.
post #12702 of 16695 Old 11-04-2012, 11:24 AM

I've had my MRX 700 for over a year and have not had a single problem. As others have noted (and I have posted earlier in this thread - you can search for the posts), forums tend to be places that people go to for problem solving/venting. Hence you will find many posts outlining issues or concerns. But the reality is that forum posts are not representative of the general user experience.
post #12703 of 16695 Old 11-04-2012, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike645 View Post

I you like to have more bass than what ARC suggests you can raise the room gain to give the bottom end a boost and not screw up the rest of the ARC solution.. Yes for multiple subs run PBK first. Set yours sub volume at 50% and see what arc give you. As for running flat we'd have to see the graphs.

Hello,

If i want more bass and arc sets my room gain to 3.9xx how much gain should i add? And can i set my subwoofer to 120hz and set it to flat? arc sets my subwoofer to -2, gain in my sub (pb12nsd) was in 10 o'clock. If i set it to middle arc sets it to -8.

Thanks

arc3-1.jpg
arc2-2.jpg
post #12704 of 16695 Old 11-04-2012, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan338 View Post

Hello,
If i want more bass and arc sets my room gain to 3.9xx how much gain should i add? And can i set my subwoofer to 120hz and set it to flat? arc sets my subwoofer to -2, gain in my sub (pb12nsd) was in 10 o'clock. If i set it to middle arc sets it to -8.
Thanks
arc3-1.jpg
arc2-2.jpg

You want to move your subs until you get a red measured curve that is flat from 100-20Hz and then ARC will set the cutoff to 120Hz. You're getting close so don't give up. See the sub graph at the end of the FAQ on pg.1 of this thread for a reference.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #12705 of 16695 Old 11-04-2012, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

I just finished setting up the new theater room with a MRX300. This is my first attempt at running ARC. I am also trying to setup two subs at the same time which is also a process in itself. Here are my graphs from the first test. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks Larry

Question: What did ARC set your Speaker Calibration Levels at? This is important to know as it may impact some of our advice.

The Good: Your Rear/Height speakers look excellent. Your sub is also not to bad. Though your low end looks to be dropping a lot more than I would expect. This may be a result of how the two subs are interacting with each other. How are the two subs positioned? How are they configured? What directions are they facing. If you could do a quick mock up of your room and speaker positions, that would help. You will ultimately want to play with "Quick Measure" a bit, and see if you can improve things, but we may be able to help give you some pointers if we know more, before you begin playing.

The Ok: Your surrounds are suffering a bit of boundary gain (too close to a wall). However it is not bad and ARC is doing a nice job of correcting. If they are mounted to the walls, not much you can do. If they are free standing, you could pull them out a little from the wall (6-12 inches) and that would likely help a little.

Areas I would focus on:

1) Your subs as noted above, they look to have a lot of room to improve.
2) Your Center. It has some very odd dramatic drops and peaks. How is it positioned? Is it sitting on a shelf of some kind? If yes, pull it forward till the speaker grill is just over the front edge of the shelf (so the speakers are flush with the front of the shelf). Take a picture of your center and we maybe able to make some better suggestions.
3) Your Fronts are suffering from WAY to much boundary gain. Are they in a corner? Try pulling them out away from the walls so they are at least 2 feet away from all of the walls.

Please, before you ask a question about...
General Information on the MRX Series: See the First post here.
Technical Information including using ARC: See the "FAQ" post here.
post #12706 of 16695 Old 11-04-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Front Right to +1
and Center to -1
How is this possible ?

Your graphs look really good on the whole. In fact your room and speaker layout doesn't look to be that bad even without room correction, so don't expect a huge difference with as your not in as rough a starting condition as many (which is great!).

A few things (think these have possibly been mentioned already by AV_Mike as well)...

Your fronts look great.

Your surrounds also look really good. They might improve if they had a touch more boundary gain, but this is questionable. If you have room to play with them and can move them a little closer to the nearest wall you may get a little more low end extension. I would not focus on your surrounds though unless you really have nothing better to do and want to play wink.gif

Your Rear/Heights could be improved by giving them some more boundary gain if possible. Move them closer to the back wall and see if you can get the low end to come up a little. ARC however is doing a nice job of working with these, even as they are, so if you can't move them, not to worry.

The place to focus your attention:

1) Your Center has a very odd 1.3kHz drop. Is this speaker a three way speaker or a two way speaker? If a three way, is the mid range speaker working correctly? Other possibilities, is this speaker on a shelf/cabinet? If yes, where is it positioned? Pulling it forward to the front edge may help, or raising it up a bit. Can you take a picture of your center for us so we can see what it looks like in your room?

2) Your Sub, what did ARC set your levels at for the sub? Is the sub in a corner or really close to a wall? Are there any filters engaged, your sub looks to have a low pass filter set. If possible set all filters to bypass, if that is not an option, set the Low Pass as high as it will go (probably something like 180) and if it has a High Pass filter, set it as low as it will go (probably something like 15).

As for your Front Right and Front Left having slightly different levels, this is ok and very normal. All sorts of things could cause them to be different, a chair on one side of the room. A bit of carpeting, a door... the key is that ARC has matched them both at your listening location by slightly adjusting them.

post #12707 of 16695 Old 11-04-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan338 View Post

Hello,
Thanks

I would not recommend increasing your room gain beyond 4. You should listen to your system for at least 1-2 solid weeks of listening... if after that you still feel the bass is not to your liking, you can use the tone controls to increase the bass a little. Note you can do this on the fly (a temporary setting) using the audio button on your remote or for a more permanent solution there are tone control setting on each source that allow you to permanently adjust that sources tone control. The permanent solution is per source so you can tailor it to your tastes for each source.

Also, as you have already noted... adjusting the volume knob on the back of your sub will not help you. ARC is simply going to compensate by adjusting your speaker level trims and bad things can start to happen if you get them too extreme. The setting on your sub where you were at -2 is VERY good. I would keep your sub set there or even a whisker lower (0 is perfect but really not necessary to achieve. Anything +/- 3 is very good and +/-5 very acceptable).
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

You want to move your subs until you get a red measured curve that is flat from 100-20Hz and then ARC will set the cutoff to 120Hz. You're getting close so don't give up. See the sub graph at the end of the FAQ on pg.1 of this thread for a reference.
John

I have to agree with John, you do not want to just force ARC to use 120, it should be able to naturally get there. Try moving your sub a little as John as suggested. If you can get rid of the spike at 35Hz (reduce it to be similar to the rest of the speaker), that will probably get you there. If after using Quick Measure you can not find a better option, IN YOUR CASE ONLY, you may be able to force 120. This is not something most people will be able to do and not something we recommend. But in your very specific case, it may work. Again, this is not the ideal way to get you to 120, re-positioning should be able to do it naturally and that is what we would prefer.

post #12708 of 16695 Old 11-04-2012, 03:14 PM

First of all.
A big thank you to Tigger and Mike for taking the time for a nice explanation of my graphs.
Really appreciated.
About the speakers.
I have the Klipsch THX Ultra 2 set. (7.2)

The surrounds and the backs are attached to the walls.
The 2 fronts and center are very close to the wall and we have put them out of sight.

I'll try to add here a picture of my HT.
On the first picture, the surrounds and rears are a bit visible.
the fronts, center and 2 subs are not visible. They are behind an acoustic screen.
The subs are on the bottom in the both corners.
The fronts are on a shelf in the middle of the height area.
The center is under the screen at the bottom and it is tilted a bit upwards.
I hope this is enough information for you. Otherwise, just let me know.
Thanks in advance.

dag_26.jpg

dag_26_2.jpg
AV_mike likes this.
post #12709 of 16695 Old 11-04-2012, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Beautiful!!
Quote:

dag_26.jpg
dag_26_2.jpg

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
post #12710 of 16695 Old 11-04-2012, 04:17 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your help. While this is a theater room it is also a family room and I had to work with the WAF for design so I am somewhat limited in what changes I can make. I have tried moving the fronts and center a little but it does not seem to help unless I take them out of the cabinet. So I may be out of luck. I see I may be able to make some changes to the cabinet door where the grill cloth goes to see if it would help. But I do have some options with the subs. I have my main sub in the front left corner at this time and a mid-base module sitting next to the two couches in the diagram. The main sub has the crossover set at 50 HZ for anything below that, the mid-base should take care of anything above this. I used a SPL meter and test tones to balance the two before ARC was ran. So I could definitely make some changes here and where I place the mid-base module. Thanks for the help any suggestion would great.

post #12711 of 16695 Old 11-04-2012, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Trying to hook up my 500 to the vTuner. When I first plugged it up I got an error but I had the menu screen showing up. I powered on/off to try and get the code but now I am not connected at all. I have no menu on my screen just a black screen. Any thoughts?

Nevermind. Powered on/off again and it's working now. Go figure.
post #12712 of 16695 Old 11-04-2012, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaCKeL_521 View Post

Hi Anthem lovers.
I was planning to buy an Anthem MRX 500 locally to replace my DENON 1910 but after reading pages per pages all the posts here I am no longer sure.
I am sure the MRX500 is the best amp I can find to fit my HI-FI / HT need and I so want to try ARC with the provided mic, but all the defectives/problems posts are turning me off.
I saw people that are on their 4th and 5th service swap and many others reporting noises, firmware problems and other issues. I am now afraid to get one.
So my question is : Is the situation as bad as it sound .

Until the economy turns around, or the "weight" on the economy is pushed off...or runs out of ...um....terms. Remember, the average household income is down over $4000 since the end of 2008 and inflation is up, especially gas (doubled) and food. That's why many Japanese brands, have wisely, dumped or slimed down the "upper end".

It's slim pickings, and what there is, most dealers don't carry anything up to date in stock(ARCAM, Cambridge Audio, NAD, Rotel -- in my experience). ANd I live in a 3 million metro.

Many of the those "boutique" brands have tried to fill in, but often there are so many problems with HDMI and Codec lock noise issues it can seem VERY difficult to find a reliable non-Japanese unit, especially in relation to DVR skip functionality.

Anthem has done better than most. But a number of people have mysterious static or other noises in channels.

Another strange deal is the inability to run with HDMI CEC functionality ON at low power when the receiver is turned off. Most receiver's use only a couple watts when CEC is ON and the receiver is OFF, But the MRX's use FULL idle power on OR off. That's about 120 - 140 watts. That's a lot of power 24/7. I'm guessing they didn't put in a low power transformer.

Moderator harassment is wrong and immoral.  
post #12713 of 16695 Old 11-04-2012, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

First of all.
A big thank you to Tigger and Mike for taking the time for a nice explanation of my graphs.
Really appreciated.
About the speakers.
I have the Klipsch THX Ultra 2 set. (7.2)
The surrounds and the backs are attached to the walls.
The 2 fronts and center are very close to the wall and we have put them out of sight.
I'll try to add here a picture of my HT.
On the first picture, the surrounds and rears are a bit visible.
the fronts, center and 2 subs are not visible. They are behind an acoustic screen.
The subs are on the bottom in the both corners.
The fronts are on a shelf in the middle of the height area.
The center is under the screen at the bottom and it is tilted a bit upwards.
I hope this is enough information for you. Otherwise, just let me know.
Thanks in advance.

First off, what a great looking home theater! Very cool.

As for the speakers... I assume the screen is mostly acoustically transparent... so why is the center not at the same height as the Front L/R? As for the Centers location, I suspect your proximity to the floor maybe contributing to the dip we are seeing, as it is only a two way speaker, I don't think the dip is due to a failing mid range speaker. If you can place it up higher that may help. Of note, if I'm interpreting the speakers used in the Klipsch THX Ultra 2 set, the Front L/R speakers are the same as your center, so one would expect them to all have similar responses... this suggests it is the speakers location that is causing the dip we see.

For the subs, a few things to consider here. First question, are you using the recommended 'KA-1000-THX Amplifier'? It appears there are no controls on the subs cabinets themselves, however the amp has numerous filters we need to consider. Can you tell us how the controls on your amp are configured? For better explanation, please see the attached description of your amps controls.

I think if your subs are tight in the corners, you may want to also try sliding them closer to the center so they are at least 2 feet away from the side walls. Let us know how the controls on the amp are set and we will see if we can recommend some changes.

post #12714 of 16695 Old 11-04-2012, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Guys,
Thanks for your help. While this is a theater room it is also a family room and I had to work with the WAF for design so I am somewhat limited in what changes I can make. I have tried moving the fronts and center a little but it does not seem to help unless I take them out of the cabinet. So I may be out of luck. I see I may be able to make some changes to the cabinet door where the grill cloth goes to see if it would help. But I do have some options with the subs. I have my main sub in the front left corner at this time and a mid-base module sitting next to the two couches in the diagram. The main sub has the crossover set at 50 HZ for anything below that, the mid-base should take care of anything above this. I used a SPL meter and test tones to balance the two before ARC was ran. So I could definitely make some changes here and where I place the mid-base module. Thanks for the help any suggestion would great.

So, based on the built in nature of your Front Speakers and your Center, I'm guessing there is not much we can do here. However the built in nature does explain the large boundary gain on the Fronts.

For the Sub's... if I'm reading this correctly, you do not actually have two subs covering the same frequency range, but instead you have one sub that handles >50Hz near your couches at the back of the room and one that covers <50Hz that is up front. Is this correct?

Can you increase the level control on the Sub that handles the <50Hz? Or can you lower the level on the mid sub?

Also, we still need to know what the speaker calibration levels ARC set are. That will help us to determine which sub levels we want to adjust.

To give you an idea, we are trying to get your "Red Measured Line" to be more "Flat". Attached is an example of what we would like to see. The Blue line is what I'm hoping your new "Red Line" will look like and the "Dashed Yellow Line" will hopefully be what your new target line looks like.

post #12715 of 16695 Old 11-04-2012, 07:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 1468
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean-l View Post

Another strange deal is the inability to run with HDMI CEC functionality ON at low power when the receiver is turned off. Most receiver's use only a couple watts when CEC is ON and the receiver is OFF, But the MRX's use FULL idle power on OR off. That's about 120 - 140 watts. That's a lot of power 24/7. I'm guessing they didn't put in a low power transformer.

Is this true? Only with HDMI CEC on?

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #12716 of 16695 Old 11-04-2012, 07:51 PM

You are correct with the subs. I upped the level on the main sub and ran ARC again. I also played with the fronts as best I could using the quick measure before I ran this test. Not sure if we gained a lot but I think a slight improvement. Here is the last test with the levels as well. I can make several changes on the subs if needed or move the Mid sub around. Thanks for help in this learning process.

Levels:
Front left: +1
Center: -1
Front Right: 0
Surround right: 0
Surround Left: +1
Movie sub: 0
Music sub: 0
Aux right: 0
Aux left: -1

post #12717 of 16695 Old 11-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Is this true? Only with HDMI CEC on?

I thought it was 60 watts which is still quite a bit.
post #12718 of 16695 Old 11-04-2012, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike645 View Post

I thought it was 60 watts which is still quite a bit.

I believe 60W is the right wattage when CEC is activated.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #12719 of 16695 Old 11-04-2012, 09:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 1468
What about when CEC is off?

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #12720 of 16695 Old 11-05-2012, 02:40 AM

Quote:

You are correct with the subs. I upped the level on the main sub and ran ARC again. I also played with the fronts as best I could using the quick measure before I ran this test. Not sure if we gained a lot but I think a slight improvement. Here is the last test with the levels as well. I can make several changes on the subs if needed or move the Mid sub around. Thanks for help in this learning process.
Levels:
Front left: +1
Center: -1
Front Right: 0
Surround right: 0
Surround Left: +1
Movie sub: 0
Music sub: 0
Aux right: 0
Aux left: -1

The sub looks better, but we need to see the calculated response on the graphs. Hit calculate and take some new screenshots.
Regards, Mike.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx500 , Anthem Mrx300 , Anthem Mrx700 , Receivers Amplifiers , Component Amplifiers , 3d Hdtv , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread - Mrx500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page