Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 16672 Old 01-04-2011, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rklpoon View Post

Any comment pls? (I am using Klipsch speakers & room size is 17' x 12' x 8' ). It seems to me there are more MRX700 owners than that of MRX500 here.

Well, since you will be using your amp to drive your fronts and you will not be using XM Radio, then my suggestion would be to save yourself a few $$$$ and get the MRX 500. That's my .02; but, it's your money. So, the final decision will be yours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 16672 Old 01-04-2011, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja12 View Post

Well, since you will be using your amp to drive your fronts and you will not be using XM Radio, then my suggestion would be to save yourself a few $$$$ and get the MRX 500. That's my .02; but, it's your money. So, the final decision will be yours.

Agreed. And with that size of a room I would think that the MRX 500 would be enough to provide sufficient power by itself without having any need for additional amps - however since you already have an additional amp you have nothing to lose ;-)

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Tony
post #1263 of 16672 Old 01-04-2011, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO1 View Post

Agreed. And with that size of a room I would think that the MRX 500 would be enough to provide sufficient power by itself without having any need for additional amps - however since you already have an additional amp you have nothing to lose ;-)

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Tony

I believe the 700 also has a toroidal transformer. Whether this makes any listening difference is up to the user. There may be other internal part changes that may affect sound/video quality. It's a tough call.
post #1264 of 16672 Old 01-04-2011, 09:51 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by grovenstein View Post

I've had my MRX500 for a week now and have made decent progress in dialing it in thanks in large part to this AVS thread.... However, the amount of flexibility leaves me wondering how my settings compare to others.

I currently have 2 sources input to the receiver via HDMI:
1. Oppo BDP-83 with PCM selected.
2. Dish Network receiver, ViP622DVR, set to Dolby Digital/PCM (Dolby Digital if it exists otherwise PCM).

My Listening Mode Presets are the same for both:
Audio Signal Selection
2.0 AnthemLogic-Cinema
2.0 DD Surround PLII Movie
Multi Channel PCM None
5.1 Dolby Digital None
Dolby Digital Surround EX Same as Dolby D-5.1
5.1 DTS None
DTS-ES Same as DTS-5.1

I would appreciate any feedback.

I'm thinking an Anthem MRX for Dummies book might be a good idea. I'm not lost, but somewhat frustrated in setting up listening mode presets myself. I'm coming out of using a Denon AVR 3300 which didn't have such flexibility. I guess main point of frustration is that while I'm seeing DTS 3/2 on the display when setting playback for DTS 5.1 on a video source, I'm not hearing much if anything in my surrounds. I'm using a PS3 for Blu-Ray playback and an older ROTEL DVD player for some of my other formats.
I've tried setting 5.1 to Dolby VS Wide...Dolby VS Reference...etc. I'm sure that I'll understand all of this more as time passes, but right now, I just want to be able to get the best 5.1 playback. Originally, I was seeing Multi PCM on the display when using the PS3 for BR playback. But after switching over the video output to bitstream and making some changes to the LMP's I ended up with DTS 3/2. I'm temped to hit the Factory Settings option and start from scratch, but I really wanted to wait till I get the amp back for my sub (Velodyne HGS-12) before running the ARC again if possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #1265 of 16672 Old 01-04-2011, 09:55 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike645 View Post

I believe the 700 also has a toroidal transformer. Whether this makes any listening difference is up to the user. There may be other internal part changes that may affect sound/video quality. It's a tough call.

Exactly!
post #1266 of 16672 Old 01-04-2011, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinolau View Post

I'm thinking an Anthem MRX for Dummies book might be a good idea. I'm not lost, but somewhat frustrated in setting up listening mode presets myself. I'm coming out of using a Denon AVR 3300 which didn't have such flexibility. I guess main point of frustration is that while I'm seeing DTS 3/2 on the display when setting playback for DTS 5.1 on a video source, I'm not hearing much if anything in my surrounds. I'm using a PS3 for Blu-Ray playback and an older ROTEL DVD player for some of my other formats.
I've tried setting 5.1 to Dolby VS Wide...Dolby VS Reference...etc. I'm sure that I'll understand all of this more as time passes, but right now, I just want to be able to get the best 5.1 playback. Originally, I was seeing Multi PCM on the display when using the PS3 for BR playback. But after switching over the video output to bitstream and making some changes to the LMP's I ended up with DTS 3/2. I'm temped to hit the Factory Settings option and start from scratch, but I really wanted to wait till I get the amp back for my sub (Velodyne HGS-12) before running the ARC again if possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

For 5.1 don't use any presets they're not needed. Make sure surrounds are hooked up to surround on the back of the receiver and not BACK.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #1267 of 16672 Old 01-04-2011, 10:03 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Hi,

I think people are making too much out of this issue. You shouldn't have to run ARC all the time unless you are planning on rearranging your living space and/or moving your speakers. After using Quick Measure and optimising my subwoofer and front speakers (centimeters do matter!) I can't foresee using ARC's microphone again until Anthem updates it where it requires new measurements. This may not be for months. I keep the serial cable attached to the Keyspan adapter with the cable attached to the MRX 500, wrapped up behind my center channel speaker so if I want to modify/tweak ARC's targets I can do so without having to get behind the gear. I bought a second-hand Windows XP laptop for $50 that is only used for this purpose.

Cheers.

Tony

Hi Tony,
I didn't really think I was making a big deal out of that issue, I was just curious at the cable lengths. I'm just trying to visualize how running ARC is going to work. I have a real PITA room I'm going to be working with, so I just want to be as prepared as possible. I totally understand the concept of keeping cables attatched. I don't plan on doing measurements often. Second one I'm sure I will do is when I do a sub upgrade.
I'm just a "details" guy, the wife calls it anal.
In any event, I'm just looking forward to getting my new 500. I think I'm more excited about this than the HDTV.
-Peter

"I'd start a revolution, if I could just get out of bed." -fetters
post #1268 of 16672 Old 01-04-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

For 5.1 don't use any presets they're not needed. Make sure surrounds are hooked up to surround on the back of the receiver and not BACK.
John

Surrounds work in every other playback mode other than the BDP. Is there a way to just shut off or ignore the presets?
post #1269 of 16672 Old 01-04-2011, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi,

if you are using a 5.1 system than the settings in the table above are exactly what you would want for Blu-Ray playback. One of the key things you need to do if you are not getting appropriate sound from the rear surrounds on your 5.1 setup is to go into the configuration and change it to Zone 2. H/W the entry from the user manual 3.2 Speaker Configuration:
Quote:

Aux Output:

Select Main Back, Main Ceiling, or Zone 2. ...

If you are using 5.1 speakers, use the Surround outputs and set Aux to Zone 2 so no sound is lost.

This will ensure that 7.1 audio from a Blu-Ray will be mapped to the surround channels.

If you are seeing DTS 3/2 then that is what is being output from the disk and it is working correctly. I can't speak to what the PS3 does but the Anthem will display whatever signal you are sending it over Bitstream (except DSD from SACDs).

In this instance the Dolby VS settings are not really applicable to what you are trying to do.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Tony
post #1270 of 16672 Old 01-04-2011, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

I can't speak to what the PS3 does but the Anthem will display whatever signal you are sending it over Bitstream (except DSD from SACDs).

Tony

Fat PS3's convert Hi-Def Audio to PCM.
New Thin PS3s can bit stream audio.

Since Kinolau is seeing PCM - I assume he has a FAT PS3.
If he presses the display button on the PS3 - he will see
the Hi-Def Audio info.
post #1271 of 16672 Old 01-04-2011, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanknuck View Post

Hi Tony,
I didn't really think I was making a big deal out of that issue, I was just curious at the cable lengths. I'm just trying to visualize how running ARC is going to work. I have a real PITA room I'm going to be working with, so I just want to be as prepared as possible. I totally understand the concept of keeping cables attatched. I don't plan on doing measurements often. Second one I'm sure I will do is when I do a sub upgrade.
I'm just a "details" guy, the wife calls it anal.
In any event, I'm just looking forward to getting my new 500. I think I'm more excited about this than the HDTV.
-Peter

Hi Peter,

you weren't ;-) Just wanted to let people know ARC, once you measure, is a "set and forget" thing. There is an initial hassle getting it set up the first time and since I only use Apple computers I had to hunt down a Windows PC laptop to buy/use... But it was well worth it. I used the long serial cable to move myself completely out of the area being measured and the USB microphone cable, the shorter of the two, connected to the laptop, on my basement steps. The laptop didn't have a working battery so I have to have it plugged to mains ;-) That's what you get for $50.

All the best. Cheers.

Tony
post #1272 of 16672 Old 01-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:

Hello
For the Oppo 83 set the HDMI output to Bitstream, and the SACD to PCM.
post #1273 of 16672 Old 01-04-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:

Why are you huddling? Is this your prime listening position? You are part of the room when you are listening.

It's a long story revolving around a dead laptop battery, limited outlets, and of course...the mic cable in question.

"I told my wife my A/V habit was as enjoyable as our sex life and she never touched my equipment again."
post #1274 of 16672 Old 01-04-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

Fat PS3's convert Hi-Def Audio to PCM.
New Thin PS3s can bit stream audio.

Since Kinolau is seeing PCM - I assume he has a FAT PS3.
If he presses the display button on the PS3 - he will see
the Hi-Def Audio info.

I can set the output to either Bitstream or PCM. When I switched to Bitstream, that's when the display stopped showing Multi PCM and switched to DTS 3/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post

Hello
For the Oppo 83 set the HDMI output to Bitstream, and the SACD to PCM.

I just ran the latest PS3 software update. Not sure what it entailed. But the HDMI output is set to Bitstream. Not sure about SACD. I don't see that option anywhere. But I just popped a DVD into the PS3 and now I have now audio output. Only video. The MRX display reads No Signal. Having a sandwich and running back through all my settings again to see if I can find the problem.
post #1275 of 16672 Old 01-04-2011, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

I can set the output to either Bitstream or PCM. When I switched to Bitstream, that's when the display stopped showing Multi PCM and switched to DTS 3/2

You did not say which version of PS3 you HAVE????????????
post #1276 of 16672 Old 01-04-2011, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes if you have the older model PS3 it will read HD audio codecs (True HD, and DTS Master), as PCM multi ch. Set the PS3 as PCM out and not Bitstream. Leave the Oppo set to bitstream for HDMI out. In the Oppo's Audio menu select for SACD playback either 2 ch, or 5.1 and then select PCM instead of DSD. It doesn't sound like you use SACD's?
post #1277 of 16672 Old 01-04-2011, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just ran the latest PS3 software update. Not sure what it entailed. But the HDMI output is set to Bitstream. Not sure about SACD. I don't see that option anywhere.

Hi,

SACD is short for Super-Audio Compact Disc and is a type of high-quality CD that only plays on special SACD players. It will not play in a normal CD player. Its native format is DSD which the Anthem can't process natively. In your case you don't have to worry about it.

If you put in a Blu-Ray check to see what type of audio is available (Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-Ray). It usually says on the cover and in the player's information screen when it is playing. If the Blu-Ray player outputs Bitstream then you will see the same information on the Anthem's display. Dolby 3/2 means 3 front channels and 2 surround channels. Dolby TrueHD would show up on the Anthem display as Dolby TruHD 3/4 for 3 front channels and 4 surrounds. If you chose the Zone 2 setting for your 5.1 it would map the rear back surrounds to the rear surrounds as the rear back surrounds are not used in a 5.1 system.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Tony
post #1278 of 16672 Old 01-04-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:

It's the older 80GB I believe. At least 2 1/2 years old. I rebooted everything and now I'm getting sound all around and Dolby 3/2 on the display. I've misplaced the DVD I was using to check DTS, but will check that as soon as it's located or when I get back with the movie I rented later (Inception). Thanks to everybody above so far. The help is much appreciated...
post #1279 of 16672 Old 01-04-2011, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's the older 80GB I believe. At least 2 1/2 years old. I rebooted everything and now I'm getting sound all around and Dolby 3/2 on the display. I've misplaced the DVD I was using to check DTS, but will check that as soon as it's located or when I get back with the movie I rented later (Inception).

? Why don't you watch Blue Rays, on the OPPO? That way you can bitstream the audio through the MRX. Why are you using the PS3 for Blue Rays?
post #1280 of 16672 Old 01-04-2011, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Is there any info about the upcoming iPod dock? Will it be a true digital interface like the Wadia?
post #1281 of 16672 Old 01-04-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post

? Why don't you watch Blue Rays, on the OPPO? That way you can bitstream the audio through the MRX. Why are you using the PS3 for Blue Rays?

I'm not sure what OPPO is?
post #1282 of 16672 Old 01-04-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:

...I used the long serial cable to move myself completely out of the area being measured and the USB microphone cable, the shorter of the two...

Quote:

Why are you huddling? Is this your prime listening position? You are part of the room when you are listening.

So, that brings me to this question...Is it more beneficial to be in the listening position while ARC is doing its thing? OR should you be out of the room?
Thanks for everyones help in the past and future. All this technology these days is exciting, and it feels good to be jumping in the 21st century feet first.
-Peter

post #1283 of 16672 Old 01-04-2011, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm not sure what OPPO is?

I am sorry, I thought I was replying to grovenstein's post.
post #1284 of 16672 Old 01-04-2011, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So, that brings me to this question...Is it more beneficial to be in the listening position while ARC is doing its thing? OR should you be out of the room?
Thanks for everyones help in the past and future. All this technology these days is exciting, and it feels good to be jumping in the 21st century feet first.
-Peter

Well, I have an adapter USB Cable that connects to the USB Cable that came with my ARC. This allows me to be out of the room when I take my measurements.
post #1285 of 16672 Old 01-04-2011, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

-Peter

You can be in the room but not blocking any of the speakers. Hide behind some furniture it gets loud during sweeps.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #1286 of 16672 Old 01-04-2011, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

-Peter

Peter,

I would say it would be best to stay out of the way of the measurements only because ARC is looking to have multiple positions from which to measure. Unless you want to have your family members sitting with you the whole time being subjected to frequency scans ;-)

What is really important though is to have the listening room setup exactly the way you intend to have it when playing music or watching home theatre etc. E.g. keep doors closed, blinds closed etc. as these can really have an important and perhaps negative effect on what ARC measures and corrects for. Everything below about 300Hz is your room so a door that is open will cause a suckout of audio pressure at a specific frequency etc. during the measurement process which ARC will correct for and then when you listen later on you close the door and effectively corrupt the ARC measurement.

Cheers.

Tony
post #1287 of 16672 Old 01-04-2011, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

Hide behind some furniture it gets loud during sweeps.
John

+1. That's why I get out of the room.
post #1288 of 16672 Old 01-04-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:

Hi,

Dolby 3/2 means 3 front channels and 2 surround channels. Dolby TrueHD would show up on the Anthem display as Dolby TruHD 3/4 for 3 front channels and 4 surrounds.

Tony

Thanks for this Tony. A great help

My problem is I have a 7.1 system, but just did a test with The Book of Eli and it said DTS 3/2. From this I assume it is not seeing my two rear speakers (which could explain why I am not feeling as engrossed in the sound as I should). Am I correct and if yes, how do I solve my problem?

Thanks so much
SIMON
post #1289 of 16672 Old 01-04-2011, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles17 View Post

Thanks for this Tony. A great help

My problem is I have a 7.1 system, but just did a test with The Book of Eli and it said DTS 3/2. From this I assume it is not seeing my two rear speakers (which could explain why I am not feeling as engrossed in the sound as I should). Am I correct and if yes, how do I solve my problem?

Thanks so much
SIMON

Simon,

in this case it looks like the Book of Eli output is putting out the DTS 3/2 signal from the Blu-Ray. Check the back of the Blu-Ray and see what it says for the Audio outputs (e.g. 5.1 or 7.1).

Cheers.

Tony
post #1290 of 16672 Old 01-04-2011, 12:48 PM

Thanks Tony/John/ninja,
I didn't realize it was that loud. I'll make sure I'm nearby, but out of the room.
-Peter

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx500 , Anthem Mrx300 , Anthem Mrx700 , Receivers Amplifiers , Component Amplifiers , 3d Hdtv , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread - Mrx500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page