Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 46 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1351 of 16555 Old 01-06-2011, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike645 View Post

If by replace you mean copy the new and delete the old then yes. The file names will not be the same due to the number so windows will not ask you if you want to replace.

Ok,
Got it. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 16555 Old 01-06-2011, 07:12 PM

Liked: 10
So I've got pretty much all components for my HT-- just TV hasn't arrived as yet.

BD Player: PS3 slim
AVR: Anathem 500
Speakers: B&W 600 series

TV: old 50" projection, new Panny 58VT25 should arrive in 2 weeks.

Now I'm having problem connecting my PS3. My old TV doesn't have HDMI so I have to use component between AVR and TV. Trying to connect PS3 thru HDMI to reciever and getting message like "the input content is copy protected, please use HDMI cable to connect to your TV". Tried to use composite cable from PS3 to AVR and there is no signal -- just black screen. Connecting PS3 to TV via composite works just fine.

Any ideas, am I missing some settings?
post #1353 of 16555 Old 01-06-2011, 08:46 PM

You are missing HDCP, which is what is stopping you from going from HDMI to an analog video path.

You either have to wait for your new TV or hook up your PS3 using something other than HDMI for now.
post #1354 of 16555 Old 01-07-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blambert007 View Post

thanks John for your reply. Below is what i received from Anthem.

Yes that will cause an issue.
COM ports can only be 1 through 6.
Baud rate also has to be set accordingly with the unit.

If you have installed the firmware for the KEYSPAN it should come with a configurator that will allow you to change this.

John GangGreenD and Trigger thank you very much for the help. Redirected the com port and it worked like a charm.
post #1355 of 16555 Old 01-08-2011, 09:48 AM

I read (or thought I read) that the mrx 500 supports wav up to 24/96... However I've copied some over to a USB hard drive and they either play back static or the menu says "unable to play".. 16/44 lossless wav files play back fine .. Are higher resolution wav files supported?? Anyone else have this problem ?? Thanks!!

Michael Maloney
post #1356 of 16555 Old 01-08-2011, 10:09 AM

Previously was undeceide between the MRX500 and 700. Went to compare the two and I was convinced the 700 is a better choice. Would like to clarify on specification/set-up issue before purchase:-

1) My source would mainly a HTPC with Asus Sound Card playing BR movies(bitstream to the MRX700 and output video to Pioneer 500A palsma), Would eager to know from HTPC user with similar equipement if there is any handshake issue (which I think is more common in non-Japanese brand receiver than Japanese brand receiver).
2) Sorry if this has been raised -Is the MRX700 of HDMI 1.4 hardware-wise, 3D upgrade is by future firmware upgrade(HOW SOON) for free?
3) Can the internet radio be routed to zone 2?
4) There is two bass management mode - movie and music. Can I set 7.1 normal speakers output in, say, movie mode and then use the music mode in the following case:-
whilst connceting 7.1 speakers to the 700(use moive mode for normal 5.1+SB), use the pre-out SB/VH to connect to an external amp with the purpose to drive 5.1 + VH speakers? (I am doubtful of this too but would like to know if there is any way to achieve this).

Thank you for any input in advance.
post #1357 of 16555 Old 01-08-2011, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Hey all, how do you do a factory reset? I have an MRX 700 and doing the update it now won't turn back on it just acts dead stays all lights off... Thanks alot!

Middle Tennessee & S.W. Florida
www.premieracousticlifestyles.com
see it. hear it. feel it.
Brad Bossman
post #1358 of 16555 Old 01-08-2011, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pal1982 View Post

Hey all, how do you do a factory reset? I have an MRX 700 and doing the update it now won't turn back on it just acts dead stays all lights off... Thanks alot!

You will probably have to try to reinstall the firmware.
post #1359 of 16555 Old 01-08-2011, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike645 View Post

You will probably have to try to reinstall the firmware.

I tried and it just sits there... The firmware program don't even move I even tried resetting it

Brad Bossman
post #1360 of 16555 Old 01-09-2011, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post

Ok,
Got it. Thanks.

Guy's I forgot,
Does the ARC software update get downloaded to the AVR, or the ARC software installed on my PC? My new MRX 700 will be delivered tomorrow.
post #1361 of 16555 Old 01-09-2011, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

There are lots of comments on the value of ARC for audio... But how is the video scaling of the MRX units? Any good?
post #1362 of 16555 Old 01-09-2011, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 65
Quote:

Guy's I forgot,
Does the ARC software update get downloaded to the AVR, or the ARC software installed on my PC? My new MRX 700 will be delivered tomorrow.

Hi,

you download it onto your PC. Everything with the ARC/MRX firmware is done via windows applications that connect via the RS-232 cable. (the multimedia update is slightly different as it is downloaded to the PC and then copied over to a USB flash drive which is then inserted into the front or back USB port)

Two ways of doing it.

1) run the ARC CD-ROM software that comes with the MRX to install everything onto your hard drive. Then download the updated ARC version and install that over top. This keeps the microphone calibration file.

2) just download and install the updated version of ARC from the internet and then open the ARC CD-ROM that came with the MRX and copy over the microphone calibration file.

either way works.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Tony
post #1363 of 16555 Old 01-09-2011, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Ok thanks,
What I meant to say was do you run the update through the AVR like the other update or do you run it over the existing original download from the ARC cd rom? I did this already but I just want to know if I have to it again with my replacement AVR?
post #1364 of 16555 Old 01-09-2011, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok thanks,
What I meant to say was do you run the update through the AVR like the other update or do you run it over the existing original download from the ARC cd rom? I did this already but I just want to know if I have to it again with my replacement AVR?

Hi,

if you already have the latest version of ARC (i.e. 3.01) on your PC all you need to do is copy over the calibration file to the PC.

With a replacement MRX I would plug it in and see what the information tells you about the versions. If they were the default versions I would install all the firmware & multimedia updates. Once these were completed I would then upload the ARC results from the PC to the replacement MRX provided you haven't changed any of the speaker or listener locations.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Tony
post #1365 of 16555 Old 01-09-2011, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks. I just hope the MM go's smoother this time!
post #1366 of 16555 Old 01-09-2011, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

I need to do a factory reset. My firmware update via rs-232 made the mrx700 turn off and it won't come back on, no lights nothing. Unplugged it and replugged it in nothing. It can't even reaccept the firmware update again... Help please!!!

Brad Bossman
post #1367 of 16555 Old 01-09-2011, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal1982 View Post

I need to do a factory reset. My firmware update via rs-232 made the mrx700 turn off and it won't come back on, no lights nothing. Unplugged it and replugged it in nothing. It can't even reaccept the firmware update again... Help please!!!

Hello,
It sounds like you have a major problem. Call the tech assist line @ 9:00 AM and they will try to help if not give you a swap ASAP.
post #1368 of 16555 Old 01-09-2011, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hello,
It sounds like you have a major problem. Call the tech assist line @ 9:00 AM and they will try to help if not give you a swap ASAP.

Thanks that's what I plan on doing we're a new Anthem/ Paradigm dealer in Tennessee and this has been bugging me. I appreciate all the help

Brad Bossman
post #1369 of 16555 Old 01-09-2011, 05:13 PM

Hi Guys
I,m new on this forum

a few days ago I bought MRX 700
Awesome A / V receiver.
The only problem I have is with the 3D. Does not work with PS3
Any idea ..why ?
I installed all the new update..
Thank you very much for any answer

cheers
Pix
post #1370 of 16555 Old 01-09-2011, 05:16 PM

Anthem still has not released their 3D firmware update. Still to come.
post #1371 of 16555 Old 01-09-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcmlutz View Post

Anthem still has not released their 3D firmware update. Still to come.

wcmlutz

Thank you very much for the answer..
post #1372 of 16555 Old 01-09-2011, 11:17 PM
lpw

I finally ran a proper ARC tonight with my subwoofer back from servicing. I've attached the charts below - can you guys please provide some feedback on how they look and if there's anything I should tweak?

Also to clarify - do I need to run "Quick Measure" every time I want to re-run ARC to reset levels? I previously ran ARC before tonight shortly after I got the MRX500 but I couldn't run it with the subwoofer which needed servicing. Therefore my MRX500 had an ARC file uploaded to it. So when it ran the test tones tonight, I'm assuming it's doing so with ARC off?

Secondly, I have Totem Forest floorstanders for my front mains. I'm guessing the full range capabilities of these speakers is why ARC set the cutoffs at 60Hz? The problem is that I had to dial the subwoofer volume to the 9 o'clock position because the ARC program indicated that the subwoofer was too loud. It also set the subwoofer level to -8. This coupled with the front mains AND center speaker being set at 60Hz cutoffs means I can barely hear the subwoofer now! Any advice on how to reconcile this?

Anyways, here are the charts - thanks in advance!

FRONTS

SURROUNDS

REAR BACK

CENTER & SUBWOOFER

Targets
post #1373 of 16555 Old 01-10-2011, 02:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpw View Post
I finally ran a proper ARC tonight with my subwoofer back from servicing. I've attached the charts below - can you guys please provide some feedback on how they look and if there's anything I should tweak?

Also to clarify - do I need to run "Quick Measure" every time I want to re-run ARC to reset levels? I previously ran ARC before tonight shortly after I got the MRX500 but I couldn't run it with the subwoofer which needed servicing. Therefore my MRX500 had an ARC file uploaded to it. So when it ran the test tones tonight, I'm assuming it's doing so with ARC off?

Secondly, I have Totem Forest floorstanders for my front mains. I'm guessing the full range capabilities of these speakers is why ARC set the cutoffs at 60Hz? The problem is that I had to dial the subwoofer volume to the 9 o'clock position because the ARC program indicated that the subwoofer was too loud. It also set the subwoofer level to -8. This coupled with the front mains AND center speaker being set at 60Hz cutoffs means I can barely hear the subwoofer now! Any advice on how to reconcile this?

Anyways, here are the charts - thanks in advance!

FRONTS

SURROUNDS

REAR BACK

CENTER & SUBWOOFER

Targets
Hi,

overall the charts look good. The only thing that stands out is the big dip from 1-5kHz on the center channel which ARC tries to correct for. Where is the center channel situated in reference to the microphones?

Normally you shouldn't adjust the subwoofer volume after ARC has set the channel measurement. Did you check the phase setting on the subwoofer?

Cheers.

Tony
post #1374 of 16555 Old 01-10-2011, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rklpoon View Post
Previously was undeceide between the MRX500 and 700. Went to compare the two and I was convinced the 700 is a better choice. Would like to clarify on specification/set-up issue before purchase:-

1) My source would mainly a HTPC with Asus Sound Card playing BR movies(bitstream to the MRX700 and output video to Pioneer 500A palsma), Would eager to know from HTPC user with similar equipement if there is any handshake issue (which I think is more common in non-Japanese brand receiver than Japanese brand receiver).
2) Sorry if this has been raised -Is the MRX700 of HDMI 1.4 hardware-wise, 3D upgrade is by future firmware upgrade(HOW SOON) for free?
3) Can the internet radio be routed to zone 2?
4) There is two bass management mode - movie and music. Can I set 7.1 normal speakers output in, say, movie mode and then use the music mode in the following case:-
whilst connceting 7.1 speakers to the 700(use moive mode for normal 5.1+SB), use the pre-out SB/VH to connect to an external amp with the purpose to drive 5.1 + VH speakers? (I am doubtful of this too but would like to know if there is any way to achieve this).

Thank you for any input in advance.
Would appreciate any comments.
post #1375 of 16555 Old 01-10-2011, 08:57 AM
lpw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO1 View Post
Hi,

overall the charts look good. The only thing that stands out is the big dip from 1-5kHz on the center channel which ARC tries to correct for. Where is the center channel situated in reference to the microphones?

Normally you shouldn't adjust the subwoofer volume after ARC has set the channel measurement. Did you check the phase setting on the subwoofer?

Cheers.

Tony
The center channel sits on top of my a/v console which is about 11 ft from the listener position, same distance as the main fronts. I do have my small HTPC adjacent to the center speaker on one side because I don't have room right now to put it inside the a/v console. Do you think that could be the cause?

I've toggled the phase switch from 0 to 180 degrees and I can't notice any differences.

I noticed that ARC set the speaker levels at anywhere from +6 to +9 for all the speakers except for the sub, which was set to -8. The funny thing is that the first time I ran ARC a month ago (without the sub), ARC only set the levels at +1 to +3, so I don't know what has changed to have caused ARC to ramp up the speaker levels so high compared to last month. Actually, one other difference is that I put the microphone on top of my L-shaped sectional instead of in front of it because the chaise part of the "L" makes it impossible to place the microphone for position #2 or #3 if I chose the microphone placement for in front of the sofa.

Thanks!
post #1376 of 16555 Old 01-10-2011, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
lpw, I believe ARC has to set speaker levels within the MRX's useable range. It appears that the your sub internal volume was set way too high, so ARC compensated by raising the levels of the other speakers to bring the sub within range. I suggest backing off the sub volume and then rerun ARC. As far as the sub volume not being to your liking after ARC, just bump it up until you are satisfied. Some folks, actually most, prefer to run their sub hotter than what many correction systems suggest. ARC nailed it for me, but with my former Audyssey equipped AVR, I had to bump it up a couple dB afterwards to get it right.

Quote:
The center channel sits on top of my a/v console which is about 11 ft from the listener position, same distance as the main fronts. I do have my small HTPC adjacent to the center speaker on one side because I don't have room right now to put it inside the a/v console. Do you think that could be the cause?

I've toggled the phase switch from 0 to 180 degrees and I can't notice any differences.

I noticed that ARC set the speaker levels at anywhere from +6 to +9 for all the speakers except for the sub, which was set to -8. The funny thing is that the first time I ran ARC a month ago (without the sub), ARC only set the levels at +1 to +3, so I don't know what has changed to have caused ARC to ramp up the speaker levels so high compared to last month. Actually, one other difference is that I put the microphone on top of my L-shaped sectional instead of in front of it because the chaise part of the "L" makes it impossible to place the microphone for position #2 or #3 if I chose the microphone placement for in front of the sofa.

Thanks!
post #1377 of 16555 Old 01-10-2011, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC
lpw, I believe ARC has to set speaker levels within the MRX's useable range. It appears that the your sub internal volume was set way too high, so ARC compensated by raising the levels of the other speakers to bring the sub within range. I suggest backing off the sub volume and then rerun ARC. As far as the sub volume not being to your liking after ARC, just bump it up until you are satisfied. Some folks, actually most, prefer to run their sub hotter than what many correction systems suggest. ARC nailed it for me, but with my former Audyssey equipped AVR, I had to bump it up a couple dB afterwards to get it right.
I will second this suggestion. I had an issue where my D1 got confused about the trim settings, a factory reset fixed it. If the levels are really starting that far apart you need to fix. If not do a factory settings load.
post #1378 of 16555 Old 01-10-2011, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks!
Hi,

I was thinking that perhaps the center channel was pointed too low or too high for the microphone (e.g. on top of the TV or below it but not angled to provide the right elevation to position the tweeter at ear level). What brand/model of center channel do you have?

As for the reference levels it is hard to say. For the subwoofer the volume knob may be too high which is why it is adjusted within ARC. My subwoofer volume is at about 9 o'clock on the dial and ARC has adjusted it by -1 dB. For the phase find some good signals with repetitive low bass (>30 and <60Hz) and then either switch it yourself or ideally have someone toggle the phase switch from the primary listening position. You will definitely notice when it is in/out of phase.

From what I have read in the ARC post in the forum and through longtime forum ARC experts (e.g. Bob etc.) and based on the picture in the ARC manual it is recommended to have the microphones in front of the sofa backs etc. and at ear height. You can put the microphone above the sofa back as long as it is a few inches higher and pointed straight up. When sitting on the sofa my ear is approximately 41" from the floor so I setup the microphone on the tripod with the tip at exactly that height to make the measurements. As my Revel C12 center channel speakers sits under my TV I put some risers underneath it (shaped like a door stop) to angle it so that the tweeter is aimed at the primary listening spot. You can easily verify this with a laser pointer held alongside the outside of the center channel speaker at the same height as the tweeter and then pointed at the microphone. This helps optimize the speaker/listener locations so that ARC has the best conditions under which to perform its measurements.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Tony
post #1379 of 16555 Old 01-10-2011, 10:18 AM
lpw

Thanks Tony, Brac and video_bit - all great info! I will re-run ARC with some of those suggestions. The only other annoyance that I have is that my MRX500 has randomly "locked up" more than a handful of times. I have the latest firmware and software. Another poster mentioned this about 6-7 pages back about this same issue so I'm wondering if more of you have encountered this.

Basically, the MRX500 will be on and working fine, and then it will not receive any commands from the remote and even pressing the power toggle button on the unit's front panel has no effect. I have to unplug the power cord and plug it back in before normal operations can resume. Similarly, I've had instances where the unit is in a powered-off state and it won't turn on through the remote or the power toggle button on the front. Again, I have to unplug and then plug it back in before the unit works properly.

When I was uploading the ARC file to the MRX500 last night, it actually powered off in the middle of the upload! I had to unplug and plug it back in so that the uploading could resume and complete. Weird. I've emailed Tech Support and I'm waiting for a response.
post #1380 of 16555 Old 01-10-2011, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks Tony, Brac and video_bit - all great info! I will re-run ARC with some of those suggestions. The only other annoyance that I have is that my MRX500 has randomly "locked up" more than a handful of times. I have the latest firmware and software. Another poster mentioned this about 6-7 pages back about this same issue so I'm wondering if more of you have encountered this.

Basically, the MRX500 will be on and working fine, and then it will not receive any commands from the remote and even pressing the power toggle button on the unit's front panel has no effect. I have to unplug the power cord and plug it back in before normal operations can resume. Similarly, I've had instances where the unit is in a powered-off state and it won't turn on through the remote or the power toggle button on the front. Again, I have to unplug and then plug it back in before the unit works properly.

When I was updating software v50.02 last night, the MRX500 actually powered off in the middle of the updating process! I had to unplug and plug it back in so that the updating could resume and complete. Weird. I've emailed Tech Support and I'm waiting for a response.

IPW,
The AVR is supposed to shut off during the v50.02 upgrade.
It is part of the upgrade cycle. It comes back on further into the upload. Does the same thing when using ARC.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx500 , Anthem Mrx300 , Anthem Mrx700 , Receivers Amplifiers , Component Amplifiers , 3d Hdtv , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page