Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 49 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1441 of 16880 Old 01-12-2011, 05:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a question concerning the number of inputs on the MRX300. How many different inputs can be configured? I see only 6 input choices on the front panel, since media is not supported by MRX300 and tuner is already built in. Is it correct that your can configure only 6 different inputs, meaning using only 6 sources?

I would appreciate a reply by someone who has one of these receivers.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 16880 Old 01-12-2011, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked: 1037
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post
Hello,
I think you mean that you can't get to the audio modes? What you have to do is press the audio button, I think 2x and then press the up button to cycle through the various audio modes.
No.. I mean when I switch through the audio modes, I can't see what I am doing on screen...

It looks like the OSD is only volume, input switch and setup menu....
post #1443 of 16880 Old 01-12-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinolau View Post
Hi!

I'm been following this thread for a bit now and picked an MRX 500 last week. The set-up and the ARC went smoothly and without any issues. The problem I'm having that concerns me right now...is that the receiver has locked up on me several times over the past two days. The display shoes the selected mode, but nothing else. The first time it happened the guy at the shop suggested I unplug the unit and let it rest for a bit before plugging it back in. I hate doing that with a brand new piece of equipment, but it did work as far as getting the receiver working correctly again. Until tonight. It's locked up on me twice tonight. Another time tonight, while I was surfing the On Demand stations...the audio dropped out completely. When I tried to switch to another mode, the loss of audio was still present...and the receiver locked up on me again when I tried to switch to yet another mode. Locked up means that it's completely unresponsive to any controls, and cannot be shut off by any means other than unplugging it from the power source.

I tried to contact Anthem, but they were closed when I called. Has this happened to anybody else? I did search this thread but didn't find anything that related to the problem I'm having. I'm thinking that the next step might be to try a factory reset, or perhaps a firmware update. It looks like I'm running V40.08 currently.

Thanks in advance,
Walt
ha...ha... I have same problem with my MRX-500! Internet radio works for awhole then sound starts cutting out then it totally locks up! Turn power off then on and you can use it again, then the same lockup problem starts! I emailed Anthem about this 2 months ago and still no fix...
post #1444 of 16880 Old 01-12-2011, 07:00 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike645 View Post
By adjusting the room gain ARC still knows what's going on and can still maintain the adjustment of the "splice" between the sub and the main.

On the targets window you can adjust the room gain value (db) to something other than what ARC measures in the room. Raising it will increase the hump seen in the graphs.
Just wondering here .. if the goal is to remove the room's influence on how the system/content sounds and produce the sound heard by the mixer, then why wouldn't room gain be treated just like everything else the room does to the content?

If the answer is "preference" then that would explain it. We go round and round with that a lot on the Audyssey thread.

Jeff
post #1445 of 16880 Old 01-12-2011, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 28
How do these recievers compare soundwise to the d2v and avm50v?
post #1446 of 16880 Old 01-12-2011, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post
No.. I mean when I switch through the audio modes, I can't see what I am doing on screen...

Ok,
Sorry. Hey let us know what you think of your 700 after you ARC it up. I just watched Devil ( I know you were involved in the audio of this movie), on my MRX 700, and it sounded AMAZING!
post #1447 of 16880 Old 01-12-2011, 07:31 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO1 View Post
Hi Jeff,

I believe Anthem is identifying that every room has a natural, latent gain, based around the standing waves and the modal frequencies that couple with the boundaries of the room, furniture locations and the early reflections. Their goal is to attempt to preserve this natural gain, where they have measured it, so as to maintain the natural resonances in the room. In other words you don't want a perfectly flat frequency response like you would have in an anechoic chamber. Each room has resonances and reflections that are unique and ARC measurements based around their signal generations across all the tested speakers and microphone positions are meant to identify them and maintain them (e.g. the specific room timbre if you will).

Please note that this is how I am interpreting it based upon the research of Dr. Toole, Dr. Olive and others in all of their scientific research into speakers and rooms. This may not exactly match with what Anthem means.

Cheers.

Tony
Thanks, Tony. Just getting caught up here and I have replied to a previous post with my question about removing the room's "signature" from the reproduced sound. I am thinking that this is an area where Anthem and Audyssey might differ.

Jeff
post #1448 of 16880 Old 01-12-2011, 07:59 AM
lpw

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenzhen dude View Post
ha...ha... I have same problem with my MRX-500! Internet radio works for awhole then sound starts cutting out then it totally locks up! Turn power off then on and you can use it again, then the same lockup problem starts! I emailed Anthem about this 2 months ago and still no fix...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinolau View Post
Hi!

I'm been following this thread for a bit now and picked an MRX 500 last week. The set-up and the ARC went smoothly and without any issues. The problem I'm having that concerns me right now...is that the receiver has locked up on me several times over the past two days. The display shoes the selected mode, but nothing else. The first time it happened the guy at the shop suggested I unplug the unit and let it rest for a bit before plugging it back in. I hate doing that with a brand new piece of equipment, but it did work as far as getting the receiver working correctly again. Until tonight. It's locked up on me twice tonight. Another time tonight, while I was surfing the On Demand stations...the audio dropped out completely. When I tried to switch to another mode, the loss of audio was still present...and the receiver locked up on me again when I tried to switch to yet another mode. Locked up means that it's completely unresponsive to any controls, and cannot be shut off by any means other than unplugging it from the power source.

I tried to contact Anthem, but they were closed when I called. Has this happened to anybody else? I did search this thread but didn't find anything that related to the problem I'm having. I'm thinking that the next step might be to try a factory reset, or perhaps a firmware update. It looks like I'm running V40.08 currently.

Thanks in advance,
Walt
I've also had these lock-ups, more often to think there's something else going on other than pure random chance. Anthem support has asked me to check my speaker connections to make sure none of the connectors are touching and creating a short. I re-did some of the speaker cable connections and will see if that was the cause of the lock-ups.
post #1449 of 16880 Old 01-12-2011, 08:08 AM

Finally pulled the trigger and bought the MRX700.

First impression is good but I was pre-occupied with one big problem (as expected, computer heck thing). I am using the ATI4350 display card and the ASUS Xonar HDAV 1.3 sound card bitstreaming to the MRX700. When I played a few movies I first noticed the volume and the power is not enough even at -9 volume scale. Later found out this was due to my setting of 7.1 channels in the TMT player outputing LPCM(changed to this setting because the 5507 was sold). But after I set this to HDMI under TMT player, there was no sound from the 700 and no audio signal is displayed in the display unit. If switched back to 7.1 channels then have sound but is only displayed as LPCM only.

If using the BDP as source, there is no such problem(DTS-HDMA displayed in the display of MRX700) and the sound pressure is enough even at -28 volume scale.

Will try re-install the TMT player. Would appreciate any comment.

BTW, my firmware versions of MRX700 are:-
MCU F/W ver 40.08
Video ver 40.06
DSP1 ver 40.01
DSP 2 ver 40.01
MM F/W version V1.0.0

Are the above the latest or install the laterst firmware(all or some of them) would help?
post #1450 of 16880 Old 01-12-2011, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rklpoon View Post
Finally pulled the trigger and bought the MRX700.

First impression is good but I was pre-occupied with one big problem (as expected, computer heck thing). I am using the ATI4350 display card and the ASUS Xonar HDAV 1.3 sound card bitstreaming to the MRX700. When I played a few movies I first noticed the volume and the power is not enough even at -9 volume scale. Later found out this was due to my setting of 7.1 channels in the TMT player outputing LPCM(changed to this setting because the 5507 was sold). But after I set this to HDMI under TMT player, there was no sound from the 700 and no audio signal is displayed in the display unit. If switched back to 7.1 channels then have sound but is only displayed as LPCM only.

If using the BDP as source, there is no such problem(DTS-HDMA displayed in the display of MRX700) and the sound pressure is enough even at -28 volume scale.

Will try re-install the TMT player. Would appreciate any comment.

BTW, my firmware versions of MRX700 are:-
MCU F/W ver 40.08
Video ver 40.06
DSP1 ver 40.01
DSP 2 ver 40.01
MM F/W version V1.0.0

Are the above the latest or install the laterst firmware(all or some of them) would help?
Hello,
Did you go to the Anthem web site and download the latest versions of firmware. It sounds like you have the firmware that came with the 700? I know the new version is 50.2 and the MM is 1.0.1. Also turn off Dolby Volume in your 700. The new firmware version will keep it turned off. Have you run ARC yet? If not upload the new version of ARC as well.
post #1451 of 16880 Old 01-12-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post

Hello,
Did you go to the Anthem web site and download the latest versions of firmware. It sounds like you have the firmware that came with the 700? I know the new version is 50.2 and the MM is 1.0.1. Also turn off Dolby Volume in your 700. The new firmware version will keep it turned off. Have you run ARC yet? If not upload the new version of ARC as well.

Thank you for your input.

Problem solved. Spotted a new version of sound card driver-Xonar HDAV Center vesion 5.12.8.1792 in the ASUS web site. Installed this and all of a sudden the HDMI option of TMT player can bitstream DTS-HDMA to MRX700.

Will try out the latest firmware later. I am inclined to the saying that if it is playing with no problem then don't bother to upgrade firmware(especially if thing goes wrong during upgrading firmware, it will become nasty).
post #1452 of 16880 Old 01-12-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

I noticed the same thing. I was expecting a little more on-screen info. As long as you can turn it off and change the on-screen time, it seems like a good idea to duplicate on the screen the info that is on the LED display for those who have their equipment in a cabinet or closet. Sounds like a good candidate for a firmware update. They could even add different Video Status modes: Off, Basic (same as the current On), Complete (show the same info as LED).
post #1453 of 16880 Old 01-12-2011, 10:16 AM

Ive been a proud owner of the MRX 700 for about 2 weeks now. I also picked up a pair of Studio 100s and a CC-590. Still breaking in the Studios, but Ive read so much about ARC I want to give it a try. Please take a look at the below and advise of what changes I should make. You guys are excellent at reading these and have given solid advice to other. I appreciate any ones input in advance.

Sorry i could get the charts to paste into the thread

Thanks-Bryan

Speaker configs 1-11-11.doc 234.5k . file
Attached Files
File Type: doc Speaker configs 1-11-11.doc (234.5 KB, 16 views)
post #1454 of 16880 Old 01-12-2011, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

ARC does a better job measuring than the RS meter. Second, after ARC correction is uploaded, if you use any meter it will not give trim levels equal over all the speakers. A good resource for people on this thread with questions about ARC, should check the FAQ on the Anthem Statement thread or even post some questions about ARC there. These guys have been using it for several years and can be very helpful.
John

Yes, I'm sure you are right. The calibrated ARC mic should be much more accurate. My only goal with the RS meter was to compare levels across all six channels in an attempt to dial the sub to preference. Any inaccuracies with my mic should be applied across all channels anyway. As it turns out, after a bit of testing, I ended up back where ARC initially set the sub. Nice! Btw, my meter was showing 75dB across all channels, except for the sub which was showing 76dB "uncorrected".

I'm currently trying to find out if the usual RS meter correction even applies for the test signal I used here. If not, I may actually be closer to level than I originally thought. I will report back...
post #1455 of 16880 Old 01-12-2011, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blambert007 View Post

I've been a proud owner of the MRX 700 for about 2 weeks now. I also picked up a pair of Studio 100's and a CC-590. Still breaking in the Studio's, but I've read so much about ARC I want to give it a try. Please take a look at the below and advise of what changes I should make. You guys are excellent at reading these and have given solid advice to other. I appreciate any ones input in advance.

Sorry i could get the charts to paste into the thread

Thanks-Bryan

Save the charts as a screen capture and paste them into paint in widows. Then upload them using the "manage attachments" when replying. BTW I have the 100s and a cc690. They sound fabulous with ARC.
John
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #1456 of 16880 Old 01-12-2011, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post

Yes, I'm sure you are right. The calibrated ARC mic should be much more accurate. My only goal with the RS meter was to compare levels across all six channels in an attempt to dial the sub to preference. Any inaccuracies with my mic should be applied across all channels anyway. As it turns out, after a bit of testing, I ended up back where ARC initially set the sub. Nice! Btw, my meter was showing 75dB across all channels, except for the sub which was showing 76dB "uncorrected".

I'm currently trying to find out if the usual RS meter correction even applies for the test signal I used here. If not, I may actually be closer to level than I originally thought. I will report back...

ARC is wise
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #1457 of 16880 Old 01-12-2011, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Just wondering here .. if the goal is to remove the room's influence on how the system/content sounds and produce the sound heard by the mixer, then why wouldn't room gain be treated just like everything else the room does to the content?

If the answer is "preference" then that would explain it. We go round and round with that a lot on the Audyssey thread.

Jeff

Movie Mixers assume there is about a 3db room gain so mix based on that. There is less assumed standards by music mixers but the statement guys have been generally using about 1 db less for the music configuration.
post #1458 of 16880 Old 01-12-2011, 12:09 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

Movie Mixers assume there is about a 3db room gain so mix based on that. There is less assumed standards by music mixers but the statement guys have been generally using about 1 db less for the music configuration.

They assume that? I've never heard that before. In fact, I've heard that their systems are all calibrated to one standard and they EQ/mix so that the content sounds "right" on their systems. I am familiar with music being checked on monitors that are more "home-like."

Jeff
post #1459 of 16880 Old 01-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

They assume that? I've never heard that before. In fact, I've heard that their systems are all calibrated to one standard and they EQ/mix so that the content sounds "right" on their systems.

Jeff

I don't know this first hand but am repeating what I have learned in the Statement thread on ARC.
post #1460 of 16880 Old 01-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks. I'll check their website.

Jeff

Not a different website but different thread on this site.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=19813535
post #1461 of 16880 Old 01-12-2011, 12:36 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

Not a different website but different thread on this site.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=19813535

Geez, I'll never find the source of that. The thread is littered with references to "Room Gain." I think I'll leave my assessment at it being a preference adjustment unless someone can point me to a white paper or something on their website.

An actual "FilmMixer" will be getting his 700 any day now and I am looking forward to his comments. He has used Audyssey as well.

Jeff
post #1462 of 16880 Old 01-12-2011, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Geez, I'll never find the source of that. The thread is littered with references to "Room Gain." I think I'll leave my assessment at it being a preference adjustment unless someone can point me to a white paper or something on their website.

An actual "FilmMixer" will be getting his 700 any day now and I am looking forward to his comments. He has used Audyssey as well.

Jeff

Try this. Bob Pariseau is our Guru of all things ARC. He hasn't been around much the last few weeks.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post19503344
post #1463 of 16880 Old 01-12-2011, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

Try this. Bob Pariseau is our Guru of all things ARC. He hasn't been around much the last few weeks.

Maybe Bob Finally found a PAYING JOB - he has been looking.
post #1464 of 16880 Old 01-12-2011, 01:10 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post19503344

I found his posts and made a mental note that he seemed like the go to guy for Anthem.

Jeff
post #1465 of 16880 Old 01-12-2011, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

I found his posts and made a mental note that he seemed like the go to guy for Anthem.

Jeff

Don't FORGET jayray - He is an Anthem Expert.
post #1466 of 16880 Old 01-12-2011, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

Don't FORGET jayray - He is an Anthem Expert.

Thanks drhankz.
Nick at Anthem has stated many times that sounds will appear more natural when room gain is preserved. A flat freq. response would sound sterile and apparently does when room gain is absent. Audyssey doesn't do that so just another reason ARC sounds better. If anyone thinks this is about personal preference, just set Room Gain to 0 and give it a listen.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #1467 of 16880 Old 01-12-2011, 01:57 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

Thanks drhankz.
Nick at Anthem has stated many times that sounds will appear more natural when room gain is preserved. A flat freq. response would sound sterile and apparently does when room gain is absent. Audyssey doesn't do that so just another reason ARC sounds better. If anyone thinks this is about personal preference, just set Room Gain to 0 and give it a listen.
John

Thanks, jayray, I'm more interested in the science behind it. I don't think, at least initially, very few of us can trust our ears. Your bolded statement sounds exactly like preference. It's OK if that's what it is, but I don't think they should be confused.

My thinking is that the more the room's influence is removed, the closer the content will be to what the mixing engineer heard. Is there something I am misinformed about in that?

Jeff
post #1468 of 16880 Old 01-12-2011, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, jayray, I'm more interested in the science behind it. I don't think, at least initially, very few of us can trust our ears. Your bolded statement sounds exactly like preference. It's OK if that's what it is, but I don't think they should be confused.

My thinking is that the more the room's influence is removed, the closer the content will be to what the mixing engineer heard. Is there something I am misinformed about in that?

Jeff

It is rare if ever that anyone in the Anthem statement thread has foregone Room Gain only to tell us how wonderful it sounded. If this is preference you'd think someone would prefer Room Gain not be considered but I can't remember a single case.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #1469 of 16880 Old 01-12-2011, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Jeff

I believe it came from research at the National Research Council in Canada. You might be able to find some papers on it.
post #1470 of 16880 Old 01-12-2011, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Beta firmware now being tested for 3D capability. Depending on how testing goes, could be out soon.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx500 , Anthem Mrx300 , Anthem Mrx700 , Receivers Amplifiers , Component Amplifiers , 3d Hdtv , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread - Mrx500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page