Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 549 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-08-2014, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon Fan View Post

Is it beneficial to run room correction for 2 channel setup? Thanks
Yes even in a 2 channel system you will still benefit from ARC. ARC will smooth out the response so you will hear your speakers and not the room's effect on your speakers.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2014, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thank you. I just purchased the receiver new from a local dealer at a great price. I have a room of all wood including the ceiling. It sounds great, and is an improvement over my old HK AVR, but i know it could do better. Right now, I have a 5.1 system with the Millenia 200s and the 20 center and ADPs. We will be moving to a smaller place and I am ordering the Studio 20s And will run 2.1. Thanks again.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:11 AM

Liked: 10
Quick question it's been a while since I had a MRX300 and can't remember whether there is a discrete code to switch from music to movie profiles. Basically I have a TV and PJ set up and would want one profile for each. The PJ has no centre as I currently don't have an AT screen and the screen goes in front of the speaker. So all sources for the PJ would need no centre. The same sources when using the Tv would have centre working.

Ideally I wouldn't have to go into the Anthem Menu each time and swap over Music/Movie? If I have to how many button presses is it to change movie to music?

Just considering coming back to Anthem........
Old 04-14-2014, 04:25 PM

I know has to be in these threads somewhere,but what DAC is used in the MRX 300. So far, I am really enjoying it. Thanks for any responses.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon Fan View Post

I know has to be in these threads somewhere,but what DAC is used in the MRX 300. So far, I am really enjoying it. Thanks for any responses.
The DACs used in the 700 are the same used in the 500 and 300 and you can find the 700 DACs in this article. http://www.laaudiofile.com/anthem_mrx700.html

Old 04-15-2014, 01:46 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post

The DACs used in the 700 are the same used in the 500 and 300 and you can find the 700 DACs in this article. http://www.laaudiofile.com/anthem_mrx700.html

Great article! Here's the good part:

The main processing board has two Texas Instruments TMS320D788 32-bit Digital Signal Processor (DSP) chips to handle the Dolby Digital and DTS as well as other functions. The 8-channel audio is converted from the digital domain to the analog world using a Cirrus Logic CS42528 multi-channel DAC. The analog audio runs through an 8-channel volume control (R2A15218FP) chip, which is the same device we have seen in other A/V receivers including Denon and Yamaha. The 7.1 channel preouts run through JCR 2068D opamps before exiting the rear panel. Also included on this board is an ST Microelectronics STM32F103 high-performance 32-Bit ARM Cortex-M3 Processor.

Anthem MRX-500 - Vincent SAV-P200 - RAW Acoustics Lambda Plus arrays, Apex C II center - HT4 tower surrounds - CSS WR.30 sides - Rythmik FV15HP - Vizio XVT553SV - Xbox One - Xbox 360 - WD Live TV - QNAP TS212 NAS w/WD Red drives - APC H15BLK
Old 04-15-2014, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emetw View Post

Great article! Here's the good part:

The main processing board has two Texas Instruments TMS320D788 32-bit Digital Signal Processor (DSP) chips to handle the Dolby Digital and DTS as well as other functions. The 8-channel audio is converted from the digital domain to the analog world using a Cirrus Logic CS42528 multi-channel DAC. The analog audio runs through an 8-channel volume control (R2A15218FP) chip, which is the same device we have seen in other A/V receivers including Denon and Yamaha. The 7.1 channel preouts run through JCR 2068D opamps before exiting the rear panel. Also included on this board is an ST Microelectronics STM32F103 high-performance 32-Bit ARM Cortex-M3 Processor.
Sounds good!...I also wondered what DACs the 300 used...since any source running into the mrx goes thru there DAC then arc before being released to the speakers....it does sound like a good setup..DAC wise.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esh516 View Post

Sounds good!...I also wondered what DACs the 300 used...since any source running into the mrx goes thru there DAC then arc before being released to the speakers....it does sound like a good setup..DAC wise.

Per the article, the 300, 500 and 700 are all the same regarding DAC so what you're hearing is the Cirrus Logic CS42528.

Anthem MRX-500 - Vincent SAV-P200 - RAW Acoustics Lambda Plus arrays, Apex C II center - HT4 tower surrounds - CSS WR.30 sides - Rythmik FV15HP - Vizio XVT553SV - Xbox One - Xbox 360 - WD Live TV - QNAP TS212 NAS w/WD Red drives - APC H15BLK
Old 04-15-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post

Thanks for the information. My old HK uses the same DAC. and there is a resemblance in sound , IMO . The Anthem has more detail. I probably should have waited to get the 310, but I thought the price for a new 700 was too good to pass up.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:13 AM

I am willing to bet that most of the work went into the preamp section. It is much more detailed/dynamic than any other receiver I have used but no surprise with 4.9v preamp voltage on tap. Assuming it is the same system driving the internal amps.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:12 AM

Anthem Is Deaf to Quad: Does This Affect You ?

Hi Folks - first time posting in this thread.

I'm dropping in from the Anthem Statement thread, to ask if any MRX owners experience this problem, and would they like to do something about it.

I suspect there's a family resemblance between the MRX and Statement line, when it comes to 4.0-channel PCM > HDMI playback. If you never listen to Quardaphonic music, please ignore the rest of this message.

OK... anybody left ? Well then, here goes...

Anthem does not recognize four channel PCM input over the HDMI connection (...at least not in the pre-pro units). To confirm you are affected by this design feature, play this multi-channel FLAC file over an HDMI connection:
[4.0] Lf-Rf+Ls-Rs (24b-48K).flac

If your MRX reacts like my Statement D2, the track will indicate Stereo input, and only the front L/R speakers will sound (...unless you have a 2-CH > Surround mode set for that input). Frustratingly, there is nothing Anthem Support can/will do to alter this (ie: firmware fix).

But... there is now Hope on The Horizon for quad playback.

My main source is an HTPC, running xbmc, and a specific fix for Anthem AVRs is in the works - latest details are in this post. At last, Alan Parsons original quad mix of DSoTM - as it should be heard smile.gif

If you can check off all the boxes, and feel your MRX should be included in the fix, feel free to PM me for further detail and contact info. I will presume you've read and understood the posts linked above.

Happy Listening, and Welcome to The Seventies...

nb: cross-posted in the other MRX thread for completeness
Old 04-20-2014, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emetw View Post

I am willing to bet that most of the work went into the preamp section. It is much more detailed/dynamic than any other receiver I have used but no surprise with 4.9v preamp voltage on tap. Assuming it is the same system driving the internal amps.
Yeah whatever they did, they sure did one hell of a job. The MRX series sounds better than any receiver or pre/pro I've ever owned.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:12 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Does ARC work with windows 8.1?

Sierra-2 LCR
HTM-200 rears
Rythmik E15HP
Anthem MRX-300
Samsung 8550 UHD
-$8500ish : (
Old 04-23-2014, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Does any one know if you unplug the mrx
( I'm replacing the power cord).. Does it erase all the settings and do I have to re run arc??.. Thanks.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

( I'm replacing the power cord).. Does it erase all the settings and do I have to re run arc??.. Thanks.

It's OK you don't lose your settings or ARC I've done it many times.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:

Definitely not. That would be a major design flaw in my opinion!

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
Old 04-23-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABrah View Post

Does ARC work with windows 8.1?

Yes! Just performed ARC on 8.1 a few weeks ago, worked great smile.gif
JustABrah likes this.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm so frustrated today. I've had my room acoustically treated and want to re-run ARC. Unfortunately, my company gave me a new computer and after installing ARC (and my Perfect Bass Kit software) the machine will not recognize either of the microphones. I get a failed to install message during driver installation, and when I look at recording devices the microphone doesn't exist. I've read countless trouble-shooting threads but not one mentions how to finish the microphone install. I'm hoping there is a driver out there and I can manually update it so the mic will be functional and recognized.

Anyone else go through this and come out successful? I know many are using Win 7 (which is on my new laptop) successfully. My previous laptop was XP Professional.

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
Old 04-28-2014, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

I'm so frustrated today. I've had my room acoustically treated and want to re-run ARC. Unfortunately, my company gave me a new computer and after installing ARC (and my Perfect Bass Kit software) the machine will not recognize either of the microphones. I get a failed to install message during driver installation, and when I look at recording devices the microphone doesn't exist. I've read countless trouble-shooting threads but not one mentions how to finish the microphone install. I'm hoping there is a driver out there and I can manually update it so the mic will be functional and recognized.

Anyone else go through this and come out successful? I know many are using Win 7 (which is on my new laptop) successfully. My previous laptop was XP Professional.

Did you install PBK and ARC from the the CD or did you download from
Anthem? If you downloaded from the internet the files will not contain
the specific Microphone calibration file. it is only on the install discs.

I have this saved on my desktop...maybe it will help
Windows7ARCSetup.pdf 1370k .pdf file

My company did the same thing to me... XP Pro to Win 7 Pro.
No disc drive on the new computer...I Have not needed to re-do ARC
and frankly am chicken to try.wink.gif
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Windows7ARCSetup.pdf (1.34 MB, 21 views)
Old 04-28-2014, 04:42 PM

Delete

Sierra-2 LCR
HTM-200 rears
Rythmik E15HP
Anthem MRX-300
Samsung 8550 UHD
Old 04-28-2014, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post

Did you install PBK and ARC from the the CD or did you download from
Anthem? If you downloaded from the internet the files will not contain
the specific Microphone calibration file. it is only on the install discs.

I have this saved on my desktop...maybe it will help
Windows7ARCSetup.pdf 1370k .pdf file

My company did the same thing to me... XP Pro to Win 7 Pro.
No disc drive on the new computer...I Have not needed to re-do ARC
and frankly am chicken to try.wink.gif

I actually had to request a disk drive, which arrived today. I used my install disc for both ARC and PBK to be sure I had my microphone calibration files. I also found that pdf file you referred to above and that didn't help because the microphone driver does not install. It''s like the microphone isn't even there. The ironic thing is my Anthem is being replaced this week by an McIntosh MX121 (and an MC205 amplifier) so this is really just an experiment. I know that my room has less echo-slap, etc with the acoustic paneling up, and ARC my now by "over-treating" the high end.

My current SACD list
Old 05-07-2014, 05:15 PM

Liked: 11
Display Timeout Glitch?

I have been having a small but annoying problem with the front display on my MRX-300. When watching movies in the dark, I have the front display turned off, with a timeout set to 1 second when I want to adjust the volume discretely and know that it has registered:

Display Brightness: Off
Front Panel Wakeup: Up 1
Display Timeout: 1 second

BUT, each time I adjust the volume (with either the remote or knob), the display initially obeys the 1 second wakeup/timeout setting, and then a couple of seconds later, increases the display brightness again (for 1 second) and then finally returns to the display off setting. So, it appears to respond twice to every volume command, but the volume adjustment is only actually registered by the unit once, so it's not receiving the command twice or anything. It seems to be a firmware glitch and one that bugs me as I love to be able to minimize the screen wakeup time to 1 second while in a dark room, but do not want to get a second wakeup a few seconds after the first one every time.

I have tried to reset the unit, even reinstalled the firmware. It seems that with a fresh installation, it works properly for a few minutes of use, but then it reverts back to the glitchy "double display wakeup" routine.

Any help would be appreciated. I have read through most of this thread and have learned an enormous amount about this incredible receiver. Thank you!
Old 05-09-2014, 12:40 PM

I recently added an external AMP and wondering if I should re-run ARC. Any suggestions?
Old 05-09-2014, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbr100 View Post

I recently added an external AMP and wondering if I should re-run ARC. Any suggestions?

You probably should...your speaker levels have more than
Likely changed.
scirica likes this.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:26 PM

Liked: 19
Hi people:

I've a question that I almost know the answer to. I'm purchasing an Oppo player to replace my just dead Anthem BLX 200 (keeps spitting out Blu-ray Discs). The sound output of the Oppo is bound to be different to that of the Anthem. Will I need to run ARC again on my MRX 500? I'm pretty sure that the answer is yes but, on the other hand, in terms of its output, the room corrected MRX responds to the room and not the blu ray player - right?
Old 05-11-2014, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggar View Post

Hi people:

I've a question that I almost know the answer to. I'm purchasing an Oppo player to replace my just dead Anthem BLX 200 (keeps spitting out Blu-ray Discs). The sound output of the Oppo is bound to be different to that of the Anthem. Will I need to run ARC again on my MRX 500? I'm pretty sure that the answer is yes but, on the other hand, in terms of its output, the room corrected MRX responds to the room and not the blu ray player - right?
Sounds like you contradicted yourself there. Answer is, running ARC is done from the receiver to the speakers, independent of source. No need to run ARC if all you are doing is changing sources.

My current SACD list
Old 05-12-2014, 05:07 AM

Liked: 19
Thanks. Although I think that the ARC process is pretty neat, I'd rather just watch films.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:18 PM

How do I turn my sub volume up with ARC? After I run ARC I can't just turn it up on the AVR without it messing up all the calculations?

Sierra-2 LCR
HTM-200 rears
Rythmik E15HP
Anthem MRX-300
Samsung 8550 UHD
Old 05-12-2014, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABrah View Post

How do I turn my sub volume up with ARC? After I run ARC I can't just turn it up on the AVR without it messing up all the calculations?
Sure it won't mess up ARC.

To setup individual sub levels for music and movies
1) Hit Setup on the remote to get into the main menu.
2) From the main menu highlight Speaker configuration and press SEL on the remote.
3) From Speaker Configuration highlight Level Calibration and press SEL on the remote.
4) If you scroll down far enough you'll see Movie Subwoofer and Music Subwoofer (music subwoofer might be on the next page so keep scrolling to get to it).

Now for movies you can set the sub to whatever level you like and for music you can do the same and have separate levels for movies and music.

To assign the movie and music profiles to different devices
1) Go back to the main menu and highlight Audio/Video Setup and Presets and press SEL on the remote
2) From Audio/Video Setup and Presets highlight Main Source Setup and press SEL on the remote
3) Now highlight "Source" and select your movie source device
4) Now change the Bass Manager to "Movie"
5) Repeat steps 3 & 4 but select your music source device and change the bass manager to "Music" for your music source device.

If you just want to increase or decrease the sub on the fly:
1)Keep pressing "AUDIO" on the remote until you get to "SUBWOOFER". then use the CH Up/Down button to increase or decrease the sub level.
JustABrah likes this.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:49 PM

Thanks Legairre

If I want to change it from 60hz cross over to 80hz do I have to rerun ARC?

Sierra-2 LCR
HTM-200 rears
Rythmik E15HP
Anthem MRX-300
Samsung 8550 UHD

Tags
Anthem Mrx500 , Anthem Mrx300 , Anthem Mrx700 , Receivers Amplifiers , Component Amplifiers , 3d Hdtv , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread - Mrx500 by PriceGrabber.com