Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 55 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1621 of 16589 Old 01-19-2011, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger! View Post

I will mention however that the I noticed today as I was running ARC that the pop occures each time that the test sweep runs.

Unrelated and normal. It's just the sweep tone turning on or off i.e. the sine wave changing direction, racing to zero as a vertical line. It's not a burst nor a spike. Sounds that "don't belong" are easiest to hear when riding on a pure tone (sine wave) as opposed to a complex music signal. The sharper the transition, the greater the amount of high frequency in it. Think of it as a musical instrument with the sharpest attack possible.

Returning to the original topic, a DSP needs a certain amount of data before it knows what decoding mode to switch to. If, for example, DTS comes in while the decoder is in PCM mode, the result is a garbage noise for the duration. Anyone who played an old DTS-CD in normal CD mode can probably relate. Output has to be muted until the DSP recognizes what's coming in, but the muting can't be so long that the beginning of what's being played gets cut off.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 16589 Old 01-20-2011, 02:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by rklpoon View Post

Thank you for your input.

The speakers are located along a "back" wall with distance of about 17 inches while the left front is colse to a corner. Do you imply there is no need to set the High-Pass Filter selector from 80hz to 100hz and re-run ARC? I am asking this because I am a bit out of time to do this and couple of friends are coming to listen to my Anthem 700 this Saturday afternoon.

Hi,

you subwoofer appears to be functioning properly so you don't have to change it. If I were you, I would run the Quick Measure with the ARC microphone etc. all setup and then see if I could move the speakers, and the subwoofer, forward. If that was not an option, or the Quick Measure wasn't showing any changes to that peak at 52Hz, I would then look at moving the listening position back or forward a bit (e.g. change the microphone position for Quick Measure). Try it for all three (e.g. L, R and subwoofer). You have to re-upload ARC afterwards --- if you have moved the speakers/listening position you will have to start ARC over again.

ARC is working fine. It could be improved by eliminating that peak.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Tony
post #1623 of 16589 Old 01-20-2011, 05:12 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanknuck View Post

To the best of my knowledge Pandora is not even associated with the MRX. The internet radio feature for the MRX is Vtuner. I'ts pretty good actually. It's only as good as the stream you're listening to. What's cool is you can add your favourites on a computer, then when you turn on the MRX, the favourite section is already updated.
-Peter

Thanks for clarifying.. I ordered a 300 but am considering changing to the 500, just wanted to make sure the internet radio would be worthwhile
post #1624 of 16589 Old 01-20-2011, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem View Post

Unrelated and normal. It's just the sweep tone turning on or off i.e. the sine wave changing direction, racing to zero as a vertical line. It's not a burst nor a spike. Sounds that "don't belong" are easiest to hear when riding on a pure tone (sine wave) as opposed to a complex music signal. The sharper the transition, the greater the amount of high frequency in it. Think of it as a musical instrument with the sharpest attack possible.

Updated: I have not noticed the pop's I thought I had heard, may just have been playing to late. Thanks for the great response Nick.

On another note, I recorded and sent to Nick the pop I get during transitions and he has sent that on to help with the investigation. Here is hoping the pop will be fixed soon!

Thanks Nick

Please, before you ask a question about...
General Information on the MRX Series:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Technical Information including using ARC:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1625 of 16589 Old 01-20-2011, 10:22 AM

Liked: 11
So I'm awaiting word from my dealer in NH to let me know that I can pick up my new MRX 500. I was excited that the amp came back yesterday for my sub. But it turned out that the amp has a new issue and is shipping back to Brea, CA for another go at it. (minimum 3 weeks till I see the amp back) I went through the QUICK SET-UP on the receiver to just remove the sub from the configuration, and now my listening modes seem messed up again (FM Tuner plays through Cinema).

I spent most of yesterday afternoon running the ARC twice, because I kept getting error messages that an Anthem Processor couldn't be found, at the upload stage. And...Updating the ARC to V3.01 after the first run. I'm not even going to spend the time to reconfigure the unit that's going back to Anthem. My idea to update my system overall has become quite tiresome...
post #1626 of 16589 Old 01-20-2011, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

@Nick, I understand that transitions, especially sharp ones can feel out of place and as a result perhaps draw attention. However I would argue that this not the case here and I would not dismiss it so quickly.

If so inclined, plug the pre-outs into a sound card, record the sweep, view the result and/or e-mail the wav file to tech support.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #1627 of 16589 Old 01-20-2011, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If so inclined, plug the pre-outs into a sound card, record the sweep, view the result and/or e-mail the wav file to tech support.

Thanks Nick and as everyone else has stated, thanks for monitoring this thread (I know it is still crucial that I email support for it to get full attention and I will do that shortly).

I will try plugging the pre-outs into my laptop and running ARC tonight. I think I can do a stereo Line line out/in cable to my laptop and record one left and one right channel as it transitions from one to the next.

This should be an interesting experiment.

post #1628 of 16589 Old 01-20-2011, 01:34 PM

I've had the MRX-500 for a while now and I love it. Only thing I wish to have is to be able to read the directory an attached USB drive or the Internet stations on the front of the receiver. This way I don't have to turn on my plasma display just to listen to music. Perhaps this is something that can be added in a MM firmware update.

cheers
post #1629 of 16589 Old 01-20-2011, 05:04 PM

First time arc setup and not that great with computers.
When i get to select microphone serial #,i select ,then ok.
Then i get
Failed to pre-open calibration file (code-0x01).
Any help would be appriciated.
post #1630 of 16589 Old 01-20-2011, 05:41 PM

My surrounds are close to me at rear of my room (5-6 ft) and the constant clicking and popping when watching satellite is extremely annoying. This needs to be addressed. The clicking/popping is NOT a low level event as Nick describes. I have reported this to Anthem. This event primarily happens when channel surfing satellite, and the sound codecs are constantly changing.
post #1631 of 16589 Old 01-20-2011, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This should be an interesting experiment.

Thanks for willing to carry it out. Just need to know whether the unit behaves differently from the rest to figure out what to do next.

Normally the dealer would use judgment or compare one way or another but as everyone is aware AVSers are a different bunch and it makes no difference to Piero, Andrew, and myself who sends data as long as the right problem gets fixed.

post #1632 of 16589 Old 01-20-2011, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexicon RX7 View Post

First time arc setup and not that great with computers.
When i get to select microphone serial #,i select ,then ok.
Then i get
Failed to pre-open calibration file (code-0x01).
Any help would be appriciated.

Odd for first time use because the only time ARC asks which mic number to use is when more than one is installed. If you haven't installed ARC using the CD that came with the kit, this needs to be done.

If that's been done then I recommend calling tech support in case live step by step help is needed to uninstall and re-install ARC. The crucial thing is getting the right mic file in the right Program Files directory. In rare cases anti-virus programs are overly paranoid and get in the way.

post #1633 of 16589 Old 01-21-2011, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for willing to carry it out. Just need to know whether the unit behaves differently from the rest to figure out what to do next.

No problem. I got home to late last night to play around without possibly upsetting the surrounding condos, but I plan to play around this weekend, so you should have something waiting for your team on Monday when they arrive.

post #1634 of 16589 Old 01-21-2011, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Odd for first time use because the only time ARC asks which mic number to use is when more than one is installed...

This is interesting, I assumed that if there was only one mic calibration file in the installed program folder that it should be automatically selected. However this has not been the case for my installation. When I installed ARC I used the latest version downloaded from Anthems site and before installing it I copied the calibration file from the shipped CD to the installation folder of the download so it would place the calibration file in the correct install directory during installation. The install went well and the calibration file was automatically copied to C:\\Program Files\\Anthem\\AnthemRoomCorrection.

However every time I run the AnthemRoomCorrection software, it requests for me to select the correct Mic Calibration file (for which it only lists the one). Once selected all works as expected. I just assumed that the software wasn’t designed to default the mic calibration selection, even if only a single calibration file exists. It sure would be nice if it did. Alternatively is there a registry entry I can add to default it or perhaps a command line flag I can add to the shortcut for executing the AnthemRoomCorrection software that will set the default mic?

I’m using Version 3.0.1. This is the only version I’ve ever installed.

post #1635 of 16589 Old 01-21-2011, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I got my MX700 on order. It's replacing a Cambridge Audio Azur 650r. BTW, I have that same clicking sound on the Cambridge. It's better since I got the firmware upgraded but not completely gone.
post #1636 of 16589 Old 01-21-2011, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 499
I did the ARC install from the download only (no CD), copied the cal file over to the directory, and mine asks every time to select the serial # too (and there is only one cal file available...)
post #1637 of 16589 Old 01-21-2011, 08:46 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

This is interesting, I assumed that if there was only one mic calibration file in the installed program folder that it should be automatically selected. However this has not been the case for my installation. When I installed ARC I used the latest version downloaded from Anthems site and before installing it I copied the calibration file from the shipped CD to the installation folder of the download so it would place the calibration file in the correct install directory during installation. The install went well and the calibration file was automatically copied to C:\\Program Files\\Anthem\\AnthemRoomCorrection.

However every time I run the AnthemRoomCorrection software, it requests for me to select the correct Mic Calibration file (for which it only lists the one). Once selected all works as expected. I just assumed that the software wasn't designed to default the mic calibration selection, even if only a single calibration file exists. It sure would be nice if it did. Alternatively is there a registry entry I can add to default it or perhaps ac command flag I can add to the shortcut for executing the AnthemRoomCorrection software that will set the default mic?

I'm using Version 3.0.1. This is the only version I've ever installed.

+1
I never installed the CD version, just the update. I was a little confused about the mic file, just couldn't seem to locate it. I just installed the update, ran ARC and never recieved a error message. Everything seemed to run ok, except that ARC realized I have a crappy spot for my center. ...did what it was supposed to...
-Peter

"I'd start a revolution, if I could just get out of bed." -fetters
post #1638 of 16589 Old 01-21-2011, 08:51 AM

Liked: 12
The reason I did what I did...In the release notes for the update, said to replace the old file with the new one. So I figured if the old was never installed...do nothing, so I did. In the back of head I was thinking I would see a error message, but I didn't. Everything ran fine.
-Peter

"I'd start a revolution, if I could just get out of bed." -fetters
post #1639 of 16589 Old 01-21-2011, 11:12 AM

I decided to run the ARC again this morning. I removed the sub from my speaker configuration (since the amp is going back to Velodyne), and ran the Movie and Music profiles separately this time. For the Music profile I only ran the ARC for my 2 main speakers. I have to say that the MRX 500 sounds amazing in Stereo mode. I've never really listened to my mains without the sub being part of the playback mode configuration. Paired with this receiver...everything is just beautiful, with all of the low end being directed through my bi-wired Klipsch klf20's.
I did a quick sampling of the dvd that exposed the issue with my sub. Through Dolby 3/2...with just the 5 speakers...everything sounded amazing. I never knew the two towers were even capable of producing those lower frequencies that used to be directed to the sub. I'm really loving the performance of this receiver!
post #1640 of 16589 Old 01-21-2011, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

I did the ARC install from the download only (no CD), copied the cal file over to the directory, and mine asks every time to select the serial # too (and there is only one cal file available...)

My mistake, this is normal and began when MRX was added to ARC.

post #1641 of 16589 Old 01-21-2011, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanknuck View Post

+1
I never installed the CD version, just the update. I was a little confused about the mic file, just couldn't seem to locate it. I just installed the update, ran ARC and never recieved a error message. Everything seemed to run ok, except that ARC realized I have a crappy spot for my center. ...did what it was supposed to...
-Peter

@yanknuck

I'm afraid I don't quite follow this? The download instructions tell you to copy the calibration file to the install directory of your download before running the install, if you have never installed ARC before. If you did this, you should be all set. Or if you originally installed from the shipped CD and simply installed the new update over top of your old install you should be all set.

I'm surprised that the AnthemRoomCorrection Software would even run without a calibration file, but you certainly want to make sure that you have one. Without the calibration file ARC will not be able to take into account the microphones own characteristics that maybe impacting how it corrects and compensates for your room.

I would make sure you copy the calibration file off of the original CD that shipped with your unit and place it in the program directory for the AnthemRoomCorrection Software.

The calibration file looks has the form of:

123456Anthem.cal

where 123456 is the serial number of your microphone (and should be on a label on the mic for all the MRX's and for that matter any recently purchased Anthem equipment as I understand it).

On my XP machine the directory where the ARC install put the calibration file as well as the other program files is:

C:\\Program Files\\Anthem\\AnthemRoomCorrection

Of course you may have a slightly different install path. With my installation that directory contains a folder and 3 files:

Manuals
123456Anthem.cal
AnthemRoomCorrection.exe
AnthemRoomCorrection.exe.manifest

If you have been running the AnthemRoomCorrection without the mic calibration file, you should probably rerun your calibrations with the correct microphone calibration file in place so you can compensate for the acoustic characteristics of the mic.

NOTE: If you want to copy the mic calibration file manually to the program directory, simply look at the root of the install CD that shipped with your MRX and you will find the mic calibration file there. You can then just copy it to the program directory where the main application file resides and you should be all set.

Once the calibration file is in place, the AnthemRoomCorrection Software should ask you to select the calibration file to use the next time your start the calibration process.

Nick @ Anthem has confirmed that it is normal that the software ask for the calibration file (even if you only have one calibration file), so if you have never been asked this question and you are running v3.0.1, than you probably do not have your calibration file correctly installed!

post #1642 of 16589 Old 01-21-2011, 02:17 PM

Im setting up my MRX700 and is there a way for it to be able to play my music collection that I have set up on my home server? I know it plays music through an attached USB hardrive, but obviously if it can connect into my network that would be a much better solution.
post #1643 of 16589 Old 01-21-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwtye View Post

Im setting up my MRX700 and is there a way for it to be able to play my music collection that I have set up on my home server? I know it plays music through an attached USB hardrive, but obviously if it can connect into my network that would be a much better solution.

No, the MRX receivers do not have the ability to stream media via DLNA or CIFS. You would need an external box to do this. Many new Blu-ray players and even TVs have this feature.
post #1644 of 16589 Old 01-21-2011, 04:01 PM

I know I could make it happen through my ps3, so its just a matter if I want to do it through that, or just attach a small portable HD usb to the anthem
post #1645 of 16589 Old 01-21-2011, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

So had a little time to play this evening, attempting to capture sound files on my laptop. Don't think I yet have everything figured out... but here is an interesting picture of the pop I hear.

To produce this, I simply hit pause on my Cable DVR and wait a few seconds... the MRX display shows that there is no audio. I then hit record on the sound recordering software on my laptop, followed by play on the DVR... the pop is the spike that follows.

Note the second picture captures audio from music after coming off of pause. The amplitude of the Spike is about equal to the listening amplitude of the music.
LL
LL

post #1646 of 16589 Old 01-22-2011, 04:18 AM

Fist chance i've had to see respones, your explanation is very much appreciated.
Was able to follow step by step to see what i was doing wrong.Looked like i follow steps corectly.Down loaded from Anthem site, loaded CD and just copied cal file.
Ran arc then would get message failed to open pre file.
Decided to remove all and start over. Did not load from web site ,just used CD.
It worked ,when it was uploading,twice it stopped and said it could not find processor,got it to finish. Save my file in my documents,now when i try to open it,
error invalid format.Did i file in wrong place?Since i don't have current ver of arc is whats the best way to go about this.Thanks for all your help.
post #1647 of 16589 Old 01-22-2011, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Fist chance i've had to see respones, your explanation is very much appreciated.
Was able to follow step by step to see what i was doing wrong.Looked like i follow steps corectly.Down loaded from Anthem site, loaded CD and just copied cal file.
Ran arc then would get message failed to open pre file.
Decided to remove all and start over. Did not load from web site ,just used CD.
It worked ,when it was uploading,twice it stopped and said it could not find processor,got it to finish. Save my file in my documents,now when i try to open it,
error invalid format.Did i file in wrong place?Since i don't have current ver of arc is whats the best way to go about this.Thanks for all your help.

the error you are getting now is from the install off the CD. You need to download the ARC version and install on top.
post #1648 of 16589 Old 01-22-2011, 06:42 AM

Thanks , so just go to the web site and download arc,s latest ver over what i have.
Then i should be able to open it ?
post #1649 of 16589 Old 01-22-2011, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Thanks , so just go to the web site and download arc,s latest ver over what i have.
Then i should be able to open it ?
Yes. The install from the cd version probably had a registry error in the file association so it doesn't open the file you saved. It's easiest to just get the version form the Anthem site and install over top.
post #1650 of 16589 Old 01-22-2011, 07:08 AM

After reading a post somewhere in here...I decided to try plugging my 500GB external drive into the USB on the rear of the receiver. The receiver is shuffling through 160GB's of music I thought I'd have to load onto my mp3 player to listen to. It just keeps getting better...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx500 , Anthem Mrx300 , Anthem Mrx700 , Receivers Amplifiers , Component Amplifiers , 3d Hdtv , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread - Mrx500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page