Originally Posted by Crescent
i installed arc 3.02 from the web. Uninstalled it. Installed it from the CD and then updated from the web. At first, device manager did not see the device. I pointed it to the folder where I extracted ARC and it worked for a while. Then in the middle of running sweeps, it gave the error. I could not get it recognized no matter what I did even though I pointed the driver install to the same folder.
Any help on how to fix it?
When I had an MRX300, I found that the microphone connection could be really touchy, make sure you are using the cable that came with the kit - I also found that the micro-USB connector was NOT the same as some other devices. I could NOT us the much longer cable that came with my Paradigm PBK kit microphone (it just did not work at all) even though it initially looked identical - close inspection showed a different profile to the internal plastic moldings.
Try disconnecting and re-connecting the microphone at both ends of the cable -once you get it working.................don't touch the mic connection until you complete the ARC run (tape it to the boom arm to stop it moving about as you move the mic from one position to another).
If you suspect a 'bad device' install, then :-
Restart the laptop, connect the mic, go to Control Panel - Device Manager, tell Windows to uninstall the driver associated with the ARC-1 mic, power-down the laptop, disconnect the mic, restart the laptop, allow it to fully start and become idle, now reconnect the mic, Windows should reinstall the driver - now start ARC.