Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 560 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #16771 of 16778 Old 02-17-2015, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
Actually, Dolby Volume has two components.

Dolby Volume Modeler is loudness compensation tied to cinema reference, like DynamicEQ.

Dolby Volume Leveler is a compressor, like DynanmicVolume.

IMO, Modeler is excellent and I almost always keep it on
Thanks DS-21. I was aware of the Dynamic EQ like part of Dolby volume, but I wasn't aware that it was implemented in the MRX receivers so I didn't mention it in my post.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16772 of 16778 Old 02-18-2015, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
Thanks DS-21. I was aware of the Dynamic EQ like part of Dolby volume, but I wasn't aware that it was implemented in the MRX receivers so I didn't mention it in my post.
I agree the manual could spell it out better. But on p. 17 it tells you how to use the loudness compensation part of Dolby Volume without messing with the compressor:

“When Dolby Level [sic] is Off the frequency response adjustment still applies unless Dolby Volume is also Off.”

IMO, the MRX sounds best at all volume levels with Dolby Volume on, and the Leveler Amount zeroed out.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #16773 of 16778 Old 02-18-2015, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
I agree the manual could spell it out better. But on p. 17 it tells you how to use the loudness compensation part of Dolby Volume without messing with the compressor:

“When Dolby Level [sic] is Off the frequency response adjustment still applies unless Dolby Volume is also Off.”

IMO, the MRX sounds best at all volume levels with Dolby Volume on, and the Leveler Amount zeroed out.
Thanks for the explanation. I'll have to try it with Dolby Volume On and the Leveler Amount Zeroed out.

Legairre

Last edited by Legairre; 02-18-2015 at 09:59 AM.
post #16774 of 16778 Old 02-22-2015, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What do you mean by zeroing out volume leveler? It goes from "Off" to "Low" to '1'.

Last edited by jonalan0323; 02-22-2015 at 09:18 AM.
post #16775 of 16778 Old 02-22-2015, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonalan0323 View Post
What do you mean by zeroing out volume leveler? It goes from "Off" to "Low" to '1'.
"Off."

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #16776 of 16778 Old Yesterday, 05:10 AM
Juz

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi,
For more than a year I have been struggling to get better Bass response in my room. I have an Anthem MRX700, a Paradigm DSP3100 (for upper HZ) and a Paradigm DSP3400 (for lower HZ). I have been pushing these Subwoofers around the room I am surprised that their feet have not worn away. They are placed at the rear wall where I believe they work best.
ARC starts to cut off on the Subwoofer at 50hz. In all my measurements it does the same thing. I have attached my ARC results. Just reading now in an earlier post of advice by Legairre to squid48072. Hmm. So I ran ARC last night in Manual Mode. I have always used Auto as I did not know what Manual did, it was for experts and installers. Results are attachments P1 & P2.
Then temptation got me and I went to the Advanced section and changed the Subwoofer High Pass Order to Flat. I then recalculated. See attachment 4. I have not uploaded this result, as I am not game. The Flat setting, I have always been under the impression that this is for big high performance Subs. As I did not know about it, or even think my Subs qualify, I have never tried it.
What do you think?
Regards, Juz

My Speaker Results
Front Left = -3
Center = -1
Front Right = -3
Surround Right = +1
Surround Left = 0
Rear Right = +3
Rear Left +1
Subwoofer = 0
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Anthem arc MRX700.png
Views:	19
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	571586   Click image for larger version

Name:	anthem arc p1.png
Views:	25
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	571594   Click image for larger version

Name:	anthem arc p2.png
Views:	22
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	571602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Anthem arc subwoofer flat.png
Views:	22
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	571610  
post #16777 of 16778 Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juz View Post
Hi,
For more than a year I have been struggling to get better Bass response in my room. I have an Anthem MRX700, a Paradigm DSP3100 (for upper HZ) and a Paradigm DSP3400 (for lower HZ). I have been pushing these Subwoofers around the room I am surprised that their feet have not worn away. They are placed at the rear wall where I believe they work best.
ARC starts to cut off on the Subwoofer at 50hz. In all my measurements it does the same thing. I have attached my ARC results. Just reading now in an earlier post of advice by Legairre to squid48072. Hmm. So I ran ARC last night in Manual Mode. I have always used Auto as I did not know what Manual did, it was for experts and installers. Results are attachments P1 & P2.
Then temptation got me and I went to the Advanced section and changed the Subwoofer High Pass Order to Flat. I then recalculated. See attachment 4. I have not uploaded this result, as I am not game. The Flat setting, I have always been under the impression that this is for big high performance Subs. As I did not know about it, or even think my Subs qualify, I have never tried it.
What do you think?
Regards, Juz

My Speaker Results
Front Left = -3
Center = -1
Front Right = -3
Surround Right = +1
Surround Left = 0
Rear Right = +3
Rear Left +1
Subwoofer = 0
Your low Hz sub (Paradigm DSP3400) is very much capable of playing down to 19Hz (according to the specs) which is nice and low.

In one of your graphs (I'm assuming the one with ARC set to FLAT) it's rolling off at 30Hz instead of 50Hz without FLAT. It should still roll off lower. Is the "subwoofer cut off frequency " on the back of the sub sub turned up to "bypass". If not it's probably set to 35Hz(the lowest setting) which would account for the 30Hz roll off with FAT.

If so switch it to bypass and you should roll off around 19 or 20Hz.

post #16778 of 16778 Old Today, 07:29 AM
Juz

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks Legairre for your much appreciated advice. I will check out the subwoofers and try another measurement or two.
regards, Juz
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx500 , Anthem Mrx300 , Anthem Mrx700 , Receivers Amplifiers , Component Amplifiers , 3d Hdtv , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread - Mrx500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page