AVS Forum banner
2M views 17K replies 823 participants last post by  Inniswhe 
#1 ·

Link to Anthem MRX Page

MRX Series .pdf Literature Download
  • Anthem Quality!
  • Anthem Performance!
  • Exclusive Anthem Technology like the award-winning Anthem Room Correction included.
  • Price! Extraordinary for everything you get!
  • Power to spare! Every model offers 7 channels of power more continuous power than anything in their price range: MRX 700: 120 watts per channel, MRX 500: 100 watts per channel, MRX 300: 80 watts per channel

3D ready receivers with optional iPod dock
Anthem just announced their brand new line of 3D ready A/V receivers. The MRX series features four receivers: the MRX 300, MRX 500, MRX 700, and MRX 900, all featuring 7 channels of amplification (MRX 900 will have 9 channels of amplification) and 4 HDMI in/1 out (MRX 900 will have 7 HDMI in/1 out). Bringing the company's award winning technology to its newest line, Anthem's MRX receivers are all equipped with the critically acclaimed Anthem Room Correction (ARC) system.

A highly anticipated release, the Anthem MRX receivers include all the latest audio formats inc luding Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Pro Logic IIz, and DTS-HD Master Audio and support internet radio (except MRX 300) and HD Radio (MRX 700 and MRX 900). In addition, the MRX series will process 3D movies and television when paired with a 3DTV and a 3D capable source component making them the perfect addition for 3D enabled home theaters. The MRX receivers boast amplifier sections embodying Anthem's design focus on low noise, low distortion and "real" power. Standard on all Anthem products, the receivers come with the company's hallmark of user-friendly menus and easy operation.

HIGHLIGHTS
  • Anthem Room Correction (ARC)
  • A very beefy amp - more real' power than the competition!
  • Dual-processor audio DSP
  • Video Conversion from Composite Video and Component Video to HDMI
  • Scaling up to 1080p60
  • 1080p24 mode
  • Dolby Volume
  • AM/FM Tuner
  • 3D Support via software upgrade

DECODING
  • Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Digital Plus
  • Dolby Digital EX
  • DTS-HD Master Audio
  • DTS-ES (Matrix, Discrete)
  • DTS 96/24

LISTENING MODES
  • AnthemLogic-Music
  • AnthemLogic-Cinema
  • Dolby Pro Logic IIx (Movie, Music, Game)
  • Dolby Pro Logic IIz
  • DTS Neo:6 (Music, Cinema)
  • Dolby Virtual Speaker (Wide, Reference)
  • All Channel Stereo
  • Dolby Digital EX

INPUTS
  • 4 HDMI Inputs
  • Analog Video Inputs: 4 Composite + 3 Component
  • Digital Audio Inputs: 2 Coaxial + 3 Optical
  • 7 Stereo Analog RCA Inputs
  • 2 USB Inputs (MRX 700/500)
  • HDMI On-Screen Display - setup, video adjustments, status, song navigation

CUSTOM INSTALLATION
  • IR Input
  • IR Emitter Output
  • Trigger Output
  • Second Zone
  • RS-232 Control

ADDITIONAL FEATURES
  • Video Configuration Memorized by Source
  • Dolby Headphone
  • Backlit Remote Control
  • Sidemount Rack Kit (sold separately)
  • Separate Zone 2 remote (non-backlit)

WARRANTY
  • 3 years
  • 1 year on Remote Control

Dimensions
  • MRX 300/500/700 : 6.5" H x 17.25" W x 15.25" D (16.4 cm x 43.9 cm x 39.0 cm)

ModelFMV(US)FMV(CAN)AvailabilityChannelsPower 2 chPower 5 chTransformerHDMI in/outUSB front/backEthernetInternet RadioHD RadioRDSVideo ProcessorMade inWeight
MRX 300$999$1099Early 20117.180W60WE-I4/10/0nonononoGenesis TorinoChina33.4 lb (15.2 kg)
MRX 500$1499$1649Now7.1100W75WE-I4/11/1yesyesnonoGenesis TorinoChina34.3 lb (15.6 kg)
MRX 700$1999$2199Now7.1120W90WToroidal4/11/1yesyesyesyesGenesis TorinoChina35.4 lb (16.1 kg)

ARC Details

WHAT IS ANTHEM ROOM CORRECTION AND WHY IS IT THE BEST ON THE MARKET?

Latest ARC download link

Even when the finest speakers are perfectly positioned, the room itself can have a dramatic negative impact on sound quality. Room dimensions, dead spots, archways, even furniture can turn a room into an additional instrument adding unwanted coloration and resonance to music and movies. ARC adjusts for the room's effect on the speakers in a way that mimics our hearing. Now your Anthem gear and your Paradigm speakers can do what they do best: allow you to lose yourself in the music or movie you're watching. How does ARC do what it does?
  • ARC analyzes each speaker's in-room response then sets output levels, crossover frequencies and room correction parameters for each one.
  • ARC applies correction for up to 7 channels plus the sub!
  • ARC applies Super-Efficient Infinite Impulse Response (IIR) filters in addition to Anthem's custom topology all that means no engine' noise, this baby runs quickly and quietly.
  • Unlike other room correction systems, ARC allows for multiple microphone measurements, that way everyone in the room gets a better listen, not just those sitting directly between the speakers.
  • Processing power to spare!
  • ARCuracy! The connected PC's 64-bit floating point processor calculates the correction curves to the n'th degree of accuracy.
  • Separate configurations for music and movies.
  • Applies correction to peaks and dips in room response - since rooms have both we get a far more natural and accurate response tackling both!
  • Fully automated or manual setup - you choose which procedure you want to use!
USB to Serial Adapter
Keyspan USA-19hs
has proven to be the most reliable and has the most up to date driver list from MAC to Windows 7

Click on help and resources tab on that page for the latest drivers.

These adapters can be easily found inexpensivly through a google search.... Here

See less See more
#11,361 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus  /t/1289533/anthem-mrx-receivers-300-500-700-owners-thread-tweaking-guide/11340#post_22190920

Just got done updating to 50.24

I am fortunate in that I have a Sub 25 PBK'ed to my room, so I wasn't expecting much of a difference if I had the 50.23 glitch of the sub and surrounds not using the calculated ARC corrections.

Well, using the familiar scene of "The Grid" in Tron Legacy I noticed a small difference in bass: it was more controlled and tighter. Again, PBK already had my sub 90% corrected so ARC wasn't handling much correction but just enough that I noticed the new firmware difference.

For the surrounds, however, I haven't noticed a difference yet, though the scene in Tron Legacy I used isn't the best for such a judgement. Will definitely listen to something like Master and Commander or Saving Private Ryan to see what I hear. It should be noted that for the last few weeks I have had a feeling of my surrounds lacking compared to the rest of the system during all four of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. Maybe it was the 50.23 glitch. Hopefully it was and is fixed now.

Can you post your sub chart? I have a sub 25 and would like to see how someone else's Sub 25 performs with PBK and ARC.

John

#11,363 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus  /t/1289533/anthem-mrx-receivers-300-500-700-owners-thread-tweaking-guide/10650#post_22020849

Here's my new graphs for PBK and ARC using just the six measurement spots, with the first measurement being taken at the front row middle seat. This is also the seat I have my speaker distances set to.

Trim levels are:

Front Left +1

Center 0

Front Right +1

Surround Right 0

Surround Left 0

Subwoofer -6

Note: There is nothing I can do about the boundary gain of the front speakers....they are as far out from the side walls and front corners as possible. These areas are also heavily treated with bass traps. But it seems like ARC did a fine job of taming the gain anyways

I put on the Pod Emergence scene from WotW and holy crap!!!! It was like nothing I have ever heard even in my old room with the same speakers/subwoofer. I watched the scene from both the front row middle seat and back row middle seat and it sounded nearly identical.....almost no variance between the two spots. Just awesome!

This should be the final PBK/ARC I settled on

#11,365 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus  /t/1289533/anthem-mrx-receivers-300-500-700-owners-thread-tweaking-guide/11340#post_22191447

This should be the final PBK/ARC I settled on

The sub looks very good. I bet it sounds excellent.

John

#11,366 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus  /t/1289533/anthem-mrx-receivers-300-500-700-owners-thread-tweaking-guide/11340#post_22190920

Just got done updating to 50.24

I am fortunate in that I have a Sub 25 PBK'ed to my room, so I wasn't expecting much of a difference if I had the 50.23 glitch of the sub and surrounds not using the calculated ARC corrections.

Well, using the familiar scene of "The Grid" in Tron Legacy I noticed a small difference in bass: it was more controlled and tighter. Again, PBK already had my sub 90% corrected so ARC wasn't handling much correction but just enough that I noticed the new firmware difference.

For the surrounds, however, I haven't noticed a difference yet, though the scene in Tron Legacy I used isn't the best for such a judgement. Will definitely listen to something like Master and Commander or Saving Private Ryan to see what I hear. It should be noted that for the last few weeks I have had a feeling of my surrounds lacking compared to the rest of the system during all four of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. Maybe it was the 50.23 glitch. Hopefully it was and is fixed now.

Your experience illustrates why some people didn't notice the glitch - it all depends on the amount of correction needed for the sub and the surrounds. Since your PBK did most of the job, you didn't need ARC for the sub as much as other people.

#11,367 ·
It's also about not knowing what you are missing.

I started on 50.23, so I was only getting correction on the mains. On the advice of others here, I was able to reposition my subwoofer. Then I got the beta firmware, so my sub is now being corrected.

On each step, there was a noticeable improvement. However after each step, I thought I was already at the best I was going to get.

#11,368 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Isble  /t/1289533/anthem-mrx-receivers-300-500-700-owners-thread-tweaking-guide/11340#post_22191976

It's also about not knowing what you are missing.

I started on 50.23, so I was only getting correction on the mains. On the advice of others here, I was able to reposition my subwoofer. Then I got the beta firmware, so my sub is now being corrected.

On each step, there was a noticeable improvement. However after each step, I thought I was already at the best I was going to get.

This happened to me at each upgrade through the years. Look at all the the people on the threads with entry level equipment who claim their system sounds amazing. You can't blame them since they haven't, in most cases, heard something better.

John

Reactions: George Fire Eagl
#11,369 ·
I was using Anthem receiver with only blu-ray player. Recently, I added Dish Joey device. Basically, this connects to Dish hopper to show DVR and TV programming. When I switch inputs, some times Anthem is getting freeze when I choose dish input. I have to pull out power connection for Anthem to respond again.

It could be problem with Dish Joey as well, since it says it is trying to connect hopper. I am going to contact Dish to find why it is loosing connection to Hopper. Still, Anthem should not be freezing.

Does anybody aware of this problem? It is inconvenient to go back of rack and disconnect power and connect it again. Is there any other way to reboot the device?

#11,370 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukumar  /t/1289533/anthem-mrx-receivers-300-500-700-owners-thread-tweaking-guide/11370#post_22193125

I was using Anthem receiver with only blu-ray player. Recently, I added Dish Joey device. Basically, this connects to Dish hopper to show DVR and TV programming. When I switch inputs, some times Anthem is getting freeze when I choose dish input. I have to pull out power connection for Anthem to respond again.

It could be problem with Dish Joey as well, since it says it is trying to connect hopper. I am going to contact Dish to find why it is loosing connection to Hopper. Still, Anthem should not be freezing.

Does anybody aware of this problem? It is inconvenient to go back of rack and disconnect power and connect it again. Is there any other way to reboot the device?

Maybe a cable issue?

#11,371 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheelwright  /t/1289533/anthem-mrx-receivers-300-500-700-owners-thread-tweaking-guide/11370#post_22193171

Maybe a cable issue?

Dish guy installed Hopper (server to share dvr) and Joey( client to output through hdmi). The signal/data comes from Hopper to Joey through coax cable. Not sure why Joey says "Trying to connect". I see channels/dvr some times, but not other times.

I guess it could be some problem that Anthem is trying to negotiate hdmi with Joey where Joey is still not able to connect to hopper. Still Anthem is not supposed to freeze. Trying to find if I can reboot without disconnecting power or anybody experienced this problem.

#11,372 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukumar  /t/1289533/anthem-mrx-receivers-300-500-700-owners-thread-tweaking-guide/11370#post_22193257

Dish guy installed Hopper (server to share dvr) and Joey( client to output through hdmi). The signal/data comes from Hopper to Joey through coax cable. Not sure why Joey says "Trying to connect". I see channels/dvr some times, but not other times.

I guess it could be some problem that Anthem is trying to negotiate hdmi with Joey where Joey is still not able to connect to hopper. Still Anthem is not supposed to freeze. Trying to find if I can reboot without disconnecting power or anybody experienced this problem.

I have just heard but not experienced myself that a problem with HDMI can cause a unit to lock up. Sometimes it's just the connection and reseating it will fix it but sometimes it's the cable too.

#11,373 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheelwright  /t/1289533/anthem-mrx-receivers-300-500-700-owners-thread-tweaking-guide/11370#post_22195414

I have just heard but not experienced myself that a problem with HDMI can cause a unit to lock up. Sometimes it's just the connection and reseating it will fix it but sometimes it's the cable too.

Thanks. I will call dishnetwork to first fix the issue with Joey device. It is hard to disconnect and connect power card since it is not reachable easily. There should have been some power button to reboot.

#11,375 ·
Here are my charts. Any feedback on what I could do to tame the big swings from 5khz up? I realize ARC (in the MRX line) doesn't correct above 5k. Parts of the room have some pretty bad slap echo so I'm looking at getting some acoustic treatment to tame that. Has anyone had a similar issue past 5k?

Thank you in advance for checking out my first pass with ARC. I'm very impressed with the resulting sound stage.

My levels info:

FL: +1

center: +2

FR: +2

SR: -2

SL -2

Subwoofer: -4

#11,376 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek51  /t/1289533/anthem-mrx-receivers-300-500-700-owners-thread-tweaking-guide/11370#post_22198333

Here are my charts. Any feedback on what I could do to tame the big swings from 5khz up? I realize ARC (in the MRX line) doesn't correct above 5k. Parts of the room have some pretty bad slap echo so I'm looking at getting some acoustic treatment to tame that. Has anyone had a similar issue past 5k?

Thank you in advance for checking out my first pass with ARC. I'm very impressed with the resulting sound stage.

If you have slap echo in your room, that indicates that it is too 'live'. While there are professional sound treatmants to handle bad rooms, you may be limited by the role of the room in your life. If it is a living room, most treatmants are not decor-friendly. Instead, do what most of us do - use furniture, paintings, pillows, curtains, rugs and bookcases with books and other objects to take the room in a designer-approved way
. Note on materials:

1) Soft materials (chair and sofa upholstry, rugs, pillows) will absorb high frequences (big objects will go lower and affect bass as well). Be careful - it is possible to over-dampen the room and make it sound dull and lifeless

2) Irregular materals reflect sound in many different directions, acting as difractors. Book cases full of books, CDs and other objects work well in that regard. You will get rid of echo without deadening the room too much.

3) Area rug is the easiest way to get rid of the slap echo that is caused by ceiling-floor bounce. Paintings and posters can tame wall to wall bounce. Hanging a tapistry will be even more effective but see my note on overdamping. Also note that the higher the rug pile, the wider the frequency range it will affect. Thick rugs will affect midrange as well as highs, while thin persians will mostly affect the highs

Have fun!

#11,377 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek51  /t/1289533/anthem-mrx-receivers-300-500-700-owners-thread-tweaking-guide/11370#post_22198333

My levels info:

FL: +1

center: +2

FR: +2

SR: -2

SL -2

Subwoofer: -4

Your graphs and levels look great. As for the slap echo, dglozic has some great advice.

#11,378 ·
I did post by mistake in receivers section instead of Anthem thread. Looking for help.

I got TASCAM 144 mk II sound card and calibrated ECM 8000. I am still trying to understand running the EQ wizard software. The connection diagram for Eq wizard says to connect Left or right line output of TASCAM(Sound card) to receiver to test. Sound card only sends output to one channel. It also says I need to put receiver in Stereo mode.

I want to confirm if the following are right to test signal.

1. Assign Aux output to front a/v jacks on Anthem ( I see Red/white/yelow)

2. Go to setup and change 2.0 source to send as strereo. Is it right since there is only one connection either red or white (Left or right speaker)

3. Anthem ARC to be off.

They want to increase volume in the receiver to get to 75 for levelling and start measuring. Software has option to send to main or main+subwoofer. I am assuming that the signal is wide spectrum in the case of main+subwoofer and Anthem will split the signal to send to main speaker and subwoofer. Not sure how it works.

Not sure if Anthem duplicates signal to both left and right main speakers Or I need to buy some y connector.

Appreciate to confirm my understanding on the receiver settings/connectons to perform test for water fall/RTA/Impulse (first reflections)

#11,379 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukumar  /t/1289533/anthem-mrx-receivers-300-500-700-owners-thread-tweaking-guide/11370#post_22203086

I did post by mistake in receivers section instead of Anthem thread. Looking for help.

I got TASCAM 144 mk II sound card and calibrated ECM 8000. I am still trying to understand running the EQ wizard software. The connection diagram for Eq wizard says to connect Left or right line output of TASCAM(Sound card) to receiver to test. Sound card only sends output to one channel. It also says I need to put receiver in Stereo mode.

I want to confirm if the following are right to test signal.

1. Assign Aux output to front a/v jacks on Anthem ( I see Red/white/yelow)

2. Go to setup and change 2.0 source to send as strereo. Is it right since there is only one connection either red or white (Left or right speaker)

3. Anthem ARC to be off.

They want to increase volume in the receiver to get to 75 for levelling and start measuring. Software has option to send to main or main+subwoofer. I am assuming that the signal is wide spectrum in the case of main+subwoofer and Anthem will split the signal to send to main speaker and subwoofer. Not sure how it works.

Not sure if Anthem duplicates signal to both left and right main speakers Or I need to buy some y connector.

Appreciate to confirm my understanding on the receiver settings/connectons to perform test for water fall/RTA/Impulse (first reflections)

1) For testing you would want to connect to one of the two a/v jacks on the front Aux input most likely (ether Red or White, NOT Yellow which is the video). You will not want to use a Y splitter. Pick a channel (usually left which is White) and test just with one channel. If you want to test the other channel you can switch.

2) You will want to set your 2.0 source to stereo, as you suggested. If you are connected to only one input, the MRX will only play out of one channel. Which should be what you want.

3) If you are trying to see what your speaekrs look like with out ARC enabled, turn ARC off on the source. If you want to see what they look like with ARC, leave ARC enabled.

To adjust the sound levels, I believe, you will need a sound meter and will simply turn up the volume until you reach 75db (probably somewhere up near -10 to 0 on your volume knob). You do not need to adjust the levels of the speakers.

If you decide to send a wide spectrum signal, Anthem will direct the lower frequencies to the sub based on where the crossover of the speaker is set on the MRX.

#11,380 ·
Can someone offer some ideas on this? I amexperiencing a video "jitter" or "stutter" every 10 to 15 seconds when watching Directv on my Samsung via my Anthem MRX 500. While a minor annoyance, it's one of those that can start eating away at you as you notice it more and more. I've tried multiple high speed HDMI cables from my Dtv box to the Anthem but no improvement.

Today I took the Anthem out of the look an hooked my Dtv box straight to the Samsung and lo and behold, no more video stutter. While I'm happy I've isolated this, I'm of course really bummed out that the Anthem seems to be struggling with the Dtv signal.

Directv is outputting in Native, and all resolution formats are selected. The Anthem video output is set to "auto" and sends 1080p to the Samsung (UN60D7050)

Help! Ideas of things to tweak?