Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 570 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 518Likes

post #17071 of 17097 Old 05-27-2017, 05:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Maybe this has been answered somewhere but I cant seem to find it.

If I want to use my MRX700 as a stereo only receiver how do I do that? When listening to music it works fine but when starting a movie with DTS or something it still thinks I have more speakers and sound get lost in the non existing channels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17072 of 17097 Old 05-27-2017, 11:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12SHiko View Post
Maybe this has been answered somewhere but I cant seem to find it.

If I want to use my MRX700 as a stereo only receiver how do I do that? When listening to music it works fine but when starting a movie with DTS or something it still thinks I have more speakers and sound get lost in the non existing channels.
Did you previously have a center, etc.? You need to configure it to not have the other speakers. You can do this by setting the other channels to NONE in the speaker setup menu.
post #17073 of 17097 Old 05-29-2017, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD View Post
Did you previously have a center, etc.? You need to configure it to not have the other speakers. You can do this by setting the other channels to NONE in the speaker setup menu.
Yeah I had and I found it now. I have set all speakers to none except the fronts right now. Does the amp do something with the sound then if its a surround mix? Like creating a phantom center or anything?

post #17074 of 17097 Old 05-29-2017, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12SHiko View Post
Yeah I had and I found it now. I have set all speakers to none except the fronts right now. Does the amp do something with the sound then if its a surround mix? Like creating a phantom center or anything?
Yes, you should hear everything out of just the L/R speaker.
post #17075 of 17097 Old 05-31-2017, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 12
MRx310 not recognizing flash drive

I recently purchased an mrx310 and I'm in the process of setting it up. I'm running into a snag, I can't get the MRX 310 to recognize my flash drive. The flash drive is formatted to FAT, but I tried exfat and NTSF. The .fw file is the only thing on the drive and it's in the root directory. I formatted it on a PC but it works fine on my Mac also. It's currently running 1.2.6. Any suggestions?
post #17076 of 17097 Old 05-31-2017, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickwin View Post
I recently purchased an mrx310

It's currently running 1.2.6. Any suggestions?
Suggest you try the 3/5/710 thread instead of the 3/5/700 one.
post #17077 of 17097 Old 06-01-2017, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
Suggest you try the 3/5/710 thread instead of the 3/5/700 one.
whoops, wrong thread, thanks for pointing that out.
post #17078 of 17097 Old 07-29-2017, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Composite no sound but I have visual. Anthem MRX 500

Hello all

This is my first post here. Thank you all in advance.

I just got an anthem MRX500

I am running a laserdisc player via composite to the anthem and then out via cdmi.

Picture is fine but I get no sound???????

I have also tried the optical but still not working.

But f i run the LD player to a panasonic HDRW (for the comb filter) via composite and then to the av and then out via cdmi, it works fine!

Have tried the options in the Anthem menu but still nothing.

Anybody have some pointers?

I am guessing it is me and not the anthem or laserdisc play.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you
post #17079 of 17097 Old 07-29-2017, 10:26 PM

Which inputs are you trying to use?

Specifically, which source, video in, and analog audio in.
post #17080 of 17097 Old 07-30-2017, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD View Post
Really? It needs to be configured to ignore the other speakers in the 5.1 or 7.1 setup ??

This sounds crazy.

All my other receivers you simply change audio to STEREO and it automatically only plays the L & R channels .

I'm sure Anthem wouldn't make it that difficult would they ?
post #17081 of 17097 Old 07-30-2017, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by videopete99 View Post
Really? It needs to be configured to ignore the other speakers in the 5.1 or 7.1 setup ??

This sounds crazy.

All my other receivers you simply change audio to STEREO and it automatically only plays the L & R channels .

I'm sure Anthem wouldn't make it that difficult would they ?
Anthem does things a bit differently. It's not near as difficult as it
Seems. Plus, Anthem Room Correction (ARC) does a very good job.
Of course you need a Windows laptop to run the room correction.
Like I said, they do things differently.

Anthem MRX-300-Outlaw Audio M2200
Rythmik F12 subs
Paradigm Signature S6,C1,S1
Harman Kardon DMC1000 (music)
Assassin HTPC (movies)
post #17082 of 17097 Old 07-30-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
There is an option to set the output format. Audio button as I recall, then you can set the desired output format.

Depending on a config option it will go back the next use or you can set it to remember the last setting.

There are also configuration options for what the default output mode is for a given input format.

Last edited by ST Dog; 08-03-2017 at 04:40 AM.
post #17083 of 17097 Old 08-02-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
There is an option to set the output format. Audio button as I recall, then you can set the desired output format.

Depending on a config option it will go back the next use or you can set use to remember the last setting.

There are also configuration options for what the default output mode is for a given input format.
Yes the AUDIO button will allow you to cycle through the various audio surround modes BUT if your source for movies and music is the same (ie. media player) than for some reason STEREO never shows up as a choice, only the surround modes.

I connected my standalone DVD/CD player to the unit last night and when playing a regular CD, then YES using the AUDIO button, STEREO does indeed show up as an option.

I guess it recognizes the source input and determines what output options are available.

(ie. PCM from the CD player allows STEREO out but my media player outputs 5.1 for both movies and music and therefore the Anthem will not allow you to select regular STEREO output.
post #17084 of 17097 Old 08-02-2017, 01:09 PM

Just wondering if anyone's had experience with the Anthem MRX-500 vs the Pioneer Elite SC-05 ?
I've owned the SC-05 for about 3 years and recently picked up the Anthem MRX-500.
Always wanted to try Anthem and Arcam so I found the MRX-500.
Sounds really nice (especially for movies) but I'm not sure it's night and day from my SC-05 as some reviewers have commented in the past.
Definitely less frills than the elite but just wondering if anyone has a similar comparison they can post or comment about.

Thanks.
post #17085 of 17097 Old 08-02-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Yes the AUDIO button will allow you to cycle through the various audio surround modes BUT if your source for movies and music is the same (ie. media player) than for some reason STEREO never shows up as a choice, only the surround modes.
I just tested with a DD3/2 input (HDMI from satellite) and one choice wad Dolby Digital Stereo which appeared to only drive 2 channels (+sub).

I can try a DTS input later.

I recall some discussion on this earlier in the thread. Did you look/search back through it?

Yes, the output options depend on the input format (not the selected source).

There may be some setup option that affect the listed choices.
post #17086 of 17097 Old 08-02-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
I've owned the SC-05 for about 3 years and recently picked up the Anthem MRX-500.
Always wanted to try Anthem and Arcam so I found the MRX-500.
Sounds really nice (especially for movies) but I'm not sure it's night and day from my SC-05 as some reviewers have commented in the past.
Did you setup using ARC?
One of Anthem's big points is room correction.

Can you post the graphs? Maybe there's something in the room/speaker placement that ARC is having trouble with.

If the room correction isn't​ working well, then you'll still be hearing the room effects.

Or, you room is good and having little effect to begin with. In that case you shouldn't notice huge changes. A good amp doesn't change the sound

Last edited by ST Dog; 08-03-2017 at 04:39 AM.
post #17087 of 17097 Old 08-05-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Did you setup using ARC?
One of Anthem's big points is room correction.

Can you post the graphs? Maybe there's something in the room/speaker placement that ARC is having trouble with.

If the room correction isn't​ working well, then you'll still be hearing the room effects.

Or, you room is good and having little effect to begin with. In that case you shouldn't notice huge changes. A good amp doesn't change the sound
Yes I did use ARC (much better with ARC in any case) but not sure if it is the best it could be.
Site won't let me post links or images yet....
post #17088 of 17097 Old 08-05-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Yes I did use ARC (much better with ARC in any case) but not sure if it is the best it could be.
Site won't let me post links or images yet....
Also, my setup consists of the following:

FRONT L & R are in my wall (built in) speakers are Mirage M-290IS front ports on either side of screen
CENTER is in a wall cabinet (similar to built in wall) and is matching Mirage C-290 I believe under the screen
REAR L & R are Paradigm 8 inch 2 way in ceiling facing directly down.
2 Velodyne 12 inch subs along same left wall facing inward about 8 feet apart.
Please don't comment on my crude layout pic...and yes the rear speakers are BEHIND the main sofa about 2 feet, ideally should be on either side but nothings perfect.

FL C FR

S1->
-----
sofa|
|
-----
S2-> |-----------------|
main sofa

R-L R-R
post #17089 of 17097 Old 08-05-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Also, my setup consists of the following:

FRONT L & R are in my wall (built in) speakers are Mirage M-290IS front ports on either side of screen
CENTER is in a wall cabinet (similar to built in wall) and is matching Mirage C-290 I believe under the screen
REAR L & R are Paradigm 8 inch 2 way in ceiling facing directly down.
2 Velodyne 12 inch subs along same left wall facing inward about 8 feet apart.
Please don't comment on my crude layout pic...and yes the rear speakers are BEHIND the main sofa about 2 feet, ideally should be on either side but nothings perfect.

FL C FR

S1->
-----
sofa|
|
-----
S2-> |-----------------|
main sofa

R-L R-R
Well that pic came out worse than how i drew it....please ignore pic above and just go off description....
post #17090 of 17097 Old 08-05-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Well that pic came out worse than how i drew it....please ignore pic above and just go off description....
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx...1RnRVlDdy1nbU0

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx...mxfamZLYTF5TkU
post #17091 of 17097 Old 08-06-2017, 12:42 PM

I'm no guru, but the speakers weren't bad. Some clean up but it mostly looked good before ARC. It did even them out some.

Biggest thing I see is your sub's are rolling off before 100Hz. Is the low pass filter set at 80? Did you set an 80Hz crossover elsewhere?

I'd expect better from 2 12" subs.

That low cutoff will leave a lot of the LFE channels in movies missing. And a bit of a hole between the sub and from 3 speakers.

ARC will be better if you disable external crossovers an let it see what the speakers are capable of.

My single 12" sub could easily hit 120Hz in a fairly large space (15x21x11).

Last edited by ST Dog; 08-06-2017 at 11:08 PM.
post #17092 of 17097 Old 08-06-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
I'm no guru, but the speakers weren't bad. Some clean up but it mostly looked good before ARC. It did even them out some.

Biggest thing I see is your sub's are rolling off before 100Hz. Is the low pass filter set at 80? Did you set an 80Hz crossover elsewhere?

I'd expect better from 2 12" subs.

That low cutoff will leave a lot of the LFE channels in movies missing. And a bit of a hole between the sub and from 3 speakers.

ARC will be better if you disable external crossovers an let it see what the speakers are capable of.

My single 12" sub could easily hit 300Hz in a fairly large space (15x21x11).
Thanks for the response.
Yes the subs were set at DIRECT (or x-over OFF at the subs themselves as I've read here on other posts) so the receiver should be the one setting the x-over - correct ?
Not sure why it would be dropping off at 100Hz? You mean anything OVER 100Hz my sub is NOT playing right ?

When I did the ARC tests I was in ADVANCED and I set the freq.cutoffs at 80 I believe for the L,R, C & RL &RR
Wouldn't that mean that my speakers CAN play 80Hz and above so all high freqencies down to 80Hz should be played by the speakers and anything below 80Hz by the sub ??

It's a bit confusing cause they call it frequency cutoff but it says this is not the x-over ??

Also, the caclculated curves, those are the ones uploaded to the receiver when ARC is complete? So my speakers would be playing (when ARC is ON) at those calculated curves and no longer at the measured ones?
post #17093 of 17097 Old 08-06-2017, 11:00 PM

I didn't see much measured (the red line) above 100 Hz from the subs. That's usually a filter on the sub. Look back at some other sub charts and compare to yours. No you probably won't get the flat from 20-120Hz response with your setup, but you should have better than what you posted.

You don't need to mess with the Advanced page 99% of the time. Tends to introduce more problems than it solves (like trying to use the THX 80Hz figure where it's not the best choice).

I also see you set it to try lower frequencies (the blue line is flat to 20Hz) but your​ sub isn't even close down there. It's wasting resources trying to boost the low freq where the sub isn't performing.

The whole cutoff v/s crossover thing is different. For all but sub, it's the same, but the sub is different. Look at the crossover setting on the MRX after uploading from ARC. It's worth posting the levels settings from the MRX after uploading as well. Often the sub is too loud, and ARC has to cut it a lot (and boost other channels).

The green line is what ARC thinks tbe output will be based on the settings it send to the MRX, hence it's called calculated.

It was trying to move from red to blue, and green is how close it thinks it got.

You'd have to measure separately to see the actual result. But the lines are based on all the measured locations and most measurement tools only show one (they don't have facilities to average the 5-10 location the way ARC does).

Last edited by ST Dog; 08-06-2017 at 11:17 PM.
post #17094 of 17097 Old 08-06-2017, 11:22 PM

Suggest you read/understand the first posts of this thread, then the linked posts from them.

Read a few of the earlier sections where tweaking was done. The linked posts are good starting points.

Sadly, the guys that really understood this have moved on in the years since the 1st gen MRX was released.

I thought I had a good grasp back in Feb, but haven't looked at it much since, so I'm unclear/uncertain on much now.
post #17095 of 17097 Old 08-11-2017, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
anthem mrx300 connects to Emotiva XPA-5

Hi guys, i have an anthem mrx300 connected to Emotiva XPA-5, ran ARC, but i can't find anything different as before.......

I should be connecting XPA-5 with Pre-out from MRX300, right?

Any setting i need to be done on Anthem (pre out model) ?? Anything i should be aware or need to be done? Great thanks Guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LL.jpg (213.5 KB, 21 views)
post #17096 of 17097 Old 08-11-2017, 05:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 289
What did you expect to be different when using the XPA?
post #17097 of 17097 Old 08-13-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alricky View Post
Hi guys, i have an anthem mrx300 connected to Emotiva XPA-5, ran ARC, but i can't find anything different as before.......
Not clear what difference you expect to find.

Remember ARC is balancing the levels at the listening position. And 0dB on the volume knob is supposed to be a set SPL at the listening position. So -10 on the dial should sound the same unless you couldn't actually hit the desired level w/o the extra amp.

What I'd expect from a separate amp is better control at high volumes, possibly higher output overall since you are driving fewer channels with the MRX.

Post you chats and levels both with and w/o the external amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
3d Hdtv , Anthem , Anthem Mrx300 , Anthem Mrx500 , Anthem Mrx700 , Component Amplifiers , MRX-300 , power amp , Receivers Amplifiers , Speaker Systems , xpa-5

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page