Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 571 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 520Likes

post #17101 of 17123 Old 09-03-2017, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
Assume you tried unplugging it for a few minutes?

Problems during firmware updates are no fun. There is always a risk of corrupting the firmware and ending up with an unusable system.

You claim multiple problems but don't explain or give details. But if you were having problems communicating with the MRX I would not have tried a firmware update.
Hi, thanks for your reply

yes tried unplugging, left power off over night
Well after several hours of frustrating tinkering a firmware update was just something else to try

One of the main problems was having the right connector as hardware over the years advances
i.e I had to order in a VGA to USB lead as my PC no longer supported the lead that originally came with the Anthem
I have no CD/DVD player on my PC so downloading the ARC software is OK except you miss the mic file
so had to drag out an old laptop...and charge it to run the disc to copy the file....
Think i wasted time installing ARC-2 software that probably wasn't compatible with my unit
had trouble finding the mic for some reason, finally the mic appeared then it couldn't find the processor

it went on and on and on, many times I wondered how satisfying it would be to fling my Anthem from our 16th floor balcony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17102 of 17123 Old 09-03-2017, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Well, you can download the mic cal file too. You have to provide the serial number.

The RS232 serial to USB is a trick subject as many converters won't work for ARC. But those usually work for firmware.

Did you get the Keyspan model?

Sadly, it sounds like the firmware is now corrupted and not really fixable but a user.
You could contact Anthem, but probably cheaper to buy another than to ship it for repairs.

I just bought another​ one when mine had problems.

Last edited by ST Dog; 09-04-2017 at 05:02 AM.
post #17103 of 17123 Old 09-03-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Well, you can download the mic cal file too. You have to provide tbe serial number.

The RS232 serial to USB is a trick subject as many converters won't work for ARC. But those usually work for firmware.

Did you get the Keyspan model?

Sadly, it sounds like the firmware is now corrupted and not really fixable but a user.
You could contact Anthem, but probably cheaper to buy another than to ship it for repairs.

I just bought another​ one when mine had problems.
no it doesn't look like the keyspan model

I will be pretty hacked off if it is cactus
To download an update from Anthems website and install with their installer you would think would be a fairly safe operation

I emailed them yesterday as well, fingers crossed

post #17104 of 17123 Old 09-04-2017, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknaked007 View Post
no it doesn't look like the keyspan model
Then it is likely to not work for ARC. Very few have had success with other converters.

Quote:
To download an update from Anthems website and install with their installer you would think would be a fairly safe operation
It generally is, but there is always a chance of problems doing firmware updates. If something goes wring you can end up with corrupt firmware that won't start.

They can't control power stability or errors on your computer. People have had issues updating firmware in every device that has the option from PC BIOS updates to cell phones.

Based on my MRX 700 with a bad output channel, it was cheaper to buy another unit on eBay than ship it to Anthem had have it repaired. In your case shipping alone may exceed replacement cost.

This is the MRX 500 you've had since 2011 right?

Last edited by ST Dog; 09-04-2017 at 05:02 AM.
post #17105 of 17123 Old 09-04-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Then it is likely to not work for ARC. Very few have had success with other converters.

It generally is, but there is always a chance of problems doing firmware updates. If something goes wring you can end up with corrupt firmware that won't start.

They can't control power stability or errors on your computer. People have had issues updating firmware in every device that has the option from PC BIOS updates to cell phones.

Based on my MRX 700 with a bad output channel, it was cheaper to buy another unit on eBay than ship it to Anthem had have it repaired. In your case shipping alone may exceed replacement cost.

This is the MRX 500 you've had since 2011 right?
Morning

It was so close to it working, found the mic then failed finding the processor, i believe that was because the firmware had already corrupted it

yes, 2011 sounds right
post #17106 of 17123 Old 09-04-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
It was so close to it working, found the mic then failed finding the processor, i believe that was because the firmware had already corrupted it
When? Before you tried to update tbe firmware or after?

Of course the software on a PC will find the mic attached to the PC. That has no bearing on the firmware issue.

But that was never tbe issue with various converters, they would typically fail, uploading the corrections. A few failed during the sweeps.

I looked back and you had an issue with tbe RCVR shutting down. That was repaired under warranty right?

I though you had it all working back in 2012 though.

What prompted you to mess with firmware now?
post #17107 of 17123 Old 09-04-2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:
When? Before you tried to update tbe firmware or after?

Of course the software on a PC will find the mic attached to the PC. That has no bearing on the firmware issue.

But that was never tbe issue with various converters, they would typically fail, uploading the corrections. A few failed during the sweeps.

I looked back and you had an issue with tbe RCVR shutting down. That was repaired under warranty right?

I though you had it all working back in 2012 though.

What prompted you to mess with firmware now?
I had trouble getting my PC to see my mic

either a loose wire or someone said in a thread it doesn't like USB 3.0?
anyway during this specific stretch of frustration I was updating the firmware as it was just below the link to the ARC software download

once i had the mic discovered by the PC, normally an easy task I know, my amp update failed
so maybe it still would have failed further down the process

2012 I had the guy from the Hi-Fi store come out and run the ARC as part of the sale deal, from memory he had a hard time getting it to work with his laptop as well

anyway, like i said earlier, I had spent a good 3 hours messing about with this so desperate to try anything
post #17108 of 17123 Old 09-05-2017, 02:57 PM

You're at the mercy of Anthem now. Recommend you call them. Email support can be slow.

I think it was going to cost over $100 to ship to them and back. Plus whatever it costs for the actual repair.

I don't mess with firmware updated unless it fixed a problem I'm having.

FWIW, I could get other adapters to work with ARC but with the Keyspan it worked first try and every try.

My old laptops (with RS-232 serial ports) are not running windows, but I almost set one up for this instead of the Keyspan.
post #17109 of 17123 Old 09-05-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
I had trouble getting my PC to see my mic

either a loose wire or someone said in a thread it doesn't like USB 3.0?
anyway during this specific stretch of frustration I was updating the firmware as it was just below the link to the ARC software download

once i had the mic discovered by the PC, normally an easy task I know, my amp update failed
so maybe it still would have failed further down the process

2012 I had the guy from the Hi-Fi store come out and run the ARC as part of the sale deal, from memory he had a hard time getting it to work with his laptop as well

anyway, like i said earlier, I had spent a good 3 hours messing about with this so desperate to try anything
Just got a reply from Anthem service
they gave me the factory restore sequence to use if I can briefly turn it on [I can't]
option 2 was to get it serviced and there's a place near me

I live in hope, they didn't say it was doomed
post #17110 of 17123 Old 09-05-2017, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Hi
spent all afternoon trying to run the damn ARC software going from one problem to the next
found a firmware upgrade MRX500_700EU(v50.25) [i'm in Aussie]
it got a good way through installing then the amp turned off and finally it failed
now I cant even turn my amp back on!!!

any ideas please?

Cheers
There's a "ReadMe in the .zip with firmware update file that says the following:

"Check your computer's power management settings to ensure that the software update does not get interrupted. If you're using a USB to serial adapter: It must be one that supports two stop bits * check with adapter manufacturer. Keyspan USA-19HS is strongly recommended."

Was your keyspan the one Anthem recommends? If not, I wonder if it somehow got interrupted and lost it's connection even for a millisecond and caused the corruption.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #17111 of 17123 Old 09-05-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
Was your keyspan the one Anthem recommends?
He stated earlier that it was not the Keyspan, just some generic converter.
post #17112 of 17123 Old 09-06-2017, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
He stated earlier that it was not the Keyspan, just some generic converter.
Thanks ST Dog. Maybe it lost communication and caused the corruption.

post #17113 of 17123 Old 09-06-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks ST Dog. Maybe it lost communication and caused the corruption.
That was my thought too and why I initially asked.

There are lots of reasons a firmware flash could go bad, but the end result is the same. The only fix is send it in for repair. They may have the tools to recover (different way to flash the firmware).

Or they may just replace the board with the ROM on it. Seems they are limited as to what they can/will do to these receivers.
post #17114 of 17123 Old 09-06-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
That was my thought too and why I initially asked.

There are lots of reasons a firmware flash could go bad, but the end result is the same. The only fix is send it in for repair. They may have the tools to recover (different way to flash the firmware).

Or they may just replace the board with the ROM on it. Seems they are limited as to what they can/will do to these receivers.
the worst thing is, whatever this costs me, sure they may update my firmware but I'll still be faced with trying to run the damn ARC software when/if I get my amp back
potentially my generic adapter will still fail

guess it aint gunna trash the unit though so probably worth trying before I source the keyspan
I'll show it to the service center for their opinion

appreciate your thoughts
post #17115 of 17123 Old 09-07-2017, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
the worst thing is, whatever this costs me, sure they may update my firmware but I'll still be faced with trying to run the damn ARC software when/if I get my amp back
potentially my generic adapter will still fail

guess it aint gunna trash the unit though so probably worth trying before I source the keyspan
I'll show it to the service center for their opinion

appreciate your thoughts
The generic keyspan could have caused you to have problems running ARC as well as causing the corruption. There's no way to know now, but I would get the keyspan that Anthem strongly recommends.
hydrotex likes this.

post #17116 of 17123 Old 09-07-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
my generic adapter will still fail

Either the recommended USB converter or a computer with a real RS-232 serial port.

Used laptop with windows on a small drive can be found for under $100, probably $50. Battery not required, and it'd be shot anyway. I have a few like that that I use for RS-232 stuff, but have linux on them so cant fub ARC.

Last edited by ST Dog; Yesterday at 06:48 PM.
post #17117 of 17123 Old Yesterday, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello. I just bought the RSL Speedwoofer 10S and made measurements with the ANTHEM MRX300. Tell me what my measurements show. Is it good or not? Up to what bottom frequency does I play RSL Speedwoofer. The second measurement of my old subwoofer VELODYNE CHT10R. Which of these subwoofers plays better on the charts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rsl speedwoofer.png
Views:	13
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	2285424   Click image for larger version

Name:	velodyne cht 10r.png
Views:	12
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	2285426  
post #17118 of 17123 Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM

Quote:
The generic keyspan could have caused you to have problems running ARC as well as causing the corruption. There's no way to know now, but I would get the keyspan that Anthem strongly recommends.
Hi guys

well, guess I'm lucky, my amp was saved
description of repair below, $240

ANTHEM MRX-500, REMOVED MCU BOARD AND REFLOWED, REINSTALLED. RECOVERED FIRMWARE WITH FACTORY JIGS.
UPGRADED NORMAL SOFTWARE AND MULTIMEDIA SOFTWARE.
ASSEMBLED, TESTED PASSED. RESET UNIT TO FACTORY DEFAULT.
hydrotex likes this.
post #17119 of 17123 Old Yesterday, 07:00 PM

Quote:

RECOVERED FIRMWARE WITH FACTORY JIGS.
They have the tools to direct flash the firmware. Good to know.

And how much for shipping round trip?
post #17120 of 17123 Old Yesterday, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi guys

well, guess I'm lucky, my amp was saved

ANTHEM MRX-500, REMOVED MCU BOARD AND REFLOWED, REINSTALLED. RECOVERED FIRMWARE WITH FACTORY JIGS.
UPGRADED NORMAL SOFTWARE AND MULTIMEDIA SOFTWARE.
ASSEMBLED, TESTED PASSED. RESET UNIT TO FACTORY DEFAULT.
Wow so glad to hear your 500 was saved. $240 is a great price too. I'm assuming they don't know what caused it so it may be a good idea to get Anthem recommended keyspan just to be on the safe side. Big time congratulations on getting her back safe and sound.

post #17121 of 17123 Old Yesterday, 08:06 PM

Quote:
I'm assuming they don't know what caused it
Not sure they even tried to find out.

They pulled the board, ran it through a reflow oven, flashed it and put it all back together. I figure they wanted to be sure the connections were good before​ any other work.
post #17122 of 17123 Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM

Almost certainly caused by my cheapo 9 pin to USB adapter and attempt at the firmware using it

sourcing the Keyspan now
post #17123 of 17123 Old Yesterday, 09:53 PM

Quote:
sourcing the Keyspan now
Got mine from Walmart.com for $27. Back in February.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
3d Hdtv , Anthem , Anthem Mrx300 , Anthem Mrx500 , Anthem Mrx700 , Component Amplifiers , MRX-300 , power amp , Receivers Amplifiers , Speaker Systems , xpa-5

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page