Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #181 of 16555 Old 11-18-2010, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
John,

You are right in that I have not experienced ARC. But to say nothing will sound better without ARC is an awful bold statement to make. I am not trying to be argumentive or slam Anthem in any way but for me it is about choices. With the MRX lineup I would have no choice to see if I would prefer using ARC or straight analog. The other factor is that the MRX 500/700 are not inexpensive AVRs and at the cost I would want certain features.

For me when I sat down to listen to music today with my Parasound 2100, BDP-83SE, BA A7200 and Salk SongTowers I was extremely happy with the SQ and simplicity of my system. It just really surprises me that Anthem did not offer an option of an analog bypass for the analog inputs. At least offer a 7.1 analog input on the MRX 700 but Anthem decided not to.

Bill
Maybe, MRX900

Stan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 16555 Old 11-18-2010, 06:27 PM

Liked: 10
Ugly truth vs. Beautiful lie.

-Faithful signal without dsp is pure.
-Manipulated signal with dsp applied is distorted.

The important part is which sounds better?
post #183 of 16555 Old 11-18-2010, 06:31 PM

My primary reason for considering the anthem in the first place is ARC. It's probably one of the mrx's best, if not the best selling feature. It would be silly to purchase the mrx and not take advantage of ARC.

It would be like buying a meridian 2 channel dsp processor and bypassing it.
post #184 of 16555 Old 11-18-2010, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by giraffe View Post
my primary reason for considering the anthem in the first place is arc. It's probably one of the mrx's best, if not the best selling feature. It would be silly to purchase the mrx and not take advantage of arc.

It would be like buying a meridian 2 channel dsp processor and bypassing it.
+1

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #185 of 16555 Old 11-18-2010, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

+2 no seriously, arc is doing things to my system that i never thought possible. sound quality is remarkable. for once in my life, my system is dynamic, yet delicate, explosive and tactile. i have seen the light!!

post #186 of 16555 Old 11-19-2010, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

+3 but to add i feel less is more. im glad Anthem left out all the bells and whistles. the number two reason i sent back my onkyo 1007 last year that was DOA.
post #187 of 16555 Old 11-19-2010, 05:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony A. View Post

+2 no seriously, arc is doing things to my system that i never thought possible. sound quality is remarkable. for once in my life, my system is dynamic, yet delicate, explosive and tactile. i have seen the light!!

Hey Anthony,
What AVR did you have before the MRX? Did it have Audysee? If so how does the ARC compare to it?
post #188 of 16555 Old 11-19-2010, 06:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by gostan View Post
Maybe, MRX900
Maybe not as the MRX 900 is just a little out of my budget. Hopefully Anthem will announce a lower cost prepro based on the MRX line for those looking for prepro. AVM 25 maybe?.

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #189 of 16555 Old 11-19-2010, 06:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by osofast240sx View Post
im glad Anthem left out all the bells and whistles.
I'm not sure if you are referring to a 7.1 analog input or analog bypass as being a bell and whistle feature. I sure do not see it that way. But to each his own and I'm sure Anthem will have much success with the MRX lineup.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #190 of 16555 Old 11-19-2010, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 56
The unintended consequence of direct mode for a prepro's stereo inputs, something in our products since 2001, is countless requests for the ability to use a sub at the same time. This would be of little value because analog filters add more noise than using DSP to get the job done.

Today ARC is in the mix along with desire to return to less complicated setup. The number of people who have been saying that there are too many things in the menu outnumber those who have been saying that there aren't enough. DSP+ARC vs direct has been compared countless times on the prepros which do have direct mode and the results are to my knowledge unanimous. Without an ARC demo I don't know how much more there is to say.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #191 of 16555 Old 11-19-2010, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Is the dialog norm offset shown as part of the OSD Info display? If not any plans to add it? And is the OSD volume like the D2v where it is only text or is it surrounded by a black box?
post #192 of 16555 Old 11-19-2010, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbaldwin View Post

Thanks for the reply. That is an unfortunate limitation because it doesn't seem as if there would be a good way to listen to DTS 5.1 sources as 7.1 with back channels (it looks like DTS Neo only generates a mono back channel).

how about DTS-MA + DPLIIx - is that possible ? not many Blurays are 7.1 - so being able to fill in a "simulated" rear I something I use a lot

I use DTS (core/legacy) + DPLIIx as my preferred 7.1 surround option for Blurays on my 59TXi and it works very well
post #193 of 16555 Old 11-19-2010, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by markabuckley View Post

how about DTS-MA + DPLIIx - is that possible ? not many Blurays are 7.1 - so being able to fill in a "simulated" rear I something I use a lot

I use DTS (core/legacy) + DPLIIx as my preferred 7.1 surround option for Blurays on my 59TXi and it works very well

I just heard back from Anthem tech support and they replied that unlike the manual suggests it IS possible to apply DPLIIx to DTS sound tracks. Can any owner with a 7.1 setup test this? Thanks.
post #194 of 16555 Old 11-19-2010, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just heard back from Anthem tech support and they replied that unlike the manual suggests it IS possible to apply DPLIIx to DTS sound tracks. Can any owner with a 7.1 setup test this? Thanks.

To be clear, it is possible through on the fly selection i.e. select PLIIx after pressing Audio. Note that it will not return to PLIIx if mode preset is Last Used, so selection has to be made each time DTS is played.

This could all change in the future. I don't know when or by how much.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #195 of 16555 Old 11-19-2010, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem View Post

To be clear, it is possible through on the fly selection i.e. select PLIIx after pressing Audio. Note that it will not return to PLIIx if mode preset is Last Used, so selection has to be made each time DTS is played.

If it is possible, then why not let it be a selection in the "Listening Mode Presets"? Sounds like a simple mistake/omission?
post #196 of 16555 Old 11-19-2010, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Is the dialog norm offset shown as part of the OSD Info display? If not any plans to add it? And is the OSD volume like the D2v where it is only text or is it surrounded by a black box?

My recollection from last weekends' demo is that it is surrounded by a black box.

Stan
post #197 of 16555 Old 11-19-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:

The unintended consequence of direct mode for a prepro's stereo inputs, something in our products since 2001, is countless requests for the ability to use a sub at the same time. This would be of little value because analog filters add more noise than using DSP to get the job done.

Today ARC is in the mix along with desire to return to less complicated setup. The number of people who have been saying that there are too many things in the menu outnumber those who have been saying that there aren't enough. DSP+ARC vs direct has been compared countless times on the prepros which do have direct mode and the results are to my knowledge unanimous. Without an ARC demo I don't know how much more there is to say.

This may be a bit of a stream of consciousness so I apologize ahead of time

Comparing the digital output of my Essence ST soundcard with its analog out to the MRX-700. I can say that using the digital input to the MRX sounds much better to me than using the analog even after rolling op amps in the soundcard. I'm not sure, that would be the case if I sent it analog from say an Arye Dac, a W4S DAC2 or a Oppo BDP-83SE.

I think part of the problem is that most 2ch audiophiles have been educated that it's all about bit perfect (digital) and purity (no more additional processing than necessary).

In computer audio all you hear about is bit perfect low jitter digital transmission to a DAC (either an external box or in a receiver). You have many pre/pros and receivers that market direct analog inputs with no signal processing or direct analog inputs with no signal processing that turn off the video boards because they make noise. Audiophiles have been educated that, Less is more.

It's difficult for a person to get their arms around the fact that you can spend 2X the price of an MRX-700 on an external DAC. Yet at the end of the day, you are totally dependent on the A/D conversion and ARC software in the Anthem being good enough that the quality of that 2X external DAC still makes a difference.

Conversely, just because something has a direct (unprocessed) analog input doesn't mean it sounds good. I used a Cary 303-200 CDP with an Anthem D2, Pioneer SC-07, and an Integra 9.8 in direct mode and I can tell you that the Integra was terrible because of its analog input stage. Sum of the parts is more important than a minimalist approach but changing the audiophile paradigm (no pun intended) that been passed down the audiophile family tree that less is more in 2 channel audio is difficult. To that end, I'd like to get a high-end USB dac for my music player but don't want to spend the money knowing that what I hear from it may have more to do with Anthem's influance on the sound than that of the DAC
post #198 of 16555 Old 11-20-2010, 12:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If it is possible, then why not let it be a selection in the "Listening Mode Presets"? Sounds like a simple mistake/omission?

I guess it can under the circumstances, and if there was no mode preset menu or other precedent everything would have appeared alright. The fact is that it's been an action item since the handbuilt prototype days, along with other features. Way back when, there was no Dolby post-processing on DTS source and vice versa on the prepros either. It was added through software later, the difference being that no one outside the company requested it or knew it was coming.

post #199 of 16555 Old 11-20-2010, 12:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Is the dialog norm offset shown as part of the OSD Info display? If not any plans to add it?

No plan to have it displayed beyond minimum requirement (front panel) and this is giving me flashbacks of the many tech support calls I used to get from people who thought it was some kind of error message.

post #200 of 16555 Old 11-20-2010, 06:08 AM
TLF

PGriff, very nicely put, couldn't have said it better myself. The main thing is that we all enjoy our systems whatever they may be, and however they are configured. Tim
post #201 of 16555 Old 11-20-2010, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Where can one buy one of these receivers ?
No dealers in Memphis.
post #202 of 16555 Old 11-20-2010, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLF View Post

PGriff, very nicely put, couldn't have said it better myself. The main thing is that we all enjoy our systems whatever they may be, and however they are configured. Tim

I have no problem with people enjoying their individually condfigured systems but we are on a forum with the word Science in it. So it seems reasonable that there might be the odd debate about specific claims made by posters and it would also follow that anyone here could then challenge those claims. If we want to feel good about our systems, perhaps we should go back to our dealers, surely they'll tell us
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #203 of 16555 Old 11-20-2010, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess it can under the circumstances, and if there was no mode preset menu or other precedent everything would have appeared alright.

Thanks for the explanation. I hope it can be added because if I would have to select it manually each time I think I would find it unusable.
post #204 of 16555 Old 11-20-2010, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post

Hey Anthony,
What AVR did you have before the MRX? Did it have Audysee? If so how does the ARC compare to it?

denon 4310.

post #205 of 16555 Old 11-20-2010, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the explanation. I hope it can be added because if I would have to select it manually each time I think I would find it unusable.

agreed. or some kind of rear channel matrix to implement with the standard surround modes would be just as good. my previous denon 4310 avr had this feature and it was welcomed greatly.

post #206 of 16555 Old 11-20-2010, 03:13 PM

I just traded in my Abthem AVM30 and MCA5 for an MRX 500. It will come ina bout a week apparently. I have about 10-15 spare cables now! Anyone wanna buy some Transparent RCA and balanced cables?

I can't wait. ARC here I come.
post #207 of 16555 Old 11-20-2010, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by markabuckley View Post

My Denon 3311 can do it, so I can't see why the anthem wouldn't do it.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #208 of 16555 Old 11-20-2010, 05:31 PM

" I do miss being able to change Listening Modes on the remote and this is a huge omission by Anthem.[/b] Sort of reminds me of the early days with the D2, and I see that thread is running over 10K repsonses." Quote

This thread is way over my head technically. I've owned lots of amps, preamps etc for simple music listening and movie watching. Dobly Digital/dts type stuff. But all this technology now is mind blowing.

To the comment above as a quote. You mean to tell me the remote doesn't have all the music/movie mode buttons on it and you have to manually go over to the tuner to change the listening mode??

Also, I'm interested in HD radio. I just bought a Marantz SR 8002 but still NIB, which I can return, and was considering trading up the the SR-7005.

However, I just saw the Anthem today and really liked it, but it's a first generation piece and I'm leary about dropping near 2K on a "receiver" as you hear so many stories about them dying young.

I've owned McIntosh amps, pre-amps, etc. and never had "life" issues with them. I see lots of complaints about receivers.

Also, can somone explain to me if this receiver will stream Internet radio like some of the other new entries from other mfg'rs are and what you need to do it? Is there actually some type of "Internet Tuner" once hooked up insdie the unit?

I have a computer room down the hall from my LR which has a router so how would I go about that? That would be a long cable run "somehow". Forgive me if these questions sound simple but I'm just looking for information and I'm a very simple guy.

I see a "Nick" from Anthem on here. Maybe he'd like some easy ones.........

How does the HD radio in the Anthem compare with the ones in the Marantz models spec and performance wise?

No offense to Anthem, but this is a first generation product, so there's bound to be some problems.

Can anyone offer unbiased ops on this MRX-700 vs. the Marantz 7005? or 8002, bells and whistles aside?

Thanks in advance for anyone's time.
post #209 of 16555 Old 11-21-2010, 04:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by zork52 View Post

Also, can somone explain to me if this receiver will stream Internet radio like some of the other new entries from other mfg'rs are and what you need to do it? Is there actually some type of "Internet Tuner" once hooked up insdie the unit?

From the MRX 300/500/700 user manual (available from the website):

Quote:

2.4 ETHERNET (not available on MRX 300) This connection is required for use of vTuner Internet radio. Connect using CAT 5 cable or wireless receiver.

Quote:

4.3.2 MULTIMEDIA
The receiver can play audio from these sources:
vTuner Internet Radio (not available on MRX 300): Press MEDIA once or twice so Internet Radio is displayed. Use on-screen display to browse through a large number of stations and Podcasts from across the world and make selections. Stations are organized by genre, popularity, country, sound quality, and other categories.

To answer a few of your questions.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Tony
post #210 of 16555 Old 11-21-2010, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO1 View Post

From the MRX 300/500/700 user manual (available from the website):

To answer a few of your questions.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Tony

Hey Thanks Tony. I'm not a "regular" on here so any poster response is appreciated. I wAAAAAAAYYYYY behind the techno curve.

Again, I'm still interested in how the FM / HD radio tuner works compared to others. Anthem doesn't list any actual specs for it at all. Marantz does.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx500 , Anthem Mrx300 , Anthem Mrx700 , Receivers Amplifiers , Component Amplifiers , 3d Hdtv , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page