Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 16714 Old 11-22-2010, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater View Post

I didn't demo this unit because I bought it before it was released, but I find this issue funny/ironic. My friends from NJ, make lots of jokes at the expense of my town just outside Albany, NY - usually "Does everyone just cut wood for a living?"

But within 20 minutes of me I've got a dealer with Anthem/Paradigm on display and ready for a demo. Yes, a very limited # of items, but there none-the-less.

And yes, the MRX-700 is an amazing receiver. Amp is as good as my NAD 773 and ARC puts it WAY over the top.

Does this qualify as a review? I certainly hope so.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 16714 Old 11-22-2010, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post

Thanks,
That is where my dealer is. Talk of the town in Allendale.

If you are looking to demo an MRX near Bergen County, try a Audio Doctor (www.audiodoctor.com), or Total Home Technologies (www.totalhomeNJ.com). If you find yourself in another part of Jersey; try JS Audio (www.jsaudiovideo.com), and Hi-Tech Stereo (www.hitechstereo.com). All these dealers have at least one MRX on display.

dream in algorithms

twitter
post #243 of 16714 Old 11-22-2010, 12:43 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post

Where do you live?

Durham, NC
post #244 of 16714 Old 11-22-2010, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater View Post

I didn't demo this unit because I bought it before it was released, but I find this issue funny/ironic. My friends from NJ, make lots of jokes at the expense of my town just outside Albany, NY - usually "Does everyone just cut wood for a living?"

But within 20 minutes of me I've got a dealer with Anthem/Paradigm on http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/image...n12.gifdisplay and ready for a demo. Yes, a very limited # of items, but there none-the-less.

And yes, the MRX-700 is an amazing receiver. Amp is as good as my NAD 773 and ARC puts it WAY over the top.

This is the info I am looking for!
(And yes, the MRX-700 is an amazing receiver. Amp is as good as my NAD 773 and ARC puts it WAY over the top).
post #245 of 16714 Old 11-22-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

I think a DEMO is meaningless.

How it sounds in the store has no bearing on how it
will perform in your home or theater. Most people buy
the BOX - [any brand] - bring it home and see how
it performs. To do that they need to PAY If they
don't like it - they bring it back.

Normally I might agree...but with ARC, I think a before/after comparison in any room would be helpful.
post #246 of 16714 Old 11-22-2010, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by noysboy View Post

Normally I might agree...but with ARC, I think a before/after comparison in any room would be helpful.

That was one of the points I was trying to make.

How it sounds at your place is unique.

I own the Pre/Pro
post #247 of 16714 Old 11-22-2010, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That was one of the points I was trying to make.

How it sounds at your place is unique.

I own the Pre/Pro

I would have to agreee with this assessment. I listened to demos for my D2v and Paradigm speakers at my dealer and then when this combo made it's way into my HT, needless to say, very different. The other thing people don't realize is when you finally get ARC and measure for the first time, this may just be the beginning of a whole lot of tweaking, using the ARC charts, to get a great sounding room. Most of us on the Anthem thread have done this with outstanding results. I can't even remember what my first measurement sounded like but I can say it didn't sound the way it does now. I know for the money, people are hesistant to just drop the coin down and hope for the best. The unit can be taken back, but most importantly, Anthem makes great pre/pros for which most of the technology is being used one way or another, in these receivers and we benefit from this without having to dole out a lot of extra cash; at least not all of us And with ARC, these are game changers, and these aren't my words but Anthem competitors.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #248 of 16714 Old 11-22-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

I would have to agreee with this assessment. I listened to demos for my D2v and Paradigm speakers at my dealer and then when this combo made it's way into my HT, needless to say, very different. The other thing people don't realize is when you finally get ARC and measure for the first time, this may just be the beginning of a whole lot of tweaking, using the ARC charts, to get a great sounding room. Most of us on the Anthem thread have done this with outstanding results. I can't even remember what my first measurement sounded like but I can say it didn't sound the way it does now. I know for the money, people are hesistant to just drop the coin down and hope for the best. The unit can be taken back, but most importantly, Anthem makes great pre/pros for which most of the technology is being used one way or another, in these receivers and we benefit from this without having to dole out a lot of extra cash; at least not all of us And with ARC, these are game changers, and these aren't my words but Anthem competitors.
John

Gotta agree. Now that I've had my MRX-700 running for over a week I believe the receiver would be a great value even if it didn't have ARC. It's just a terrific implementation for the money in all material respects. And in terms of value, ARC (in concert with PBK; I used MCACC and Audyssey previously) for my room is quite possibly worth the price of the receiver. That you get both must have other manufacturers hoping the word doesn't get out.
post #249 of 16714 Old 11-22-2010, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzzo View Post

Gotta agree. Now that I've had my MRX-700 running for over a week I believe the receiver would be a great value even if it didn't have ARC. It's just a terrific implementation for the money in all material respects. And in terms of value, ARC (in concert with PBK; I used MCACC and Audyssey previously) for my room is quite possibly worth the price of the receiver. That you get both must have other manufacturers hoping the word doesn't get out.

Have you run ARC yet and if so, what are your initial impressions of it vs. Audyssey. I presently use PBK with my Sub 25 and do ARC on top. The results are phenomenal but then this is with my main HT. My MRX 500 is in the family room with a 2.1 setup so not the best way to test the unit or ARC. It does sound much better than with my denon and Audyssey, but that was hardly a surprise.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #250 of 16714 Old 11-22-2010, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 65
Quote:

Does this qualify as a review? I certainly hope so.
John

The NAD 773 AVR is world class in sound quality so if the MRX 700 amp is that good that is significant. I almost bought one a couple of years ago.

Cheers.

Tony
post #251 of 16714 Old 11-22-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noysboy View Post

Durham, NC

Audio Video Excellence told me they have two on order for demos (one 500, one 700) due in the next week or so. What's the other dealer around here?
post #252 of 16714 Old 11-22-2010, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO1 View Post

The NAD 773 AVR is world class in sound quality so if the MRX 700 amp is that good that is significant. I almost bought one a couple of years ago.

Cheers.

Tony

Good info thanks Tony.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #253 of 16714 Old 11-22-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:

I think a DEMO is meaningless.

How it sounds in the store has no bearing on how it
will perform in your home or theater. Most people buy
the BOX - [any brand] - bring it home and see how
it performs. To do that they need to PAY If they
don't like it - they bring it back.

I don't think I would go that far. It can be worthwhile to compare different systems in the same room (even at a store). For instance, I plan to compare the 500 and 700 at my dealer to see if the 700 seems worth the extra cash. I'm guessing the answer will be it isn't, but you never know. It so happens they have the same speakers I have, so that makes the comparison a little more apt.

Of course you are right that the true test is in your own room with your own gear. Some dealers will let you take home loaner equipment without paying for just that purpose. Just the other day mine said they "encourage this." That's while I'll be sending some more business their way.
post #254 of 16714 Old 11-22-2010, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by favorini View Post

Some dealers will let you take home loaner equipment without paying for just that purpose. Just the other day mine said they "encourage this." That's while I'll be sending some more business their way.

NOW you are talking about a GOOD DEALER
post #255 of 16714 Old 11-22-2010, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by favorini View Post

I don't think I would go that far. It can be worthwhile to compare different systems in the same room (even at a store). For instance, I plan to compare the 500 and 700 at my dealer to see if the 700 seems worth the extra cash. I'm guessing the answer will be it isn't, but you never know. It so happens they have the same speakers I have, so that makes the comparison a little more apt.

Of course you are right that the true test is in your own room with your own gear. Some dealers will let you take home loaner equipment without paying for just that purpose. Just the other day mine said they "encourage this." That's while I'll be sending some more business their way.

Mine lets me too, hence the huge amount of business I send them
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #256 of 16714 Old 11-22-2010, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post

You have to understand my frustration not being able to demo these AVR's, and to have to give my dealer the money upfront to order it.

Dealerships are private businesses and the people running them decide for themselves what their comfort zone is - they can adopt early or they can wait and see, just like end users do.

On a related note, dealers can sell to anyone from anywhere *as long as transaction is in person*, unless product has been discontinued for a specified time. This is common with pricier things, and it's not just AV or even retail finished goods. Without it, local businesses are subject to waste time on people who intend to buy elsewhere. Even in the e-commerce age people usually want to see before they buy. The catch is that unlike with automobile franchises, a dealer that didn't sell the product is under no obligation to service it.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #257 of 16714 Old 11-22-2010, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Nick,

any idea when we will see the MDX1 dock for the iPod?

Cheers.

Tony
post #258 of 16714 Old 11-22-2010, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The unit can be taken back,

To be clear, it's up to the dealer. Satisfaction guarantee is sometimes confused with factory warranty covering parts and manufacturing but it's unrelated.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #259 of 16714 Old 11-22-2010, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO1 View Post

any idea when we will see the MDX1 dock for the iPod?

Sorry, can only guess. Maybe in March.

post #260 of 16714 Old 11-22-2010, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem View Post

Sorry, can only guess. Maybe in March.

Okay, thanks!

Cheers.
post #261 of 16714 Old 11-22-2010, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony A. View Post

hey nick, any chance we can get the upload file from you directly or post it here for download?

Our web site will be set up with it. Not sure when but it shouldn't be long.

11.4 MB so I don't know if it can be posted, and too big to e-mail.

post #262 of 16714 Old 11-22-2010, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenzhen dude View Post

I need to find out the PACKED weight of the MRX-500 and also the box dimensions.

I don't have exact weight but box dimensions for all three models in centimetres is 52.5 x 61 x 26.

post #263 of 16714 Old 11-22-2010, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zork52 View Post

How does the HD radio in the Anthem compare with the ones in the Marantz models spec and performance wise?

Can't answer that except to say that HD Radio comes in chipsets and modules that any manufacturer can source, as opposed to being a discrete circuit that any one manufacturer would design.

post #264 of 16714 Old 11-22-2010, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I never heard mine either when I ordered the MRX500, I am just confident that Anthem wouldn't put their name on an inferior product.

Everything this company does is good and the store I bought mine from offered the Denon 4311 I came in to purchase but told me to wait and buy this one for less money!

They never had one hooked up and I bought it sight unseen.

I would suggest that the ARC is equal or better than Audyssey, that the amplification is second to none in the price range and the thousands of posts on here about Anthem build quality is enough to make my purchase decision easy.

Jeff

p/s I will try to post my info as soon as the bad boy hits my hands!

Whether you think you can or think you can't...you're correct!
Henry Ford
post #265 of 16714 Old 11-22-2010, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxdowne View Post

I never heard mine either when I ordered the MRX500, I am just confident that Anthem wouldn't put their name on an inferior product.

Everything this company does is good and the store I bought mine from offered the Denon 4311 I came in to purchase but told me to wait and buy this one for less money!

They never had one hooked up and I bought it sight unseen.

I would suggest that the ARC is equal or better than Audyssey, that the amplification is second to none in the price range and the thousands of posts on here about Anthem build quality is enough to make my purchase decision easy.

Jeff

p/s I will try to post my info as soon as the bad boy hits my hands!

Better than Audyssey, I've compared them.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #266 of 16714 Old 11-22-2010, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

NOW you are talking about a GOOD DEALER

I agree. And, that is the only reason why I brought my MRX700 back to my good dealer after my three day home demo.

Stan
post #267 of 16714 Old 11-22-2010, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

You have got to be kidding me! It's Anthem therefore I buy? I sincerely appreciate the effort but come on. If this was Yamaha, Denon, Parasound, Pioneer, Cary, you name it everyone would be saying... If I can't hear it, etc. I've been in the market for a pre/pro in the Anthems price range but.... jeez this is amazing.

Yes, I'm still looking at the Anthem MRX series for a pre/pro, but the lack of serious owner reviews here is kind of disheartening.
post #268 of 16714 Old 11-22-2010, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfugh View Post

You have got to be kidding me! It's Anthem therefore I buy? I sincerely appreciate the effort but come on. If this was Yamaha, Denon, Parasound, Pioneer, Cary, you name it everyone would be saying... If I can't hear it, etc. I've been in the market for a pre/pro in the Anthems price range but.... jeez this is amazing.

Yes, I'm still looking at the Anthem MRX series for a pre/pro, but the lack of serious owner reviews here is kind of disheartening.

Lots of people buy the above mentioned brands without hearing them if they previously owned one so this isn't as big a leap of faith as you might suggest. Most who own one have commented but clearly a lot of people haven't taken delivery. What specifically are you concerned about in these receivers?
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #269 of 16714 Old 11-22-2010, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfugh View Post

Lack of ownership is the problem, not many have it yet

Whether you think you can or think you can't...you're correct!
Henry Ford
post #270 of 16714 Old 11-22-2010, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

John

Actually I have no major "concerns", but I'd love to see one in a users setting, user setup, user photos, user GUI photos, user impressions based on previous ownership, etc... Anthem's dealership network is limited, Anthem's ownership is also limited, yet I continually see folks saying it's an Anthem trust us - buy it and you'll see, well...I don't trust that statement.

The AVM50V and D2V have issues, not insurmountable but issues nonetheless; I'd like to hear if anyone has issues with the MRX series of receivers. All I hear is trust me it's awesome, it's an Anthem.

Will the MRX series make a great pre/pro; I think it will, but from what I can gather from this thread there are issues:

1. Can't pass through HDMI to a display in standby? Big issue for WAF factor.
2. No multi-channel in w/some level of pass through; you have to use HDMI and use ARC. Yes I want to use ARC, but I want to see for myself - not just trust that "it is better why do you want that"?
3. No ability for any level of amp assign or off for a "pure" processor mode?
4. Only 1 HDMI out for a display? Not good if you have a display and a projector.
5. Only 4 HDMI in's? No issue for me, but it is for a lot of folks.
6. What are the DACs? Not a huge issue, implementation is the bigger factor, but what are they in the MRX series of receivers?
7. How does the video processing work? Can it be bypassed? What are they using in comparison to the upper level processors?

My other Questions:

1. Is ARC assignable to 24/192 HDMI inputs? Can a 24/192 BD music/movie disc have ARC applied?
2. Has anyone tested the above?
3. How does ARC work with 2 sub woofers? No I'm not going to the AVM/D2V thread, the MRX series is not the processor series based on what you have said. Similar yes, but not the same.
4. Is any one using the MRX series as a processor and what do you think?
5. What is Anthem's policy on trade-in's? I might go from an MRX-700 to a 900 when released.

I'm not trying to be a pain, these are questions I have. I have a dealer 2 hours away, but based on the current economic situations he will not have an Anthem receiver for demo but only for special order. Actually, he's trying to sell me the Yamaha A3000 vice the Anthem due to the fact he can give me a demo of it (1v pre out compared to the Anthems 4.3v max). Kind of amazing considering they are about the same price; I have a feeling Yamaha is giving dealers a lot of leeway on the Aventage series due to their recent custom install software. Who knows?

Sorry for the negativity, but that's it.

Mark

BTW I will use the MRX as a multichannel music/movie processor in HT bypass with a 2-channel preamp.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx500 , Anthem Mrx300 , Anthem Mrx700 , Receivers Amplifiers , Component Amplifiers , 3d Hdtv , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread - Mrx500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page