AVS Forum banner
2M views 17K replies 823 participants last post by  Inniswhe 
#1 ·

Link to Anthem MRX Page

MRX Series .pdf Literature Download
  • Anthem Quality!
  • Anthem Performance!
  • Exclusive Anthem Technology like the award-winning Anthem Room Correction included.
  • Price! Extraordinary for everything you get!
  • Power to spare! Every model offers 7 channels of power more continuous power than anything in their price range: MRX 700: 120 watts per channel, MRX 500: 100 watts per channel, MRX 300: 80 watts per channel

3D ready receivers with optional iPod dock
Anthem just announced their brand new line of 3D ready A/V receivers. The MRX series features four receivers: the MRX 300, MRX 500, MRX 700, and MRX 900, all featuring 7 channels of amplification (MRX 900 will have 9 channels of amplification) and 4 HDMI in/1 out (MRX 900 will have 7 HDMI in/1 out). Bringing the company's award winning technology to its newest line, Anthem's MRX receivers are all equipped with the critically acclaimed Anthem Room Correction (ARC) system.

A highly anticipated release, the Anthem MRX receivers include all the latest audio formats inc luding Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Pro Logic IIz, and DTS-HD Master Audio and support internet radio (except MRX 300) and HD Radio (MRX 700 and MRX 900). In addition, the MRX series will process 3D movies and television when paired with a 3DTV and a 3D capable source component making them the perfect addition for 3D enabled home theaters. The MRX receivers boast amplifier sections embodying Anthem's design focus on low noise, low distortion and "real" power. Standard on all Anthem products, the receivers come with the company's hallmark of user-friendly menus and easy operation.

HIGHLIGHTS
  • Anthem Room Correction (ARC)
  • A very beefy amp - more real' power than the competition!
  • Dual-processor audio DSP
  • Video Conversion from Composite Video and Component Video to HDMI
  • Scaling up to 1080p60
  • 1080p24 mode
  • Dolby Volume
  • AM/FM Tuner
  • 3D Support via software upgrade

DECODING
  • Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Digital Plus
  • Dolby Digital EX
  • DTS-HD Master Audio
  • DTS-ES (Matrix, Discrete)
  • DTS 96/24

LISTENING MODES
  • AnthemLogic-Music
  • AnthemLogic-Cinema
  • Dolby Pro Logic IIx (Movie, Music, Game)
  • Dolby Pro Logic IIz
  • DTS Neo:6 (Music, Cinema)
  • Dolby Virtual Speaker (Wide, Reference)
  • All Channel Stereo
  • Dolby Digital EX

INPUTS
  • 4 HDMI Inputs
  • Analog Video Inputs: 4 Composite + 3 Component
  • Digital Audio Inputs: 2 Coaxial + 3 Optical
  • 7 Stereo Analog RCA Inputs
  • 2 USB Inputs (MRX 700/500)
  • HDMI On-Screen Display - setup, video adjustments, status, song navigation

CUSTOM INSTALLATION
  • IR Input
  • IR Emitter Output
  • Trigger Output
  • Second Zone
  • RS-232 Control

ADDITIONAL FEATURES
  • Video Configuration Memorized by Source
  • Dolby Headphone
  • Backlit Remote Control
  • Sidemount Rack Kit (sold separately)
  • Separate Zone 2 remote (non-backlit)

WARRANTY
  • 3 years
  • 1 year on Remote Control

Dimensions
  • MRX 300/500/700 : 6.5" H x 17.25" W x 15.25" D (16.4 cm x 43.9 cm x 39.0 cm)

ModelFMV(US)FMV(CAN)AvailabilityChannelsPower 2 chPower 5 chTransformerHDMI in/outUSB front/backEthernetInternet RadioHD RadioRDSVideo ProcessorMade inWeight
MRX 300$999$1099Early 20117.180W60WE-I4/10/0nonononoGenesis TorinoChina33.4 lb (15.2 kg)
MRX 500$1499$1649Now7.1100W75WE-I4/11/1yesyesnonoGenesis TorinoChina34.3 lb (15.6 kg)
MRX 700$1999$2199Now7.1120W90WToroidal4/11/1yesyesyesyesGenesis TorinoChina35.4 lb (16.1 kg)

ARC Details

WHAT IS ANTHEM ROOM CORRECTION AND WHY IS IT THE BEST ON THE MARKET?

Latest ARC download link

Even when the finest speakers are perfectly positioned, the room itself can have a dramatic negative impact on sound quality. Room dimensions, dead spots, archways, even furniture can turn a room into an additional instrument adding unwanted coloration and resonance to music and movies. ARC adjusts for the room's effect on the speakers in a way that mimics our hearing. Now your Anthem gear and your Paradigm speakers can do what they do best: allow you to lose yourself in the music or movie you're watching. How does ARC do what it does?
  • ARC analyzes each speaker's in-room response then sets output levels, crossover frequencies and room correction parameters for each one.
  • ARC applies correction for up to 7 channels plus the sub!
  • ARC applies Super-Efficient Infinite Impulse Response (IIR) filters in addition to Anthem's custom topology all that means no engine' noise, this baby runs quickly and quietly.
  • Unlike other room correction systems, ARC allows for multiple microphone measurements, that way everyone in the room gets a better listen, not just those sitting directly between the speakers.
  • Processing power to spare!
  • ARCuracy! The connected PC's 64-bit floating point processor calculates the correction curves to the n'th degree of accuracy.
  • Separate configurations for music and movies.
  • Applies correction to peaks and dips in room response - since rooms have both we get a far more natural and accurate response tackling both!
  • Fully automated or manual setup - you choose which procedure you want to use!
USB to Serial Adapter
Keyspan USA-19hs
has proven to be the most reliable and has the most up to date driver list from MAC to Windows 7

Click on help and resources tab on that page for the latest drivers.

These adapters can be easily found inexpensivly through a google search.... Here

See less See more
#164 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem /forum/post/19503683

There isn't. Countless Audio Precision measurements show the same results regardless of time in use. Same with previous models.

Great to see a manufacturer finally dispel this myth of "breakin" on electronics. Also, great to have you around Nick, it's rare for B&M manufacturer's to venture into the "wild" per se. Though good to see Paradigm is getting on the social media advertising/interaction train ...

#165 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray /forum/post/19505592

Quite different price class.

John

My older Integra DTR 6.5 had a learning remote, and it was less than an MRX. You would think this is more important than a seperate remote for zone 2.

#166 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray /forum/post/19479522

Actually the MRXs do not have Analog DSP as a choice. All inputs are digitized since there are no analog inputs. Therefore ARC can do it's magic with all incoming signals.

John

Hello John,

I do not understand this statement? If I run my OppoSE's stereo analog out's into the MRX, does the MRX process it through its DSP's or can you get a direct pass through only using the Anthems amp section?

#167 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerretHunter /forum/post/19504871

Is the remote in the MRX receivers a universal remote? I read the manual from their website, and it didn't seem to indicate that it is universal.

I want to control my other components, and don't really want to have to buy a harmony remote ($ is tight).

Thanks

I saw the Best buy Black Friday add and it has a Harmony 650 for 49.99. Half off is pretty good. I plan on picking one up myself.

#168 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray /forum/post/19479522

Actually the MRXs do not have Analog DSP as a choice. All inputs are digitized since there are no analog inputs. Therefore ARC can do it's magic with all incoming signals.

John

John,

I missed this post earlier in the thread. I was under the impression that there are 7 Stereo Analog RCA Inputs with the MRX AVRs. So what you are saying is that none of them offer a true analog bypass and that all 7 are digitized? If that is true then I might have to reconsider the MRX 700 as a replacement for my 886

Bill

#169 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau /forum/post/19506588

Before trying to judge audio quality, I recommend you turn Dolby Volume OFF for any given Source.

--Bob

best advice here. when i first got it, i was listening to it with DV on and i thought i made a mistake. turned it off, and miraculously the amazing sonics that anthem is known for came shining through. i don't use DV for any sources as i find it will muck up something everytime.

#170 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac /forum/post/19509348

John,

I missed this post earlier in the thread. I was under the impression that there are 7 Stereo Analog RCA Inputs with the MRX AVRs. So what you are saying is that none of them offer a true analog bypass and that all 7 are digitized? If that is true then I might have to reconsider the MRX 700 as a replacement for my 886

Bill

Sorry for the confusion. Yes the receivers do have analog in but there is no pass through. This was done because analog direct would bypass any bass management or ARC. If you want ARC to make movies sound better then why would you not use it for 2ch music? ARC isn't a movie correction system, but a room correction system. Music is obviously in need of this assistance to. It doesn't matter to me what you buy but I do enjoy the excitement people exhibit when they finally test their system. Check out the other Anthem tweaking thread to see what users have said about Analog DSP for music.I have used this with both my AVM50 and D2v and frankly would never go back to analog direct. This is also the sentiment of anyone else who has been given a demo.

John

#171 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony A. /forum/post/19509460

best advice here. when i first got it, i was listening to it with DV on and i thought i made a mistake. turned it off, and miraculously the amazing sonics that anthem is known for came shining through. i don't use DV for any sources as i find it will muck up something everytime.

As advice goes, Bob's is the best

John

#172 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray /forum/post/19509681

Sorry for the confusion. Yes the receivers do have analog in but there is no pass through. This was done because analog direct would bypass any bass management or ARC. If you want ARC to make movies sound better then why would you not use it for 2ch music? ARC isn't a movie correction system, but a room correction system. Music is obviously in need of this assistance to. It doesn't matter to me what you buy but I do enjoy the excitement people exhibit when they finally test their system. Check out the other Anthem tweaking thread to see what users have said about Analog DSP for music.I have used this with both my AVM50 and D2v and frankly would never go back to analog direct. This is also the sentiment of anyone else who has been given a demo.

John

John,

No problem
. Thanks for explaining the configuration of the analog section of the MRXs. I had an Anthem AVM 30 and enjoyed the AnalogDSP mode very much. I was disappointed when I heard that the MRX 300/500/700 do not have a 7.1 analog input. But now knowing there is no analog bypass on the analog inputs it is not good news either
. Of course many might not mind this but at the cost of the MRX AVRs I think there should have been at least an option either way.

I understand Anthem's thought process on this. But I'm a little surprised that there is not at least an analog bypass option for those who do not wish to use ARC or any DSP processing at all for music.

Bill

#173 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill mac /forum/post/19509769

john,

no problem
. Thanks for explaining the configuration of the analog section of the mrxs. I had an anthem avm 30 and enjoyed the analogdsp mode very much. I was disappointed when i heard that the mrx 300/500/700 do not have a 7.1 analog input. But now knowing there is no analog bypass on the analog inputs it is not good news either
. Of course many might not mind this but at the cost of the mrx avrs i think there should have been at least an option either way.

I understand anthem's thought process on this. But i'm a little surprised that there is not at least an analog bypass option for those who do not wish to use arc or any dsp processing at all for music.

Bill

+1

#174 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic /forum/post/19509857

+1

Heffe,

I have the BDP-83SE as well

Bill

#175 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic /forum/post/19509857

+1

Bill and HeffeMusic,

I still don't understand why one would forgo ARC for music in any configuration. Nothing will sound better without ARC and that is the consensus of anyone who has reviewed Anthem preamps and run analog into them. Remember, great speakers in a bad room sound bad, while mediocre speakers in a good room, sound good. If you have never heard ARC then it seems premature to dismiss what I've suggested. Just because you have the BDP 83SE doesn't mean it will sound better by itself than it's analog with DSP and ARC.

John

#176 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray /forum/post/19510404

Bill and HeffeMusic,

I still don't understand why one would forgo ARC for music in any configuration. Nothing will sound better without ARC and that is the consensus of anyone who has reviewed Anthem preamps and run analog into them. Remember, great speakers in a bad room sound bad, while mediocre speakers in a good room, sound good. If you have never heard ARC then it seems premature to dismiss what I've suggested. Just because you have the BDP 83SE doesn't mean it will sound better by itself than it's analog with DSP and ARC.

John

John,

You are right in that I have not experienced ARC. But to say nothing will sound better without ARC is an awful bold statement to make
. I am not trying to be argumentive or slam Anthem in any way but for me it is about choices. With the MRX lineup I would have no choice to see if I would prefer using ARC or straight analog. The other factor is that the MRX 500/700 are not inexpensive AVRs and at the cost I would want certain features.

For me when I sat down to listen to music today with my Parasound 2100, BDP-83SE, BA A7200 and Salk SongTowers I was extremely happy with the SQ and simplicity of my system. It just really surprises me that Anthem did not offer an option of an analog bypass for the analog inputs. At least offer a 7.1 analog input on the MRX 700 but Anthem decided not to.

Bill

#177 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac /forum/post/19510535

John,

You are right in that I have not experienced ARC. But to say nothing will sound better without ARC is an awful bold statement to make
. I am not trying to be argumentive or slam Anthem in any way but for me it is about choices. With the MRX lineup I would have no choice to see if I would prefer using ARC or straight analog. The other factor is that the MRX 500/700 are not inexpensive AVRs and at the cost I would want certain features.

For me when I sat down to listen to music today with my Parasound 2100, BDP-83SE, BA A7200 and Salk SongTowers I was extremely happy with the SQ and simplicity of my system. It just really surprises me that Anthem did not offer an option of an analog bypass for the analog inputs. At least offer a 7.1 analog input on the MRX 700 but Anthem decided not to.

Bill

Bill,

I stand by my Bold statement
so we'll have to agree to disagree

John

#178 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray
Bill,

I stand by my Bold statement
so we'll have to agree to disagree

John
John,

I respect that. Not a problem as we all have different tastes in what we want or do not want in our systems. But I would still like to try ARC in my system one of these days

Bill

#179 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac
John,

I respect that. Not a problem as we all have different tastes in what we want or do not want in our systems. But I would still like to try ARC in my system one of these days

Bill
Bill,

Too bad you weren't closer, I could give you a good one

John

#180 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac
John,

Bill
I would presume that there would be a cost for having an analog bypass since you would still have switching and volume control at a minimum. I would guess that the added cost weighed against the number of lost sales due to not having this feature is where this feature got cut.

This issue existing is in part what makes this hobby fun. There are choices to satisfy most any taste.