Looking for a basic AV Receivers that handle video well - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-23-2010, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I'm about to buy an AV receiver and would like some help choosing. I have about $250 to spend and don't need (or expect) anything fancy. I would be using it almost exclusively for home theater. I have a Panny 46G10 plasma, LG blu ray player, Tivo, and an old VCR. I'm in a fairly small room, about 15 x 20.

So, which brands/models in my price range handle video & HDMI switching best?

Or, is my price range too low? is there some significant feature I'd be missing or significant difference in video quality in higher priced models? I've spent a wad already on the stuff that I have--I don't want to undermine the whole operation by skimping on the wrong receiver.

If I wait, I can spend a bit more (though, of course, I don't want to buy more than I really need).

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-23-2010, 08:56 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2160 Post(s)
Liked: 1786
You're better off just letting the Panny G10 do the upscaling/deinterlacing and focus on what audio features you want in an AVR. The lowest level Denon AVR with Audyssey MultEQ would be the 1611 which can be found just outside your budget at several authorized on-line resellers including Electronics Expo (although call them as they list MSRP on their website).

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 5 Old 11-24-2010, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

You're better off just letting the Panny G10 do the upscaling/deinterlacing and focus on what audio features you want in an AVR. The lowest level Denon AVR with Audyssey MultEQ would be the 1611 which can be found just outside your budget at several authorized on-line resellers including Electronics Expo (although call them as they list MSRP on their website).

Does that mean that I wouldn't run the TV, blu ray, & Tivo through the receiver? If that is the case, then I wouldn't have to worry about the video capabilities of said receiver, correct? If that is the case, then how would I set the whole thing up so the TV, blu ray, and Tivo sound is coming through the receiver?

Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving! I'm certainly grateful for the people on this forum!
post #4 of 5 Old 11-24-2010, 09:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 120
I run all video through my receiver for simplicity. You just don't need any fancy video processing, as it does not help much, IMO.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #5 of 5 Old 11-25-2010, 04:25 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2160 Post(s)
Liked: 1786
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesodtiferet View Post

Does that mean that I wouldn't run the TV, blu ray, & Tivo through the receiver? If that is the case, then I wouldn't have to worry about the video capabilities of said receiver, correct? If that is the case, then how would I set the whole thing up so the TV, blu ray, and Tivo sound is coming through the receiver?

As MJH notes, for switching purposes it's easier to route all inputs through the AVR (as long as there are no HDMI handshake issues). If the AVR has no video card, the signal will simply pass through. And if it does, but there is no improvement in video quality using it, there is usually a setting to turn it OFF.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page