Receiver to channel all inputs through to HDMI - AVS Forum
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Receiver to channel all inputs through to HDMI
Red-3's Avatar Red-3 02:15 PM 11-23-2010
Looking for a good value receiver ($500-$1500 range - $400-$600 street price) which can route all my video inputs (especially component 720p from my PVR) through to one HDMI out.
Used to have two HDMIs going to the PJ (one from PS3, one from PVR) but decided to run the HDMI out to a TV in another room and that leaves me with a 720p component out to go through to the PJ.
But I have a ceiling mounted PJ and the component leads are to thick to go through my conduit.
Ideally I want one HDMI going from the receiver to the PJ, and I'd like to do all A/V switching through the new receiver. Also there are odd times when I'll want to plug in an analog source like a PS2 or camcorder for old time's sake!

I read that the Onkyo SR-608 also has a VGA input which it will channel through to the HDMI out. Is that true? My laptop has only VGA out and this would be a useful bonus.

Do any other receivers have this feature?

What other receivers should I be looking at in this range?

thebard's Avatar thebard 02:54 AM 11-24-2010
Onkyo TX-NR708 or higher will also do what you want; the 708 is right in your price range... and has the vga in & lots of legacy inputs (2 component & 4 svid/composite). If you want to upconvert over component as well, you'll need to move up to the 808.

You might also look at the Denon 1911 or 2311, but I don't think they have as many connections (neither has pc in).
osofast240sx's Avatar osofast240sx 06:11 AM 11-24-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-3 View Post

Looking for a good value receiver ($500-$1500 range - $400-$600 street price) which can route all my video inputs (especially component 720p from my PVR) through to one HDMI out.
Used to have two HDMIs going to the PJ (one from PS3, one from PVR) but decided to run the HDMI out to a TV in another room and that leaves me with a 720p component out to go through to the PJ.
But I have a ceiling mounted PJ and the component leads are to thick to go through my conduit.
Ideally I want one HDMI going from the receiver to the PJ, and I'd like to do all A/V switching through the new receiver. Also there are odd times when I'll want to plug in an analog source like a PS2 or camcorder for old time's sake!

I read that the Onkyo SR-608 also has a VGA input which it will channel through to the HDMI out. Is that true? My laptop has only VGA out and this would be a useful bonus.

Do any other receivers have this feature?

What other receivers should I be looking at in this range?

look into the Anthem line
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1289533
Red-3's Avatar Red-3 08:31 AM 11-24-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post

Onkyo TX-NR708 or higher will also do what you want; the 708 is right in your price range... and has the vga in & lots of legacy inputs (2 component & 4 svid/composite). If you want to upconvert over component as well, you'll need to move up to the 808.

You might also look at the Denon 1911 or 2311, but I don't think they have as many connections (neither has pc in).

What's the difference between the Onkyo 608 & 708?
Assume from your statement about the 808 that they just pass the Component 720p signal through the HDMI, instead of upconverting it to 1080p? That's not a problem for me (unless the 808 can somehow magically resolve the gross compression artifacts I get with content from my cable provider!!!)

I've done a little more research.
I am quite comfortable with my old Yamaha in combination with my Energy speakers. (I've noticed that Yamaha receivers are often paired up with the Energy speakers by the dealers here in Canada.) I like the look of the HTR 6063. (The 5063 was OK, but for an extra $50 you get more inputs and dual zone.)

I think Onkyos are the only one in this range with VGA in. As you can see from my HT pics, my ceiling mounted PJ is within easy reach and so I could plug in my laptop directly to the PJ input if I had to (until I upgrade to a laptop with HDMI out).

I've not really looked at Denon in any detail - how do they compare to Yamaha and Onkyo?

(I've heard that the Onkyo can run really hot, and a bit quirky with the HDMI. Is this true of the 608/708 range? This is the main thing that's putting me off right now.)

Are any Sony high-current receivers worth looking at, or do Yamaha/Onkyo/Denon blow them out of the water?
thebard's Avatar thebard 12:25 PM 11-24-2010
Quote:
What's the difference between the Onkyo 608 & 708?
Here's a link from Onkyo's site that will let you compare the various models:

http://www.us.onkyo.com/prod_class.cfm?class=Receiver

The main difference is networking features, connectivity (phono in & multichannel in on the 708), listed 4-ohm support, a few other things.

Quote:
Assume from your statement about the 808 that they just pass the Component 720p signal through the HDMI, instead of upconverting it to 1080p? That's not a problem for me (unless the 808 can somehow magically resolve the gross compression artifacts I get with content from my cable provider!!!)
No, the 808 will take analog & digital inputs, and output them upconverted over hdmi out AND component out. The 708 will only upconvert over hdmi.

Quote:
I've not really looked at Denon in any detail - how do they compare to Yamaha and Onkyo?
I have no hands-on with the Denons, what I know is based on specs from their lit.

Quote:
(I've heard that the Onkyo can run really hot, and a bit quirky with the HDMI. Is this true of the 608/708 range? This is the main thing that's putting me off right now.)
I think this is somewhat anecdotal; may have been true of older models, but I have had no problems with my 708, it doesn't seem to run hot. Keep in mind that all amps/receivers should have at least a few inches "breathing room" around them.
Red-3's Avatar Red-3 04:42 PM 11-26-2010
Thanks for your responses.

I'm trying to decide between these models:
Yamaha HTR-6063
Onkyo TX SR-608
Harmon Kardon AVR 2600

I'm wondering whether to purchase a nearly new HK 2600 second hand from a local seller or to wait until the sales and hope that one of the other two come down in price. The Yamaha is currently on sale but with only 10% off retail, and I'm not sure what the Onkyo is selling for.
Red-3's Avatar Red-3 10:18 AM 11-28-2010
Quote:

Thanks for your responses.

I'm trying to decide between these models:
Yamaha HTR-6063
Onkyo TX SR-608
Harmon Kardon AVR 2600

I'm wondering whether to purchase a nearly new HK 2600 second hand from a local seller or to wait until the sales and hope that one of the other two come down in price. The Yamaha is currently on sale but with only 10% off retail, and I'm not sure what the Onkyo is selling for.

The 608 is above my price range, at US$599 retail. ($699 in Canada)
However, I was very happy to discover this model this weekend:
It's basically an Onkyo TX SR-608 without THX certification ( and no PC VGA input ) Just about every thing else on the model comparison chart matches up, but it has a much more value-oriented MSRP of US$500 ($599 in Canada):

Onkyo HT-RC260
7.2-Channel Home Theater Receiver
HDMI V1.4a repeater , 6in (1 front) / 1out
Support for 3D Video and Audio Return Channel
HDMI 1080p video upconversion by Faroudja DCDi cinema
WRAT technology and discrete amp construction for cleaner sound
TrueHD/DTS-HD decoding to support the latest Blu-ray technology
Optional UP-A1 iPod Dock and UP-HT1 HDradio module via proprietary U.Port
4 DSP Gaming Modes: Rock, Sports, Action, and Role Playing
Audyssey 2EQ w/ Dynamic EQ & Dynamic Volume

I picked one up at the weekend for 20% off retail.
throbinskin's Avatar throbinskin 07:37 PM 11-29-2010
Quote:

The 608 is above my price range, at US$599 retail. ($699 in Canada)
However, I was very happy to discover this model this weekend:
It's basically an Onkyo TX SR-608 without THX certification ( and no PC VGA input ) Just about every thing else on the model comparison chart matches up, but it has a much more value-oriented MSRP of US$500 ($599 in Canada):

I just bought the onkyo 608 for $299 at BB... It was on back order on the internet. So I went in person to see.... A girl looked it up on there computer and said there were 5 left at the warehouse and she could have for me in 5 days for $299.00 call BB and check it out. I got this price 7 days ago!
Red-3's Avatar Red-3 08:28 AM 12-01-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by throbinskin View Post

I just bought the onkyo 608 for $299 at BB... It was on back order on the internet. So I went in person to see.... A girl looked it up on there computer and said there were 5 left at the warehouse and she could have for me in 5 days for $299.00 call BB and check it out. I got this price 7 days ago!

Wow! Are you sure it's a 608? If so you reaped a rare bargain.

BestBuy US (bestbuy.com) is currently showing the 608 on sale and on backorder at $499 and the 308 at $299.

Unfortunately, I'm in Canada and BestBuy Canada shows the 608 on sale at CDN$649...
That's why a 260 at $499 seemed like a good deal to me!
(I tried ordering it for cheaper from Amazon.com but they wouldn't ship outside the US. And Amazon.ca doesn't carry it... )

You guys in the US seem to get some killer prices on all kinds of receivers!
throbinskin's Avatar throbinskin 07:09 PM 12-02-2010
Yes..... I looked at the box again and it is the 608.... she may have messed up but the receipt says 608 and the price shows 299. I went ahead and got their 3 year warranty too (just in-case)
Up
Mobile  Desktop