Emotiva: - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 63 Old 11-28-2010, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Fairly specific question. Have the issues surrounding the UMC-1 been resolved through Emotiva's firmware updates/ more recently manufactured units? I'd love nothing more than to pull the trigger on a UMC and one of their wonderful amplifiers, but I'm a tad concerned about the processor's history of malfunction and handshake issues.

Thoughts? I'm not opposed to going with an Emo-amp and different processor, just like the internet-direct model and would prefer to support them over a HUGE conglomerate.

--TDA

"The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners. Shoosh. I sure hope he makes the finals."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 Old 11-28-2010, 07:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 99
This has been discusse quite a bit. See the Emotiva thread.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #3 of 63 Old 11-28-2010, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

I attempted to find a thread with this question in mind, but there are so many Emotiva threads between speakers, amps, stereo pre-amps, subs, and their different processors... do you have a specific thread in mind? I hate to post a redundant question, but I did look quite a bit for a specific answer... it would appear I missed something

"The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners. Shoosh. I sure hope he makes the finals."
post #4 of 63 Old 11-28-2010, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The UMC is a great product, it's also not for everyone.I would only recommend it to those with long history/knowledge of audio gear.Also it's a music first prepro, if HT is your main thing buy any avr $500 msrp and up.I've had my UMC since the first few released and it's been great with no more issues than other hdmi units I own of the same model timing.Good luck.
post #5 of 63 Old 11-28-2010, 08:53 AM

Liked: 12
I purchased a UMC-1 last month but ended up sending it back for a refund. It was still too buggy for my tastes, specifically the HDMI implementation. It would take about 20-30 seconds to get audio and video when turning it on or changing sources. No matter what video resolution settings I picked, it kept changing to 'Auto' and would have to go through 20-30 seconds of handshaking. I also encountered an audio problem where the sound would randomly drop to a very low volume and be garbled sounding.

Sometimes the unit would also not turn completely off and leave my amp powered on, but I believe this was addressed with a firmware update.

For the money I think you'd be better off just getting a decent AVR. It will most likely have less bugs and more features. For home theater use, the UMC-1 should probably be avoided.
post #6 of 63 Old 11-28-2010, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, but bummer for Emotiva. I know they've put a lot of work into development, not to mention bug-correction. It seems like a fantastic company, though I suppose there are trade-offs with every marketing/ development strategy.

I will keep looking for the main UMC-1 posting in here, but your reports are pretty consistent with what I have read to date. I'll probably end-up going with an older model Anthem (30 or 50 processor) and an outboard amp with the new Oppo DVD player for hi-rez audio processing through analog outputs...

I know there's a new Emotiva processor coming out, but it's more expensive than the UMC-1 (perhaps they're attempting to recoup cost... I don't know, it is a business after all) and with the problems the current model is having, I'd want to wait several months on the newest version, so that'd put me out a year or so further down the line. Bummer.

Anyhow, thanks for the response Any recommendations on a stand-alone AVR? I had been considering the Yamaha 2000, Marantz 7---, Pioneer Elite 25/27 (I know this is a different amp section entirely), or integra 9.8/9.9...

--TDA

post #7 of 63 Old 11-28-2010, 09:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post

I attempted to find a thread with this question in mind, but there are so many Emotiva threads between speakers, amps, stereo pre-amps, subs, and their different processors... do you have a specific thread in mind? I hate to post a redundant question, but I did look quite a bit for a specific answer... it would appear I missed something

The Emotiva tech thread. Been discussed at least 3 times in the past months. It's all explained there.

post #8 of 63 Old 11-28-2010, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Copy that--will sort through the post!

post #9 of 63 Old 11-28-2010, 12:16 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post

Copy that--will sort through the post!

The unit for all intents and purposes sucks. It's full of bugs and it seems to be a crap shoot if your unit will be something you can at least "live with" rather than the expectation that comes with most "new" products that it should be a fully functional, relatively bug free unit. It does not take a lot of common sense to see that one should stay far away from this unit.

That is unless you prefer to pay to be a guinea pig for a unit full of problems which are currently being "worked out".
post #10 of 63 Old 11-28-2010, 01:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I wouldn't buy one. But is it really as bad as all that?

post #11 of 63 Old 11-28-2010, 06:54 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddelts View Post

The unit for all intents and purposes sucks. It's full of bugs and it seems to be a crap shoot rather your unit will be something you can at least "live with" rather than the expectation that comes with most "new" products that it should be a fully functional, relatively bug free unit. It does not take a lot of common sense to see that one should stay far away from this unit.

That is unless you prefer to pay to be a guinea pig for a unit full of problems which are currently being "worked out".

Uh... not so fast. No offense, but I would suggest at least brushing up on your facts before making such a blatantly incorrect statement. It sounds like you either don't own the unit or haven't followed the progress of the unit (or both). Maybe you don't care to (and that's alright too), but don't shy someone away from a product that may just work for him based on old facts or opinions.

To the OP - don't bother trying to gather much truly useful information here as to the current state of affairs of the UMC-1. Emotiva has made a LOT of progress ridding the bugs that these guys are still referring to. Firmware version 7.02, which was released months ago, has placed the unit in "prime time" status. Are there still issues for some? Yes, but mostly for those with antiquated or neglected cable STBs. For the rest of us, not so much. Mine works just fine.

Shortly, Emotiva will be releasing yet another update (v7.02.05) which will again tighten up any remaining issues and, as reported by field testers (yes field testers), it's a remarkable improvement even over v7.02. Supposedly, it tightens up HDMI audio/video lock times and even expands upon the already outstanding sonic qualities that have been there from the beginning.

If I were you, and truly wanted to "audition" the UMC-1, I would wait until v7.02.05 went live, then order the unit and request that the v7.02.05 firmware get pre-installed prior to shipping (they probably would anyway, but I'd still request it). Try the unit in you own set-up. With a 30 day unconditional, no questions asked return policy (return shipping is even picked-up by Emotive within the U.S.), what do you have to lose except your time and effort?

I will state for the record though, their documentation leaves a lot to be desired, but their customer and technical support is top notch (as long as you pick up the telephone and call.) There are also plenty of knowledgeable people on the Emotiva forum that are there to help. The UMC-1 can be complicated to the novice user, but once set up (and you understand it), it's sweet.

Just sayin'.....
post #12 of 63 Old 11-28-2010, 07:03 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC1963 View Post

Uh... not so fast. No offense, but I would suggest at least brushing up on your facts before making such a blatantly incorrect statement. It sounds like you either don't own the unit or haven't followed the progress of the unit (or both). Maybe you don't care to (and that's alright too), but don't shy someone away from a product that may just work for him based on old facts or opinions.

To the OP - don't bother trying to gather much truly useful information here as to the current state of affairs of the UMC-1. Emotiva has made a LOT of progress ridding the bugs that these guys are still referring to. Firmware version 7.02, which was released months ago, has placed the unit in "prime time" status. Are there still issues for some? Yes, but mostly for those with antiquated or neglected cable STBs. For the rest of us, not so much. Mine works just fine.

Shortly, Emotiva will be releasing yet another update (v7.02.05) which will again tighten up any remaining issues and, as reported by field testers (yes field testers), it's a remarkable improvement even over v7.02. Supposedly, it tightens up HDMI audio/video lock times and even expands upon the already outstanding sonic qualities that have been there from the beginning.

If I were you, and truly wanted to "audition" the UMC-1, I would wait until v7.02.05 went live, then order the unit and request that the v7.02.05 firmware get pre-installed prior to shipping (they probably would anyway, but I'd still request it). Try the unit in you own set-up. With a 30 day unconditional, no questions asked return policy (return shipping is even picked-up by Emotive within the U.S.), what do you have to lose except your time and effort?

I will state for the record though, their documentation leaves a lot to be desired, but their customer and technical support is top notch (as long as you pick up the telephone and call.) There are also plenty of knowledgeable people on the Emotiva forum that are there to help. The UMC-1 can be complicated to the novice user, but once set up (and you understand it), it's sweet.

Just sayin'.....

No offense......but I guess there is nothing wrong with suggesting a buggy pre-pro with more firmware updates than you shake a stick at. Along with the fact that their are Leggo user manuals which contain more useful information than the one that goes out with these units.

And couple this with the fact that there are AVR's that can make better pre-pro's for less than or equal to this price range.

Just Sayin.
post #13 of 63 Old 11-28-2010, 07:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 423
I had the UMC-1 for a short while and returned as I decided to stay with my 886. There is a new FW coming out that was mentioned earlier that does look promising. The one concern I would have is the difficulty that many UMC-1 owners seem to have when updating the FW. I thought about picking up a used UMC-1 at a great price but the FW update process is not for a computer challenged person like myself.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #14 of 63 Old 11-28-2010, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
The unit is full of bugs. I returned one. My friend and his wife are complaining about it when in use. Every week there is something new. His remote stopped working. I told him to return it but he didn't listen. He can't now, so I have to hear his buggy stories.
post #15 of 63 Old 11-28-2010, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

You can get this information from reading about the UMC 1. Is this the biggest joke? I will not pay $100.00 the buggy.

"Re: Real price of the UMC-1

UMC-1 through high end B&M shops ----- $2695

UMC-1 through factory authorized online dealer ----- $2695

UMC-1 through non-authorized online dealer ----- $2249

Add shipping and tax as applicable"
post #16 of 63 Old 11-28-2010, 08:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

You can get this information from reading about the UMC 1. Is this the biggest joke? I will not pay $100.00 the buggy.

Huh? It's like $700 or thereabouts direct from emotiva.com.

post #17 of 63 Old 11-28-2010, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

Huh? It's like $700 or thereabouts direct from emotiva.com.

They were talking about real value.
post #18 of 63 Old 11-28-2010, 08:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well hey, if I can get 2k for it, I can make a lot of money by buying low, and selling high.

Which makes me think...I need to find some old receiver model, and figure out how to write some sort of article on it, praising how it's sound was as good as models costing 10 times as much, and how the company making it realized they messed up and made it too good, and that was the last model like it.

Like how the Roland bass machine, or drum machines from back in the day suddenly became so popular years after, and became valuable.

Then I will sell them.

post #19 of 63 Old 11-28-2010, 08:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

For someone to post the above anywhere is not how should I put it........ in touch with reality. To say that the UMC-1 is worth over $2K anywhere is not thinking clearly IMO. That would be saying that the UMC-1 is comparable to the Onkyo 5508, Integra 80.2, Marantz 8003 and 7005 which it is clearly not IMO. The UMC-1 is a great prepro for $700 but not at over $2K.

Maybe this person is thinking of the Sherbourn PT-7020A that is basically a UMC-1 with balanced outputs. If someone buys the PT-7020A without doing their homework then shame on them. From the little I have read about the PT-7020A it is also having many of the same issues the UMC-1 is having.

http://www.sherbourn.com/home-theate...bourn-pt-7020a

This link has some interesting thoughts on the comparsion between the PT-7020A and the UMC-1.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/p...sor-first-look

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #20 of 63 Old 11-29-2010, 03:41 AM

Quote:

The unit is full of bugs. I returned one. My friend and his wife are complaining about it when in use. Every week there is something new. His remote stopped working. I told him to return it but he didn't listen. He can't now, so I have to hear his buggy stories.

Your issues with the UMC-1 are well documented both here and on the Emotiva Lounge. Again, your experiences were prior to the v7.02 firmware.

Has your friend attempted to update the firmware? You do have to do that occasionally (as you well know). If the firmware "was" updated, there was two versions of the code, one woulld render the original (plastic) remote useless. Emotiva replaced the original remote with an updated "metal" remote. All you have to do is call.....

All that I am saying to any of you is that if you were a user of the product PRIOR to firmware v7.02, yes the unit was very buggy. However, v7.02 fixed a lot of that. v7.02.05 looks to fix what remains and go beyond. If you've NEVER used the product, well...... I'll just leave it at that.
post #21 of 63 Old 11-29-2010, 03:47 AM

Quote:

I know the thread that you are referring to. You're blowing it way out of context.

The OP was just making a hypothesis, or correlation, as to what the price would be if the unit were sold through a distribution chain or a re-badge (like what was so well documented in regards to the Oppo BDP-83).
post #22 of 63 Old 11-29-2010, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddelts View Post

No offense......but I guess there is nothing wrong with suggesting a buggy pre-pro with more firmware updates than you shake a stick at. Along with the fact that their are Leggo user manuals which contain more useful information than the one that goes out with these units.

And couple this with the fact that their are AVR's that can make better pre-pro's for less than or equal to this price range.

Just Sayin.

Firmware updates are a part of life in this world of consumer electronics thanks to both HDMI and HDCP. And yes, along with those come bug fixes, but at least bugs ARE fixed and "we" can perform the updates. If you don't want to do them, then no, don't buy the product and stay away from Blu Ray players when you don't have access to the internet.

As far as AVRs making better pre-pros, that's simply a matter of opinion. IMO, an AVR couldn't make a better pre-pro than a dedicated processor. Most (with the exception of the newest "network enabled" models) must be taken to the nearest authorized repair facility to be updated. There are trade offs in everything..... My old Onkyo 805 needed both a DSP update to fix the "DTS bomb" (talk about a funky way to perform an update) and a firmware update to fix audio lock. The firmware update never happened for obvious reasons.....

The owner's manual..... yes, it's not the best. However it's not as bad as you would lead to believe.
post #23 of 63 Old 11-29-2010, 08:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

[quote=DOC1963;19561507]
Quote:
Firmware updates are a part of life in this world of consumer electronics thanks to both HDMI and HDCP. And yes, along with those come bug fixes, but at least bugs ARE fixed and "we" can perform the updates. If you don't want to do them, then no, don't buy the product and stay away from Blu Ray players when you don't have access to the internet.

I agree that FW updates are part of owning todays A/V components. But the issue for me is how easy it is to do those updates. I have done FW updates to several Onkyo AVR/prepros, HD DVD and Bluray players. All of these updates were successful without having one issue or having to do them multiple times for them to load properly.

Quote:
As far as AVRs making better pre-pros, that's simply a matter of opinion. IMO, an AVR couldn't make a better pre-pro than a dedicated processor. Most (with the exception of the newest "network enabled" models) must be taken to the nearest authorized repair facility to be updated. There are trade offs in everything..... My old Onkyo 805 needed both a DSP update to fix the "DTS bomb" (talk about a funky way to perform an update) and a firmware update to fix audio lock. The firmware update never happened for obvious reasons.....

I would totally disagree with this as AVRs make fine prepros IMO. I guess you have not read much on the latest AVRs from Anthem, Denon, Integra, Marantz and Onkyo that all have the capabilities to have their FWs update via the internet. I was able to update both the DSP version and the FW of my Onkyo 805 as it had the correct loader. Both updates went well with the help of fellow members here. I updated the FW of both my Onkyo 885 and 886 without issue as well due to the FW updates being posted here on AVS. Older prepros that were not network enabled also have FW update issues as older AVRs so that argument is not a good one IMO.

Other than the FW update discussion why do you believe an AVR "couldn't" make a good prepro?

Quote:
The owner's manual..... yes, it's not the best. However it's not as bad as you would lead to believe.

The UMC-1's manual has been updated since I owned the UMC-1 but it still is lacking in certain areas.

Bill

post #24 of 63 Old 11-29-2010, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Emotiva makes excellent amps, but I haven't seen a processor I liked yet; too buggy for my taste.
post #25 of 63 Old 11-29-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I would totally disagree with this as AVRs make fine prepros IMO. I guess you have not read much on the latest AVRs from Anthem, Denon, Integra, Marantz and Onkyo that all have the capabilities to have their FWs update via the internet. I was able to update both the DSP version and the FW of my Onkyo 805 as it had the correct loader. Both updates went well with the help of fellow members here. I updated the FW of both my Onkyo 885 and 886 without issue as well due to the FW updates being posted here on AVS. Older prepros that were not network enabled also have FW update issues as older AVRs so that argument is not a good one IMO.

Actually, I have read about the latest AVRs. That's why I clearly stated "with the exception of the newest "network enabled" models".

I've owned the 805 and performed the DSP update, but could not do the firmware. Onkyo insisted that I take it to a repair facility. You were fortunate that your 805 had the correct loader. Mine did not. Earlier production run I suppose. As for your 885 and 886, as you stated, you obtained the firmware here. Was it readily available from Onkyo for user installation?

My only point is that firmware updates, although necessary, are not always easy to perform. The UMC-1 is not easy, but is not the worst that I have dealt with.

Quote:

Other than the FW update discussion why do you believe an AVR "couldn't" make a good prepro?

That's not what I said. What I said was that IMO, they wouldn't make "BETTER" prepros than a dedicated processor.

IMO, a product is a good as the sum of its parts at a given price point. An AVR must factor in the amplifier stages which adds to the bottom line cost. A dedicated processor, at the same price point, may better utilize the development costs elsewhere such as upgraded DACs, ADCs, video processing and/or analog output stages. If my intended purpose is a processor, that's what I would rather focus on, but that's just me. However, I do respect your opinion.

I've owned and used AVRs as prepros. I've previously used, obviously, the 805 and Marantz SR-5004. For HT, the Onkyo was fine, but I didn't like the 2ch performance. The Marantz was a good sounding product all around, but lacked the processing power to overlay Audyssey EQs over DTS-MA or Dolby TruHD (although, not a big deal as I'm not a big fan of digital room correction whether it be Audyssey or EmoQ).

But in my situation, none of what I've owned previously (Onkyo 805, Marantz SR-5004, Outlaw 990, Outlaw 950 and so on.......) possessed the absolute sonic quality of the UMC-1. It's a great sounding unit..... period. I don't recall anyone, here or elsewhere, citing the contrary. Yes, it has had bugs (I certainly don't deny that) and a few still remain, but Emotiva is certainly working them out.

As with anything else, YMMV. If you're happy with what you have and it works for you, that's all that matters at the end of the day. I'd never deny anyone of that.

Quote:

The UMC-1's manual has been updated since I owned the UMC-1 but it still is lacking in certain areas.

Agree 100%. That's still a work in progress too.
post #26 of 63 Old 11-29-2010, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I'd rather run an 1120k as a pre-amp and save some $$
post #27 of 63 Old 11-29-2010, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 83
There is already a thread dedicated to this processor. I'm not a moderator by any means but it is tiring that this question and all of its debates are started over and over again. The thread for that thing is bloated enough without starting more about it. To the OP you should be asking this question in that thread. Arguments will be starting all over again about what it is capable and incapable of doing.
post #28 of 63 Old 11-29-2010, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC1963 View Post

Your issues with the UMC-1 are well documented both here and on the Emotiva Lounge. Again, your experiences were prior to the v7.02 firmware.

Has your friend attempted to update the firmware? You do have to do that occasionally (as you well know). If the firmware "was" updated, there was two versions of the code, one woulld render the original (plastic) remote useless. Emotiva replaced the original remote with an updated "metal" remote. All you have to do is call.....

All that I am saying to any of you is that if you were a user of the product PRIOR to firmware v7.02, yes the unit was very buggy. However, v7.02 fixed a lot of that. v7.02.05 looks to fix what remains and go beyond. If you've NEVER used the product, well...... I'll just leave it at that.

My friend can't download the FW now. I got a new computer with window 7. Explain why? Unless, it's buggy. Lonnie is just trying to "get it right". He has been saying that from day one. Try reading his posts.
post #29 of 63 Old 11-29-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
My friend can't download the FW now. I got a new computer with window 7. Explain why? Unless, it's buggy. Lonnie is just trying to "get it right". He has been saying that from day one. Try reading his posts.
I wish I could explain it. Sorry that I cannot. I also cannot explain why some people have problems and some (including myself) do not.... hardware issues, USB drivers, user error..... who knows.

What I do know is that if you simply CALL Emotiva, they can help you. I have spoken to both Lonnie and Nick. They are not the elusive men behind the curtain and are more than willing to help you.

BTW, I have followed Lonnie's posts. He has done what he has said he would do, but it has taken a while.....
post #30 of 63 Old 11-29-2010, 03:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

[quote=DOC1963;19564463]I've owned the 805 and performed the DSP update, but could not do the firmware. Onkyo insisted that I take it to a repair facility. You were fortunate that your 805 had the correct loader. Mine did not. Earlier production run I suppose.

I was lucky in that the 805 I bought was from the end of the 805's product run. So yours must have been an earlier production unit.

Quote:
As for your 885 and 886, as you stated, you obtained the firmware here. Was it readily available from Onkyo for user installation?
I do not believe Onkyo publicly released the FW updates for the 885 or the 886.

Quote:
My only point is that firmware updates, although necessary, are not always easy to perform. The UMC-1 is not easy, but is not the worst that I have dealt with.
I never did upgrade the FW on the UMC-1 I had as I returned it before any updates were available. The question I have is with the UMC-1 being a fairly recent design why is it so difficult to do FW updates?

Quote:
That's not what I said. What I said was that IMO, they wouldn't make "BETTER" prepros than a dedicated processor.
My mistake I misinterpreted your post.

Quote:
IMO, a product is a good as the sum of its parts at a given price point. An AVR must factor in the amplifier stages which adds to the bottom line cost. A dedicated processor, at the same price point, may better utilize the development costs elsewhere such as upgraded DACs, ADCs, video processing and/or analog output stages. If my intended purpose is a processor, that's what I would rather focus on, but that's just me. However, I do respect your opinion.
I do agree that some prepros do have better components depending on the cost. I went from the 805 which I was using as a prepro to the 885. I noticed absolutely no difference in SQ whether it was listening to music or movies. The same can be said for the 886 when compared to the 876/906. I would also be willing to bet there would be no audible SQ difference between the Marantz SR-7005 and the AV-7005.

My point being that AVRs made by companies that also make comparably priced prepros will most likely sound identical. So even though AVRs will of course have an amp section it does not mean they will not make very good prepros. Just look at Anthem's MRX line of AVRs with ARC which I would believe would out perform many comparably priced prepros.

Quote:
I've owned and used AVRs as prepros. I've previously used, obviously, the 805 and Marantz SR-5004. For HT, the Onkyo was fine, but I didn't like the 2ch performance. The Marantz was a good sounding product all around, but lacked the processing power to overlay Audyssey EQs over DTS-MA or Dolby TruHD (although, not a big deal as I'm not a big fan of digital room correction whether it be Audyssey or EmoQ).
I agree in that the Onkyo's are not known for their 2CH performance. Although I was surprised when I listened to some music recently using the R&L outputs of the 7.1 analog output of my Oppo 83SE to the R&L 7.1 analog input of my 886 (in Pure mode). It sounded very good and compared very closely to my Parasound 2100.

Quote:
But in my situation, none of what I've owned previously (Onkyo 805, Marantz SR-5004, Outlaw 990, Outlaw 950 and so on.......) possessed the absolute sonic quality of the UMC-1. It's a great sounding unit..... period. I don't recall anyone, here or elsewhere, citing the contrary. Yes, it has had bugs (I certainly don't deny that) and a few still remain, but Emotiva is certainly working them out.
I agree that the UMC-1 has excellent 2CH music SQ. But for movies I did not find it was any better than my 886. In my room Audyssey works well and with the fact that Emo-Q was not working well when I had the UMC-1 made the performance of the 886 even better. The bottom line for me is that the UMC-1 is a prepro and not a preamp. The added benefit of excellent 2CH SQ with the UMC-1 is great but for me a prepro should also have good video processing and a fully functional room correction system. The UMC-1 is lacking in both those areas.

Quote:
As with anything else, YMMV. If you're happy with what you have and it works for you, that's all that matters at the end of the day. I'd never deny anyone of that.
This is very true. If you are happy with the UMC-1 that is great as it is a very good prepro especially at its price point.

Quote:
Agree 100%. That's still a work in progress too.
Hopefully Emotiva will improve the UMC-1's manual but they do not have a good history of producing good manuals for their prepros.

Bill

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page