Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #241 of 246 Old 09-03-2014, 10:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I know what I am hearing, but I don't understand it. Can someone please explain?
+++
Referencing Mr. M Code, Post #5 in this Amp FAQ thread
+++

AVR: Onkyo TX NR-717 125wpc 2 channels driven. I am driving 5.0 speakers, so 125/5 = 25 wpc, approximately.

Speakers: The 5.0 system is mismatched with speakers, but has a pair of huge Klipsch CF-4 (two 12" woofs, one 12" horn) for L/R. Center is a Dayton Audio MTM with 7" Usher mid/bass drivers and an Usher 1" dome tweeter. The surrounds are Bose 301 II's, with 8" woofs. Don't laugh, it really sounds pretty good.

The Onk Audyssey matches them up pretty well, and relative to reference, Audyssey sets the Klipsch at -5, the center at +4, and the Bose 301 at +3. At reference which is 82 on the 717, with 5.0 driven it plays as loud as I can stand it. My math says that 25wpc is driving each speaker pair, and seems to do the job quite well; it can rattle the pictures right off the wall, with chest thumping mid-bass. The sound quality is great, at all SPL levels.

What I don't understand is if I put the Onk into "All Speakers Stereo" it gets REALLY loud, maybe "punchy" is a better word. When I set the Onk to "Stereo Only" where it drives only the CF-4, it does not seem to be as loud, and usually doesn't sound as good as "All Speakers Stereo." My logic says that putting the full 125wpc into the CF-4 ought to be magnificent and sound better than everything else, but it isn't, it just sounds really good.

Granted, that I don't push anything to its full upper SPL limits, and 86 on the dial is as far as I push the Onk. Feel free to point out flaws in my logic, perceptions, or math.

Explanations?

Symmetry pleases the eye, but it usually offends the ears where low frequencies are concerned. -Yoda Fitzmaurice

Last edited by wvu80; 09-03-2014 at 10:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 246 Old 09-03-2014, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I have used 5 or 7 channel stereo. There's variables using that to consider. For example, I have a speaker almost right next to my left ear due to my setup. Sure, all the channels have been balanced, but it takes very little power for that one speaker to play loud. Then you 5 speakers adding their output to the overall volume. Thinking about it, it may take less power for a given overall SPL with the 5 channel "stereo" than with the usual layout.

Also, with sound coming from every direction and room reinforcement of the sound you have complex acoustics. Apparently it sounds better to you that way.

That's my thinking, nothing mysterious there I think. I do recall having a 600 series Yamaha 10+ years ago that had better sounding 5 channel stereo than it's replacement. NO clue how that could be. Too many variables

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #243 of 246 Old 09-18-2014, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Post typo

Interesting writeup. If I can help proof though, I was confused by the writer's mixing of the word "its" and "it's". This issue was on and off, but made some sentences sound funny and others completely incomprehensible. For example, "There's two ways to damage a speaker - exceeding it is mechanical limits, or exceeding it is thermal limits." should have read, "There's two ways to damage a speaker - exceeding its mechanical limits or exceeding its thermal limits.". "That is it is supply voltage" should have been written, "That is its supply voltage". "As such it is relation to reality is limited." would have made more sense if it were printed, "As such, its relation to reality is limited.". And so on and so fourth...
post #244 of 246 Old 09-18-2014, 05:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 871
It's a tech forum, not an English forum. You could probably spend the rest of your life nitpicking the English in AVS if you'd like.
Cravit8 likes this.
post #245 of 246 Old 09-18-2014, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I admit I make that mistake. I have tried to fix the mistakes when I see them

post #246 of 246 Old 09-18-2014, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel 2012 View Post
Interesting writeup. If I can help proof though, I was confused by the writer's mixing of the word "its" and "it's". This issue was on and off, but made some sentences sound funny and others completely incomprehensible. For example, "There's two ways to damage a speaker - exceeding it is mechanical limits, or exceeding it is thermal limits." should have read, "There's two ways to damage a speaker - exceeding its mechanical limits or exceeding its thermal limits.". "That is it is supply voltage" should have been written, "That is its supply voltage". "As such it is relation to reality is limited." would have made more sense if it were printed, "As such, its relation to reality is limited.". And so on and so fourth...
Isn't it usually 'And so forth' ? I see a number of mistakes in your post actually

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page