Denon Airplay up Grade for 3808? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 12-02-2010, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone know if the 3808ci will be able to the the Airplay upgrade. Could find any models if will be available for.

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-02-2010, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloeza View Post

Anyone know if the 3808ci will be able to the the Airplay upgrade. Could find any models if will be available for.

No, only the 2011 networked models (991, 3311, 4311, etc).
post #3 of 17 Old 12-03-2010, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 39
post #4 of 17 Old 01-12-2011, 07:05 AM

Is this still true? If so, why can't the 3808 get the upgrade? Anyone know?
post #5 of 17 Old 01-12-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post

No, only the 2011 networked models (991, 3311, 4311, etc).

Isn't 3808ci considered networked model? I thought it was, i have it working that way over my LAN.

So, the question would be "What other hardware does it involve to get Airplay?"
post #6 of 17 Old 01-12-2011, 09:48 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked: 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewCJohnston View Post

Is this still true? If so, why can't the 3808 get the upgrade? Anyone know?

Yes, it's still true, only the HDMI 1.4 networking models will be able to install the upgrade;however, as it will not pass video, the better option is to purchase an Apple TV ($99).

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #7 of 17 Old 01-12-2011, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I agree, that purchasing Apple TV is a better way to go. Denon does not get networking right.

Lifes a beach and then you die....
post #8 of 17 Old 12-09-2012, 04:03 AM

That's just a lot of ********. Denon is ripping old cutomers of. AVR 3808ci IS concidered to be a network reciever. I don't need video, just audo will do fine.
post #9 of 17 Old 12-09-2012, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven Pernils View Post

That's just a lot of ********. Denon is ripping old cutomers of. AVR 3808ci IS concidered to be a network reciever. I don't need video, just audo will do fine.

You can be upset but trust us the airplay support in most if not all audio products are less than perfect. Most are made (including denon and marantz) bij BridgeCo now sold to SMSC and that probably delays new versions of the boards/designs (me guessing).

Personally i do think you have a point that some of the bigger players (like D&M) should design and build their own streaming/network solutions if they want to survive. But in the case of apple even that is tricky since airplay is a moving target all insiders know that apple has plans with it, its evolving from audio to video to apps to multi room/control in fact many feel its their trojan horse attack onto the living room so don't expect them to show other brands what is coming.

In the end the best and cheapest way to get good airplay support is to buy a AppleTV. use one of their iOS devices to control it and wait to see what is next.

Daniel.

PS: if you are upset with a 3808, i own a AVP-A1HDCI-3D just did a $1200 update for it and also no airplay for us. But i have 4 AppleTV's and use a mac mini as a my main streaming setup.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
post #10 of 17 Old 12-09-2012, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I am upset over the Apple centricity of Denon. I have no desire to buy an Apple TV and iOS device as I already have a Roku and Android phone. I have my PC hooked up to the processor with HDMI too.
post #11 of 17 Old 12-09-2012, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

I am upset over the Apple centricity of Denon. I have no desire to buy an Apple TV and iOS device as I already have a Roku and Android phone. I have my PC hooked up to the processor with HDMI too.

Well they also support DLNA we can't blame Apple for the other brands not building things that work as easy. Google just announced support for a new standard that they feel that can compete. If you go for a 'attached' device using hdmi the good news is that also android has many remote apps to handle that. for my work i need to test both iOS and Android stuff so i use both but the reason airplay is winning is because it works for most people not just technical people.

Daniel.

post #12 of 17 Old 12-09-2012, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

It will be good if Android comes out with an equivalent to Airplay. I will use DLNA as I have with my Onkyo 5508. I listen to .flac mostly so Apple isn't even an option. The D+M android app and third party Android ones are inferior to those available for Apple. I'm also frustrated over Windows 8 which I don't plan on installing. I would move to an Apple Mini before I'd adopt Windows 8. If I want a tablet it'll be either Android or Apple, but with Apple it again is mostly proprietary so that seems to rule them out. Sorry about the rant.
post #13 of 17 Old 12-09-2012, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

It will be good if Android comes out with an equivalent to Airplay. I will use DLNA as I have with my Onkyo 5508. I listen to .flac mostly so Apple isn't even an option. I'm also frustrated over Windows 8 which I don't plan on installing. I would move to an Apple Mini before I'd adopt Windows 8. If I want a tablet it'll be either Android or Apple, but with Apple it again is mostly proprietary so that seems to rule them out. Sorry about the rant.

Flac is not a problem for a mac and does even work over airplay if you send lossless audio as a result.

I can understand the point about proprietary things apple does but its a fine line between that and creating something that in real life gives you more not less options.

For all the screaming other brands/open people do the end result is that if i go into a shop i have more options for hooking up docks, speakers, streaming for apple closed connectors and protocols than the open universe combined. Again the failure of them against the 30pins connector, lightning connector or airplay is all about them not organising in a way that would force apple to follow. Apple is simple they go for something that works for them and their users and i agree fully with them not wanting to support DLNA years ago since well it was ill defined and even in 2012 doesn't work as easy as the first version of airplay apple released what 5 years ago ?

Daniel.

post #14 of 17 Old 12-09-2012, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Your correct of course. Hopefully there will be better apps for Android, sooner rather than later. Also the app Denon has now is only for the "13" series. I've been told that Android "lags" but that hasn't been a problem with my Android Galaxy Nexus.
post #15 of 17 Old 12-09-2012, 07:25 AM
585-645-1006

Here's a newer Android app if not already tried.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.compute4you.remotecontrol

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #16 of 17 Old 12-09-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Thank you. I've still not setup my Denon. Been playing with the remote that comes with it though. It seems a lot less capable than the one for my Onkyo so I will be in the market for a third party remote. I don't want a Harmony so any suggestions other than that are welcome.
post #17 of 17 Old 12-09-2012, 08:08 AM
585-645-1006

The Harmony One is likely the most often recommended 3rd party remote in the Denon threads. You may want to check at RemoteCentral or ask in the 4311CI Owner's thread as several owners use other type universal remotes besides Harmony.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page