dm
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

You have a rack of amps plugged into a power conditioner? Sure it's rated for for all those amps?

The AC-3 is just a relay controlled on/off switch, no power conditioning. I happen to have two of the AC-3's in my setup. One drivecore amp plugged into each. So I don't think I am overloading the rating of the switch. I use the drivecore amps to power my butt kicker's and subwoofers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 89 Old 04-01-2012, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Any luck with level matching?

McIntosh Labs! What am I listening to?
post #63 of 89 Old 02-12-2013, 02:19 PM

Liked: 10
Hi, I think I have solved many of the issues raised on this thread. Please read my review (Being Helpful) on Amazon under Crown XLS 2000 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Crown-XLS2000-Amplifier-integrated-Crossover/dp/B003HZPKXC/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1360707481&sr=1-3&keywords=power+amplifier

Thank you and if you like it, please rate it. Thanks and good bye.
post #64 of 89 Old 02-12-2013, 02:28 PM

5.0 out of 5 stars THE MOST AMAZING AWESOME POWER AMPS I'VE HEARD!!!
CROWN XLS 2000

I have been an audiophile since I first listened to my Dad's Fisher tube amplifier and Bozak speaker (about the size of the Altec Lancing voice of the theater). In short the early 60's. I still go to High End appointment only stores and audition ridiculously expensive equipment amps etc. You get the idea. All I can say is, I have never ever heard any amp that sounds this good, certainly not for very conservatively ten times the price or more. The sound difference is just profound. I'm running two CROWN XLS 2000'S right now in bridged mode yielding about 1650 watts RMS @ 6 OHMS EACH into Newform Research R-45s along with a HSU subwoofer which plays 16 HZ effortlessly. I may add some TEKTON speakers some day. This ain't your Dad's Class AB amp, Class A amp, or Tube Amp. This is better. I discovered this Crown Drivecore series amp from the managing editor of home theater review. They have now become his reference amps for good reason. He has a blog on a forum I don't think they will let me link here, called the Crown XLS Drivecore the official thread. He also has under his name Andrew Robinson a review of it.

So aside from the "Blow your mind" sound what else is so good about this Crown XLS 2000? Here's what... It has it's own built in line conditioner, yes that's right this bad boy is designed from the ground up to handle bad and variable quality electrical power. It has its own DIGITAL crossover built in should you choose to use it if you can bi-amp your speakers. It runs as a stereo power amp as well. And after you hear this baby for a little while you will want to save up and get another one and then run them as dual mono-blocks. Does even more ridiculously higher wattage sound even better? YES. How can that be? Perhaps its just the wattage grabs hold of the speakers and never lets go. Who knows? All I know is I have NEVER had this kind of power to play with before. These amps never get more than a few degrees above ambient temperature either. Amazing. Crown claims they are 98% efficient and that's how. How come amps of this magnitude are so cheap? One reason is they have lost about 500 parts in making these compared to Class AB. How easy is it to configure this amp? Very, all settings are made by the buttons on the front below the LCD screen. How clear are the directions in the manual? Very, only a few pages for the whole manual. Go to Crown usa and check it out. Several Crown employees use these in Home Theater applications and/or home audio applications. Which model do they ALL use? This one. They said the two lower models are more stripped down and this one the 2000 or the 2500 should be chosen. How is their tech support? Excellent! I got in under a minute each time. These are built for pro use under often very demanding conditions and take a "lickin' and keep on tickin!" I read the transferable warranty to cover almost everything unless you drop it in a lake or throw it off a roof and is transferable and lasts 3 years under PRO use.

You should definitely pull the trigger on this one. But first you must be made aware of the differences between the world of pro audio & home audio. Pro audio equipment uses somewhat higher preamplifier voltage than SOME home stuff. Crown states the input voltage should be 1.4 VOLTS minimum, my preamp puts out 1.0 volts for example, and yes that DOES make a difference. Does it work? Yes just fine but I've got to turn my preamp volume control up to 3PM with a volume control range of 8AM to 5PM just before audible distortion. That helps a lot but you won't be able to blast out an auditorium for example like you could with the specified input voltages. I'm looking into a very basic gain control to deliver the specified voltage. After much searching I have found a simple elegant solution. HTD or home theater direct, has a "line level gain booster" which you can find from THEIR search box. It has the ability to reduce or increase line level (preamplifier) gain up to 12 DB. It is made in Taiwan, with quality similar to Japan. After 48 hours break-in, it adds no noise, nor does it introduce any sonic problems of its own. This little device solves any gain problem anyone might have thereby allowing ANY home theater or audiophile enthusiast to enjoy this incredible pro-audio amplifier. A musician friend of mine just told me about a similar one which uses a single 12AX7 tube per channel and loves it. We'll see.

The banana plug receptacles come plugged with a plastic insert which need to be pulled out. The easiest way to do this is to insert a screw into them just enough to grip them and pull them out by hand and they pop out easily. For audiophile purposes you should set the gain controls to 12:00 noon to plus 1 click MAXIMUM. Finally like most fine audio equipment you need to break it in for 72 TO 96 hours before it gets sweeter. You should run it 24/7 even at barely audible volume at night when sleeping. What's the bummer? It only comes with a 3ft power cord so you may need a 15 amp 3 prong extension cord
Go ahead and pull the trigger on this one and grin from ear to ear. That's what I'm doing. And yes these are now my reference amps and I'm done looking. I could NEVER get rid of these things[/SIZE]
post #65 of 89 Old 02-15-2013, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I just bought the Xls 1500, could not resist after seeing & reading that article in home theatre review? I think. I 've been unable to get back to that spot/thread to re read what got me interested. I have a Denon , cyrus,& meintner to compare this new Amp to, BUT the Comparisons I've read hooked me to buy it!
I don't care about it being perfect, I can adjust for bright or warm, I cannot adjust for "Dynamics", in my interpretation; That is the Dynamic range that is
in the music that only good?/powerfull?/ Dynamic Amps can reproduce? I honestly don't know how an Amp gets a sonic signature?,but whatever it is,
I believe the Dynamics are Very Important to me!
I only have Live from Daryls house for live comparisons, this has worked very well for me to "hear" the Difference?
I have a Sound Streemer ll Dac & a little bear tube amp that the signal goes through.
post #66 of 89 Old 02-15-2013, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I bought an XLS1500 a couple of months ago. I'll make this a short review: If you have a desire for POWER the Crown XLS series amps deliver! If you have buckets of money for big name mono blocks by all means indulge yourself. If not then get one of these awesome amps. This is my first class 'D' amp - it won't be the last. The sound is every bit as clear as the pair of Emotiva UPA-1 mono-block amps it replaced at almost half the money. While I don't use all the power of the UPA-1s or the XLS amp its nice to know I can shake the house down with either amps if I wanted to. With the XLS1500 I can do it for less.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #67 of 89 Old 02-15-2013, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
How is the bass response? Deep? Precise and not muddy? Just wondering if I should take the plunge. I have a pair of Canton GLE 490.2 speakers.

Music Room: Marantz PM8004, Marantz SA8004, Audioquest ICs, Emotiva speaker cables, Quad 22L2, Pioneer DV610AUK universal player
Family room: Tascam PA-R100 AVR, Panasonic DMP-BDT220, Jamo S606 5.1 system, Dayton speaker cables, Sharp Aquos tv
Office: Teac CRH500NT internet receiver, Cambridge Audio S-30, Jamo 210 sub
Home Theatre Room: (under construction) Oppo 103
post #68 of 89 Old 02-16-2013, 05:03 PM

My xls 1500 arrived about 2 hrs ago & is playing now, it has a measurably higher Dynamic range , music is livelyier & punchier, than my Denon & the Bottom end is more noticable.
I needed about 3 clicks of bass to get the warm sound I like, the new Amp needs 1/2 that. Obviously all new equiptment has some sort of ?Burn in" period.
Tomorrow when I can crank it I'll report again. For now first Impressions are very good.
post #69 of 89 Old 02-16-2013, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Which denon you have? I have a 3313 and wondering if the 2500 will give me a noticeable difference.

Samsung UN60ES8000, MartinLogan Theos & Stage, B&M CM9 surrounds, Denon 3313, Roku 3, AppleTV, Chromecast, PS4 (SubSolar), Xbox One (SubSolar0)
post #70 of 89 Old 02-17-2013, 08:51 AM

I have an old avr-1010 & a new 1913. The Crown amp is VERY revealing, it it a least 10db higher dynamic range, follows the music fast & tight! Everything I listen to; rock pop cntry Jazz is more "Live" than a recorded CD.
I urge everyone who would like an upgrade from there reciever to try the Crowns.
A "noticable difference"?? would be a click of bass treble or midrange.
I had $5000.00 Meitner mono-blocks 100Wpc, & a Cyrus Integrated $1500.00 both Very Musical amps.

I'm noticing a quality from my Speakers that I have not heard in 15yrs!!! about 10-15% better
They are the much reveered Alon series by Acarian & now NOLO co.
For the $350.00 I spent for the 1500 I'm VERY HAPPY today.
post #71 of 89 Old 02-17-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVNut57 View Post

I have an old avr-1010 & a new 1913. The Crown amp is VERY revealing, it it a least 10db higher dynamic range, follows the music fast & tight! Everything I listen to; rock pop cntry Jazz is more "Live" than a recorded CD.
I urge everyone who would like an upgrade from there reciever to try the Crowns.
A "noticable difference"?? would be a click of bass treble or midrange.
I had $5000.00 Meitner mono-blocks 100Wpc, & a Cyrus Integrated $1500.00 both Very Musical amps.

I'm noticing a quality from my Speakers that I have not heard in 15yrs!!! about 10-15% better
They are the much reveered Alon series by Acarian & now NOLO co.
For the $350.00 I spent for the 1500 I'm VERY HAPPY today.

I've owned my XLS 2500 for almost six months and have been extremely pleased with it.

The sound quality and sheer power these amps can produce are amazing. 

Onkyo TX-NR709
Onkyo C-7030
Crown XLS 2500

Polk RTi12's
Polk CSi3
Polk FXi3's
Polk PSW-505's
post #72 of 89 Old 02-17-2013, 04:24 PM

I am noticing that Jazz and bass rich music is even more Impressive, & enjoyable.
CD's that are thin & grainy & treble rich are still that way.
But Dynamic & demanding bass rich music is reproduced without effort.
I have tried my gain controls on the Amp from 7am where they start
to 5pm where they end. I need only to go to 9am to get it loud, so the Amp has as much as my
application would ever need. I believe it could run 2 sets of speakers.

There were questions about the amount of volume on the pre-amp needed.
I have a little bear tube amp inline, for gain adjustment & softening.

I don't think it's really needed for gain as I have it set almost to the minimum setting
& the pre-amp is producing concert level at 10 pm to 12 pm.

I'm talking about pre-amp gain, some have low my denon has more than enough.

I'll report next week when I get my XD?/with dac Emo delivered.
I don't think this amp has a strong ?"Sonic Signature"?
But I'm going to label it Accurate revealing slightly forward.
no laid back mushy bloated or any of the Audiophile terms.
Hope this helps for those still on the fence.
post #73 of 89 Old 02-18-2013, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Just purchased a new 2500 for $440 shipped on eBay. Hopefully will arrive within a couple weeks.

Samsung UN60ES8000, MartinLogan Theos & Stage, B&M CM9 surrounds, Denon 3313, Roku 3, AppleTV, Chromecast, PS4 (SubSolar), Xbox One (SubSolar0)
post #74 of 89 Old 02-19-2013, 08:34 AM

My polk sub PSW-10 $99.99 has arrived & even less than 1/2 Volume & my room has a warmer more Clubby sound! worth every penny I spent.
Waiting for my pre from Emo,W/ Dac & all .
If it's not outstanding I'll by Another Denon 1913 or more & use the Audessy,
for some Improvement?? I have an OLD Cal tercet CD that's warm & Detailed.
post #75 of 89 Old 02-19-2013, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVNut57 View Post

My polk sub PSW-10 $99.99 has arrived & even less than 1/2 Volume & my room has a warmer more Clubby sound! worth every penny I spent.
Waiting for my pre from Emo,W/ Dac & all .
If it's not outstanding I'll by Another Denon 1913 or more & use the Audessy,
for some Improvement?? I have an OLD Cal tercet CD that's warm & Detailed.

I'm surprised you are using an amplifier with speakers, yet opted for a bottom of the line Sub. My Klipsch RW-12D didn't even really satisfy my right now. I'm ordering the amp today though. Only 4 left and I'm not missing out! Now though, I think I'm going to opt for the VTF-15 if I get another sub. I want a sub that really hits my chest. I'm going to see though once Audessy calibrates my system with my new receiver whether I want one but most likely yes. It'll be awhile til I get it though frown.gif.
post #76 of 89 Old 02-19-2013, 09:46 AM

the Polk does the job and then some, I have an expensive Velodyne 12 in a small theatre room,12X14 with my denon 1913, & inexpensive pioneers & Love it!.
Knowing how much more powerfull the Amp would be & that it only took 2 or so clicks of bass to get my Alons to sound like small subs, I figured a small sub would be
a bit less than in supporting the 2 Alons with Accurate bass . I would Rate the system Revealing yet powerfull & punchy!!
I put on some 70's Disco. Classic Donna summer & such. It was "Almost like " a club1 LOL.

1 room is a 3 seat small home theatre, the other is a 21X26 living/dining room.
I think if I was playing movies in the large room I would be buying another 12" highpower/quality sub.
post #77 of 89 Old 02-19-2013, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

If I wasn't in a fraternity house and I wasn't throwing parties in my room all the time I probably would do something similar. Because though I'm constantly playing music at extremely high volumes though and everyone loves bass, I end up needing a lot more. My needs will be a lot different though when I'm at home and I'm only watching movies and playing Halo 4. I just placed the order for the amp now though. I'm getting an XLS 1500 same as you. That article in HT mag got me interested as well lol and that pretty much pushed me over the edge. Now, I gotta place the order for my receiver and I'm good to go.
post #78 of 89 Old 02-19-2013, 10:48 AM

I'm an old Fart 57 that drives a Kawasaki 1000, I don't listen too loud & appreciate Vocals,cntry & Jazz, My days of Playing Pat Benatar "Treat me right" at full volume are over!
Smooth creamy & articulate, like you might play for a special Girl next to you!! Get it??
Enjoy the trip, it's more Important than the Destination.
post #79 of 89 Old 02-19-2013, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

The trip has been fun. Would have been better if I'd bought the HT-RC370 like I had planned instead of the 360. Then I wouldn't need an all new receiver with preouts. But it's been a learning experience just like my car audio.

I'll run my Monitor 70s off my Receiver in DIRECT at a 80hz, and off the amplifier at Direct (probably playing off my IPOD or something) and compare the difference until I get my new receiver.
post #80 of 89 Old 02-19-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSolar View Post

Just purchased a new 2500 for $440 shipped on eBay. Hopefully will arrive within a couple weeks.

That is a good price for the 2500, you won't be disappointed.  

Onkyo TX-NR709
Onkyo C-7030
Crown XLS 2500

Polk RTi12's
Polk CSi3
Polk FXi3's
Polk PSW-505's
post #81 of 89 Old 03-30-2013, 10:43 AM

I've had my 1500 for a cple of weeks now & it's just the ticket with my Emo digital pre, & a cheap Blue ray player Digital out to the emo built in Dac.

3 pieces 350 crown 360 emo pre & 59.99 for the Blue-ray.

I've replaced the 5000.00 mono-blocks, 1800 pre, & 1500 cd player, with new

equiptment with warrantys that sound every bit as good with much more power & volume

I don't care what speakers you put on this set-up!! For the most part 300+ Watts per channel

should give most rooms a real good punch!!!

PS after reading your posts I feel you should have a pair of the monitors that small groups or dj's use

it's a reasonably sized box with a larger speaker, that you won't play as loud but the lge speaks will move more air so you guys can feel

the music , Concert speaker style!
post #82 of 89 Old 03-30-2013, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I just received a XLS1000 to be used with a Dayton UM15 flatpack build and so far I'm fairly impressed. I do have some caveats though. There is some hiss when connected to full range speakers in stereo mode that you can hear from about a foot away. Therefore, if your plan is to use as a amplifier for your mains, I would step up to at least the XLS1500 as others have stated. When used for a sub, the hiss is only noticeable within a few inches and if you engage the LP filter at 150Hz it is mostly gone. To address another issue; I'm using the XLS1000 with an older Yamaha receiver and the input sensitivity of 1.4V is a non factor because I have been able to illuminate the clipping lights while demoing a BMG DVD-A disc. Overall I think this is a great solution for DIY subwoofers.
post #83 of 89 Old 05-05-2013, 09:05 AM

I had the hiss until I used the XLR connectors, that the amp I my emotiva XDA both have! Now it's gone!
I've never had the 0 indicator illuminated more than a tiny flick & the speakers were @ well over 105db
& I was seriously afraid of them blowing up!! my neighbor well across the street said the music was nice and loud there also!
post #84 of 89 Old 09-15-2013, 11:37 AM

Has anyone had any experience with the DriveCore Install series? I just ordered one... Would like to know any Input from anyone...
post #85 of 89 Old 09-16-2013, 08:16 AM

Yes, this and other threads will give you all the info you like, read up & see!
post #86 of 89 Old 10-09-2013, 05:31 PM

I'm trying to figure out which amp is more powerful and would be better for driving a pair of subs. I own the Crown XLS 1000 and an Emotiva UPA-2. The Emotiva is rated at 225 watts per channel RMS @ 4 ohms and the Crown is rated at 350 watts per channel @ 4 ohms. The crown is rated "Maximum average power in watts at 0.5% THD, 1kHz". The Emotiva is rated at RMS and it looks to me like the Crown is rated at Peak Power. I'm thinking the Emotiva is more powerful.

http://emovault.org/EmoVault/_DOCS/Amps/UPA-2/UPA-2.pdf

http://www.crownaudio.com/media/wysiwyg/XLS/XLS-DC_datasheet.pdf
post #87 of 89 Old 10-16-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 67
"Maximum average watts" is the more technically correct way of saying what many others do when they say RMS watts / watts RMS.

I doubt the Emo is more powerful, but if both were rated at the same percent distortion (which the are not) the difference would be smaller than it appears. If the Crown were rated at 0.04% like the Emo, its rating likely would be lower. If the Emo was rated at 0.5% like the Crown, its rating likely would be higher.

The real difference between the two isn't all that much anyway from an output/dBW standpoint, and factoring the different points of measurement they're likely even closer than what they appear. In use it may be six of one, half-dozen of the other.

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
post #88 of 89 Old 10-21-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post

"Maximum average watts" is the more technically correct way of saying what many others do when they say RMS watts / watts RMS.

I doubt the Emo is more powerful, but if both were rated at the same percent distortion (which the are not) the difference would be smaller than it appears. If the Crown were rated at 0.04% like the Emo, its rating likely would be lower. If the Emo was rated at 0.5% like the Crown, its rating likely would be higher.

The real difference between the two isn't all that much anyway from an output/dBW standpoint, and factoring the different points of measurement they're likely even closer than what they appear. In use it may be six of one, half-dozen of the other.

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like Crown does rate at "RMS" unlike Berringer who rates at Peak Power.
post #89 of 89 Old 10-21-2013, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Technically there is no such thing as "RMS power". There is RMS voltage and RMS current, the product of which gives you average power. Which is the same thing some mistakenly call "RMS power". Peak power, or dynamic power, are peak readings and typically somewhat to a lot higher.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Hsu Research , Crown Xls1000 Power Amplifier
Gear in this thread - Xls1000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page