Audyssey MultEQ XT32 + SubEQ HT thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-03-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 490
The version provided in this year's Atmos-capable equipment is not exactly the same as the original version. At the very least, when Dolby Atmos-Enabled speakers are in use, it applies a psycho-acoustic frequency adjustment in order to avoid removing the notch designed into the speakers. Whether or not any additional changes have been made is unknown. However, I don't think anybody has actually asked in the official Ask-Audyssey forum on Facebook.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurianOfBorg View Post
Has XT32 been improved since 2009? Or is it exactly the same in modern AVRs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
The version provided in this year's Atmos-capable equipment is not exactly the same as the original version. At the very least, when Dolby Atmos-Enabled speakers are in use, it applies a psycho-acoustic frequency adjustment in order to avoid removing the notch designed into the speakers. Whether or not any additional changes have been made is unknown. However, I don't think anybody has actually asked in the official Ask-Audyssey forum on Facebook.

I'm pretty sure there has been no mention of improvements in XT32. Interestingly enough, quite a few of the Denon owners of the X5200 Atmos receiver are obtaining better results than they did with their previous receivers with XT32. Some are coming from previous Denon models and others are coming from Onkyo models, so apparently something has changed. It could just be down to a better mic.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
Liked: 1589
It's worth noting though that these are all anecdotal reports. Nobody has done a rigorous comparison of measurements from a previous model with XT32 vs. the newer Denon/Marantz models. I don't think we're ready to say definitely that the "new" XT32 is substantively different than what has come before.

I would venture that Chris K would say that nothing has changed -- his stock reply has always been that the basic MultEQ algorithms (or the algorithms for other tech like DEQ/DV) are the same as they've always been. However, that doesn't mean there couldn't be some implementation changes on the part of the manufacturer. For example, when I switched from the 2310CI to the 2113CI, I noticed a signficant change in the volume level with Dynamic Volume engaged. With the older model engaging DV didn't dramatically change the overall volume level -- I would listen at around -35 or -40 for late night listening -- but starting with the 2113 and subsequent models (X4000 and now X5200) engaging DV really boosts the overall volume, so I listen at more like -50 to -55 for late night viewing.

When there IS a meaningful change (e.g. the addition of the Adaptive Low Freq Correction that increased sub resolution from 16x to 128x back in 2007 or so) Audyssey typically advertises it. But they probably wouldn't say anything (if they even knew about it) if there was some change on the manufacturers end in implementation.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!