About Extended Warranties For A/V Receivers..... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-09-2010, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All:

Hope everyone's having a pleasant holiday season so far.

Now.... on to my question.....

I am going to be purchasing a Harman/Kardon AVR-3600 Audio/Video Receiver tomorrow. This is going to be a Christmas Present to myself. I hope that my receiver will come loaded with the lastest firmware updates when I get it sometime next week.

What I want to know is IS it worth it to purchase an extended warranty for a receiver??? Or just go ahead and stick with the original manufacturer's warranty until that runs out, and hope and pray nothing goes wrong with my receiver days or weeks after its warranty expires????

And if I do decide to purchase an extended warranty at the seller's recommendation, are these extended warranties worth the paper they are written on???

I have wrestled with this VERY question over the last three weeks or so now, and now, I want to solicit the opinions or actual experience of others before I decide to go ahead and bite the bullet so to speak.

Thanks in advance to anyone and everyone.....

Merry Christmas Everyone......

--Charles--

Samsung PN42C450; Xfinity X1; Pioneer BDP-51FD; Harman/Kardon AVR-3600; Sennheiser HD-600; Panamax MR4000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-09-2010, 05:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 92
You gave no details? How long, how much, and what's the standard warranty?

If a receiver lasts two years, it may last ten. It's demonstrated that it has no major flaws, at least, I think.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #3 of 9 Old 12-09-2010, 05:10 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 1340
Not really required although clearly a personal choice for peace of mind in some cases. SquareTrade is a decent after market company, much less expensive then going with a B&M warranty (eg. Best Buy).

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 9 Old 12-09-2010, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

@ MichaelJHuman:

The warranty of the receiver I am purchasing is two years (according to Harman/Kardon).

Receivers, Amplifiers and Tuners have a Two Year Warranty.
Other components have a One Year Warranty.

But according to what I saw on "amazon.com" three weeks ago, if I were to purchase an extended warranty for this VERY SAME Receiver, it would cost me to the tune of $150.00 for four years.

Let be hypothetical about this question. Were this to be you in this same situation, what would you do??? How would you decide??? Extended Warranty for the added Peace Of Mind???? Or would you bypass that idea altogether, and hope and pray that the receiver doesn't crap out on you when the warranty period is up, and hope that you get about 8-to-10 years out of the thing????

I wrestling with this idea because there are people here in the forums who have purchased Harman Kardon's products in the past, and have stated time and time again that they are have performance issues with their products. While on the other hand, other people have had some issues when it came to the extended warranties that they have purchased, only to find later on that they are not worth the paper they are written on.

Have any idea about what you would do in this situation???

--Charles--

Samsung PN42C450; Xfinity X1; Pioneer BDP-51FD; Harman/Kardon AVR-3600; Sennheiser HD-600; Panamax MR4000
post #5 of 9 Old 12-09-2010, 06:44 PM

I guess it depends on where I am purchasing the product. Some of these extended warranties are good to get if the retailer is not an authorized seller and you still make out better than you would have going to a B and M store. This is the main reason IMO I would go for a extended warranty. Is it 4 additional years or just two additional?
post #6 of 9 Old 12-09-2010, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 67
IMO, charge it on a credit card and the card issuer often extends the warranty at no extra charge regardless if you carry the balance or pay in full at the next bill. I'm with MJH on this. If it doesn't puke in the first two or three years it's probably not going to anytime soon. Anyway, who wants a five year old HT receiver?

So, to directly answer the question, no; I don't buy extended warranties.

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-10-2010, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Extended warranties are, in general, a bad idea. Think about it like this: Would the company be offering it to you if they didn't expect to come out ahead on the deal?

However, there can be times where they are worth it, for the peace of mind if nothing else. If you strongly desire to keep and use the item for many years, it may be worthwhile, especially as lower to mid-range receivers seem to have a tendency to die 6-12 months after the warranty runs out.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-10-2010, 03:34 PM

If your going to buy something rather complicated and expensive to fix. It might be worth it. The other question you need to look at is what kind of reliability track record does the company have with the product ? In the case of the HK I personally would get it. HK makes a great receiver overall but have had quite a few HDMI issues. So it might be worth it here.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-10-2010, 03:47 PM

I'll buy a warranty for anything that costs more than $ 150, sometimes even less. Why? I have a three year old and, some may say worse, a wife. Stuff just ends up broken, warranties keep me out of prison.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page