Pulling my hair out - Pioneer VSX-01THX audio issues - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-16-2010, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone -

First off - wonderful forum, wonderful wealth of info. Cannot imagine how I made it this long without utiliizing all your advice.

Here is the setup:
Kuro Plasma
Pioneer VSX-01THX
TivoHD
PS3
Focal Dome speakers

I set this all up for my sister and her husband, who really do not know how to do this sort of stuff, and i (i thought) did. Here is the problem - when watching HD sources on TV via Tivo, the audio "cracks" for lack of a better word, like a loose cable. I replaced cables twice, I switched inputs, etc. It looks, to me, that the receiver is trying to switch source from digital to analog or something like that, but when I set it to permanently get audio from HDMI, it still does it. Picture jumps very infrequently with sound crack, but not often. This led me to think the Tivo was bad, but here is the kicker - if I record, via Tivo, a show that is cracking and jumping all over the place, and then watch it back, it doesn't do anything. No cracking, no jumping. Also, the PS3 works flawlessly - no jumping, no nothing.

Does anyone have any suggestions? The system was purchased from a franchise that has since gone under - Tweeter - so I am not sure I have any way short of submitting receiver for repair, and nothing seems to be make any sense.

I am at my wits end, and of course I have become the bad guy - your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalforever View Post

Hello everyone -

First off - wonderful forum, wonderful wealth of info. Cannot imagine how I made it this long without utiliizing all your advice.

Here is the setup:
Kuro Plasma
Pioneer VSX-01THX
TivoHD
PS3
Focal Dome speakers

I set this all up for my sister and her husband, who really do not know how to do this sort of stuff, and i (i thought) did. Here is the problem - when watching HD sources on TV via Tivo, the audio "cracks" for lack of a better word, like a loose cable. I replaced cables twice, I switched inputs, etc. It looks, to me, that the receiver is trying to switch source from digital to analog or something like that, but when I set it to permanently get audio from HDMI, it still does it. Picture jumps very infrequently with sound crack, but not often. This led me to think the Tivo was bad, but here is the kicker - if I record, via Tivo, a show that is cracking and jumping all over the place, and then watch it back, it doesn't do anything. No cracking, no jumping. Also, the PS3 works flawlessly - no jumping, no nothing.

Does anyone have any suggestions? The system was purchased from a franchise that has since gone under - Tweeter - so I am not sure I have any way short of submitting receiver for repair, and nothing seems to be make any sense.

I am at my wits end, and of course I have become the bad guy - your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Mike

To me that would eliminate the Pioneer from the problem, it is still getting the same video/audio from the Tivo whether it is recorded or streaming.

Have you tried HD vs SD channels? Try bypassing the receiver and go straight to the TV.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

@alaskan -

Thanks for the reply, i have not tried going direct to TV, cannot figure out why I didnt think of that. It def happens more on HD channels, in fact she claims it "never" happens in SD programming. Could the tivo actually send bad signal live, but the recorded programming be ok? I mean, it literally starts jumping, I hit rewind, go back 10 secs, and the recorded audio is fine. It is the nuttiest thing.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalforever View Post

@alaskan -

Thanks for the reply, i have not tried going direct to TV, cannot figure out why I didnt think of that. It def happens more on HD channels, in fact she claims it "never" happens in SD programming. Could the tivo actually send bad signal live, but the recorded programming be ok? I mean, it literally starts jumping, I hit rewind, go back 10 secs, and the recorded audio is fine. It is the nuttiest thing.

I'm not really sure as I don't have a Tivo, but I would try to bypass the receiver or try using a different input on the pioneer. If it is only the tivo source that is doing that I would say it is more likely to be the tivo, but that's just a guess.