receiver recommendation, $500 budget, from Best Buy - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-16-2010, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

I've been reading a lot of the posts on here, and thought I'd see if I could humbly ask for your opinion as to the best receiver for my needs.

My current setup:

Fronts: Polk Monitor 60s
Center: Polk CS2
Sub: Polk PSW10
Rears: some Sony rear speakers...not important, they work for now
Current receiver: Sony STR-DE335 (yes, it's oooold) - 80w X 5, Dolby Pro Logic - not even digital
audio/video inputs: Xbox 360 over component, PS3 over HDMI, wii over composite, Motorola DVR/cable box over component
TV: Philips 52" LCD, 1080p, 120hz

Anyway, I'd like to get something with more power, and that can handle all the current codecs. I've been looking at the Denon 791, Pioneer 1020, Yamaha 667, and the Onkyo 608, but I'm open to suggestions. Video processing would be nice, but if it's going to cause problems then I'd just as soon go straight to the TV - however, if the receiver can ably handle upscaling to HDMI then that'd be awesome.

The reason I'm buying it from BB is I have a load of gift cards that I might as well use for a nicer receiver.

Please advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-16-2010, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by abramN View Post

Hey guys,

I've been reading a lot of the posts on here, and thought I'd see if I could humbly ask for your opinion as to the best receiver for my needs.

My current setup:

Fronts: Polk Monitor 60s
Center: Polk CS2
Sub: Polk PSW10
Rears: some Sony rear speakers...not important, they work for now
Current receiver: Sony STR-DE335 (yes, it's oooold) - 80w X 5, Dolby Pro Logic - not even digital
audio/video inputs: Xbox 360 over component, PS3 over HDMI, wii over composite, Motorola DVR/cable box over component
TV: Philips 52" LCD, 1080p, 120hz

Anyway, I'd like to get something with more power, and that can handle all the current codecs. I've been looking at the Denon 791, Pioneer 1020, Yamaha 667, and the Onkyo 608, but I'm open to suggestions. Video processing would be nice, but if it's going to cause problems then I'd just as soon go straight to the TV - however, if the receiver can ably handle upscaling to HDMI then that'd be awesome.

The reason I'm buying it from BB is I have a load of gift cards that I might as well use for a nicer receiver.

Please advise.

Well I picked up an ex-display Denon 1910 for 150 from BB so if you're open to display models you may get more for your money so you can spend on speakers...just a thought
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page