Center Channel Dead - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-17-2010, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I have had 2 separate amps, where both center channels have been cutting in and out. After knocking the amp around it comes back eventually. Both went naturally the first time, then knocking them up was the solution to bring the sound back (reinserting/recrimping cables didn't change anything). The speaker setup has remained the same on both. It turns out the relays are at fault. My question is: is the failure of the same component in two separate (and different) amps a coincidence or is it the speaker that is causing this problem? If it is the speaker, what is happening to make the relays fail? The current amp is a pioneer vsx 516, the other was an older sony (cant remember the model number)

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-17-2010, 12:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Interesting. There's always a chance of random coincidence.

Ideally, even if the center was causing excess current flow, the receiver would shut down before relay damage would have occurred. I would have guesses that the circuit activating the relay should not be affected by the amplifed signal.

I guess it would make sense to check the center channel for obvious faults. There's a basic test using a multi-meter I am told you can do. You could also sweep a full range signal through the speaker at somewhat high volume which could also indicate an issue.

"But this one goes up to 11"
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page