Anthem MRX 500 and blu ray - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-21-2010, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have an older Anthem AVM 20 and PVA 7 for my home theater. However, I think it's time to make the switch to newer technology and hopefully better sound.

I was thinking about picking up the new Anthem MRX 500. I've heard good things. It's really more than I want to spend, but I've loved my AVM 20 and have had zero problems with it so it may be a solid investment.

My question is what kind of blu ray player should I paid this with? I've heard great things about the Oppo BDP-93. However, do I need a player that does all the audio and video decoding if the receiver also can do it? Would it be better to spend less on the blu ray and get one with less decoding capabilities if the Anthem will be doing it? Or is the decoding and video processing needed in both pieces???

I'm a little confused on what is the best route to go. Maybe the better route would be to get the Oppo and then a cheaper receiver?

Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2010, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadcaper View Post

I currently have an older Anthem AVM 20 and PVA 7 for my home theater. However, I think it's time to make the switch to newer technology and hopefully better sound.

I was thinking about picking up the new Anthem MRX 500. I've heard good things. It's really more than I want to spend, but I've loved my AVM 20 and have had zero problems with it so it may be a solid investment.

My question is what kind of blu ray player should I paid this with? I've heard great things about the Oppo BDP-93. However, do I need a player that does all the audio and video decoding if the receiver also can do it? Would it be better to spend less on the blu ray and get one with less decoding capabilities if the Anthem will be doing it? Or is the decoding and video processing needed in both pieces???

I'm a little confused on what is the best route to go. Maybe the better route would be to get the Oppo and then a cheaper receiver?

Help!

Hi,

the Anthem MRX 500 can do all the processing/decoding with the exception of DSD which the Oppo provides for SACD's. If you set the Oppo to output PCM for playing SACDs then the MRX 500 and the Oppo are a great match. I have the MRX 500 with the Oppo BDP-83 and they work great together. I send all outputs over HDMI as bitstream (with the exception of PCM for my SACD playback) and let the Anthem do all the processing. If you don't have a need for SACDs or DVD-Audio playback then the Oppo with the MRX 500 is overkill, IMHO. But, it is an excellent machine and the Blu-Ray video output etc. is stellar. Not sure if the other Panasonic/Samsung Blu-Ray players etc. can deliver the same video quality as the Oppo.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Tony