post #271 of 721 Old 02-05-2011, 01:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anyone running dual subs?
I can only seem to get one sub to play.
Any thoughts?

Media Room - Martin Logan Theos, ML Stage, 4xML Motion 4, 4xML Motion FX, Denon 4520 Receiver, CJ PV-14L Pre, Innersound ESL 300 Amp, eD a5-350, Sharp Z30000 PJ, 130" Dalite JKP 1.3, Oppo 103, Dune 3D, Sonos, Logitech Transporter, HTPC, 2xButtKicker, Darbee

Family Room: Panasonic 60ZT60, Martin Logan C2, ML Motion 15, ML Motion 2, Sunfire True Sub Jr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 721 Old 02-05-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightpitt View Post

... I'm going to attempt to start off on the right foot by providing some help here, myself, with my very first post:

See pg. 11 of the manual. Hitting "Mode" in the "Remote Mode" box allows you to change the actual mode of the remote while not changing the input on the receiver. I had the very same complaint as you, V=IR, until I found that feature.

Nice! Thanks knightpitt

That note didn't make much sense to me, when I first read it, back when
I was setting up the receiver. There have been a few moments, while
working with the unit, that I wondered what the Mode button was all about.
Makes sense now
post #273 of 721 Old 02-07-2011, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiltz View Post

Any thoughts?

According to the manual, both SW line-level outputs are identical, and
always active. They should both be driving the same signal. Have you
tried swapping outputs between the two subwoofers, to see if the problem
tracks the port or the speaker? It is possible that one of the cables is bad,
or the SW has a blown fuse etc ...
post #274 of 721 Old 02-07-2011, 03:44 PM

hi, just got my 270 in the mail today and all i can say is WOW!!! i am coming from a JVC 8010 receiver to this and am amazed with this thing. one question i do have is should i upgrade the firmware or are the ones being sold now up to date?
post #275 of 721 Old 02-07-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiltz View Post

Any thoughts?

You may need to run Audyssey setup again. That is how the receiver removed my Sub 2 when I did not have it.
post #276 of 721 Old 02-07-2011, 07:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by hclarkjr View Post

hi, just got my 270 in the mail today and all i can say is WOW!!! i am coming from a JVC 8010 receiver to this and am amazed with this thing. one question i do have is should i upgrade the firmware or are the ones being sold now up to date?

That latest update on the Onkyo site is 11/10/2010.

What is the mfr date on your receiver?

I'm sure there is a way to check your current firmware version too.

Afro GT
post #277 of 721 Old 02-08-2011, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

That latest update on the Onkyo site is 11/10/2010.

What is the mfr date on your receiver?

I'm sure there is a way to check your current firmware version too.

Yeah it's available on the OSD:

SETUP -> HARDWARE SETUP -> FIRMWARE UPDATE

I did the latest update named "ONKAVR0003_MA00MAMAMA00SAM7MA_105.zip" in
early Jan, so it should be the latest. Here is how the update is listed on my RC270:

"1041-0800-0010-2103"
post #278 of 721 Old 02-10-2011, 03:18 PM

is there place on onkyo site that lists the changes for each firmware?
post #279 of 721 Old 02-10-2011, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hclarkjr View Post

is there place on onkyo site that lists the changes for each firmware?

The changes are listed in the Update Procedure PDF file.
post #280 of 721 Old 02-11-2011, 02:24 PM

Liked: 11
I'm finally on the Onkyo HT-RC270 bandwagon. I ordered it from Amazon on Wednesday and I received it on Thursday. They're always super fast, and I got most of my electronics gears from them. They never fail me yet.

Let me go back to Onkyo HT-RC270- it rock out of the box. I'm coming from Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV. The Elite is a very powerful A/V receiver with 130Wx7, but it is lack of HDMI connections for my entire component. The RC270 is fairly simple to connect and setup everything. It took me roughly 20 minutes to get it working with the existing Klipsch floor standing 5.1 speakers. It is probably took me longer to pull out my TV cabinet and cleaned all the dust in the back. I'm still waiting for the 12" subwoofer to arrive, and it is already at my door on Friday afternoon. I haven't performed the Audysssey calibration, but it sounded pretty good with a quick manual setup. It seems to be crispier and cleaner sounds than the Elite. I enjoy having HDMI connections for everything. The Network/USB is a breeze to setup too. I was listening to my favorite Slacker and iPod in no time, and it sounded better than ever.

Since this is my first Audyssey system, we'll see how it turns out tonight. It shouldn't take very long to setup and calibrate because the subwoofer cable is already extended out the cabinet last night.
post #281 of 721 Old 02-12-2011, 08:43 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by new04quest View Post

I'm finally on the Onkyo HT-RC270 bandwagon.

Let me go back to Onkyo HT-RC270- it rock out of the box. I'm coming from Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV. The Elite is a very powerful A/V receiver with 130Wx7, but it is lack of HDMI connections for my entire component. The RC270 is fairly simple to connect and setup everything. It took me roughly 20 minutes to get it working with the existing Klipsch floor standing 5.1 speakers. I

I just received my HT-RC270 from Amazon as well. Yes, it does rock! I'm also using Klipsch speakers (RF-62s, RSX/RCX-5s, and an RW-10d). This was a step up from my Onkyo TX-SR606 which I needed to make since I needed HDMI 1.4 for 3D.

Multi-EQ is definitely light years above 2EQ. Having the sub calibration and 6 seating positions does wonders! The OSD is a vast improvement over the old Atari-style graphics and the iPod interface is fantastic. In extended mode using the front USB input, it's really nice to be able to either use the OSD or use the front panel display to select songs.

Overall, I couldn't be happier! Thanks for the help everyone!
post #282 of 721 Old 02-12-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGriddle View Post

I just received my HT-RC270 from Amazon as well. Yes, it does rock! I'm also using Klipsch speakers (RF-62s, RSX/RCX-5s, and an RW-10d). This was a step up from my Onkyo TX-SR606 which I needed to make since I needed HDMI 1.4 for 3D.

Multi-EQ is definitely light years above 2EQ. Having the sub calibration and 6 seating positions does wonders! The OSD is a vast improvement over the old Atari-style graphics and the iPod interface is fantastic. In extended mode using the front USB input, it's really nice to be able to either use the OSD or use the front panel display to select songs.

Overall, I couldn't be happier! Thanks for the help everyone!

Did you pay $480 or did you get it for a lower price?
post #283 of 721 Old 02-12-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu455 View Post

I got mine from Newegg for $399.99. It seems like they are completely sold out.
post #284 of 721 Old 02-12-2011, 10:01 AM

Just to update everyone on the Audyssey calibration- it is breeze. I use my very heavy nightstand lamp stand as the microphone stand. With the lamp shade removed, the screw on top of the lamp stand is perfect size for the Audyssey microphone screw hole. It is perfect height on the sofa and it hold up the microphone on the sofa very firm. I installed the new 12" Polk subwoofer (300W RMS) last night. It is not as powerful as my previous 12" HSU subwoofer, but it is perfect size for my room. I sold the HSU because it was huge and it took up a lot of space my great room. My kids are watching StepUp 3 blu-ray this morning. It is shaking the wall and every room in the house. The new Onkyo and Polk fit my bill and my needs. It has every option that I needs and it sounds good too. I couldn't be happier with my purchases!
post #285 of 721 Old 02-12-2011, 10:26 AM
pfp

Liked: 12
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by richandy View Post

I've pretty much decided to go with this receiver and am just waiting for a sale, any sale. One like that Newegg deal would be very welcome.
post #286 of 721 Old 02-12-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:

Cool! Nice deal. I was looking for a deal on these for 2 weeks! Not sure how I missed it :-).It did not show up on SD either. Will keep an eye out.
post #287 of 721 Old 02-12-2011, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:

Cool! Nice deal. I was looking for a deal on these for 2 weeks! Not sure how I missed it :-).It did not show up on SD either. Will keep an eye out.

That was the deal at black friday/ Christmas time. It was for sure on SD as well as a few others around that time.
post #288 of 721 Old 02-12-2011, 03:17 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

I paid $479 from Amazon. I waited a little while to see if the price changed, but the wait was no longer worth it, so I pulled the trigger!
post #289 of 721 Old 02-12-2011, 05:58 PM

I didn't know that there is $399.99 deal. I bought it at Amazon for $479 with free two days shipping. I received it within 1 day. I sold the used Pioneer Elite for $400. I end up added another $79. It is not as powerful as the Pioneer Elite, but it has more than enough power for my speakers and it has all the latest options and more. With these much options, I thought that I might run into trouble setting it up but it turned out everything works as advertised. To me, it is worth $479 for the Onkyo and another $220 for 12" Polk.

post #290 of 721 Old 02-12-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

That was the deal at black friday/ Christmas time. It was for sure on SD as well as a few others around that time.

Yes I was out of town for the christmas amazon deal. I know about that from SD But missed the newegg deal of $399. This did not show up on SD
post #291 of 721 Old 02-13-2011, 02:58 AM

Quote:

I didn't know that there is $399.99 deal. I bought it at Amazon for $479 with free two days shipping. I received it within 1 day. I sold the used Pioneer Elite for $400. I end up added another $79. It is not as powerful as the Pioneer Elite, but it has more than enough power for my speakers and it has all the latest options and more. With these much options, I thought that I might run into trouble setting it up but it turned out everything works as advertised. To me, it is worth $479 for the Onkyo and another $220 for 12" Polk.

It was a great deal, which I happened to stumble upon by accident. For your sub, I would have gotten the BIC F12 instead. I have one and a Polk 12", and the BIC is so much better at a lower price. Check Amazon and read the BIC sub thread. You will be glad you did. I just brought a second unit to have dual sub setup.
post #292 of 721 Old 02-13-2011, 05:51 AM

Just got HT-RC270 from Amazon a few days a go. So far so good. I have a couple technical questions:

1) I am running WinXP (not Win7) on my music server. I use WinAmp 5.601 for my almost 2TB of FLAC files. I also use Rhapsody quite a bit. Will this setup work with this recvr?

2) My server is in exact opposite corner of house as recvr is. I can run ethernet cable from my router/switch to Onkyo but it will be a huge hassle. Has anybody tried a Wireless Access Point with success? I'm using a 2Wire G 54Mbps router from U-Verse

Any input on networking would be much appreciated.
post #293 of 721 Old 02-13-2011, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtSaunders View Post

Just got HT-RC270 from Amazon a few days a go. So far so good. I have a couple technical questions:

1) I am running WinXP (not Win7) on my music server. I use WinAmp 5.601 for my almost 2TB of FLAC files. I also use Rhapsody quite a bit. Will this setup work with this recvr?

2) My server is in exact opposite corner of house as recvr is. I can run ethernet cable from my router/switch to Onkyo but it will be a huge hassle. Has anybody tried a Wireless Access Point with success? I'm using a 2Wire G 54Mbps router from U-Verse

I don't trust wireless for streaming, although I've read that some members do use it with good results. I would use a power line if running Cat will be a big hassle. If your home has decent wiring it should work almost as well as Cat. WMP11 works fine and XP supports that player. I'm not familiar with WinAmp, but I'm sure you can stream from WMP.
Biggz
post #294 of 721 Old 02-13-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
It was a great deal, which I happened to stumble upon by accident. For your sub, I would have gotten the BIC F12 instead. I have one and a Polk 12", and the BIC is so much better at a lower price. Check Amazon and read the BIC sub thread. You will be glad you did. I just brought a second unit to have dual sub setup.
My friend has BiC F12, and it sounds pretty good in his system. I'm coming from HSU 12" subwoofer. Because my wife and kits didn't like the massive box of the HSU sitting in the room next to other speakers, I decided to get rid of it. I know that Polk subwoofer cannot compared to HSU, but it fits the bill and I like how it blends in with the rest of my speakers. The Polk box is 2/3 the size of the HSU box and the wood grains blends in very well with Klipsch floor standing speaker box. Another thing that I considered, I never fully use the raw power of HSU. I barely set it to 1/3 of the volume. With Polk subwoofer, I can set it to more than 1/2 of the volume and it sounds very good in my system. I'm very happy with it!
post #295 of 721 Old 02-13-2011, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have owned my onkyo 270 for the last two weeks. it was very easy to set up. I got it running pretty quickly. I have been enjoying it very much since I got it. certainly better bass then the older receiver that I had. I like how its very simple to use. I have been using the thx settings. I also found out that my die hard 2, stargate and first blood work properly with it. I even got it work in the straight mode. to make sure that it would work. It has made my other stuff alot easier to enjoy. now that I have more HDMI slots.
all is good from here. highly recommend it.

Jacob
post #296 of 721 Old 02-13-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:

I don't want to deal with the complication of the wireless network on PS3, DirecTV HDDVR, HD Media player and Onkyo A/V receiver. I decided to go with Cisco-Linksys PLK300 PowerLine. It is rated up to 200Mbps. The Linksys powerline adapter has 4 ports, which has enough ports for my entire component at the theater room. The setup for the powerline is as easy as plug Ethernet cable directly to the router. I haven't been using it for almost two years now. I never encounter any issue with it. It is very fast too. I streams Netflix, Slacker, WMP files from my network, HD DirecTV to PC, etc and I never encounter any signal drop issue. It cost more than wireless adapter upfront, but it would have cost more for individual wireless adapters for every component.
post #297 of 721 Old 02-13-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:

I don't want to deal with the complication of the wireless network on PS3, DirecTV HDDVR, HD Media player and Onkyo A/V receiver. I decided to go with Cisco-Linksys PLK300 PowerLine. It is rated up to 200Mbps. The Linksys powerline adapter has 4 ports, which has enough ports for my entire component at the theater room. The setup for the powerline is as easy as plug Ethernet cable directly to the router. I haven't been using it for almost two years now. I never encounter any issue with it. It is very fast too. I streams Netflix, Slacker, WMP files from my network, HD DirecTV to PC, etc and I never encounter any signal drop issue. It cost more than wireless adapter upfront, but it would have cost more for individual wireless adapters for every component.

Thanks ^^^ $72 on Amazon Will try this. Should speed up my Netflix on Wii too. I get occasional streaming/buffer pauses when watching via Wireless Wii.
post #298 of 721 Old 02-13-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:

Thanks ^^^ $72 on Amazon Will try this. Should speed up my Netflix on Wii too. I get occasional streaming/buffer pauses when watching via Wireless Wii.

It appear that there are two versions of Linksys PLK300 PowerLine. The less expensive one is up to 85Mbps only. The shinier case in my previous message which is the same one I have can get up to 200Mbps. I am recommending the 200Mbps version to handle all the players in you theater room. Good luck!

Here are the two different versions:

1. Shinier Case PLK300 (Amazon listing, Cisco-Linksys PLK300 PowerLine AV Ethernet Adapter Kit and the customers rating almost perfect on this version.)

2. Dull Case PLTK300 (Listed in Amazon with "T" in it, Linksys PLTK300 PowerLine Network Kit).
post #299 of 721 Old 02-13-2011, 07:48 PM

Is there an option to set speakers to small or large in Onkyo HT-RC270? After I calibrated it using Audyssey microphone, I couldn't find this option. Thanks.
post #300 of 721 Old 02-13-2011, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by angels2342 View Post

Is there an option to set speakers to small or large in Onkyo HT-RC270? After I calibrated it using Audyssey microphone, I couldn't find this option. Thanks.

Setting speakers to 'Full Band' is equivalent to Large meaning no bass management is applied. Any setting from 40hz to 80hz(THX)to 100hz , 120hz, 150hz, 200hz is the Small setting. See page 44 of your manual.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page