Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
RE: Video Pass-Through

Quote:
Originally Posted by new04quest View Post

1. Turn on HDTV
2. Turn on Receiver
3. Press Setup on Onkyo remote controller
4. Select Input from remote controller (press "Cab/Sat" or any particular input you want to make change)
5. Press Receiver on Onkyo remote controller
6. Select Source Setup from the main setup menu
7. Select Picture Adjust, and you can set it to through from this screen.

You also have to set the Output from the Onkyo, Menu Item #1. Input/Output Assign -> #1. Monitor Out -> Resolution -> Through. You need to set this to "Through" as well as the above. This sets the video output resolution to the TV. I believe this is a universal setting, applicable to all inputs.

AFAIK, you must do BOTH of these steps for video pass-through.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 721 Old 02-25-2011, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileyrott View Post

RE: Video Pass-Through

You also have to set the Output from the Onkyo, Menu Item #1. Input/Output Assign -> #1. Monitor Out -> Resolution -> Through. You need to set this to "Through" as well as the above. This sets the video output resolution to the TV. I believe this is a universal setting, applicable to all inputs.

AFAIK, you must do BOTH of these steps for video pass-through.

I am assumed that he properly connected HDMi and properly assigned Input/Output. I thought that all he wanted to know is how to set video pass through in the Picture Adjustment at Source Setup. If he hasn't done it, he has to do all the above!
post #363 of 721 Old 02-25-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine1971 View Post

Getting blurring of sports ticker, mostly espn. Any fast moving video , but mostly I can notice it on espn's sports ticker, because it moves quickly. This has been going on since I hooked up the receiver. Any suggestions. This did not happen at all with my old onkyo. tried 1080p and pass through, with no effect.

You might want to play around with Source Setup and Picture Adjustment in Onkyo. Try set video to pass through. It is possible that it is out of sync due to too many video scalers (video source, receiver, HDTV, etc).
post #364 of 721 Old 02-25-2011, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:

You might want to play around with Source Setup and Picture Adjustment in Onkyo. Try set video to pass through. It is possible that it is out of sync due to too many video scalers (video source, receiver, HDTV, etc).

Hi new04quest, I believe McGriddle wants to know the settings for HDMI pass through while the receiver is off (standby).

If so then McGriddle needs to turn on "HDMI Control" and "Audio Tv Out" found under Hardware Setup menu.
post #365 of 721 Old 02-26-2011, 07:36 AM

When I have time, I'll write step by step procedure. With twin sons always with me, it is hard to do so. Please find instruction in this link: Onkyo HT-RC270 Owner Manual (it might be easier than try to find it in the paper manual, and you can type in word in the search box too).

After you complete all the setting, you can simply turn off the receiver to verify it. If the setup is correct, you should be able to watch any movie/show on your HDTV without turn on the receiver. It should show up the same way as you connects the player directly from the source to HDTV.
post #366 of 721 Old 02-26-2011, 05:36 PM

I got a chance to write up a procedure to set video pass through in HT-RC270 this afternoon. Here is the step by step instruction:

1. Turn on HDTV, turn on Sat or Cab or PS3 to your favorite show and turn on HT-RC270
2. Press Setup on Onkyo remote controller
3. Select Input/Output Assign in HT-RC270 main menu
4. Set Monitor Out to Through
5. Set HDMi Input to the proper input as you connected in the rear of HT-RC270
6. Select Source Setup in HT-RC270 main menu
7. At this point, you can edit input name to match with your player (PS3, DirecTV, etc)
8. Select Picture Adjust
9. Setup Picture Mode to through
10. Turn off HT-RC270, and you should be able to watch your favorite show with HT-RC270 turned off. You can control the volume and everything else directly on HDTV.

Good luck!
post #367 of 721 Old 02-27-2011, 03:23 PM

Liked: 12
Hello,
I want to try fix an issue when watching the output from my laptop's VGA output (through the receiver) on my TV. Not sure if anyone else is getting the issue.

Getting to the issue - I cannot view the entire window when the signal is going through the receiver, e.g a browser window appears without the top bar and it appears there is content being clipped on the sides and the bottom as well. Im running Windows XP, and extending the monitor using the VGA port.

The output from my laptop is VGA, the resolution going out is 1920x1080 (32-bit and 60Hz)- I tried 16-bit as well which also did not work. It is plugged into the PC input on the receiver. The HDMI output from the receiver is going to the ARC input on the TV. I know the TV supports full hd (1080p) and earlier when I had connected the laptop to the PC input on the TV I did not run into this issue - everything was fine.

When I look at the input and output Info on the receiver menus - both input and output show up correctly as 1920x1080 (60 Hz). Though there is clearly clipping on the 4 edges of the TV (as extended monitor).

I have tried changing the outputs as mentioned a few posts back
- earlier I had the Monitor Out set to 1080p and seen the clipping and
- now I set Monitor Out to "through" as well as having set the "Picture mode" to through and still see the clipping.

[edit] - as soon as I finished posting I tried the menu options on the TV - and there is a "screen fit" option that I think used to be grayed out earlier. Anyways I changed from 16:9 to the screen fit option and now my extended monitor screen shows up correctly.
post #368 of 721 Old 02-27-2011, 03:50 PM

Related to my earlier post...

Now I have another issue related to the screen fit option - the BD/DVD content shows with easily discernible black bars on all sides. If I change the TV option to 16:9 the bars are visible on the sides (much thinner), but gone on the top and bottom.

My question here is will I have to keep changing between screen fit and 16:9 on the TV menu when changing between PC and non-PC inputs to avoid seeing these bars? I tried playing with the Monitor Out and the Wide mode options a little but didn't find anything that really worked for both (PC and non-PC inputs).

Any suggestions for a fix here?
post #369 of 721 Old 02-27-2011, 08:28 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

I got a chance to write up a procedure to set video pass through in HT-RC270 this afternoon. Here is the step by step instruction:

1. Turn on HDTV, turn on Sat or Cab or PS3 to your favorite show and turn on HT-RC270
2. Press Setup on Onkyo remote controller
3. Select Input/Output Assign in HT-RC270 main menu
4. Set Monitor Out to Through
5. Set HDMi Input to the proper input as you connected in the rear of HT-RC270
6. Select Source Setup in HT-RC270 main menu
7. At this point, you can edit input name to match with your player (PS3, DirecTV, etc)
8. Select Picture Adjust
9. Setup Picture Mode to through
10. Turn off HT-RC270, and you should be able to watch your favorite show with HT-RC270 turned off. You can control the volume and everything else directly on HDTV.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for the detailed instructions new04quest! JChin is right, I was looking for a way to allow the video to pass through HDMI when the HT-RC270 is off since I don't always want to have the receiver on at all times (when watching tv, for example).

I'll give these instruction a shot when I get the chance. Thanks again!
post #370 of 721 Old 02-27-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khansha View Post

Related to my earlier post...

Now I have another issue related to the screen fit option - the BD/DVD content shows with easily discernible black bars on all sides. If I change the TV option to 16:9 the bars are visible on the sides (much thinner), but gone on the top and bottom.

My question here is will I have to keep changing between screen fit and 16:9 on the TV menu when changing between PC and non-PC inputs to avoid seeing these bars? I tried playing with the Monitor Out and the Wide mode options a little but didn't find anything that really worked for both (PC and non-PC inputs).

Any suggestions for a fix here?

I haven't tried the VGA cable. I connected my HP laptop to HT-RC270 using HDMi cable. It is the front HDMi for Aux input. I have not encountered any problem matching the HDTV screen size. It filled up the 56 16:9 HDTV screen nicely. I'm using Nvidia controller to adjust the screen resolution and resizing the screen. I set the HT-RC270 Monitor Out and Picture mode to "through", and wide mode to "Auto". Since the HDTV screen has different resolution and size than your laptop LCD, you have to go through the steps above to match it. It is nothing wrong with the laptop, receiver and HDTV.

Good luck.
post #371 of 721 Old 03-01-2011, 09:08 AM

I just ordered my 270. I tried the pioneer 1020, didn't like it all that much. Its ok but lacks features this has such as on screen volume, pandora/slacker/etc. , and dlna support..
I suspect I'll be much happier with the 270 than I was with the pioneer 1020-k
post #372 of 721 Old 03-01-2011, 10:34 AM

If you're into radio you'll find all sorts of channels available through the internet radio option (from different countries etc). for example you'll be able to get bbc radio, and your local channels.
post #373 of 721 Old 03-02-2011, 02:52 AM

or maybe its premptive prepartion for a man den.

I JUST purchased this ENTIRE setup before I found this forum I would love to receive some feedback on my purchases from those with insight before they arrive/I open them. I should also mention that I am a noobie at this game.

Receiver = HT-RC270

Satellites = Energy Take 5.1 classic ( will be used as 2 rear, 2 wide, 1 higher freq sub, and 1 center channel.

2nd Sub = BIC F-12 (thought it would help with the low freq)

Front speakers = Energy CF-30

Cable = Pyramid 200ft 12 guage w/banana pluge

So I am really hoping for a great Audyssey setup (which has gotten up and down reveiws on this reciever).

Is it worth it to buy 2x more satellites for the highs? Also, will I be needing a better center channel speaker such as a BIC FH-6? Another thing that Im realizing is that it I wont be playing Audessy 11.2 or will it?????? I've look at the pictures in the back and it seems to have all the proper channels for 11.2....

Any input appreciated, good/bad.
post #374 of 721 Old 03-02-2011, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 325
I beleive the correct center for your setup would be the CC-5, youll be able to find out in the speaker forum though. Remember you always want to make sure that your 1st three are timbre matched so that the front field is as seemless as possible.

Not sure on the is matched subs however, but youll probably get a better response from someone else...

Your not the only one who went on a spree this past week I ordered the RC270 as well as speakers(Polk Monitor 70s, Cs2, Owm3) wire(Monoprice In wall 12 gauge) and banana plugs(GLS Black Chrome) as well...
post #375 of 721 Old 03-02-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

I beleive the correct center for your setup would be the CC-5, youll be able to find out in the speaker forum though. Remember you always want to make sure that your 1st three are timbre matched so that the front field is as seemless as possible.

Not sure on the is matched subs however, but youll probably get a better response from someone else...

I was under the impression Audyssey would correct for timbre.

Signature.
post #376 of 721 Old 03-02-2011, 08:17 AM

Hello,

Looking to play my computer music through the receiver wirelessly while playing the 360 that is hooked up to my receiver. Should I just hook the 360 to my tv and then run a digital out from the tv to the receiver in case I want to hear my 360 in 7.1? Or is there a way to be in net mode while the 360 runs through the receiver to the tv, but isn't playing through the speakers. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have a ps3 hooked up to bd/dvd input via hdmi
I have a 360 hooked up to the game input via hdmi
My cable receiver is hooked up to the tv because I rarely want to listen to the tv in 7.1.

Thanks
post #377 of 721 Old 03-02-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezinHiro View Post

or maybe its premptive prepartion for a man den.

I JUST purchased this ENTIRE setup before I found this forum I would love to receive some feedback on my purchases from those with insight before they arrive/I open them. I should also mention that I am a noobie at this game.

Receiver = HT-RC270

Satellites = Energy Take 5.1 classic ( will be used as 2 rear, 2 wide, 1 higher freq sub, and 1 center channel.

2nd Sub = BIC F-12 (thought it would help with the low freq)

Front speakers = Energy CF-30

Cable = Pyramid 200ft 12 guage w/banana pluge

So I am really hoping for a great Audyssey setup (which has gotten up and down reveiws on this reciever).

Is it worth it to buy 2x more satellites for the highs? Also, will I be needing a better center channel speaker such as a BIC FH-6? Another thing that Im realizing is that it I wont be playing Audessy 11.2 or will it?????? I've look at the pictures in the back and it seems to have all the proper channels for 11.2....

Any input appreciated, good/bad.

What you have in the list should be a good start for 7.1 home theater setup. As long as you have proper speaker placement, it should sounds great with HT-RC270. Here is a great instruction on speaker placement: Speaker Placement for Home Theater .

If you are planning to make your own speaker cable for the floor standing speaker, I am recommedning these kits: Japanese Made Cable- Canare : 4S11, Cable Pants and GLS Audio Locking Series.

I made these 8' cables yesterday, but I didn't use the cable pants. I tried it with the cable pants and black cable sleeve (Cable Sleeve), but I didn't like it. I like the bare cable and wire with heatshrink looks. It is a very flexible thick 11mm cable with 14awg wire. It is as good as any expensive speaker cable on the market for a fraction of the cost. Good luck and let us know how it turn out!

post #378 of 721 Old 03-02-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashcoug View Post

Hello,

Looking to play my computer music through the receiver wirelessly while playing the 360 that is hooked up to my receiver. Should I just hook the 360 to my tv and then run a digital out from the tv to the receiver in case I want to hear my 360 in 7.1? Or is there a way to be in net mode while the 360 runs through the receiver to the tv, but isn't playing through the speakers. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

My cable receiver is hooked up to the tv because I rarely want to listen to the tv in 7.1.

Thanks

Are you trying to kill two birds with a stone? Are you trying to play music from your PC on RC270 and display HD video on HDTV from 360 at the same time?

As for the cable receiver connections, I am recommending connect it to RC270 and then HDTV. You’ll use less cable. You still can watch cable TV on HDTV without turn on the receiver by set video on RC270 to "through".
post #379 of 721 Old 03-02-2011, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

Hello,

Thanks

You can also stream music and video wirelessly through your PS3 using Windows Media Player, PS3 Media Server, or other media server. I am using PS3 Media Server on a PC in another room to serve up my mp3 player audio files as well as stream my movie library on the PC hard disk to my PS3. Therefore, you could use your PS3 to play the music from your computer while your 360 video is playing on your TV. When you want to hear your 360 in 7.1, switch the receiver to your 360 input rather than your PS3 input.

Sorry, after further thought, maybe this won't work if your 360 HDMI cable is connected to your receiver because the 360 would need to be selected on the receiver for the video to pass to your TV.
post #380 of 721 Old 03-02-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Your not the only one who went on a spree this past week I ordered the RC270 as well as speakers(Polk Monitor 70s, Cs2, Owm3) wire(Monoprice In wall 12 gauge) and banana plugs(GLS Black Chrome) as well...

Thanks for the great feedback! Im glad that I didnt jump on purchasing the bic. Would the CC-10 be a better option or would it be too much for the CF-30s and I should stick with the CC-5s? Or woud Audyssey fix the differences

Another Q, are you utilizing the other 4 audyssey channels wide and high?
post #381 of 721 Old 03-02-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:

What you have in the list should be a good start for 7.1 home theater setup. As long as you have proper speaker placement, it should sounds great with HT-RC270. Here is a great instruction on speaker placement: [

If you are planning to make your own speaker cable for the floor standing speaker, I am recommedning these kits:

I made these 8' cables yesterday, but I didn't use the cable pants. I tried it with the cable pants and black cable sleeve ([but I din't like it. I like the bare cable and wire with heatshrink looks. It is a very flexible thick 11mm cable with 14awg wire. It is as good as any expensive speaker cable on the market for a fraction of the cost. Good luck and let us know how it turn out!

You bring to light a few thing that I hadnt thought of... So, the front pair of cf-30s will be needing to use 2 channels for "each" speaker? If so, which channel outputs would I use from the amp other than FR and FL?

Also, do you have any insight as to whether I should move from 7.2 to using the full extent of Audyssey DSX with an extra 4 speakers?

Thanks again for the links - they are very helpful!
post #382 of 721 Old 03-02-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Are you trying to kill two birds with a stone? Are you trying to play music from your PC on RC270 and display HD video on HDTV from 360 at the same time?
I guess I am. It would probably just be easiest to hook 360 to tv and then tv's audio output to receiver for when I did want to use the 360 in 7.1?
post #383 of 721 Old 03-02-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I guess I am. It would probably just be easiest to hook 360 to tv and then tv's audio output to receiver for when I did want to use the 360 in 7.1?
I preferred connects everything to the receiver, and one HDMi cable from the receiver to HDTV. It looks cleaner. Since most A/V components are in entertainment center cabinet and it is usually at the same level as A/V receiver, it required shorter HDMi cable too. With a single HDMi from the receiver to HDTV, I still can watch everything without turning on the receiver.
post #384 of 721 Old 03-02-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezinHiro View Post
You bring to light a few thing that I hadnt thought of... So, the front pair of cf-30s will be needing to use 2 channels for "each" speaker? If so, which channel outputs would I use from the amp other than FR and FL?

Also, do you have any insight as to whether I should move from 7.2 to using the full extent of Audyssey DSX with an extra 4 speakers?

Thanks again for the links - they are very helpful!
That is good question, and I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve. If want to feel the entire surround sound effect, you can add all the wide speakers. If you want to keep it simple, 7.2 system is a great place to start. I recommend that the .2 subwoofers are placing directly opposite walls from each other (it can be the center of front/back walls or left and right walls, and leave enough room between the wall and subwoofer).
post #385 of 721 Old 03-02-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:

With a single HDMi from the receiver to HDTV, I still can watch everything without turning on the receiver.

But can you watch your hdtv while listening to music through the receiver's net function?
post #386 of 721 Old 03-02-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:

But can you watch your hdtv while listening to music through the receiver's net function?

I never thought of watching TV and listening to music at the same time. My subpar brain cannot do two things at the same time very well.

You might want to read the information in the manual about setup ZONE2 on page 68.
post #387 of 721 Old 03-02-2011, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:

I know for a fact that you can play audio thats asssigned to "TV/CD" port (or possible play audio from the tuner) while watching your hdtv. I believe the net doesn't work because it has video w/audio.

For example, connect a ipod via analog RCA cables to TV/CD port or connect a cd player via optical and assign it to TV/CD.

- select your input source for video (PS3, Xbox 360, Cable box, etc...)
- wait until the source video is playing
- on the remote, press "Receiver" button and then "TV/CD" button (or for tuner, press "Tuner" button)
post #388 of 721 Old 03-03-2011, 09:50 PM

Playing a 4th gen iPod touch through the USB port causes an intermittent popping sound through my speakers, regardless of musical track played or cable used. But no problems playing through the RCA-style connectors. Returning it to the store tomorrow and exchanging it for another brand (btw Google "bitstream bomb" for a good scare)

Plus, having to turn the volume up over 50 to get a listenable level just doesn't feel right.
post #389 of 721 Old 03-04-2011, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culwath View Post

Plus, having to turn the volume up over 50 to get a listenable level just doesn't feel right.

Personally, I like the lower volume level in the 35-55 range on the volume control, especially for late night listening, as I can dial the exact correct volume I want for low-level listening of any source.
post #390 of 721 Old 03-04-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:

Playing a 4th gen iPod touch through the USB port causes an intermittent popping sound through my speakers, regardless of musical track played or cable used. But no problems playing through the RCA-style connectors. Returning it to the store tomorrow and exchanging it for another brand (btw Google "bitstream bomb" for a good scare)

I tried my older iPod through USB, and it worked fine. I hope that you can find a replacement that will work with your iPod.

Quote:

It is just the way the dB is calibrated. A certain brand calibrated it at 0dB (loudest or reference point- my previous A/V Elite is calibrated this way) and some are calibrated 100dB (loudest). Personally, I like how the RC270 is calibrated. It is easier to understand. The bigger the number the louder it get. I usually watch movie at 50, and it is plenty loud. If 50 on RC270 is not loud, you must have not adjust or calibrate it right.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page