Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 721 Old 03-10-2011, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysh View Post

Just wanted to post and say I got an rc-270 as well back when they were on sale for$ 399. So far I love it, though I still have it hooked up to my old HTIB speakers as I debate what to upgrade my front 3 to. (Had to upgrade, as old Sony rec was starting to go bad after 10 years or so.)
Tried once to update the firmware via USB, however it didn't recognize the flash drive. Going to download the files again and see what happens after I reformat the drive first.
Cheers all!

I tried the older USB flash drive at first, but it didn't recognize it. I tried the newer USB flash drive, and it worked fine. You can update it using the Ethernet or Wireless network too. If you just received your RC270, it is likely that the firmware is up to date because mine was up to date.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 721 Old 03-10-2011, 09:29 AM

Liked: 10
So, now that I have ran audyssey and everything, what is keeping me from crossing my sub over lower than 80hz? When I ran odyssey it set it lower, I raised it, and now cannot put it back down. It will let me take it up though.
post #453 of 721 Old 03-10-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammin86 View Post

So, now that I have ran audyssey and everything, what is keeping me from crossing my sub over lower than 80hz? When I ran odyssey it set it lower, I raised it, and now cannot put it back down. It will let me take it up though.

Before you run Audyssey calibration, did you setting the subwoofer phase to "0", low pass all the way to the "MAX" and the volume to roughly 75dB (my 300W subwoofer is just pass the middle point)? After the calibration is complete, you can increase the subwoofer calibration level up a notch (1-2 dB).
post #454 of 721 Old 03-12-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi gbshelbymi, congrats but how does it sound?

All working and sounding great! Love being able to control everything from my iPad!
post #455 of 721 Old 03-13-2011, 01:50 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbshelbymi View Post

All working and sounding great! Love being able to control everything from my iPad!

Hate to use the cliche - is there an app for that? Where can we get it from?
post #456 of 721 Old 03-13-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoJohn View Post

To each his own.

I like to use the Zone 2 setting for cable etc. with my wireless headset. It's especially convenient if I have to walk around and listen to the news, music and even more so if something loud like the vaccuum or the stove top fan are on.
post #457 of 721 Old 03-14-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khansha View Post

I like to use the Zone 2 setting for cable etc. with my wireless headset. It's especially convenient if I have to walk around and listen to the news, music and even more so if something loud like the vaccuum or the stove top fan are on.

What a GREAT idea!!
post #458 of 721 Old 03-14-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khansha View Post

Hate to use the cliche - is there an app for that? Where can we get it from?

yep search for onkyo in the app store
post #459 of 721 Old 03-15-2011, 03:27 PM

Hi everyone, just acquired my new RC270!

Some quick questions:

1) Does your RC270 "ticks" everytime you turn it on or off, or changes the source? Mine ticks quite loud, just wondering if that was normal ...

2) I tested the USB entrance to play music from my mobile, and it "skips" everyonce in a while (like once or twice each music). These are like 1-second skips, that really ruin the music. I'm sure the problem is not with the mobile (it has been used for music on other USB drives such as my car's sound or other PCs, and never skipped, not even once...). Firmware came already updated. Any hints on what might be the problem?

3) I have networked the receiver with my PC for music streaming, using the "Server" source option on the receiver, and it's working great. However, this way you have to control the music through the receiver, and I'd really rather control the music from my PC. Is there anyway I can do that, wirelessly? How?

Thanks in advance!
post #460 of 721 Old 03-15-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliteconcept View Post

yep search for onkyo in the app store

I am so glad you mentioned this, I had no idea. The app works great, even shows album art for pandora. Too bad nothing for android.

Thanks!
post #461 of 721 Old 03-15-2011, 06:41 PM

Just received my HT-RC270 today that replaced my defective Onkyo HT-RC160. (Long story behind this manufacturer replacement BTW.... 6 months in an "authorized" (now defunct) service center and couldn't be repaired...) So I essentially have the HTIB HT-S7200 speakers and replacement RC270 receiver. Plan to do the setup tomorrow.

Anyway, two questions that I have not been able to locate answers for:

1. What HTIB system is this HT-RC270 bundled in?? The older RC160 was bundled in the HT-S7200, and the speakers I'm sure aren't THX-certified. Does the HTIB with the HT-RC270 have THX-certified speakers? I'm trying to decide if I should insist that they replace the speakers too.....

2. Is there an easy way to decode the firmware code currently on this system? I understand that the latest code on the menus is 1041-0800-0010-2103. I cannot find a manufacturer date on the box or receiver, but assume it would be up-to-date. It was shipped from Onkyo.

After 6 months of pure frustration, I'm looking forward to enjoying this unit. I hope this one works better.
post #462 of 721 Old 03-15-2011, 08:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 400
The HT-RC270 wasn't bundled with any HTIB system. It is basically the equivalent of the NR708 which wasn't bundled with a HTIB either.

Its just a good standalone receiver.

Afro GT
post #463 of 721 Old 03-15-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcuster View Post

Just received my HT-RC270 today that replaced my defective Onkyo HT-RC160. (Long story behind this manufacturer replacement BTW.... 6 months in an "authorized" (now defunct) service center and couldn't be repaired...) So I essentially have the HTIB HT-S7200 speakers and replacement RC270 receiver. Plan to do the setup tomorrow.

Anyway, two questions that I have not been able to locate answers for:

1. What HTIB system is this HT-RC270 bundled in?? The older RC160 was bundled in the HT-S7200, and the speakers I'm sure aren't THX-certified. Does the HTIB with the HT-RC270 have THX-certified speakers? I'm trying to decide if I should insist that they replace the speakers too.....

2. Is there an easy way to decode the firmware code currently on this system? I understand that the latest code on the menus is 1041-0800-0010-2103. I cannot find a manufacturer date on the box or receiver, but assume it would be up-to-date. It was shipped from Onkyo.

After 6 months of pure frustration, I'm looking forward to enjoying this unit. I hope this one works better.

I'm not sure what are you are talking about. RC270 is a standalone network A/V receiver and it doesn't come with any speaker!
post #464 of 721 Old 03-15-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new04quest View Post

I'm not sure what are you are talking about. RC270 is a standalone network A/V receiver and it doesn’t come with any speaker!

Answered by afrogt - THANKS! Sorry for the confusion. Some of these AVRs in the past were bundled in HTIB systems - such as my previous HT-RC160 which I purchased in the HT-S7200 HTIB package. I'm just wondering if upgrading my speakers to THX-certified ones is worth it.....
post #465 of 721 Old 03-15-2011, 09:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Upgrading your speakers to something other than Onkyo may be worth it. Speakers are not their strong point. I don't think the THX certification matters as long as you buy quality speakers.

Afro GT
post #466 of 721 Old 03-15-2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Upgrading your speakers to something other than Onkyo may be worth it. Speakers are not their strong point. I don't think the THX certification matters as long as you buy quality speakers.

That's what I thought re: speakers. Do you have any comment on the firmware question? Does the HT-RC270 give a firmware date on the OSD?

If you answer, you'll have 12,300 posts - WOW!
post #467 of 721 Old 03-15-2011, 11:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I wouldn't know about the firmware, I don't have that receiver.

I'm sure somebody in this thread knows.

Afro GT
post #468 of 721 Old 03-16-2011, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_muggle View Post

I am so glad you mentioned this, I had no idea. The app works great, even shows album art for pandora. Too bad nothing for android.

Thanks!

Don't own an android device - and have no personal experience with it either. Though how about this - http://www.avforums.com/forums/onkyo...ting-iscp.html
post #469 of 721 Old 03-16-2011, 01:32 AM

Quote:

Just received my HT-RC270 today

I understand that the latest code on the menus is 1041-0800-0010-2103. I cannot find a manufacturer date on the box or receiver, but assume it would be up-to-date.

That is the latest update - I had to manually update mine and I now have the same version. When I manually try to upgrade the firmware it tells me I have the latest version already.
post #470 of 721 Old 03-16-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:

That's what I thought re: speakers. Do you have any comment on the firmware question? Does the HT-RC270 give a firmware date on the OSD?

If you answer, you'll have 12,300 posts - WOW!

I'm almost guaranteed that all new RC2700 included the latest firmware. I bought my RC270 several months ago, and it included the lattest firmware. If it is not, you can simply update it through USB or Internet. If you don't want to mess around with USB files, the easiest way to update is through Internet.
In your other post, you’re looking good speaker system to go along with it. If you are looking for small/compact home theater speaker system in the box, I highly recommended the Orb Audio. I installed one system for my friend a couple years ago. It blew away my wife Bose 7.1 system. It looks a lot nicer than Bose too.

For me, I like the floor standing speaker and separate powered subwoofer system. The bigger system is better for me. My wife and most ladies hate the floor standing speaker and powered subwoofer. It does take up a lot of space. For me, the sound quality outweighs the clutter!

Sorry for disappointed you. I jointed this site almost as long as John, but I don't have 12,300 posts.
post #471 of 721 Old 03-16-2011, 08:27 AM

I actually have the Onkyo HT-RC260, but I figured this question isn't that model specific.

Is there any benefit to hooking up all components to the AV receiver instead of through the TV with an optical running from the TV to the receiver?

I'm not needing to upscale any components, and the optical out to receiver provided the easiest integration into my current home theater setup.

I know that I don't get the onscreen GUI with this method, but does it affect sound quality or processing?
post #472 of 721 Old 03-16-2011, 08:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Putting your display in between your source and your audio system is the number one hookup mistake out there....

If it works at all? You will generally get downgraded audio at best. Most of the time it won't work or will have some irritating issues with at least some sources.

The optical cable from the TV should only be used for the HDTV's internal tuners.
post #473 of 721 Old 03-16-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzsleeper02 View Post

I actually have the Onkyo HT-RC260, but I figured this question isn't that model specific.

Is there any benefit to hooking up all components to the AV receiver instead of through the TV with an optical running from the TV to the receiver?

I'm not needing to upscale any components, and the optical out to receiver provided the easiest integration into my current home theater setup.

I know that I don't get the onscreen GUI with this method, but does it affect sound quality or processing?

If you don't have any other choice, I am recommending connect the video source directly to HDTV via component video and the audio source directly to A/V receiver via optical. If I remember correctly, I did this on one system at my previous home and the audio/video turned out great. The only draw back is you have to switch A/V receiver to the correct optical source and HDTV to the correct component video source to properly playback audio/video. With this setup, you are connecting both the audio and video directly to the playback processors. In simple term, there is no middle man!
post #474 of 721 Old 03-16-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

Putting your display in between your source and your audio system is the number one hookup mistake out there....

If it works at all? You will generally get downgraded audio at best. Most of the time it won't work or will have some irritating issues with at least some sources.

The optical cable from the TV should only be used for the HDTV's internal tuners.

It works fine so far, and allows the receiver to stay on one input. The TV seems to handle switching between HDMI hookups much faster than the receiver.

I didn't know if there would be a sound degradation with this setup though.
post #475 of 721 Old 03-16-2011, 12:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Your audio will be limited to what your TV can handle. Usually Stereo.

One channel? But your TV is being switched all over the place no? Something has to switch your sources. generally best being the AVR.
post #476 of 721 Old 03-16-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:

It works fine so far, and allows the receiver to stay on one input. The TV seems to handle switching between HDMI hookups much faster than the receiver.

I didn't know if there would be a sound degradation with this setup though.

Please try my suggestion in post #473, and the A/V will be superb.
post #477 of 721 Old 03-16-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new04quest View Post

Please try my suggestion in post #473, and the A/V will be superb.

I'm gonna give the Component -> HDMI -> Receiver -> TV a try first; if I don't like how that works (e.g., I get HDMI handshake issues), then I'll give your way a go.

Thanks for the heads up re: TV only handling stereo...that's something I didn't think of and why I was asking.

I have a Harmony remote, so input switching is really a nonissue--mostly the speed of switching is the problem.
post #478 of 721 Old 03-16-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:

I'm gonna give the Component -> HDMI -> Receiver -> TV a try first; if I don't like how that works (e.g., I get HDMI handshake issues), then I'll give your way a go.

Thanks for the heads up re: TV only handling stereo...that's something I didn't think of and why I was asking.

I have a Harmony remote, so input switching is really a nonissue--mostly the speed of switching is the problem.

Unfortunately, the only 5.1 out of HDTV optical is from the internal tuner and other source is stereo. Here are other options: hdmi to component
post #479 of 721 Old 03-16-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddkalfa View Post

Some quick questions:

1) Does your RC270 "ticks" everytime you turn it on or off, or changes the source? Mine ticks quite loud, just wondering if that was normal ...

2) I tested the USB entrance to play music from my mobile, and it "skips" everyonce in a while (like once or twice each music). These are like 1-second skips, that really ruin the music. I'm sure the problem is not with the mobile (it has been used for music on other USB drives such as my car's sound or other PCs, and never skipped, not even once...). Firmware came already updated. Any hints on what might be the problem?

3) I have networked the receiver with my PC for music streaming, using the "Server" source option on the receiver, and it's working great. However, this way you have to control the music through the receiver, and I'd really rather control the music from my PC. Is there anyway I can do that, wirelessly? How?

Thanks in advance!
Anyone?

Tks!
post #480 of 721 Old 03-16-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:

Some quick questions:

Turning RC270 on/off and switch the sources are normal and it is comparable to my previous Pioneer Elite A/V receiver and it is comparable to other HT devices in the house too. There is no abnormal sound.

Quote:

My RC270 play music through USB from external devices fine and no skip.

Quote:

Thanks in advance!

I don't understand your question completely. I streams music on my server fine. I can select any available songs using RC270 wireless remote.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page