0.08%, 2 channels driven, FTC)
100 W + 100 W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.08%,
2 channels driven, FTC)

RC370:
100 W + 100 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz,
130 W + 130 W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.1%,
2 channels driven, FTC)

But you are correct IMO its not enough of an upgrade (useable that is) for me to even doubt my purchase. By the time that 4K sets become resonable it will probably be time for an upgrade. Im not that big into Apple connectivity as by Boxee Box can manage my media and most of my media is available within my network so I can accesses it via the OSD.

I have to say I am very happy with the RC270, and have been hitting a lucky streak with the WAF (she really liked the internet radio\
etworking features).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 721 Old 04-06-2011, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

The only reason I said this about the amp is the following:

RC270:
100 W + 110 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz,
100 W + 100 W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.08%,
2 channels driven, FTC)

RC370:
100 W + 100 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz,
130 W + 130 W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.1%,
2 channels driven, FTC)

But you are correct IMO its not enough of an upgrade (useable that is) for me to even doubt my purchase. By the time that 4K sets become resonable it will probably be time for an upgrade. Im not that big into Apple connectivity as by Boxee Box can manage my media and most of my media is available within my network so I can accesses it via the OSD.

I have to say I am very happy with the RC270, and have been hitting a lucky streak with the WAF (she really liked the internet radio\
etworking features).

I see. Makes sense. I feel the same way about the RC270. It would be nice to have the upgraded video processing & Audyssey, but I'm very happy with what I have for what I paid. My wife is enjoying the streaming capabilities also. No longer, do I have to have three pieces of hardware going inorder to play Pandora or music from our PC. We also love the Dynamic volume & eq features of Audyssey. We hardly listen at reference level & those two features have been a Godsend for our tv listening experience.
post #543 of 721 Old 04-06-2011, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

Anybody know, how I can improve the sound quality on Zone 2?
I bought a pair Sony SPF-5000 (Floorstanding speakers) and I installed as Zone 2, when I activate the zone 2, the quality on zone 2 is poor and I cant equalize or improve the sound with Tone (Bass, Treble).
I hope that somebody solved this issue, I will appreciate your help.

Some personal Tips:
1. The people that have problem of noise or induction, try to unplug the CATV of the reciever or TV and check if the noise dissapear. (I solve this with a noise filter)
2. I bought the "ORemote" app of Iphone, so I can control remotly my Onkyo reciever, using my local WiFi. Is great!
3. I have conected my computer using "Philips SWV3435S/17 HDMI Cable (25 feet)" and work fine.
post #544 of 721 Old 04-09-2011, 03:03 PM

I have a 5.1 setup. When watching tv through Dish Network box, can I set it to 2 channel stereo, or will it automatically set itself to whatever the show was recording in?
post #545 of 721 Old 04-09-2011, 10:15 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcmkx2000 View Post
I have a 5.1 setup. When watching tv through Dish Network box, can I set it to 2 channel stereo, or will it automatically set itself to whatever the show was recording in?
You can change it in the (audio adjust) settings so that it play every show with stereo sound or you can select stereo sound for each show using (listening mode) on the remote control.
post #546 of 721 Old 04-09-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agusting View Post
Hi,

Anybody know, how I can improve the sound quality on Zone 2?
I bought a pair Sony SPF-5000 (Floorstanding speakers) and I installed as Zone 2, when I activate the zone 2, the quality on zone 2 is poor and I cant equalize or improve the sound with Tone (Bass, Treble).
I hope that somebody solved this issue, I will appreciate your help.

Some personal Tips:
1. The people that have problem of noise or induction, try to unplug the CATV of the reciever or TV and check if the noise dissapear. (I solve this with a noise filter)
2. I bought the "ORemote" app of Iphone, so I can control remotly my Onkyo reciever, using my local WiFi. Is great!
3. I have conected my computer using "Philips SWV3435S/17 HDMI Cable (25 feet)" and work fine.
You might want to re-check your zone 2 setup on page 68 of your owner manual.
post #547 of 721 Old 04-13-2011, 12:20 PM

I'm curious about opinions on the 270 vs. the new 609. I'm upgrading from a 606 that's had the HDMI Board fail. I *could* probably repair it, but...

Anyway, due to the networking upgrades, the 609 looks a lot like last years's 708/270. Either the 270 or 609 meet my basic feature list (need at least 4 hdmi, output is to HDMI, so I need analog scaling for Wii, want networking features).

So, the 270 Has MultEQ going for it. I've been a bad AV user and haven't really used the auto-setup features before (Either on my old pioneer, or the 606) but I see *many* here on the forums saying MultEQ is really a big deal. Aside from that, there aren't many features that the 270 has (that I would put to use) that the 609 does not.

Conversely, the 609 has "internet radio", which I could see using, and iPod through USB, which I'd also use. There's also the difference in upscaling - Marvell vs DCDi. Finally, there's "on screen remote programming" (which I doubt I care much about..).

So, I'm curious as to opinions of the two. Right now, prices are similar (when one can find the 609), unless I go for a mint used 270, which would save a bit.

Also - in principle, I'm not sure why the 270 (or the 708) can't do "internet radio" or "ipod through USB" as the connectivity is there for both features. Is it just that there's not a built-in interface in these two to support these features? (EDIT: Note that I was comparing based on the compare tool at OnkyoUSA.com, I see from looking back at the description at the head of the thread that these features are both supported, so it seems like the 270 is mostly a win over the 609 it's MultEQ as a plus vs. not having the Marvell 4K upscaler).

Thanks for any opinions/thoughts!
post #548 of 721 Old 04-13-2011, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 83
The 270/708 do have networking. The possess the same internet radio stations that the 609 has(ex. Pandora). The 270 has Multi EQ(better auto sound equaliztion) where the 609 doesen't. The 609 will have the slightly better video scaler. The 270 has a little more power, but that might not matter depending on the size of your room & speakers. There probably are a few more diffrences. The 609 might be better at scaling & processing video, but the 270 will probably tbe he better sounding amp of the two. It just depends on what matters the most to you.
post #549 of 721 Old 04-13-2011, 12:48 PM

Yep. Note my EDIT - I realized the Internet radio and iPod issues after I posted. Onkyo's comparison app doesn't show these features, but when you look at the actual product page or manual, they're there. The real difference is down to Audio setup/processing vs. Video processing. I just upgraded to 1080 on my PJ and only have one analog video source that I really care about (the Wii). I doubt I care much about the 4K processing...I'm sure DCDi will be fine.
post #550 of 721 Old 04-13-2011, 08:29 PM

My remote doesn't operate the receiver any more. I reset it, tried new batteries and even tried programming another remote, and nothing works. The front panel controls work fine, but no remote functions. Is there some kind of reset for these receivers? Any suggestions?
post #551 of 721 Old 04-14-2011, 04:08 AM

WTF? It works this morning!
post #552 of 721 Old 04-14-2011, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbshelton View Post

My remote doesn't operate the receiver any more. I reset it, tried new batteries and even tried programming another remote, and nothing works. The front panel controls work fine, but no remote functions. Is there some kind of reset for these receivers? Any suggestions?

Quote:

Were there any other IR sources operating in the room when you had your remote "failure"? Like a 3D TV in 3D mode (IR emitter), or a plasma TV in a new location? Has anything changed state-wise between your two posting times? i.e. have you tried listening to or watching the same material now that the remote works again? In other words, try to do everything exactly the same as when your remote failed.

Might be just a random bugaboo, though.

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #553 of 721 Old 04-14-2011, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:

If you have a different IR remote and this happens again try to see if that remote acts the same. It could be a number of things including (as shinksma said) IR interference, a remote going bad, the receivier's IR sensor goign bad, ect ect. Without doing a thurough troubleshooting session it would be ahrd to tell what is causing the issue.
post #554 of 721 Old 04-14-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:

If you haven't added any new wireless item in the house lately, I bet that one of the buttons inside the remote control got stuck, and it released itself after a while. It happened to me with my Bluetooth keyboard. I'm ready to toss it out the door. I decided to take the keyboard apart. One of the key on the bottom was sticky. The top button was fine, and I can never tell by pressing on the top button. It happened to my friend HDTV remote once too. He couldn't get it to work. I tried the last option for him, which is drop test. It worked afterward. I learned the drop test from experiences in high-tech line of works. Drop test is one of the processes to qualify NPI electronics.

If you run out of option, drop test might be all you need. We usually drop it from waist high. If you don’t want to damage the outer case, you can drop it on the rubber mat or something soft.
post #555 of 721 Old 04-14-2011, 07:58 PM

There were no new equipment changes or differences when the remote wasn't working. I even tried unplugging and shorting across the plug terminals to dissipate static electricity. I don't think it was a stuck key. Guess after it being off all night "fixed" it. Still working great and the satellite remote I programmed for a test works fine too. Guess I'll just have to see if it holds up and try more troubleshooting if/when it happens again. Thanks for now.
post #556 of 721 Old 04-14-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
There were no new equipment changes or differences when the remote wasn't working. I even tried unplugging and shorting across the plug terminals to dissipate static electricity. I don't think it was a stuck key. Guess after it being off all night "fixed" it. Still working great and the satellite remote I programmed for a test works fine too. Guess I'll just have to see if it holds up and try more troubleshooting if/when it happens again. Thanks for now.
Hi dbshelton .. Hate to tell you that, my RC270 did exactly the same thing, the remote would stop working with the receiver. A few days later, the receiver died completely, went back to amazon .. Wish you the best of luck ..
post #557 of 721 Old 04-15-2011, 04:04 AM

Looks bad. Remote doesn't work again. Guess it is probably terminal.
post #558 of 721 Old 04-15-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:

Your best bet might be to contact Onkyo or the place where you purchased the RC270 and request for a new remote. If the new remote still act the same way, you're probably bought a lemon unit.
post #559 of 721 Old 04-15-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddkalfa View Post

Hi dbshelton .. Hate to tell you that, my RC270 did exactly the same thing, the remote would stop working with the receiver. A few days later, the receiver died completely, went back to amazon .. Wish you the best of luck ..

That's suck. At least you bought it from Amazon, they're very easy to return stuff and their is no return shipping cost to you either. They'll probably replace it for you. Good luck.
post #560 of 721 Old 04-15-2011, 07:34 AM

I love my 270 - I have not had any problems thus far. I do questions if I am making the best use of of my Ipod. I currently have it ported with the onkyo upa1. However - I do not get anything on the screen as far a menu to browse through my music. I am able to use the remote to change music and move to the different playlists on the actual IPOD but it makes it difficult to scroll when you are a distance from the receiver. It does play video's on to TV. I was able to scroll through the selections on the TV when I have my Pioneer Elite - not sure if Onkyo offers the same functions. I have the 270 hooked up to a Panasonic VT25 -with Focal 836's.

Thanks for any advice.
post #561 of 721 Old 04-15-2011, 07:50 AM

If the remote was bad, the other remote I programmed should work, right? It works when the original does.
Would updating the firmware be a good idea?
post #562 of 721 Old 04-15-2011, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:

If the remote was bad, the other remote I programmed should work, right? It works when the original does.

Are you behind in firmware updates? If so then you can always try that. 1st rule is usually upgrade the firmware as that is what most lowlevel CS reps will have you do. Also are you doing anything else when it stops working (3D viewing, ect)...
post #563 of 721 Old 04-15-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:

Good point. If you haven't update the firmware, you can give it a try and here is an easy procedure to update it: Firmware Update for the TX-NR708/808/1008 & HT-RC270
post #564 of 721 Old 04-15-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:

Similar things are happening on the TX-NR708 thread.
post #565 of 721 Old 04-15-2011, 01:42 PM

This may be more of a networking question but:
1) Any tips on using Rhapsody through this recvr? Right now I'm at a dead end although I haven't spent too much time troubleshooting.
2) Any tips on using WinAmp pro ? Works great with WMP11...but I use Winamp to manage my 2TB of FLAC files.
My connection good,CAT5E. Does it have something to do with the DNLA protocol?

Any tips would be appreciated. Other than this issue I love this recvr.
Running Infinity Betas all around in 5-channel. I like concert Blurays and this is a huge step up from my older budget recvr.
post #566 of 721 Old 04-15-2011, 05:31 PM

Need an honest response.

I'm looking at upgrading to a 3-d ready receiver. On the Forum selling page a guy is selling his Denon AVR-891. I'm also looking at the HT-RC270.

Is there a big difference between these? I've never had a Denon, my current one is an Onkyo.

Any insight would be a big help.
post #567 of 721 Old 04-15-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtSaunders View Post

This may be more of a networking question but:
1) Any tips on using Rhapsody through this recvr? Right now I'm at a dead end although I haven't spent too much time troubleshooting.
2) Any tips on using WinAmp pro ? Works great with WMP11...but I use Winamp to manage my 2TB of FLAC files.
My connection good,CAT5E. Does it have something to do with the DNLA protocol?

Any tips would be appreciated. Other than this issue I love this recvr.
Running Infinity Betas all around in 5-channel. I like concert Blurays and this is a huge step up from my older budget recvr.

You might want to check out information for FLAC and DNLA on page 63 of your owner manual.
post #568 of 721 Old 04-17-2011, 10:28 AM

I am having trouble deciding which listening mode is the best for movies.

I have a Blu Ray player, HDMI connections, 7.1, and I don't know which Listening Mode is the best. There are so many to choose from, Dolby 2, DTS, Audyssey, THX, etc.

Which Listening Mode is the best one to go with?
post #569 of 721 Old 04-17-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new04quest View Post

You might want to check out information for FLAC and DNLA on page 63 of your owner manual.

OK, after fw update everything works except FLAC playback. The files are identified but show "MP3 1 bit-44KHz" and skips to the next file it can read(MP3 or WAV). Anybody able to play FLACs on this recvr?
post #570 of 721 Old 04-17-2011, 11:15 AM

Been working fine again with just a glitch here and there, but I'm just not happy with this unit. Amazon agreed to take it back. Now looking for something else.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page