Onkyo HT-RC270 Official thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 721 Old 12-31-2010, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ordered mine yesterday, and should be here on Monday. Looking forward to this one...been waiting a while to really be able to listen to some of the new codecs, and really put my speakers to some good use. I don't have too many to hook up....no where near anything like uscpsycho has been dealing with.

I am looking forward to using Pandora and Slacker. I have read a few places about being able to network with a Mac, so I will have to see how that will work out as well. Also glad to have saved a decent bit over the 708 to use towards a new amp as well (that I still need to figure out how to explain to the wife).

Hope everyone is enjoying theirs and happy new year to all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 721 Old 12-31-2010, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscpsycho View Post

Rather than introduce a switch my TV has four HDMI inputs so I'm going to use those over ARC for both DVRs. I assume the ARC audio is just as good as plugging the DVRs directly into the receiver? I don't know much about ARC other than I got it to work.

Anyone know? Do you lose anything by passing the audio signal back to the receiver by ARC?
post #33 of 721 Old 12-31-2010, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Anyone know? Do you lose anything by passing the audio signal back to the receiver by ARC?

You should be fine. ARC is just pulling the audio back through the HDMI cable. It would be just like having a digital cable plugged in.

Mike

Where am I with my HT build?

Still Dreaming! But I built a shed!
post #34 of 721 Old 12-31-2010, 10:06 PM

Finally picked up some banana plugs:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=120635130807

Now need some good speaker wires. Any recos?
post #35 of 721 Old 01-01-2011, 05:52 AM

Hi guys, how do I get a good calibration of my speakers and receiver setup?
Any good guides?

Below is my setup (to-be):
Receiver - Onkyo RC-270
Speakers:
CF-70 pair
CC5 - Center
CR10 - Surround
ESW-C10

I am wanting to understand the connectivity options, cross overs etc. Thanks in advance.
post #36 of 721 Old 01-01-2011, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by turrmoil View Post

Hi guys, how do I get a good calibration of my speakers and receiver setup?
Any good guides?

I am wanting to understand the connectivity options, cross overs etc. Thanks in advance.

Hi turrmoil, happy New Year.

If you haven't yet, read up on "Audyssey Setup Guide".
post #37 of 721 Old 01-01-2011, 06:59 AM

Liked: 16
All good things must come to an end. So did the Amazon sale.
post #38 of 721 Old 01-01-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi turrmoil, happy New Year.

If you haven't yet, read up on "Audyssey Setup Guide".

Thankyou JChin... happy new year to you as well.
Thanks for the link... keeps me busy for sometime now... LOL!!
post #39 of 721 Old 01-01-2011, 09:41 AM

hi folks, im brand new to the forums so please be kind. I purchased this reciever last week and just got around to setting it up... everything works great through the hdmi ports, dvr, bd but the ps3 to game input is just about killing me. Ive tried various setups through the ps3 and the reciever to get a clear video signal through to the monitor but its just a snow flicker with periodic ps3 screen appearing.... any tips anyone, please? im about ready to return this thing and go back to a sony reciever.
post #40 of 721 Old 01-01-2011, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi-fi boy View Post

hi folks, im brand new to the forums so please be kind. I purchased this reciever last week and just got around to setting it up... everything works great through the hdmi ports, dvr, bd but the ps3 to game input is just about killing me. Ive tried various setups through the ps3 and the reciever to get a clear video signal through to the monitor but its just a snow flicker with periodic ps3 screen appearing.... any tips anyone, please? im about ready to return this thing and go back to a sony reciever.

Have you tried a different cable? Checked the settings on your PS3? Tried a different input on the receiver?

Mike

post #41 of 721 Old 01-01-2011, 10:37 AM

I got mine on Thursday from Newegg for $399.99. I was worried about the purchased. What was I worried about. It out perform my Denon 2809Ci by a mile. Unlike the Denon, it actually have a pass through features that brings out the best in my Epson PJ. For that price, it was a steal. I am still playing with it and comparing it to the Denon.
post #42 of 721 Old 01-01-2011, 02:20 PM

I upgraded the firmware and now the Netowork option is no longer grayed out.

I have to say I'm quite impressed right off the bat. I haven't tried out any networking features yet (I might not be so impressed once I do) but the receiver picked up an IP address from my router with amazing ease.

I say this because my network is not in the range of 192.168.x.x which is the default on everything. I'm in a range that is totally different. For most devices, at minimum, I have to manually set the Gateway and DNS Server IP addresses to my router's address. And sometimes it takes more elbow grease to get things running smoothly. Somehow this receiver found the router on it's own and picked up an IP address from the DHCP server.

I've never seen a networking device that did this. I didn't even know this was even possible. My router is older than dirt and doesn't have any of today's advanced "automatic" configuration features built into it. It's very old school.

I've seen a lot of people wanting to pull their hair out in frustration with Onkyo receiver networking problems so I don't know if I'm in the clear quite yet. Headaches may be forthcoming. But I just had to say how impressed I was with this. I wish all networking gear was able to smoothly integrate into my unorthodox network environment as this receiver did!
post #43 of 721 Old 01-01-2011, 08:43 PM

Anyone tried setting up an internet audio station yet?
post #44 of 721 Old 01-03-2011, 09:27 PM

I was lucky enough to get in on the Amazon deal for this. I've been using the older Sr604 which has worked great for me. Just got the 270 in the mail today. I have a Mitsubishi 3800 1080p projector and 12 ft ceilings. I need a 50ft hdmi cable, which I already purchased, to run from this receiver to my projector. I have heard of problems with Onkyo hdmi outputs with long hdmi cables. Has anyone had issues with this or know of the best solutions. I have seen a signal booster that connects to the receiver and then you hook up your cable to it. Any help would be appreciated.
post #45 of 721 Old 01-03-2011, 10:44 PM

I'm trying to use the networking capabilities of the receiver to stream music from my Mac to the receiver. I am able to see the files on my computer. Sometimes I can play the songs but other times the song shows up but doesn't play. I am using medialink as my DLNA server on the Mac. Anyone else had more success with streaming music from a Mac to the Onkyo 270? If so what DLNA program are you using on your Mac? Thanks.
post #46 of 721 Old 01-04-2011, 12:36 AM

I was lucky to get the Amazon deal. Replaced by old Pioneer AVR. What an awesome sound this 270 has. Got most of the stuff working except streaming via iTunes.

I am able to stream music (stored on a PC) from 270 and also stream from the Windows Media Player on the PC. But I am not able to stream music from iTunes to the reciever. Can someone help if you've got iTunes streaming running?
post #47 of 721 Old 01-04-2011, 05:18 AM

Mine arrived yesterday and after a quick look, everything looks ok. I probably won't have chance to set it up until tonight or tomorrow night. And then, I probably won't really have a chance to run Audyssey until Thursday at the earliest. The bummer #1 is that I have to go out of town next week for work - I hope to get a chance to enjoy it some over the weekend. Bummer #2 is that my sub had been giving me a constant scratchy hissing noise, and I was going to take it in - I had been told this was most likely a capacitor. I will give the sub a quick test with the Onkyo and if the symptoms re-appear, then I will take it in for service.

A quick question regarding Audyssey. If I go ahead and run the calibration with all of my speakers, and then add the sub, will I need to re-run it with the sub? I didn't know if should just wait until I have my sub working to run the Audyssey calibration.
post #48 of 721 Old 01-04-2011, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmur View Post

A quick question regarding Audyssey. If I go ahead and run the calibration with all of my speakers, and then add the sub, will I need to re-run it with the sub? I didn't know if should just wait until I have my sub working to run the Audyssey calibration.

Yes, anytime you make a change to the system (including moving the speaker), you need to rerun Audyssey.

I would go ahead and run it without the sub to get familiar with it. Then you can ask any questions about it before running it with your sub.

Mike

post #49 of 721 Old 01-04-2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappascw View Post

Anyone tried setting up an internet audio station yet?

I also got in on the Amazon deal and recieved mine yesterday. Everything was going smoothly until I tried to connect to the network. I have the DCHP enabled and the 270 is able to identify an IP address, but when I try to connect to an internet station I get an error that the "ethernet cable is not connected". Anyone have insight on what else I may doing wrong?
post #50 of 721 Old 01-04-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine1971 View Post

I was lucky enough to get in on the Amazon deal for this. I've been using the older Sr604 which has worked great for me. Just got the 270 in the mail today. I have a Mitsubishi 3800 1080p projector and 12 ft ceilings. I need a 50ft hdmi cable, which I already purchased, to run from this receiver to my projector. I have heard of problems with Onkyo hdmi outputs with long hdmi cables. Has anyone had issues with this or know of the best solutions. I have seen a signal booster that connects to the receiver and then you hook up your cable to it. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm running a 30' HDMI cable to my projector and it seems to working without any issues.
post #51 of 721 Old 01-04-2011, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb103 View Post

I also got in on the Amazon deal and recieved mine yesterday. Everything was going smoothly until I tried to connect to the network. I have the DCHP enabled and the 270 is able to identify an IP address, but when I try to connect to an internet station I get an error that the "ethernet cable is not connected". Anyone have insight on what else I may doing wrong?

Try a different cable. The Onkyos seem to be a little picky in this regard.

If that doesn't work, have you updated the firmware?

Mike

post #52 of 721 Old 01-04-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2Photos View Post

If that doesn't work, have you updated the firmware?

Thanks for the response and input.

I was thinking about the cable, but thought that if the receiver was able to pull in the IP address that the cable is working. Is that a bad asssumption?

I wanted to do the firmware update using my internet connection rather than the USB, so no I haven't tried that yet. From what I could tell, the firmware update shouldn't have a big impact on internet connectivity. Maybe I will try it anyway.
post #53 of 721 Old 01-04-2011, 09:32 AM

I picked this receiver up on Amazon and received it yesterday and today when I go and run Audyssey it's picking up 2 surround right rears so Audyssey fails. I checked the cables and they are all correctly connected. Did I receive a dud?

PS But when I go to level calibration settings and go through each individual speaker they are correct.
post #54 of 721 Old 01-04-2011, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDude View Post

I picked this receiver up on Amazon and received it yesterday and today when I go and run Audyssey it's picking up 2 surround right rears so Audyssey fails. I checked the cables and they are all correctly connected. Did I receive a dud?

PS But when I go to level calibration settings and go through each individual speaker they are correct.

Hi AUDude, are you running 5.1 or 7.1? If running 5.1 make sure the two surround speakers are connected to "Surr" and not "Surr Back"
post #55 of 721 Old 01-04-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:

I upgraded the firmware and now the Netowork option is no longer grayed out.

I have to say I'm quite impressed right off the bat. I haven't tried out any networking features yet (I might not be so impressed once I do) but the receiver picked up an IP address from my router with amazing ease.

I say this because my network is not in the range of 192.168.x.x which is the default on everything. I'm in a range that is totally different. For most devices, at minimum, I have to manually set the Gateway and DNS Server IP addresses to my router's address. And sometimes it takes more elbow grease to get things running smoothly. Somehow this receiver found the router on it's own and picked up an IP address from the DHCP server.

I've never seen a networking device that did this. I didn't even know this was even possible. My router is older than dirt and doesn't have any of today's advanced "automatic" configuration features built into it. It's very old school.

I've seen a lot of people wanting to pull their hair out in frustration with Onkyo receiver networking problems so I don't know if I'm in the clear quite yet. Headaches may be forthcoming. But I just had to say how impressed I was with this. I wish all networking gear was able to smoothly integrate into my unorthodox network environment as this receiver did!

STRIKE THAT!

I was initially impressed that the receiver found the correct IP range, router, etc. BUUUUUUT... When using DHCP the receiver sets its IP address to the same IP address of the router. This is a bug in the receiver, there is no way the router is serving its own IP address via DHCP. I've been having all sorts of connection issues the past few days and now I realize it's because I have an IP address conflict on my DNS/Gateway/Router IP address. VERY VERY BAD!!
post #56 of 721 Old 01-04-2011, 01:17 PM

OK, so now on to a new network problem.

I've manually set the networking options. The receiver is on my network, I can access the receiver's control panel from my computer and I can ping the receiver from multiple devices.

However, when I go to the Internet Radio screen and try to connect to any of the options I get "Connection Error."

One thing I noticed is when I go into the Preset Internet Radio settings on the receiver's control panel, all of the URL fields are blank. That's just the way they were, is that normal? I added a manual station and pointed it to pandora.com but that one gets a connection error as well.

Everything else on my network works fine. Any suggestions on what do to here?
post #57 of 721 Old 01-04-2011, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mike

post #58 of 721 Old 01-04-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:

Hi AUDude, are you running 5.1 or 7.1? If running 5.1 make sure the two surround speakers are connected to "Surr" and not "Surr Back"

Thanks JChin. This worked.

I have another issue I can't seem to fix. I am trying to passthrough my cable box (Uverse) but it doesn't seem to work. I get "Check signal cable" but the problem is, it actually works for like 10 secs then I can hear the AVR click like it's changing then I get the message. Tried changing cables to no avail.

I think the issue is, it keeps changing to TV/CD instead of staying on Cab/Sat input. Anyway I can stop it doing this?
post #59 of 721 Old 01-04-2011, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDude View Post

Thanks JChin. This worked.

I have another issue I can't seem to fix. I am trying to passthrough my cable box (Uverse) but it doesn't seem to work. I get "Check signal cable" but the problem is, it actually works for like 10 secs then I can hear the AVR click like it's changing then I get the message. Tried changing cables to no avail.

I think the issue is, it keeps changing to TV/CD instead of staying on Cab/Sat input. Anyway I can stop it doing this?

Check your tv HDMI-CEC setting, if its On turn it to Off.

Some HDMI-CEC trade names: Samsung - AnyNet+, Panasonic - Viera Link, Pioneer - Kuro link, Sony - Bravia Sync, etc....
post #60 of 721 Old 01-04-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:

Check your tv HDMI-CEC setting, if its On turn it to Off.

Some HDMI-CEC trade names: Samsung - AnyNet+, Panasonic - Viera Link, Pioneer - Kuro link, Sony - Bravia Sync, etc....

Cheers once again mate.

Silly question, is there a way to make it always go back to Cab/Sat default? Or do I have to keep switching the input? Having kids, need to make it easiest as possible to get back to Cable for them. If not then, I guess I'll just hook up the Cable box directly to the TV and optical out to AVR.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page