Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 721 Old 05-28-2011, 06:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi Dave, maybe post what model tv you have and how every components are connected.

Hi,

I have the Samsung UN55B8000XF model. I currently have my Samsung TV, Samsung Time Warner cable box, and PS3 connected via HDMI to the Onyko receiver (HT-RC270) and I have my Wii connected via component cable connected to the receiver as well.

Thanks,
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 721 Old 05-28-2011, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyczdave View Post

Hi,

I have the Samsung UN55B8000XF model. I currently have my Samsung TV, Samsung Time Warner cable box, and PS3 connected via HDMI to the Onyko receiver (HT-RC270) and I have my Wii connected via component cable connected to the receiver as well.

Thanks,
David

Connect an optical cable from tv "Digital Audio out" port to receiver "OPT-2" (TV/CD) port, then set "Receiver" to On found under tv menu AnyNet+.
post #633 of 721 Old 06-01-2011, 05:48 AM

Hey everyone,
I'm trying get the front composite inputs configured on the rc270 but am having some weird issues.

When composite device is hooked up to the front of the rc270 and turned on I switch to aux. I get sound and the picture appears for a couple seconds then the picture goes away but the sound remains. If I switch to TV/CD the picture reappears but there is no sound.

I currently only have a cable box hooked assigned to vcr/dvr, and a ps3 hooked to the BD/DVD. Any ideas?
post #634 of 721 Old 06-01-2011, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliteconcept View Post

Hey everyone,
I'm trying get the front composite inputs configured on the rc270 but am having some weird issues.

When composite device is hooked up to the front of the rc270 and turned on I switch to aux. I get sound and the picture appears for a couple seconds then the picture goes away but the sound remains. If I switch to TV/CD the picture reappears but there is no sound.

I currently only have a cable box hooked assigned to vcr/dvr, and a ps3 hooked to the BD/DVD. Any ideas?

Hi eliteconcept, posible because HDMI Input under "Aux" is assign to "Front HDMI" as default, try setting it to none.
post #635 of 721 Old 06-01-2011, 06:52 AM

Jchin
thanks for the suggestion but when I look at the input/output assign and then hdmi the FRONT hdmi option is greyed out.

I've also tried to run a cable from the back of the reciever monitor out to the tv to see if that would help passthough the signal..no dice audio works fine, video comes up for 3-5 seconds then leaves. This is with 2 different sets of cables too..
post #636 of 721 Old 06-01-2011, 09:18 AM

figured it out...for some reason if pure audio is turned on it causes the video to display only for a few seconds then disappear.
turn of pure audio and now all is fine.
post #637 of 721 Old 06-02-2011, 04:48 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekro View Post

Hey guys I was totally ready to pull the trigger on this receiver from Amazon, then it went up $40, sigh.

That said, I think I want to pick this thing up before they're completely gone, considering I don't want to pay the premium for the newer models.

Accessories4less has it for about $100 bucks cheaper factory reconditioned, than Amazon's current price brand new, what would you do?

I really didn't want to spend more than about $500 out the door, but I need pre-outs, and I love the Pandora/Slacker option. Any other suggestions for those features at that price point?

Thanks!

Do not buy this model is a corpse full of problems
post #638 of 721 Old 06-02-2011, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Garcia View Post

Do not buy this model is a corpse full of problems

Is this a serious post? I and many others have had this receiver with no issues.
post #639 of 721 Old 06-02-2011, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Is this a serious post? I and many others have had this receiver with no issues.
Very, very seriously, I have this unit and there is no way to fix it, not only that, but that the problem with the remote control and the freezing of the unit, is happenning with other models Onkyo - Integra, such as the 80.2, as well as there is a group of owners with no problem, there is another group full of problems and Onkyo does not give a clear and definitive solution to the problems . I found a connector within the unit with samples of rust and liquid (I canĀ“t say which type of liquid it is), I cleaned everything but the problem persists, there are people who sent the unit to repair to the Centre of service indicated by Onkyo - Integra, and after a few days the problem appears again.
post #640 of 721 Old 06-02-2011, 07:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
I really didn't want to spend more than about $500 out the door, but I need pre-outs, and I love the Pandora/Slacker option. Any other suggestions for those features at that price point?
Yamaha RX-V867
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V867...7023602&sr=8-1

Afro GT
post #641 of 721 Old 06-08-2011, 03:48 PM

Besides the issue I had which was cleared up with a Firmware update, I have had ZERO issues with mine and it is an awesome receiver for the $400 range. Even top of the line BMW's, Mercedes, Ferrari all have issues. Nothing is 100% trouble free.

I was adjusting the Hz settings. Is the lower number better or the higher number? I seen the THX setting is around 80.
post #642 of 721 Old 06-09-2011, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adept777 View Post
Hey! I have the exact same problem!!!! Mine just started to give me this problem.. and I bought mine last December only!!!! Were you able to get to the bottom of this?? I bought mine from Amazon too. Thanks!!!
After having mine serviced the issue arose again last week -- random switching of audio and no response to power button or remote. This happened in PS3 mode and CBL mode. I wrote back to Onkyo and no response. The issue then cleared up.

The tech had told me it won't reappear although at first he had no idea what caused it until he contacted Onkyo and they mentioned the oxidation issue.

This is my first Onkyo and very dissappointed. Not sure i want to bring it back just yet as the drive to the closest tech costs much in gas and Onkyo only pays for shipping back to you. Soon I'd be spending as much in gas/shipping than the unit cost on sale.
post #643 of 721 Old 06-09-2011, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbear View Post
Besides the issue I had which was cleared up with a Firmware update, I have had ZERO issues with mine and it is an awesome receiver for the $400 range. Even top of the line BMW's, Mercedes, Ferrari all have issues. Nothing is 100% trouble free.

I was adjusting the Hz settings. Is the lower number better or the higher number? I seen the THX setting is around 80.
This is not a small problem is a massive problem that affects many models from Onkyo, Integra and many people, cross your fingers and pray that your unit does not fail.
Please check this thread and do not panic
The "OFFICIAL" Onkyo RC270, NR708,NR808, NR1008, NR5008, Integra 80.2 Failure Thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1339186

Jorge
post #644 of 721 Old 06-09-2011, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmo907 View Post
After having mine serviced the issue arose again last week -- random switching of audio and no response to power button or remote. This happened in PS3 mode and CBL mode. I wrote back to Onkyo and no response. The issue then cleared up.

The tech had told me it won't reappear although at first he had no idea what caused it until he contacted Onkyo and they mentioned the oxidation issue.

This is my first Onkyo and very dissappointed. Not sure i want to bring it back just yet as the drive to the closest tech costs much in gas and Onkyo only pays for shipping back to you. Soon I'd be spending as much in gas/shipping than the unit cost on sale.
Please put your experiences on this forum, we need your help to get a solution and get some respect from this company (Onkyo-Integra)

The "OFFICIAL" Onkyo RC270, NR708,NR808, NR1008, NR5008, Integra 80.2 Failure Thread

Jorge
post #645 of 721 Old 06-09-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Garcia View Post
This is not a small problem is a massive problem that affects many models from Onkyo, Integra and many people, cross your fingers and pray that your unit does not fail.
Please check this thread and do not panic

Jorge
From what I read, it appears the RC270 has much less problems than the other models you mentioned. Either way, if it dies, I have the warranty on it.

I still have a Samsung 61" DLP - running for 5 years - original lamp.

On the other hand, I bought the top of the line Sony Blu-Ray player and the thing died in 1 year.

Electronics are hit and miss, especially since they outsource so many parts. A simple manufacturing defect can make the unit problematic. Hopefully Onkyo backs up and fixes the problem.
post #646 of 721 Old 06-21-2011, 10:43 PM

This past weekend, I upgraded my Onkyo TX-SR806 to the HT-RC270. I did the upgrade primarily because earlier this year I purchased a Sony 3D TV (46NX711) and a Sony 3D Blu-ray player (BX57) and found out that the 806 was not able to pass through the 3D signals from the Blu-ray player to the TV (although it WAS able to pass through the 3D signals from my Scientific Atlanta cable box).

So far, things are running smoothly. However, I am curious about one thing. When I play a Dolby Digital 5.1 source from either my TiVo HD, my Scientific Atlanta 4240 HDC, or my AppleTV 2 (all of which are connected to the HT-RC270 via HDMI cable), the HT-RC270 listening mode automatically switches to "Dolby D." However, when watching a 3D or 2D Blu-ray disc from the Sony Blu-ray player (which also is connected to the HT-RC270 via HDMI cable), the HT-RC270 does not switch to Dolby D. In fact, I can't even find Dolby D as an option when playing from the Blu-ray player. Can anybody explain to me why this is?

Here's my set-up:
  • The HT-RC270 is connected to the Sony TV via HDMI cable. I also have an optical audio cable running from the TV's output to the TV/CD input on the HT-RC270.
  • The Blu-ray player is connected to HDMI 1 and assigned to the BD/DVD input.
  • The TiVo is connected to HDMI 2 and assigned to the VCR/DVR input.
  • The Scientific Atlanta box is connected to HDMI 3 and assigned to the CAB/SAT input.
  • My Wii is connected by component cables to Component 1 and assigned to the Game input. This is the only device I have not yet tested.
  • My AppleTV (2nd generation) is connected to HDMI 5 and assigned to the PC input.
  • I have a 5.1 set-up with Paradigm front and center channels, JBL back channels, and a Paradigm subwoofer.

Incidentally, I also have a Sony 400 disc DVD changer. When I tried connecting it to the HT-RC270 to HDMI 4 and assigning that input to Game (keeping the Wii off), it registered "Dolby D" for the previews on the Up disc, but then switched to THX Cinema when the main feature started.

I'm nearly positive that the Blu-ray player and the 400 disc changer always registered "Dolby D" on my SR806 (at least when I had a Dolby DVD or Blu-ray as the source. So, I'm very confused as to why the HT-RC270 is not behaving the same way. I would greatly appreciate an explanation as to when and why "Dolby D" is automatically selected versus some other listening mode.

Thanks in advance.

Integra DTR 5.4 AV Receiver, Sony KP-46WT510 Wide Screen Projection TV, Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD (Cox Cable), Panasonic DMR-EH50 DVD recorder w/ hard drive, and Logitech Harmony Remote 880.
post #647 of 721 Old 06-22-2011, 08:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Many Blu-ray players are set to decode the audio and send out Multi-channel pcm.

In this proper scenerio you would not get many if any DSP options.
post #648 of 721 Old 06-22-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

Many Blu-ray players are set to decode the audio and send out Multi-channel pcm.

In this proper scenerio you would not get many if any DSP options.

So, what is the best listening mode for me to set on the HT-RC270 under these circumstances?

Integra DTR 5.4 AV Receiver, Sony KP-46WT510 Wide Screen Projection TV, Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD (Cox Cable), Panasonic DMR-EH50 DVD recorder w/ hard drive, and Logitech Harmony Remote 880.
post #649 of 721 Old 06-26-2011, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmo907 View Post

Update: I picked up my receiver (HT RC 270) two weeks ago after being kept for a week and finding no issues per the technician @ Onkyo authorized service centers. Last night system was cycling through the Audio Modes- non stop. Would not respond. I had to unplug leave it unplugged for more than an hour to resolve.

So, I have now decided to get rid of the player and just get me a new one.. something else other than this stupid Onkyo units! I have been a Onkyo fan since 2001 when I first got my HTIB and have been with them ever since, I've had more than 3 different systems before this with no issues. IDK what the hell is going on with them now but this is very disappointing.

Any of guys have any suggestions for a replacement?? Thanks!!
post #650 of 721 Old 06-26-2011, 06:50 AM

Or do you guys think I should get the RC 370 instead?? Thanks!
post #651 of 721 Old 06-26-2011, 08:28 AM

My issue (after the oxidation was apparently cleared up by a tech) appeared agian a few weeks later but is random. Last time it occured I played with the volume control knob and it went away. I sent Onkyo several emails about the costs I have incurred to take it back to tech and they sent me a prepaid UPS label and box to send it back to them in NJ for repair. We will see how that goes.
post #652 of 721 Old 07-08-2011, 04:41 PM

What volume level do most people play their movies with?

I noticed that 73-75 is ideal. Of course room size can make a difference.
post #653 of 721 Old 07-22-2011, 09:59 AM

Just picked up the Onkyo HT-RC270. Screaming deal via Amazon Warehouse Deals, virtually new open box unit for $214 delivered.

Pretty much everything has gone smoothly, although I'm still trying to figure some of the features that didn't exist the last time I went receiver shopping almost a decade ago.

The only serious issue is with my U-Verse box. On just some channels I get an audio "stuttering." This occurs only on some cable channels and only when they are in Dolby D 2.0, not DD 5.1. I get intermittent audio drop outs, sometimes every 30 seconds or so, sometimes every few seconds.
I send the audio through HDMI. I did switch it to optical as a test and it made no difference. The dropouts were still there.
This did not occur with my previous receiver (Harman Kardon AVR 525) which only controlled the audio and had an optical connection.

When the problem occurs, if I hit the "display" button, the input goes from DD 2.0 to "unknown" when the dropout happens and then back to DD 2.0. It's very annoying.

It can be fixed by switching the Uverse box to stereo-only, but then I lose surround sound on all programing. Switching to/from stereo/surround is buried deep in the Uverse menus making it particularly painful.

Certainly, I believe the U-verse box to be the prime culprit. (This doesn't occur with my AppleTV, Bluray or Wii.) HOWEVER, since the problem did not exist with a different receiver, the Onkyo is also doing something wrong.

Any ideas? Suggestions? Solutions?
(Please don't tell me to drop U-verse. That's not an option for several months at least.)

Thanks.
post #654 of 721 Old 07-25-2011, 02:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dang for 2 c-notes it's a steal for sure.

I installed one of these in a dedicated theater last Friday night and man was it impressive. Dual 15" Powered subs and all.

I want one for sure now.
post #655 of 721 Old 07-27-2011, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new04quest View Post

I'm just wondering- did you try another HDMI cable before you returned it? Something like this- Mediabridge Ultra Series I connected my laptop to RC270 using 15' HDMI cable, and I didn't have any problem with it.

Same here - I'm using a 15' hdmi cable as well with no issues.
post #656 of 721 Old 07-27-2011, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adept777 View Post

Or do you guys think I should get the RC 370 instead?? Thanks!

I read some where that the ht 370 is supposed to have a better video chip than the 270. If I have the budget for it I might go for the 370.
post #657 of 721 Old 08-04-2011, 08:46 AM

My receiver keeps powering on by itself. I have reset the receiver and power cycled it a couple of times but it keeps happening. The only thing I have changed recently is that I changed my sub but even when I disconnect the sub, it powers on automatically.

Has anyone come across this issue/ know a solution?
post #658 of 721 Old 08-04-2011, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Sam I think at least a few people have experienced this and reported it here. If I can remember correctly they needed to have the unit serviced or replaced in order to fix it. That was however after going through all of the troubleshooting.
post #659 of 721 Old 08-04-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsaks
My receiver keeps powering on by itself. I have reset the receiver and power cycled it a couple of times but it keeps happening. The only thing I have changed recently is that I changed my sub but even when I disconnect the sub, it powers on automatically.

Many pages back there is a link to the failure thread on a bun ch of different Onkyo receivers. I don't recall the title, but the gist is that Onkyo says they will repair it. You can call them, they will send a box/label, you get it back a while later. Not ideal, but it is what it is.
post #660 of 721 Old 08-04-2011, 11:17 AM
pfp

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsaks View Post

Welcome to the club
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page