Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 721 Old 01-07-2011, 11:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
It amazes me that over the years things have not gotten easier WRT configuring network equipment. The vast majority of people who own this receiver haven't a clue what a gateway, dns or IP address is. How do they figure this stuff out?

If you're using DHCP why would you need to set DNS and Gateway?

Afro GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 721 Old 01-07-2011, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
Hi old_muggle, should work except your sources will require analog cables for zone 2 in addition to your digital connection.
Thanks JChin. I was really enjoying the reduction in cables! I guess I'll add a few back.

Does that mean that I won't be able to get anything that is coming over ethernet to work through the headphones?
post #93 of 721 Old 01-07-2011, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_muggle View Post
Thanks JChin. I was really enjoying the reduction in cables! I guess I'll add a few back.

Does that mean that I won't be able to get anything that is coming over ethernet to work through the headphones?
Ethernet and USB work in Zone 2 so you should be fine there.

Mike

Where am I with my HT build?

Still Dreaming! But I built a shed!
post #94 of 721 Old 01-07-2011, 03:04 PM

It is official, the 50ft hdmi cable does not work. All I get is static noise. The onscreen display from the receiver comes through ok, but when trying to use my PS3 or Cable tv, nothing but static noise. Both are inputted through hdmi to the receiver and out to my projector. I hooked up my old 25 ft hdmi and it worked fine. I ordered a hdmi booster from amazon. It's a powered one, some say they work , some say they don't. For my sake I hope it does , otherwise I will have to move my setup around, which would suck.
post #95 of 721 Old 01-07-2011, 03:28 PM

As a side note, I did hook my sr608 up to it also and got a picture . But not a great one. This receiver must have a low output for hdmi out.
post #96 of 721 Old 01-07-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2Photos View Post

What is your HDMI out set to? Through? 1080p? 720p? Try through and if that doesn't work maybe try turning off the video processor and see if that helps.

press VCR/DVR and RETURN on the AV receiver at the same time. Select
Skip in the VideoProcessor setting on the display.

I originally had the HDMI setting on 1080p. I changed it to "through" and it was a little better (but still bad). I changed the "VideoProcessor" to skip and it still has some jerk.

I am playing the same clip thru the receiver and directly to the TV. The direct connection is much smoother when the video panned across the screen. I am really disappointed with this. I wonder if anyone else notices this issue.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
kwma01
post #97 of 721 Old 01-07-2011, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I am thinking about getting this receiver. I will be coming from an onkyo 605? I probably know alot of stuff already. mostly need more HDMI slots and multichannel.

Jacob
post #98 of 721 Old 01-08-2011, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwma01 View Post

I originally had the HDMI setting on 1080p. I changed it to "through" and it was a little better (but still bad). I changed the "VideoProcessor" to skip and it still has some jerk.

I am playing the same clip thru the receiver and directly to the TV. The direct connection is much smoother when the video panned across the screen. I am really disappointed with this. I wonder if anyone else notices this issue.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
kwma01

Hi kwma01, if the HTPC is running 1080p/24 try changing it to 1080p/60.
post #99 of 721 Old 01-08-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi kwma01, if the HTPC is running 1080p/24 try changing it to 1080p/60.

I think you found the issue. Apparently when my computer was attached to the Onkyo it set the refresh rate at 50hz. I changed it back to 60hz and all seems better now.

Thanks
kwma01
post #100 of 721 Old 01-08-2011, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:

I think you found the issue. Apparently when my computer was attached to the Onkyo it set the refresh rate at 50hz. I changed it back to 60hz and all seems better now.

Thanks
kwma01

Great, note that if your HTPC plays BDs may want to reset it back to 1080p/24, enjoy .
post #101 of 721 Old 01-08-2011, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine1971 View Post

It is official, the 50ft hdmi cable does not work. All I get is static noise. The onscreen display from the receiver comes through ok, but when trying to use my PS3 or Cable tv, nothing but static noise. Both are inputted through hdmi to the receiver and out to my projector. I hooked up my old 25 ft hdmi and it worked fine. I ordered a hdmi booster from amazon. It's a powered one, some say they work , some say they don't. For my sake I hope it does , otherwise I will have to move my setup around, which would suck.

I use a 50 ft cable on a 607 to Sony projector, works great, all cables are not the same.Bought on ebay $30 delivered 24 guage inwall rated.
post #102 of 721 Old 01-08-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo C View Post

I use a 50 ft cable on a 607 to Sony projector, works great, all cables are not the same.Bought on ebay $30 delivered 24 guage inwall rated.

If the booster doesn't work, I will try another cable first, before I give up on it. I have the 608 also and it did get a signal from it, but it was a little grainy. The weird thing is the on screen menu display from the receiver will come up perfectly through the cable, but when you try and get a picture from anything else just static.
post #103 of 721 Old 01-08-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:

If the booster doesn't work, I will try another cable first, before I give up on it. I have the 608 also and it did get a signal from it, but it was a little grainy. The weird thing is the on screen menu display from the receiver will come up perfectly through the cable, but when you try and get a picture from anything else just static.

I got it to work! Looking at the the forums for my projector, there is a setting to adjust cable length. I changed it from 3m to 10+m and it worked. It must change some kind of sensitivity with the projector input.
post #104 of 721 Old 01-08-2011, 06:05 PM

My RC270 came in this week. Everything looks good. Internet radio streams seemlessly, Audyessey worked decently, and my first taste of digital surround was excellent. My old pro logic receiver's preamp clipped horribly in surround mode with every component I tried. I'm still waiting on my plasma. It's overdue, but Amazon gave me a decent refund to make my wait a little easier. In the mean time, I've got a 25' HDMI cable strung across the room so I can use the computer monitor for the Onkyo's menus.

My first "real" receiver was an Onkyo TX-28 almost 30 years ago. My son is still using it at college. I hope this one fares as well as it has.
post #105 of 721 Old 01-08-2011, 09:57 PM

1. Does anyone know why the receiver would cause media center to restart after going into the menus on the receiver. I thought this would not be an issue but it seems that I am in the menus quite a bit and it is really annoying.

2. Is there some way to boost the subwoofer volume? It seems a little low when I am listening to music.

3. What listening modes do you recommend for music and movies?

Thanks
kwma01
post #106 of 721 Old 01-09-2011, 05:51 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I finally got around to doing the Audyssy setup. I'm sorry to say I'm extremely underwhelmed.

There's almost no bass and the surround speakers are way too loud. With music it's like I'm listening to rear stage with front fill. With movies I have to really crank it up to hear the dialogue, no way to listen at moderate volume and hear people talking.

I set the microphone up in four positions when doing the setup. Maybe I'll try six and see how that goes tomorrow.

Anyone else having trouble like this?
post #107 of 721 Old 01-09-2011, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi, Connected my PC via the HDMI input. However, the screen is blue on my TV and the signal is "UNKNOWN" in the source info screen. What did I do wrong? Any one else face this same thing?
LL
LL
post #108 of 721 Old 01-09-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:

1. Does anyone know why the receiver would cause media center to restart after going into the menus on the receiver. I thought this would not be an issue but it seems that I am in the menus quite a bit and it is really annoying.

2. Is there some way to boost the subwoofer volume? It seems a little low when I am listening to music.

3. What listening modes do you recommend for music and movies?

Thanks
kwma01

I found out that the issue with question #1 has been around since Vista. The work around is to make certain that the media center window is not full screen. Keep media center in a window or minimized then you can access the menus on the receiver without having to restart media center.

uscpsycho,
I think your comment regarding lower bass refers to my other two questions above. My wife actually said that she thought my older Kenwood THX receiver sounded better. I would really like a way to give the sound more impact. It seems to be mostly mid-high range.
post #109 of 721 Old 01-09-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:

uscpsycho,
I think your comment regarding lower bass refers to my other two questions above. My wife actually said that she thought my older Kenwood THX receiver sounded better. I would really like a way to give the sound more impact. It seems to be mostly mid-high range.

There are ways to get more punch that by audio adjusting the settings manually. Or if you have a subwoofer by turning it up if it has a volume knob.

But Audyssey is supposed to be the sh*t and I thought I'd hear angels after using it to set my receiver up. I'll try it again but my old Denon had an auto-tuning function that worked much better. Frustrating...
post #110 of 721 Old 01-09-2011, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscpsycho View Post

I finally got around to doing the Audyssy setup. I'm sorry to say I'm extremely underwhelmed.

There's almost no bass and the surround speakers are way too loud. With music it's like I'm listening to rear stage with front fill. With movies I have to really crank it up to hear the dialogue, no way to listen at moderate volume and hear people talking.

I set the microphone up in four positions when doing the setup. Maybe I'll try six and see how that goes tomorrow.

Anyone else having trouble like this?

When I set up my FIL's 5008 I had the exact same problem. Everyone in the 5008 thread tried to convince me that I just like more bass than what is considered "reference". There are a couple of people in that thread that are also underwhelmed. One of them had an older Audyssey microphone and said that the results from it are FAR better than with the new mic. We're starting to wonder if there are some bad mics out there.

Fortunately my FIL absolutely LOVES how his system sounds with Audyssey OFF. So for now it isn't a "problem".

Mike

post #111 of 721 Old 01-09-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:

When I set up my FIL's 5008 I had the exact same problem. Everyone in the 5008 thread tried to convince me that I just like more bass than what is considered "reference". There are a couple of people in that thread that are also underwhelmed. One of them had an older Audyssey microphone and said that the results from it are FAR better than with the new mic. We're starting to wonder if there are some bad mics out there.

Fortunately my FIL absolutely LOVES how his system sounds with Audyssey OFF. So for now it isn't a "problem".

I used the old one from my 608 and had the same thing happen, low bass output. Everything else seemed like it balanced very well. All I did is turn the sub level up manually on the rec and it sounded great. I haven't used the new one yet, but will this week. I'll post how it turns out. I do think most people like more bass than what is considered optimal balanced levels.
post #112 of 721 Old 01-10-2011, 12:38 PM

Am I thinking correctly on hooking up my PC? I have a long run from the PC to the RC270, a little over 20ft routed along the wall.

Video:
25ft HDMI cable which will have a DVI to HDMI adapter on the PC end. It will go into the #5 HDMI input.

Audio:
3.5mm to RCA, also 25ft, to be hooked in to the PC inputs (underneath the universal port). Is this all I will need to do, or will I have to set something up in the menu? If this is the way it needs to be, I'll need to order that 25' cable ASAP. Hopefully my plasma will be delivered Wednesday night and I can get everything situated.
post #113 of 721 Old 01-10-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:

With Audyssey off are you leaving all the audio settings at their default?

When you turn Audessey off does it just cancel the Audssey equalization or does it also undo all the speaker settings?

I have to say I am HUGELY disappointed with this receiver based n Audessey settings. My old Denon AVR-2805, with it's auto-eq feature, just blows this thing away with respect to how anything sounds in 5.1.

So now I either do a heck of a lot of tweaking to make the Onkyo sound right or I'm returning it and buying another Denon.

Quote:

I used the old one from my 608 and had the same thing happen, low bass output. Everything else seemed like it balanced very well. All I did is turn the sub level up manually on the rec and it sounded great. I haven't used the new one yet, but will this week. I'll post how it turns out. I do think most people like more bass than what is considered optimal balanced levels.

I'm trying to figure out if turning the volume knob up on the subwoofer, turning up the bass setting or turning up the subwoofer levels on the AVR will give me the best result.

My bass is so low it's like I don't even have a subwoofer. And don't need one. My front speakers can easily handle the bass output generated by this receiver with the Audessey settings.

How do your surrounds sound? Not too overpowering? Is your center loud enough? It's like everything is just wrong for me.

I raised my surrounds up by 14" then did the Audyssey setup again last night with 6 measurements instead of four. Things got marginally better but I think it's mostly due to raising my surrounds.

It took me forever to get everything set up correctly because I have so many devices that need to work together. Shame I spent all that time getting everything right and now it sounds like crap. What a disaster.
post #114 of 721 Old 01-10-2011, 02:54 PM

I am disappointed with this receiver also. I think the bass is lacking a bit but what really gets me is that my pandora stops after 2-3 songs all the time. Sometimes it would just freeze at NET/USB and I can't do anything at all but to reset the receiver. I thought about doing the return to Amazon but I will be hit with restocking fees and also shipping cost. I have been trying to craigslist the AVR so I don't lose much on it.

PS. I was originally waiting on a deal on a Denon 1911 or 2311.
post #115 of 721 Old 01-10-2011, 02:59 PM

I don't know if this is to be expected or not but audio from my multichannel SACD/DVDA player only sounds decent in Direct or Pure Audio modes. Other listening modes including Multichannel sound a mess.

But still, my six year old Denon sounded infinitely better than any setting on the Onkyo. This is what I get for not leaving well enough alone. I got a new 3D TV and thought I'd get a nice new networkable receiver with 3D and HDMI switching. BAH! That was a bad decision.
post #116 of 721 Old 01-10-2011, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 24
my bass was very low on my onkyo 605.. I would suggest turning up the sub in settings. like to 5 both on the receiver and sub. see if that helps?
what settings do you have everything at?
like 80 or so? i have it set to 80 on everthing, from sub to front to center to back speakers.
Jacob
post #117 of 721 Old 01-10-2011, 04:07 PM

I've been able to get a much more pleasing stereo sound using the manual EQ as compared to the Audyssey system. I'm sure it's partly due to years of hearing music boosted at both ends, to the point that a truly flat response doesn't sound "right" any more. Either that or the Audyssey system is screwed.

I'll tweak the center and surrounds later. I did notice that the receiver kept the sound level settings set by Audyssey on all speakers, which was handy. That should keep me from having to adjust them more than a notch or two after I tweak the EQ on the rest of the speakers.
post #118 of 721 Old 01-10-2011, 04:25 PM

Just about to drop off my AVR at UPS. Did a live chat with an Amazon CSR and told him about my problems with the AVR freezing while streaming and having to reset the receiver.

He said I will get a full refund and no shipping charges so I took his word for it and it's going back. Print screened my live chat session for evidence if Amazon tries to hit me with fees.

Will wait on a deal for a Denon 1911 or 2311 or pony up more for a 3311 since I do love the networking features of the RC270.
post #119 of 721 Old 01-10-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:

When you turn Audessey off does it just cancel the Audssey equalization or does it also undo all the speaker settings?

I have to say I am HUGELY disappointed with this receiver based n Audessey settings. My old Denon AVR-2805, with it's auto-eq feature, just blows this thing away with respect to how anything sounds in 5.1.

So now I either do a heck of a lot of tweaking to make the Onkyo sound right or I'm returning it and buying another Denon.

I'm trying to figure out if turning the volume knob up on the subwoofer, turning up the bass setting or turning up the subwoofer levels on the AVR will give me the best result.

My bass is so low it's like I don't even have a subwoofer. And don't need one. My front speakers can easily handle the bass output generated by this receiver with the Audessey settings.

How do your surrounds sound? Not too overpowering? Is your center loud enough? It's like everything is just wrong for me.

I raised my surrounds up by 14" then did the Audyssey setup again last night with 6 measurements instead of four. Things got marginally better but I think it's mostly due to raising my surrounds.

It took me forever to get everything set up correctly because I have so many devices that need to work together. Shame I spent all that time getting everything right and now it sounds like crap. What a disaster.

with my old 608, I adjusted the levels on the receiver. When it went through the automatic set up, it made the sub levels very low. It took me forever to figured out what had happened. It put the setting way to the negative and of course I adjusted it mid way to the positive. No issues after that.
post #120 of 721 Old 01-10-2011, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When you turn Audyssey off it still retains all of the levels and distance information. After reading some more of the 5008 thread it appears there is a way to tweak some tone settings after you run Audyssey. but I don't have access to the receiver to test it and see how it performs that way.

Mike

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors