Onkyo HT-RC270 Official thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 721 Old 01-21-2011, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Sorry for a possibly dumb question, but how do the THX listening modes work? Do they work (Like THX loudness control) with any source, like DTS HD Master Audio or TrueHD track from a Blu ray?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 721 Old 01-21-2011, 12:55 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygracealone View Post

Hey guys,

I was setting mine up last night, got everything hooked up as desired, then proceeded to update the firmware via the internet connection. Everything was going well, I saw the progress make it to 100% and then it went on to do some other things that I wasn't able to pay attention to. The on-screen instructions said to not do anything for 30 minutes or something like that.

Well, in an attempt to make good use of my time, I decided I would hook up a LAN line to my TV and as I pulled the line, I accidentally disconnected the power to the receiver! Well, I went back in to see if I could rerun the update to the firmware and the option was no longer available; it was no longer highlighted.

All that said, everything seems to be working right. Finds my network automatically and it's able to stream Pandora... Is there anything else I should be concerned about with regard to the firmware update?

If I remember correctly, the update phase, after the process displayed
100% was fairly fast. Maybe 5 minutes or so. I got the impression that
they were updating a second processor's Flash, but that is just a guess.
The messages were classically cryptic :-) It is possible that you knocked
out the plug after the update was complete. The last step in the update
process is to reboot the receiver, so you just did it the "unofficial" way.
It is also possible that the second phase did not complete correctly, but
since it is a secondary processor, or memory, you are not seeing the effects.
I would try following the USB update procedure (be sure to follow all of the
"before your start" notes, and disconnect all input sources/network). Hopefully
it will allow you to redo the update. If not, I would recommend using it as is,
until the next update comes out. You should then be able to put your mind at
ease.

I'm not 100% clear on what got changed in the update, but network stability, and
stability during initialization are two things that people have reported as improving
after doing the update. If you are not experiencing network/start-up problems, you
are probably in good shape, until the next update.
post #183 of 721 Old 01-21-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V=IR View Post

If I remember correctly, the update phase, after the process displayed
100% was fairly fast. Maybe 5 minutes or so. I got the impression that
they were updating a second processor's Flash, but that is just a guess.
The messages were classically cryptic :-) It is possible that you knocked
out the plug after the update was complete. The last step in the update
process is to reboot the receiver, so you just did it the "unofficial" way.
It is also possible that the second phase did not complete correctly, but
since it is a secondary processor, or memory, you are not seeing the effects.
I would try following the USB update procedure (be sure to follow all of the
"before your start" notes, and disconnect all input sources/network). Hopefully
it will allow you to redo the update. If not, I would recommend using it as is,
until the next update comes out. You should then be able to put your mind at
ease.

I'm not 100% clear on what got changed in the update, but network stability, and
stability during initialization are two things that people have reported as improving
after doing the update. If you are not experiencing network/start-up problems, you
are probably in good shape, until the next update.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question and the host of other questions that have been asked. Your help and resourcefulness (did I just make up a word? LOL) is much appreciated.
post #184 of 721 Old 01-21-2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:

If you've never used them before, I recommend you go with the banana plugs.
They're the most easy to use, and are not any more difficult to attach, than the
spades or pins. There are different brands/styles of banana plugs out there. Some
are a little better made, and thought-out, like the Monster Cable versions, but they
are also a lot more expensive. For your power levels, I would think pretty much any
version, you pick up, will do well. Try to stick to gold plated, if possible. Ebay, Amazon
etc ... have lots of options available. Most attach to a stripped wire end, using set
screws, or capture the splayed wire between two parts of the plug body. Better quality
versions will include paint/marking to identify which is the positive/negative terminals,
and will often have more spring contacts. Also useful is any sort of cable strain relief.
Some versions grab the insulation, others can be tie-wrapped to the plug body (dual
plug versions). I like to "tin" (solder) the stripped wires, if I am using the set screw
versions (more set screws the better), but that's not mandatory. Solder just keeps
the oxidation down a bit, and improves the connection between the wire body and
the plug. If you do not solder, you might consider reattaching you banana plugs
every few years (cut the speaker wire, strip and re-attach). Pay close attention
to the speaker wire markings. There is usually some way to identify one conductor
over the other. You want the positive and negative terminals, on the speakers, to
match up with their equivalents on the receiver. Also be careful to assure that there
are not any strands of wire protruding from the plugs. Shorting an amplifier output is
a bad thing.

I've never used that style of stand. It looks pretty well made, and appears
well suited for the Energy set. The triangular base may be a bit of a tipping
hazard, if you have the poles extended, and you are on carpet. It also depends
on how heavy are the speakers. You can always attach a stabilizing board to the
bottom of the stands, if necessary. Without seeing how they attach to the speaker,
I can't say if they will have a noticeable impact on the sound quality. Probably not,
as long as they are not allowed to vibrate. They look like a pretty good deal,
especially since you are on a tight budget. In the $30 range, I have found this
style Sanus stand works well. The spiked feet help isolate the stand from the carpet.
They are sturdy, hide the wires, and look pretty good. They come in different heights,
if 24" is not tall enough.

http://www.amazon.com/SANUS-SYSTEMS-...5387685&sr=8-3

Sounds good so I ordered up some for the speaker wire connections to the receiver. I found some pics that showed how to wire them up and it is pretty self explanatory now that I see how they come apart, etc. I will tin the other ends with some solder at the speaker connections to make things easier and cleaner. I also ordered up that sub cable, that 14ga speaker wire, the stands, and a some 24ga HDMI cables to replace the cheaper ones I am currently using. The speakers arrived last night, the rest of the stuff is set to arrive Monday. Hopefully by Wednesday or Thursday next week I can get everything connected and let you and everyone else know how it goes.Thanks again for your help.
Mav
post #185 of 721 Old 01-21-2011, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine1971 View Post

onecall.com has the HD1000 on sale all the time for around $525-$550. As far as the sub goes, I can't even turn mine half way up, without getting complaints. So needless to say, I am very happy with it.

Thanks Wolve, but I decided to go with the energys. After reading so many positive reviews on them (don't think I even ran into 1 bad review) and then newegg offering the added incentive on them I had to go for it. Thanks for sharing though...
Mav
post #186 of 721 Old 01-22-2011, 07:09 PM

Hey Guys I'm interested in buying this receiver but I can't seem to find any info anywhere on whether or not this receiver has "Audio return channel" and "HDMI standby pass-through" the standby pass through is very important to me as I want to be able to watch tv at times using the TV speakers without having to have the receiver on and listen to it through the surround sound speakers. any help would be greatly appreciated!
post #187 of 721 Old 01-22-2011, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by superman123 View Post

Hey Guys I'm interested in buying this receiver but I can't seem to find any info anywhere on whether or not this receiver has "Audio return channel" and "HDMI standby pass-through" the standby pass through is very important to me as I want to be able to watch tv at times using the TV speakers without having to have the receiver on and listen to it through the surround sound speakers. any help would be greatly appreciated!

Yes and Yes. ARC (Audio Return Channel) is part of the HDMI 1.4 spec.
post #188 of 721 Old 01-23-2011, 01:06 AM

I have hooked up the Wii via component cables to the GAME section. The audio is connected with an analog red/white connector which I plugged into the game section. But I can never get any sound. The picture works fine (selecting IN2). I have tried plugging into other options but it won't let you assign the analog. You can assign the digital coax or optical no problem.

What do I have to do to get sound working for the wii since it doesn't have digital audio and has component cables.

Also, any tips for a $200 sub woofer.
post #189 of 721 Old 01-23-2011, 02:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebu7777 View Post

I have hooked up the Wii via component cables to the GAME section. The audio is connected with an analog red/white connector which I plugged into the game section. But I can never get any sound. The picture works fine (selecting IN2). I have tried plugging into other options but it won't let you assign the analog. You can assign the digital coax or optical no problem.

What do I have to do to get sound working for the wii since it doesn't have digital audio and has component cables.

Also, any tips for a $200 sub woofer.

Try a different input (cbl/sat,vcr/dvr,bd/dvd) and see if one of those work. If not you may need to reset your receiver.
post #190 of 721 Old 01-23-2011, 07:32 AM

Since this receiver is so similar to the 708, and is currently about $90 cheaper I went ahead and ordered it. How its everyone enjoying theirs?
post #191 of 721 Old 01-23-2011, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

I have hooked up the Wii via component cables to the GAME section. The audio is connected with an analog red/white connector which I plugged into the game section. But I can never get any sound. The picture works fine (selecting IN2).

Hi nebu7777, with the Wii input selected, press "Home" button, select "Audio" and cycle to Audio Selector and change it to "Analog".
post #192 of 721 Old 01-23-2011, 08:37 AM

Has anyone successfully networked this receiver with a Macbook? If so what program are you using on your Mac to stream to the receiver?
post #193 of 721 Old 01-23-2011, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furiousd8 View Post

Has anyone successfully networked this receiver with a Macbook? If so what program are you using on your Mac to stream to the receiver?

Try xbmc.
post #194 of 721 Old 01-23-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi nebu7777, with the Wii input selected, press "Home" button, select "Audio" and cycle to Audio Selector and change it to "Analog".

That was the answer. Thanks a ton!
post #195 of 721 Old 01-23-2011, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

That was the answer. Thanks a ton!

Glad to help, enjoy.
post #196 of 721 Old 01-24-2011, 07:12 AM

Hey guys I got this receiver a couple weeks ago, I had got the SR608, but saw this one for not much more with the network capability, so I figured it was worth the extra $.

Overall I think I like it, but am still fussing with it every now and then, trying to set up harmony remote to work with it...getting good sound out of my zone 2 speakers...and a few other minor things that I think will just take a little tweaking to get right. I'll probably be posting issues as they come up,and I can't solve them...so here is the first one -

I am having an issue with Pandora-when I listen to it at low levels, I hear static, if I turn it up, the static either goes away, or is masked so I can't hear it. I do not have a pandora subscription, so I was wondering if this is because of low bit rate of the free pandora? Anyone know about this?
post #197 of 721 Old 01-24-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGriddle View Post

Sorry for a possibly dumb question, but how do the THX listening modes work? Do they work (Like THX loudness control) with any source, like DTS HD Master Audio or TrueHD track from a Blu ray?

Anyone?
post #198 of 721 Old 01-24-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguarnotta View Post

I am having an issue with Pandora-when I listen to it at low levels, I hear static, if I turn it up, the static either goes away, or is masked so I can't hear it. I do not have a pandora subscription, so I was wondering if this is because of low bit rate of the free pandora? Anyone know about this?

Pandora is working great for me and I have the free plan. Did you upgrade the firmware? Did you try the other iRadio channels?
post #199 of 721 Old 01-24-2011, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quick review:
I have the RC270 hooked up to:
- Samsung LN52A750
- PS3 Slim
- HTPC with a Radeon HD5450 and Windows7 x64
- HDMI connections for all

For speakers I have Mirage Nanosat 5.1 set. I have updated the firmware via network without issues as soon as I got this unit. I have tried Pandora and iRadio stations and they all played without issues. My all 3 of my PCs detect the receiver and I can access the setup page from any browser on my PC. The web front end allow you to edit the RC270's internet radio settings, this is very handy and much faster with a real keyboard.

The receiver can also find any uPnP shares and playback audio files just like the PS3. I do notice slight video lag when I move the mouse cursor around, but it's minimal and not noticeable during video playback on the HTPC. Overall it's a solid receiver with excellent networking features that Denon charges over $1000 to match.

edit:
I played around with Onkyo's included remote control and found it pretty useful. After you program it to match the TV code, then you can program the Onkyo's buttons to map any button on the TV's remote control. You can also record macros to automate actions. This has eliminated the need for the TV's remote or the need to buy a separate universal remote. Not bad for a remote that's included.
post #200 of 721 Old 01-24-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question and the host of other questions that have been asked. Your help and resourcefulness (did I just make up a word? LOL) is much appreciated.

Quote:

Thanks again for your help.
Mav

Sure, glad to help, when (where) I can
post #201 of 721 Old 01-24-2011, 01:04 PM

Yes I ahve updated the firmware, I have not tried any of the other iradio channels. I don't really know how they work, I thought they were all subscription based, except for pandora.
post #202 of 721 Old 01-24-2011, 02:45 PM

Tried getting xbmc. Unfortunately when you go look into folders it says no files available in it. Any other suggestions. Onkyo told me that it was only Windows compatible but curious if there's a work around for Mac.
post #203 of 721 Old 01-24-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguarnotta View Post
Yes I ahve updated the firmware, I have not tried any of the other iradio channels. I don't really know how they work, I thought they were all subscription based, except for pandora.
At least vRadio and Slacker are free. I'd try those to narrow down the issue.
post #204 of 721 Old 01-25-2011, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGriddle View Post
Check out page 39 of the manual. It does a pretty good job of outlining where
each of the modes can be used. I just tested it with iRadio as the source. I was
able to cycle through all of the THX Cinema, Music and Games modes (for DTS and DD
2 channel simulated surround modes). With Hancock BR as a test source, TrueHD
as input format, all of the THX listening modes appear to be available (except Select2
modes, since I have a 5.1 speaker setup). Not sure if that answers your questions?
post #205 of 721 Old 01-25-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:

Check out page 39 of the manual. It does a pretty good job of outlining where
each of the modes can be used. I just tested it with iRadio as the source. I was
able to cycle through all of the THX Cinema, Music and Games modes (for DTS and DD
2 channel simulated surround modes). With Hancock BR as a test source, TrueHD
as input format, all of the THX listening modes appear to be available (except Select2
modes, since I have a 5.1 speaker setup). Not sure if that answers your questions?

Thanks! This is very helpful! Do the THX listening modes appear to affect those lossless tracks significantly (e.g. improve the experience) in any particular way?

I'm used to listening to DTS-MA or TrueHD tracks (Onkyo TX-SR606), but no processing was ever applied, so I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to have the THX modes. Otherwise, the HT-RC260 (much cheaper) has most of what I'd need, just without the THX listening modes and no MultiEQ, of course. Now, maybe Multi-EQ is worth the extra price on it's own?
post #206 of 721 Old 01-25-2011, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have ordered the 270. hopefully have it soon. anything I need to know about it? I currently have a 7.1 set up with the onkyo 605.

Jacob
post #207 of 721 Old 01-25-2011, 12:53 PM

So glad to see that many of you are in the same boat as me. I'm putting together my first home theater and took advantage of NewEgg's Energy Take Classic speaker promo too.

Hoping you can help me with some questions about the RC270.

My AVR requirements are: 1.4a/3D HDMI; phono input; Ethernet port/networking (Pandora, DLNA); Zone 3 output. Ideally, I'd like something that's also very easy to set up and maintain.

I started by looking at the Denon 3311CI, but at $800+ it was just too pricey. When I looked for alternatives I found the Onkyo TX-NR808 and I was almost ready to buy. But the cheapest unit I could find was a $650 refurb, and its feature set (like Sirius and RJ232) still seemed like overkill for my intended usage.

I also read that the NR808 was a power hog even in standby, and I'd rather have something less greedy.

That's when I found a possible alternative in the RC270. My questions to you are:

- Given that the RC270 only has Zone 2 output, is it possible to buy an external hardware switch that would toggle between Zone 2 and Zone 3 speakers? If so, about how much might it cost?

- How satisfied are you with the RC270's networking features? Does DLNA streaming work okay? Would it, say, allow me to play the AAC (.m4a) Apple Lossless files that are hosted on my ReadyNAS server? Can the receiver be controlled with a PC/Mac (maybe with a Web GUI) on the same network?

- How is the receiver's 3D video signal? Is 3D video pass-through available without the receiver being in standby? I have a Samsung BD-C6900 BDP and a 55" 8000 series TV, and it's important that the (very) occasional 3D content we watch isn't degraded if the receiver handles it.

- Anything else I ought to consider?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can offer.
post #208 of 721 Old 01-25-2011, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furiousd8 View Post

Tried getting xbmc. Unfortunately when you go look into folders it says no files available in it. Any other suggestions. Onkyo told me that it was only Windows compatible but curious if there's a work around for Mac.

Im listening to music from my '10 macbook pro streaming with xbmc to my onkyo 708 as I type this. You have to be sure you download the multiroom audio add on and scan your library.
post #209 of 721 Old 01-27-2011, 12:18 PM

I couldn't really find a clear answer to this: How is the OSD GUI for playing an iPod / iPhone? Does it display album art or anything like that, or is it purely a text directory? Does it matter whether you plug the iPod into the front USB port or use the UP-A1 iPod dock instead? Thanks!
post #210 of 721 Old 01-27-2011, 03:07 PM

I just tried slacker radio, and I'm not getting any static at low volume like I did with pandora. I'm not really sure of the reason, but I'll give slacker a try for now. I had not used it before. Thanks for the tip...

Back here to edit this-actually i am getting static with slacker too.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page