Sony STR DN1010 Subwoofer Issue? Need more bass! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 12-30-2010, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
DRC72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Greater Hartford, CT
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I own this receiver and a Klipsch self power subwoofer... Now my issue is anemic bass response on movies that should be rattling the house. Before anybody says it's my sub... It's not. I've used the same sub on my old STR DA2000ES receiver and the bass pretty much blow the doors off my house. I've tried messing with the settings on both the amp and the sub with barely any results. Lowering the crossover frequency on the amp did nothing as well as the sub. The options I have on my sub are as follow.

Volume control knob
Low Pass Filter knob, starts at 40hz and goes to 120hz
Phase switch, two options 0 or 180

Also my speakers are set to small in my speaker pattern. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DRC72
DRC72 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 12-31-2010, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
DRC72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Greater Hartford, CT
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Anyone????????
DRC72 is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 12-31-2010, 08:36 AM
Senior Member
 
DelJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here are some hints from my Sony STR-DH810 manual:

1. There is an HDMI menu item called SW LEVEL which allows you to add 10 dB of gain to the subwoofer output. There is another HDMI menu selection called SW L.P.F that might also help.

2. Did you try adjusting the speaker levels with the test tone? Either manually or auto calibrate.

3. My manual indicates that the subwoofer volume should be set to "just before midpoint", that the crossover (on the subwoofer) should be set to maximum, and any auto standby mode on the subwoofer should be deactivated.

DelJ




Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post

Anyone????????

DelJ is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 12-31-2010, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
DRC72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Greater Hartford, CT
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelJ View Post

Here are some hints from my Sony STR-DH810 manual:

1. There is an HDMI menu item called SW LEVEL which allows you to add 10 dB of gain to the subwoofer output. There is another HDMI menu selection called SW L.P.F that might also help.

2. Did you try adjusting the speaker levels with the test tone? Either manually or auto calibrate.

3. My manual indicates that the subwoofer volume should be set to "just before midpoint", that the crossover (on the subwoofer) should be set to maximum, and any auto standby mode on the subwoofer should be deactivated.

DelJ

I did an auto calibration, but I am gonna dig deeper into the menus. My manual indicates the same levels as yours. The crossover frequency is set to 120hz on all my speakers. Should I lower that value for all the speakers or keep it the same? What are you using for levels? Also I found the HDMI menu item that you refereed too. The SW was set to auto, but I changed it to +10.
DRC72 is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 12-31-2010, 05:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
MichaelJHuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 18,742
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Generally speaking 80hz crossover is a good starting point.

After that, as long as it's playing at the same level as the other speakers when you play test tones, it should be set up correctly.

"But this one goes up to 11"
MichaelJHuman is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 12-31-2010, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
DRC72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Greater Hartford, CT
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The +10, raising the SW level in speaker settings, and lowering the crossover frequency to about 40hz has improved the bass response. While not earth shattering, it's definitely a lot better. I gotta find my manual and see what SW L.P.F is all about. I have that set to on. I'm considering lowering the crossover frequency even more.
DRC72 is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 02-10-2011, 10:39 PM
Member
 
TylerC161's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Did you ever find a solution? I'm having the same problem with 2 different subwoofers. Both are powered. My new one has the low pass and gain, with 2 rca inputs. the old one has just gain, with 2 rca. i've got rca running to a Y adapter to the subwoofer out on the amp.

Even on the auto calibration it barely hits. The auto method ends up setting it to +10db because its so quiet. It does this with both subs.

my sub I want to use: acoustic audio psw-12 500w 12"

settings on amp:
sp pattern - 3/4.1
sw lpf - off
arc-on

For some reason no matter what HDMI I cannot get into my SB assign menu

edit:

According to another site: http://onlytopreviews.com/home-appli...-receiver.html

Quote:


When I tried the SB ASSIGN button was dimmed out not allowing me to select it. It took me another hour to determine you can only choose SB ASSIGN on the lower speaker chart configurations shown on page 80 of the manual. Using the PLIIz mode the receiver solar panel only highlights speaker A and is playing in 7.One. I’m not sure why web page 34 of the guide tells you to select speaker B telling you to reference page 80 after which you can’t. The manual hurts with this receiver or even I’m stupid and not good at reading instructions.

TylerC161 is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 03-23-2012, 01:22 PM
Newbie
 
mtxjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

I just "upgraded" from a 10 year old str-de985 to the str-dn1010 to take advantage of the HDMI.

Using the same speakers I have VERY little bass. Its ridiculous. I have a Elemental Designs A2-300 and I should have some bass, especially in dolby digital decoded things.

I have already turned the sub to +10db on the manual speaker setup screen (where you adjust the volume of each speaker, and distance) I ran the auto-cal I just have such little bass I'm beside myself. I also turned up the sub volume considerably past the "almost half" setting I ran in calibration. I turned the bass up on the eq but apparently that only effects the front speakers.

"SB" is surround back fyi. Im not messing with that.
mtxjohn is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 03-24-2012, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
DRC72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Greater Hartford, CT
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtxjohn View Post

Hi guys,

I just "upgraded" from a 10 year old str-de985 to the str-dn1010 to take advantage of the HDMI.

Using the same speakers I have VERY little bass. Its ridiculous. I have a Elemental Designs A2-300 and I should have some bass, especially in dolby digital decoded things.

I have already turned the sub to +10db on the manual speaker setup screen (where you adjust the volume of each speaker, and distance) I ran the auto-cal I just have such little bass I'm beside myself. I also turned up the sub volume considerably past the "almost half" setting I ran in calibration. I turned the bass up on the eq but apparently that only effects the front speakers.

"SB" is surround back fyi. Im not messing with that.

I would return it, and get yourself a better receiver. The 1010 is known to output very little bass, even when the bass settings are set to max on all components. I returned mine last year, and never looked back.
DRC72 is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 03-27-2012, 08:25 AM
Newbie
 
mtxjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So what did you get?

My main reason for gettign sony was to have the HDMI control of my sony BD and TV. Im sick of many remotes but the sound is HORRIBLE. What the holy hell sony?
mtxjohn is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 03-27-2012, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
DRC72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Greater Hartford, CT
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtxjohn View Post

So what did you get?

My main reason for gettign sony was to have the HDMI control of my sony BD and TV. Im sick of many remotes but the sound is HORRIBLE. What the holy hell sony?

Well I decided to go top shelf. The Pioneer VSX-33. I use to be a Sony fanboy, but I decided to jump ship, and I've been pretty happy with my Pioneer.
DRC72 is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off