AVS Forum banner

LFE Clipping After Audio Calibration - Sony STR-DA5500ES

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  jdsmoothie 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have a Sony STR-DA5500ES. It's been calibrated with a 7.1 set up. I've been watching movies for a long time using this without noticing any issues with the LFE...until this past weekend when I watched Inception.

I noticed, in several places, that the subwoofer sounded like it was clipping. I checked its control unit and sure enough, I was getting a lot of red light during many scenes with extremely strong LFE sound.

I'm surprised I didn't notice this with Rambo or The Expendables as both of those movies were really loud overall.

Any how, I'm wondering if this is normal, i.e., that even after proper calibration some BDs may have different levels and are not mixed to some standard? Depending on the movie, I typically listen at a volume level of -16 to -13. DRC is off on the BD palyer but set to standard on the receiver.

I calibrated the unit using the Sony calibration microphone and system. I basically had to manually adjust the LFE level down to a point where clipping is just barely avoided on the strongest LFE parts of Inception. Inception now sounds amazing but am worried how the low end may now disappear for other movies. The calibration system had set LFE to -8 and I took it down to -12.

All my speakers are from Cambridge Soundworks and the subwoofer is a Newton Series P1000.

So I guess my big question is, is the only way to really deal with this is to lower the LFE volume on the receiver to barely clipping for the BD title that has the loudest LFE level or am I missing something? I appreciate any help on this. I'm sure I'll learn something new here.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks. I'll give that a try. I do have the sub's volume between the 9-10 position as I wanted to make sure I wasn't under-driving it and wanted to take advantage of its full capacity or near that. Am I wrong in thinking this from what little I know about audio?

I love the fact that the volume level goes to 11.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.