Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 47 Old 04-07-2011, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

Im still curious how it can actually do .77V when all inputs are balanced and most likely +4dBV which is 1.44V (isnt it??)

Good question Penn. I was wondering the same thing as I don't have my amp yet. BTW, we seem to be in alot of the same threads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 04-07-2011, 07:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocDoc View Post

Good question Penn. I was wondering the same thing as I don't have my amp yet. BTW, we seem to be in alot of the same threads.

Yeah, Same products, same questions, same discussions

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #33 of 47 Old 04-07-2011, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

Im still curious how it can actually do .77V when all inputs are balanced and most likely +4dBV which is 1.44V (isnt it??)

+4 dBu is 1.228V (source: http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-db-volt.htm). No idea how any of those sensitivity ratings relate to dBu/dBV (as in I don't know, not as in I don't know why you'd ask - for example consumer gear is -10 dBV, which is .31x volts, but most consumer amps have sensitivity values higher up than that)) though. Should be +4dBu as balanced, yes, but can't find a user manual to say yay or nay. No idea if this helps you at all. I think as long as you compensate for the +4/-10 mismatch between your preamp you shouldn't have problems though, personally I'd adjust sensitivity according to what the preamp says it can output (so if max out is 1V, set to 1V and try it out).
post #34 of 47 Old 04-07-2011, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocDoc View Post

That fan puts out 68 CFM @ 24 dba, and I think the stock fans put out close to 100. If that is the fan you are using and it is staying cool, I am sure it will work for me. I am sure you are putting more of a load on your amps than I would.
One question. This fan has three wires, and I beleave one is a speed control. Can you tell me which color wire on the fan goes to black, and red on the amp? Thanks again for the help.

The third wire (yellow) is the speed sensor. It's left unused.

I'm not sure on the input sensitivity settings, but I know the switch definitely makes a difference. However, I have no problem pushing these amps to clipping with it at 1.44. My Denon with multeq xt calibrates my subs to between -10 and -11 at the 1.44v setting
post #35 of 47 Old 04-15-2011, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
notnyt-

I might be interested in your repaired ma5050 if it isnt already spoken for. However, I live in Oregon and shipping would not be cheap. Let me know...
post #36 of 47 Old 04-17-2011, 10:02 PM
Advanced Member

I wanted to know if the dimensions Marathon gives for this amp include the handles on the front. If I bought one it would be a tight fit in my AV cabinet.
post #37 of 47 Old 04-17-2011, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Did you try checking marathon's website? It will fit in a standard 19" rack and is 3U tall.

Hey look, they have dimensions =]

http://marathonpro.com/mamamaprosea3.html
post #38 of 47 Old 04-18-2011, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member

I saw those dimensions, I just didnt know if they included the handles on the front. I have a glass door on my AV cabinet. Thanks though.
post #39 of 47 Old 04-18-2011, 10:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Notnyt,

What are you going to replace the Marathon with and what is your judgment of them after having them for several months?
post #40 of 47 Old 04-19-2011, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm not replacing them with anything? I have four running currently, and a fifth being repaired by Marathon. The only thing that has my interest at the moment are the Lab Grubben clones that Bosso is working on.
post #41 of 47 Old 04-19-2011, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post

I'm not replacing them with anything? I have four running currently, and a fifth being repaired by Marathon. The only thing that has my interest at the moment are the Lab Grubben clones that Bosso is working on.

Ooh, that sounds nice. Do you have a link to more info on that?
post #42 of 47 Old 05-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post

Newbie question-thanks in advance

What exactly is a clone? Is it the exact same amplifier, copied? When you say, its a clone of the MA5050, does that mean is the exact same design AND same components, just sold under a different name? Or is the design the same, but the components *might* be different since its manufactured by someone else?
post #43 of 47 Old 09-17-2013, 04:23 AM

Liked: 20
These amplifiers are a mistake in the Low price point, especially for sub duty. Probably ok if your just driving tops. Frequency response specification is 15hz according to marathon. Not only is this bad but seeing as the amplifier weighs in at 58 ibs and they advertise it as a 77 pound beast, and refuse to correct that specification, I would not trust this unit. I bought two of them do not even perform well under 30hz never mind going down further.

At the low price point you are better off buying the cerwin vega cv 5000. They perform solid straight through the spectrum, and weigh in as advertised at 90 lbs LOL.

A Good amplifier requires a adequate power supply, It does not matter what the amplifier is capable of if the power supply will not provide the power required. Most amplifiers have under rated power supplies. It is up to you to make sure you get the ones that are
least under rated if at all.
post #44 of 47 Old 09-18-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnplayerson View Post

These amplifiers are a mistake in the Low price point, especially for sub duty. Probably ok if your just driving tops. Frequency response specification is 15hz according to marathon. Not only is this bad but seeing as the amplifier weighs in at 58 ibs and they advertise it as a 77 pound beast, and refuse to correct that specification, I would not trust this unit. I bought two of them do not even perform well under 30hz never mind going down further.

At the low price point you are better off buying the cerwin vega cv 5000. They perform solid straight through the spectrum, and weigh in as advertised at 90 lbs LOL.

John,

I subscribed to this thread when I posted in it back in 4/2011. I would have ignored your post, but it started to bother me so I had to respond and ask some questions. I am no fan boy for Marathon, and I know there are better amps out there like Crest for more $. I went with the MA-5050’s based on notnyt’s comments/ recommendations. He sold his because they were not powerful enough to push his LMS 18’s, not because they didn’t perform well under 30hz. I have (3) MA-5050’s and use 2 of them bridged to push 2 DTS-10’s, and use the other to push 2 PC-13 Ultra’s in parallel mode. I am not bragging, but I have had complete success in easily hitting over 130 dbl’s at the LP and Marathons are not even breaking a sweat. I have numerous REW frequency sweeps that prove I have substantial output below 10hz.

I know the MA-5050 specs show a frequency response of 15-25Khz @ +0/-1 db, but that does not mean it rolls off sharply at 15hz. It just means below 15hz there is more of a variation like say -3 db down to 5hz.

Now I did not weigh my amps before mounting them in my rack, but I know they are heavy. I cannot comment about Marathon’s 77 pound claim (maybe that is ship weight). How did you weigh each amp? I assume you used the same scale and methods when they were weighed…

I have not owned a CV-5000, but I Googled some pics and the specs, and it looks very similar inside and on paper compared to the MA-5050. It looks like it has the same size toroidal transformer, but I was wondering how it weighs 32 pounds more than the MA-5050.

When you tested the MA-5050 next to the CV-5000 using the same sub, same location, and EQ/AVR settings did you save your REW sweeps that prove that the MA-5050 performed worse than the CV-5000 under 30hz? If so, please post them so we can see the difference. If not, your comments/review is all subjective.

Again, I am no Marathon fan boy, and I am not trying to defend my purchase. I just find your post misleading and subjective. It could be possible that you received some bad units.
post #45 of 47 Old 09-18-2013, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The transformer in the CV is noticeably larger. The Marathons did great, but when I was pushing seriously low ULF to high levels, they would go into protect and needed something bigger. They also definitely weighed about 75lbs. I've shipped one of them without noticing any discrepancy from the listed weight. From 15hz+ they got seriously loud and I had no complaints. The only bad thing I have to say about them is the Marathon customer service is pitiful.
post #46 of 47 Old 09-19-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post

The transformer in the CV is noticeably larger. The Marathons did great, but when I was pushing seriously low ULF to high levels, they would go into protect and needed something bigger. They also definitely weighed about 75lbs. I've shipped one of them without noticing any discrepancy from the listed weight. From 15hz+ they got seriously loud and I had no complaints. The only bad thing I have to say about them is the Marathon customer service is pitiful.

Thank you for chiming in notnyt. I knew you had a terrible experience with their customer service. I fortunately have not had any issues and have not had to contact them for support. One of these days I may upgrade to Crest 9200’s, but for now the Marathon’s are working great! I just have to disagree that they don’t perform well below 30 Hz.
post #47 of 47 Old 09-19-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post

+1000

I had a problem with my brand new unit and they never responded to multiple emails. Since I didn't install my amp for over a month after I bought it, the store I bought it from said I had to deal with Marathon directly. I took it to a local authorized dealer and they somehow knew my name and my issues with the amp. This wasn't surprising since I performed a lookup of the owners of the Marathon website and it was the same owners of the local dealer I took the amp to. After holding on to my amp for a few weeks, they said it couldn't be fixed so they gave me full credit towards another amp so I just got a QSC RMX-5050. Quite a bit more expensive, but the deal they gave me on top of the full credit was more than worth it to get rid of the junk Marathon and their non-existent CS. I'm done with any Marathon and that shop.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page