AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 392
I just received my MA-5050s. No time wasted opening them up =]

I think they used enough boxes to ship it =]

Enjoy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 01-05-2011, 10:42 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 800
SSssssuuuhhhhwwweeeeeeeeetttt!!

Now that is an amp, my friend.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #3 of 47 Old 01-07-2011, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Schweeeeet !!!!

Nice to see some new arrivals

post #4 of 47 Old 01-07-2011, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yeah!!! I was waiting for those to come back into stock!
post #5 of 47 Old 01-07-2011, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
That looks very beefy inside.
post #6 of 47 Old 01-07-2011, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Wow that looks like a clone of my RMX5050! Which I'm sure it is but at half the price! DECENT!!!

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #7 of 47 Old 01-08-2011, 05:18 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Darn, was trying to find some internal pics of my RMX5050 but must have deleted them off my BB. I don't recall it looking that nice and clean!

My DIY Subs ...

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #8 of 47 Old 01-18-2011, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
i don't care too much for big transformers ( in the age of switching supplies ) but the caps, heatsinks, fans and overall layout looks very good.
post #9 of 47 Old 01-18-2011, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I always thought large toroidal transformers where a good thing. I prefer to have them. Large if possible. What is not to like about them? Im just wondering.
post #10 of 47 Old 01-18-2011, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post

I always thought large toroidal transformers where a good thing. I prefer to have them. Large if possible. What is not to like about them? Im just wondering.

waste of copper. but as i explained in the past DIY is all about waste just like the federal government.
post #11 of 47 Old 01-18-2011, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasyachkin View Post

waste of copper. but as i explained in the past DIY is all about waste just like the federal government.

Just curious, do you prefer toroidal transformers or EI-core transformer? I have seen Marantz of late use Multiple IE-Core Transformers in some of there Amps. And of course there is the newer ICE Amps..
post #12 of 47 Old 01-18-2011, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
OK, I will bite.

What high powered amp would you use for the LMS Ultra Vas?

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #13 of 47 Old 01-19-2011, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio View Post

OK, I will bite.

What high powered amp would you use for the LMS Ultra Vas?

there are too many amps out there. you would have to find some real world testing data, reliability and resale value on amps to actually decide which one to get. i can only say which amps i consider "cool" but that doesn't mean they are a smart buying choice.
post #14 of 47 Old 01-19-2011, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

Just curious, do you prefer toroidal transformers or EI-core transformer? I have seen Marantz of late use Multiple IE-Core Transformers in some of there Amps. And of course there is the newer ICE Amps..

Marantz is a consumer product. Consumer electronics are sold by weight. They would put bricks in their products if they could to make them heavier and therefore more expensive ( and actually JBL does in some speakers like the K2 ). But with amps they don't have to - they can just use EI transformers - as good as bricks.

Transformers are like vacuum tubes - they look expensive so they are included in your amp to make you pay more. Of course nobody actually needs them but it is beyond average consumer to figure that out.

That said, toroids look more expensive than EI transformers. Toroids for looks. EI for weight. Switch mode for performance.

To me Powersoft are the most awesome amps. But id1ots complain that these amps aren't as stupid as they are. Just like for optimum power transfer you need to match impedance so for optimum profitability you need to match the stupidity of the product to the stupidity of the customer.
post #15 of 47 Old 01-19-2011, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Marantz is a consumer product. Consumer electronics are sold by weight. They would put bricks in their products if they could to make them heavier and therefore more expensive ( and actually JBL does in some speakers like the K2 ). But with amps they don't have to - they can just use EI transformers - as good as bricks.

Transformers are like vacuum tubes - they look expensive so they are included in your amp to make you pay more. Of course nobody actually needs them but it is beyond average consumer to figure that out.

That said, toroids look more expensive than EI transformers. Toroids for looks. EI for weight. Switch mode for performance.

To me Powersoft are the most awesome amps. But id1ots complain that these amps aren't as stupid as they are. Just like for optimum power transfer you need to match impedance so for optimum profitability you need to match the stupidity of the product to the stupidity of the customer.

It is amazing you say so much from a high perch but none of it has any useful value but to try and point out your perception that you have a superior intellect.

Interestingly I'll bet no one has that perception of you from your posts.

I am going to make you the only person on my ignore list. My time is valuable and what you say is not.

T6

Clearwave 4TSE and 4CC build thread

post #16 of 47 Old 01-19-2011, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

there are too many amps out there. you would have to find some real world testing data, reliability and resale value on amps to actually decide which one to get. i can only say which amps i consider "cool" but that doesn't mean they are a smart buying choice.

But that is why I am asking what you would use out of curiosity. I am not saying I am going to use those amps and am capable of doing my own research but any additional info would be helpful.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #17 of 47 Old 01-19-2011, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

I have heard of Powersoft, not the consumer market of course, but if you put a prettier face on them they sure would sell. I take it your not in marketing. LOL jk! Hey at least my brick sounds good, to me.. But I am a old Threshold Nelson Pass user, what the hell did that guy know, or good old Jim Fosgate.
post #18 of 47 Old 01-20-2011, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel

Quote:

And how would all of those caps be refilled with electronics in a timely manner with a small xformer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by t6902wf View Post

It is amazing you say so much from a high perch but none of it has any useful value but to try and point out your perception that you have a superior intellect.

Interestingly I'll bet no one has that perception of you from your posts.

I am going to make you the only person on my ignore list. My time is valuable and what you say is not.

XLNT analysis.

I haven't put him in Ignore, though; I skim through the drivel and correct the obvious errors as a public service.

Noah
post #19 of 47 Old 02-25-2011, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Can't seem to find it, someone mentioned a good place to find the MA5050 at a really good price....

Can someone help fill in the gap, workin on a LMS build for a buddy...

Thanks much.....

post #20 of 47 Old 02-25-2011, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Can't seem to find it, someone mentioned a good place to find the MA5050 at a really good price....

Can someone help fill in the gap, workin on a LMS build for a buddy...

Thanks much.....

I think this is probably the best deal you'll find.
post #21 of 47 Old 02-25-2011, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 View Post

I think this is probably the best deal you'll find.

Thats what I said in PM. It depends where you are. In NY you have to pay shipping and tax on that. I ordered from crispdeals who had em for $640 and local pickup available. So now I have 5 of these amps here, though one is toaaaaast.

post #22 of 47 Old 02-25-2011, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys..... yes, notnyt hooked me up through pm with some good info as well...

appreciate it...

Looks like Karaoke has the best shipping price... at $57, where crispdeals is $97 ?!?!

post #23 of 47 Old 04-06-2011, 08:12 PM

notnyt,
I was wondering what Input Sensitivity you are using? (0.77V / 1.0V / 1.44V)
I am going to use the MA-5050 with a (Balanced) MiniDSP and my AVR's LFE puts out 2.0Vrms Does it say in the manual what it needs for input to reach full power?

Thanks,
post #24 of 47 Old 04-06-2011, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The manuals suck and it doesn't say. I use 1.4v sensitivity coming straight from a denon 5308.

Once marathon sends me back my repaired amp, I'll be selling it if anyone is interested.

post #25 of 47 Old 04-06-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post

The manuals suck and it doesn't say. I use 1.4v sensitivity coming straight from a denon 5308.

Once marathon sends me back my repaired amp, I'll be selling it if anyone is interested.

That helps, Thanks. Are you still happy with them? I was looking at the fan mod you did, and I think I will do that too.
post #26 of 47 Old 04-06-2011, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, they work great.

post #27 of 47 Old 04-06-2011, 08:44 PM

I found these fans:
http://www.coolerguys.com/slipstream120.html

I was looking at the 1900rpm fan. Would that be a good replacement for the stock fans? I want to make sure that I am flowing at least as much air just at lower dbls.
post #28 of 47 Old 04-06-2011, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm using Scythe Slip Stream SY1225SL12M - Case fan - 120 mm

It works well, no issues. Don't go with the 1900 it will be loud.

post #29 of 47 Old 04-07-2011, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post

I'm using Scythe Slip Stream SY1225SL12M - Case fan - 120 mm

It works well, no issues. Don't go with the 1900 it will be loud.

That fan puts out 68 CFM @ 24 dba, and I think the stock fans put out close to 100. If that is the fan you are using and it is staying cool, I am sure it will work for me. I am sure you are putting more of a load on your amps than I would.
One question. This fan has three wires, and I beleave one is a speed control. Can you tell me which color wire on the fan goes to black, and red on the amp? Thanks again for the help.
post #30 of 47 Old 04-07-2011, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocDoc View Post

notnyt,
I was wondering what Input Sensitivity you are using? (0.77V / 1.0V / 1.44V)
I am going to use the MA-5050 with a (Balanced) MiniDSP and my AVR's LFE puts out 2.0Vrms Does it say in the manual what it needs for input to reach full power?

Thanks,

Im still curious how it can actually do .77V when all inputs are balanced and most likely +4dBV which is 1.228V (isnt it?? EDIT: Corrected, thanks Walbert!)

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page