Buying Energy RC-Micro-do i need a NEW receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-06-2011, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey. I currently have an Onkyo HTS-780 HTIB. It has an Onkyo HT-R530 Reciever. I just bought 2 Polk RTI-A1 Speakers and an Energy RC-Micro System. My question: Will the speakers match up well with the current receiver or should I buy a new one? It sounds like either the Onkyo SR608 or Pioneer 1020. Obviously If I dont need one or the speakers will be fine with the current one, I wont buy one. However, I'm not sure what (if anything) i'm missing with a 4-5 year old receiver-besides HDMI ports.

A little about my setup: Room: 13x16-with one side opened to kitchen-room is not closed off. PS3 via HDMI to Samsung PN50C7000 and Optical Audio to Onkyo Receiver.

Thanks,
Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-07-2011, 02:43 AM

Yes, you should upgrade to a new receiver because you will want features such as Audyssey room correction and the dynamic EQ and Volume features which will help get the most out of the RC-Micro's. You will get HD Audio and an hdmi receiver will lip sync the audio/video for you (which will be an issue if you use Cinema smooth on the C7000). Not to mention you have a 3D TV so it's very convenient to have a 3D receiver. I actually had the RC-Micro's set up with my 608 and moved them to another room with a cheap receiver and the difference was incredible. I'm unfamiliar with the Pioneer model but I'm assuming it has similar features to the 608 you should not have any hesitation about upgrading to either one it's pretty much a given with your setup.

Fronts: Energy Veritas V51
Front Height: Energy V-Mini
Center: Energy Veritas V52
Surround: Energy RC-R's
Sub: Energy ESW-CS8
Reciever: Onkyo TX-NR3008
TV: Panasonic TC-P65VT30

post #3 of 11 Old 01-08-2011, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Do you think that the new Energy sub and my onkyo sub will work well together? I actually dont mind the onkyo subwoofer. It can play pretty loud and pretty accurate for what it is. I'm surprised to hear you had such a huge improvement in sound quality with the newer receiver...is the upgrade to "HD sound" that much better?...Worth another $350 ish on one of these receivers...
post #4 of 11 Old 01-08-2011, 10:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:

I just bought 2 Polk RTI-A1 Speakers and an Energy RC-Micro System

You also need to buy a new Polk center channel because the Energy Micro center will not match your front two speakers. The matching center would be the Polk CSiA4.

Afro GT
post #5 of 11 Old 01-09-2011, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Is that something that is really needed? I sort of figured it probably doesnt matter that much if the center channel isnt the same brand... Sorry if this is an obvious answer-I'm new to all of this. I appreciate good sound quality. I figured that didnt really matter so much...I'm sure the Energy speakers are better than the onkyo's and i thought that the my onkyo center speaker served itself pretty well, so how can the Energy not be an improvement with 2 new stereo speakers...
post #6 of 11 Old 01-09-2011, 06:42 PM

The front 3 speakers should match otherwise the center will stick out like a sore thumb, it would be best to either get a Polk center and then put the 4 Micro satellites as your rear and side surround channels or swap those Polks for Energy speakers. I suppose you could keep both subs but I'd try with the most powerful first and then see how it sounds with the other. Since only the more expensive AVR's will EQ your subs it's not always good to add a 2nd one it can create issues with bass response.

Fronts: Energy Veritas V51
Front Height: Energy V-Mini
Center: Energy Veritas V52
Surround: Energy RC-R's
Sub: Energy ESW-CS8
Reciever: Onkyo TX-NR3008
TV: Panasonic TC-P65VT30

post #7 of 11 Old 01-09-2011, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaR3D View Post

The front 3 speakers should match otherwise the center will stick out like a sore thumb, it would be best to either get a Polk center and then put the 4 Micro satellites as your rear and side surround channels or swap those Polks for Energy speakers. I suppose you could keep both subs but I'd try with the most powerful first and then see how it sounds with the other. Since only the more expensive AVR's will EQ your subs it's not always good to add a 2nd one it can create issues with bass response.

+1. Mixing and matching front speakers will generally not produce good results.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, except not while driving a school bus.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-09-2011, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

So I should probably wait until I get the RC-Micros, which I bought for 399..not a bad deal...and see how they work with the current setup...Because I'm on a budget...sounding like the receiver is the next most important step? And what you guys are saying makes sense-as the polks are supposed to be warmer sounding...while the energy speakers will be more like infinity speakers ..a little harsher- correct? Hence the center RC-Micro standing out. What if I were to reduce the volume from the receiver of that speaker..just a little bit and turn treble down a bit? Also...not even sure my current onkyo receiver will work with 2 subs...It has a Sub-preamp out...which is what I have the Onkyo sub on now..then there is another Sub out, but it doesnt seem to work if I plug that onkyo sub into there. How should this new Energy sub be hooked up?
post #9 of 11 Old 01-09-2011, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
You can use a simple y-cable to connect both subs to the receiver.

As for the center matching the mains: yes, it is ideal to have matching speakers for the front three. However, you should definitely hook up what you already bought and see how it sounds.

Be sure to complete the calibration steps such as setting the distances and channel trims. It is best to set the channel trims (center +/- X dB, etc.) with an SPL meter, but if you don't have one you can just try to do it by ear. Note that you won't really know if it is calibrated correctly by doing it by ear, but it might be good enough.

-Max
post #10 of 11 Old 01-10-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestylemx989 View Post
So I should probably wait until I get the RC-Micros, which I bought for 399..not a bad deal...and see how they work with the current setup...Because I'm on a budget...sounding like the receiver is the next most important step? And what you guys are saying makes sense-as the polks are supposed to be warmer sounding...while the energy speakers will be more like infinity speakers ..a little harsher- correct? Hence the center RC-Micro standing out. What if I were to reduce the volume from the receiver of that speaker..just a little bit and turn treble down a bit? Also...not even sure my current onkyo receiver will work with 2 subs...It has a Sub-preamp out...which is what I have the Onkyo sub on now..then there is another Sub out, but it doesnt seem to work if I plug that onkyo sub into there. How should this new Energy sub be hooked up?

Where did you find the RC Micros for $399? I'm looking for deals on some CB 10's.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-10-2011, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Bought it from Crutchfield a few days ago. They are out of stock..not shipping until the 26th..but They are now the same price as the Energy Takes...so I went with these.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page