AirPlay/ Denon & Marantz FAQ: start here - Page 10 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 278 Old 03-11-2015, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna_x1100 View Post
Tried to get Airplay work on my Denon X1100W for the last two weeks. A horror!

Now it stopped playing and it can't get a connection, iTunes shows error 15008. Unplugging would probably work... until the error comes again a few hours later. Any ideas to solve the problem for longer?

Hi there,

I had the same problem and it was racking my brains as alot of the information didn't talk about what iTunes Airplay error -15008 meant.

I was really pissed off that this happened as I bought this thing last week and it failed to work during playback, during the middle of a house party!

Worse thing was, I spent of 700$ AUD in buying this thing last week so I could do multi-zone - otherwise I would have stuck with my previous device - the Yamaha RX-V473 and have had no problems whatsoever on Airplay with the Yamaha (been running that setup for 2+ years)

Denon Setup:

Telstra Netgear CG3100D-2 (Cable Model/router)
TP-Link gigabit 8 port switch
Hardwired network everywhere (AVR, PC in same switch, and same subnet)

PC running windows 8.1 and iTunes
Denon AVR-X1100W

Issue:
Playback would be ok for a while, on the day of the party I actually was running this setup all day. Then in the middle of the party it failed and stopped working with the iTunes error -15008.

Stuff done:

Hard power cycle (short) failed
Hard power cycle (5 min delay) OK, but would fail after a little while
Was running additional wireless router, but ended up getting a new switch to simplify network, but still had same issue.
Updated iTunes
Tested via 2 iphones and ipad air running different versions of iOS - no different.

Called up Denon Support -QualiFI (?) and spoke to a quite helpful bloke called bosko. Told me that alot of the time it is the network, mainly configuration, but possibly network hardware on AVR. Gave me hard reset proceedures and I proceeded to try those and investigate further.

Hard reset procedures seem ok, reconfigured everything and ran Online Radio for an hour with no issues - kinda rules out network hardware.

Airplay testing soon followed and failed within 5-10 mins.

Hard reset again, but noticed just before I did this, I saw the front saying "Assigning" - to me it seems to be Airplay processes on Denon AVR playing up possibly due to some network thing on the AVR having its knickers in a knot.

Then trial'd and error'd different settings on the router - even though the Firewall Features were OFF.

Then:

[ Short answer ]
- Disabled IP Flood Detection in Content Filtering > Services
- Seems to have worked regardless of the fact that the Firewall Features were OFF.

Stable for 4 hours continuous play and various testing - including:
- multiple airplay sources
- AVR swap to another source
- AVR control of airplay music
- Multi zone switch on off
- Airplay stream hijack using other airplay source
- Airplay from wireless iOS device
- Airplay from 2 separate computers
- Airplay remote boot AVR to play music

No problems since (3 days now since I turned IP Flood Detection off)-
I've only had this thing for a week.

It's working quite well now (really - as expected) was really disappointed that this happens, I have never had a problem previously.

Hope this helps.

P.S. On reflection of the above, it is quite apparent the Denon Airplay software within its Firmware is quite flaky. During testing, I have also tested airplay on the same network using the following as airplay receivers:
- another PC
- the older Yamaha device (RX-V473)
-- with no issues.

I hope Denon fix this up so that the Airplay software modules are more robust - for the average Joe, they would already have sent it back for DOA a few times now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 278 Old 03-12-2015, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullando View Post
P.S. On reflection of the above, it is quite apparent the Denon Airplay software within its Firmware is quite flaky. During testing, I have also tested airplay on the same network using the following as airplay receivers:
- another PC
- the older Yamaha device (RX-V473)
-- with no issues.

I hope Denon fix this up so that the Airplay software modules are more robust - for the average Joe, they would already have sent it back for DOA a few times now.
Interesting diagnosis and (possible) fix. As noted above and in other threads, I had the same problem with a Marantz 6009, which I tend to assume has very similar or identical AirPlay implementation. It's pretty clearly not just a network equipment issue, because the network card and connection works for other functions, but something about using AirPlay causes the network connection to have problems.
post #273 of 278 Old 03-12-2015, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdrew View Post
Interesting diagnosis and (possible) fix. As noted above and in other threads, I had the same problem with a Marantz 6009, which I tend to assume has very similar or identical AirPlay implementation. It's pretty clearly not just a network equipment issue, because the network card and connection works for other functions, but something about using AirPlay causes the network connection to have problems.

yea its quite hard to diagnose, given the closeness of this system. looking around it seems that both denon and marantz are running similar software packages. it seems that looking generally with airplay issues, it seems that 3rd party systems are not as reliable as the apple products. having had a bit of experience a long time ago using shairport/shairport4w, i had alot of issues with stream quality and from what i remember there were alot of debug messages when talking handshakes - this might be similar to 3rd party airplay systems.

i still suspect there are shortcomings in the software that handles airplay.

just after i posted my info regarding airplay, i ran into a few more issues - basically airplay would drop out on the AVR. however i dont get the -15008 itunes error anymore and just a disconnect-reconnect will get it going. one time i had to disconnect power to the AVR for a min to reset.

its alot more stable now than it ever was, however im still quite weary that it may re-occur (i.e i hold my breath each time itunes re-attempts to connect to the AVR).

the idea of using a apple TV for this is all well and good, but alot of receivers will not do zone 2 digital audio w/ simultaneous zone 1 input - which for me defeats the purpose of me buying this AVR!

^^ workarounds i.e. using analog loops etc kinda defeats the purpose of having streaming IMO.
tvdrew likes this.
post #274 of 278 Old 03-12-2015, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullando View Post
i still suspect there are shortcomings in the software that handles airplay.
just after i posted my info regarding airplay, i ran into a few more issues - basically airplay would drop out on the AVR.
Although this is a Denon/Marantz thread, I just wanted to mention that this issue is not just isolated to these two brands. I've experienced these same failures on Pioneer AVRs as well. My experience dates back to a year ago and others even further back. The link below describes my previous experience as well as a response from tvdrew.

Airplay always crashes at same song on Marantz SR7008

Please see posts: 75 and 76
tvdrew likes this.

Panasonic: PT-AE3000 Front Projector
Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1)
Onkyo: TX-NR809, TX-NR636
Klipsch: RF-82 II, RC-62 II, RS-52 II, RB-51 II, RB-41 II
SVS: PB-2000 x 2
Panasonic: DMP-BD85
post #275 of 278 Old 03-13-2015, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a Denon X2000 and Airplay died after four months. It seems it held out a long time before doing so. I took it to the dealer who sent it in and it is now, presumably, fixed. While I had nothing I was loaned an X2100 which died after two weeks, so I got the X1100 and it just died after three weeks. I am now listening to the X2000 again and it sounds good. I am wondering when the airplay will fail and I will see 'unknown error 15008' again. While I like the Audessey set up of Denon and Marantz I see Yamaha has a much more reliable reputation. I am pondering a switch even though the X2000 is only six months old. I enjoy Airplay. The Yamaha speaker setup is not as extensive as Audessey but I believe it works as well. Any ideas/ Dilemmas never cease.
post #276 of 278 Old 03-13-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBob1927 View Post
While I like the Audessey set up of Denon and Marantz I see Yamaha has a much more reliable reputation. I am pondering a switch even though the X2000 is only six months old. I enjoy Airplay. The Yamaha speaker setup is not as extensive as Audessey but I believe it works as well. Any ideas/ Dilemmas never cease.
From reading through forum threads over years, owner's of several AVR brands (Denon, Marantz, and Pioneer) have reported Airplay issues. To my knowledge, to date, neither the manufacturers or Apple has expressed any interest in pursuing a solution (tvdrew has a very plausible explanation for this). I am not aware of any Airplay issues with Yamaha or Sony.

WRT to Audyssey, I have personal experience with both MultEQ and MultEQ XT and preferred to turn Audyssey off for my system and room...but those having experience with MultEQ XT32, however, extoll its performance...YMMV. As you mentioned, Yamaha along with Pioneer and others have their own proprietary set-up and/or room calibration application. And lastly, this model year, Onkyo made a conscientious business decision not to renew Audyssey licensing for their products...a grave mistake believed by many. However, owner's of current model Onkyo AVRs , using AccuEQ, are reporting great sounding units and don't miss Audyssey.
Sales numbers and time will tell...

post #277 of 278 Old 03-14-2015, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
From reading through forum threads over years, owner's of several AVR brands (Denon, Marantz, and Pioneer) have reported Airplay issues. To my knowledge, to date, neither the manufacturers or Apple has expressed any interest in pursuing a solution (tvdrew has a very plausible explanation for this). I am not aware of any Airplay issues with Yamaha or Sony. ...
Not everyone has problems. I've had my Marantz for 4 years now and AirPlay has worked very well for me.

That said, if I were buying a new system, I'd plan to connect it with an Apple Airport Express rather than rely on non-Apple AirPlay support. The audio system manufacturers just want to 'tick another checkbox' on the marketing specs rather than ensure they have a quality implementation. BTW, I'm pretty sure that a single company (in Germany, Switzerland?) provides the sub-assembly for AirPlay support used by most of the big brands.

Craig
post #278 of 278 Old 03-14-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvr4Craig View Post
That said, if I were buying a new system, I'd plan to connect it with an Apple Airport Express rather than rely on non-Apple AirPlay support. The audio system manufacturers just want to 'tick another checkbox' on the marketing specs rather than ensure they have a quality implementation. BTW, I'm pretty sure that a single company (in Germany, Switzerland?) provides the sub-assembly for AirPlay support used by most of the big brands.
That's unfortunate for the consumer who believes he/she is purchasing apples to apples and not oranges to apples.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2313ci Networking Home Theater Receiver With Airplay Klipsch Rb51 Ii Reference Series Book , Denon , Marantz
Gear in this thread - 2313ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page