post #181 of 268 Old 12-30-2011, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhetor View Post

Ok...so I believe my AirPlay no-play problem may be my Netgear WNDR3700 router...there is not much info out there, but from what I can glean, the router does not support multicasting.....

If so (the dual band router I have not doing multicasting--there is not switch for it in the router manager software), could that be my airplay problem?

And, if so, are there routers (make and model) you all recommend that will definitely work with AirPlay on the Denon 4311ci?

Thanks

I have the Netgear WNDR3700 router connected to a 4311 (A100 actually) and AirPlay works properly, so the router's capability is not the issue. You mention in a previous post having an Airport Express in addition to using the Denon's built in AirPlay feature. If this is true, you should be using one or the other - not sure what would happen with both devices attempting to work simultaneously. Given that the Denon remote app is working, this seems much more likely to be a configuration issue than a "broken" 4311

These problems are difficult to diagnose remotely. Do you know anyone with networking experience who could give you a hand locally?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 268 Old 12-30-2011, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

I have the Netgear WNDR3700 router connected to a 4311 (A100 actually) and AirPlay works properly, so the router's capability is not the issue. You mention in a previous post having an Airport Express in addition to using the Denon's built in AirPlay feature. If this is true, you should be using one or the other - not sure what would happen with both devices attempting to work simultaneously. Given that the Denon remote app is working, this seems much more likely to be a configuration issue than a "broken" 4311

These problems are difficult to diagnose remotely. Do you know anyone with networking experience who could give you a hand locally?

Sorry for the confusion, bfreedma, I meant the wifi on the Mac, not another wifi router (as in airport express)....

Well, if your WNDR3700 works, so should mine. And, no, no one around I know who can help me (had someone close to me who could have, but passed away a few years ago).

But, maybe as a sign of a problem, I still have that rear USB/iPod port in the back which will not recognize my iPod and I sure do not want to leave it plugged not the flip door...might that be a sign of a hardware failure, maybe connected to the AirPlay problem?

Also, when I Hardwired my computer and the 4311 to the same network, iTunes still did not see the 4311 as a device...so.....interpretation?

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by! --Douglas Adams
post #183 of 268 Old 12-30-2011, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Update:

Did a firmware upgrade for the WNDR3700 router and reset all to defaults and open (no security) settings.....(thought perhaps starting clean with the router in case settings were off would help)...no AirPlay love.

Hard reset of the cable modem (SURFboard SB6121) ....no AirPlay love

Hard reset of the 4311...no AirPlay love and rear USB/iPod port still not working with iPod.

Turned off all Windows and Norton firewall settings...no AirPlay love.

Deleted and reinstalled AirPlay remote app for iPad...no AirPlay love.

the 4311 works fine with Internet radio and is visible on my network, but not to iTunes.

Any suggestions before I ship it back for a replacement? (Unfortunately bought from newegg on 19 Dec during warranty confusion days.)

I really don't want to send it back if it is me, but just don't see what else I can do to try to get AirPlay working. I wonder if rear USB/iPod port not working is connected to the AirPlay problem...a hardware issue? (the front USB port works great with the iPod, but don't want to leave the flip door open all the time.)

Any more suggestions?

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by! --Douglas Adams
post #184 of 268 Old 12-30-2011, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Can you try playing another device via the usb's?
post #185 of 268 Old 12-30-2011, 12:05 PM

Liked: 10
Hi Folks, I have a matantz na 7004 that can use airplay. Can I stream music services like MOG or Sirius xm from my ipod touch or windows pc if I buy the airplay upgrade?
post #186 of 268 Old 12-30-2011, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphfrom77 View Post

Can you try playing another device via the usb's?

Now I have AirPlay love too!!!

Thanks to you all, I not only have the rear USB/iPod port working . . .But I now have AirPlay love!

The key? A hard reset of the network card only (not the whole 4311--two different procedures) on the 4311...simple...would have saved me all that work, but I needed to update the modem firmware anyway.

Thanks you all for your understanding patience!

post #187 of 268 Old 12-31-2011, 12:50 PM

Wanted to post my Airplay connection problem and solution in case anyone has a similar setup to mine and is still trying to figure it out.

Equipment:
Denon 2112ci (newest firmware, just bought this a week ago)
Linksys E3000 router
iMac, iPhone, Android phone
Synology Diskstation 212 Network Attached Server
Denon is hooked up to ethernet via DLink Gb Switcher, which is accessing router via Netgear MoCA Coax Ethernet Adapter

After setup of Denon, everything worked fine including internet radio and streaming music from Synology through the Denon via Android phone (using Synology app) or via Net/USB input.

Only problem was Airplay icon would not show up in iTunes or iPhone. Not end of the world since I can just play my music files via Android phone from Synology, but regardless I have to have everything working since Airplay is what the receiver is supposed to be able to do.

Tried everything suggested in different forums but could not get Airplay to show up, certain it was an issue with the router setup. I read many posts where people changed to a new router and that solved the problem, but I was sure it was just a setting.

On Cisco forum, found a post for my router of where to enable "multicast" on router admin page (security tab, firewall). I guess this allows Apple's Bonjour to forward. But first had to update firmware. Did both, but still no Airplay icon. Unplugged Denon, unplugged DLink ethernet switcher, plugged both back in, and NOW I HAVE THE AIRPLAY ICON!

Been playing through Airplay for over an hour, and have had steady connection, no hiccups until someone called my landline cordless phone (which is on 2.4 GHz) which then interrupted the wifi signal and stopped the music. Got the telemarketer off the phone, checked the iPhone and Airplay icon came back, started up music again, running fine for couple hours now.

I'm hoping the reliable connection continues and I have no issues down the road.

So before thinking you need a new router, be sure to look at multicast enabling (as suggested in other posts here) and latest firmware.
post #188 of 268 Old 12-31-2011, 10:37 PM

On page 81 of the 4311 manual it talks about selecting either the Front or Rear port for USB playback. Ive not tried it myself, but that sounds like you can have one or the other, not both active at the same time. The default is the front port.

With respect to connectivity and Airplay, can you do a direct connection between the network port on the 4311 and the network card in your PC ( probably need a cross over cable) and set a static IP address in the 4311. You should be able to open a web browser in your pc and browse to the Denon and administer it. You could then try Airplay. This eliminates all other potential problems in your network that may cause a conflict.

Edit : Ahhh, ooppps, see you now have it working, good one.......
post #189 of 268 Old 01-08-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Just in case this can help anyone else:

Problem: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=7803

Possible Solution: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=7837

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Ogive

post #190 of 268 Old 01-09-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:

Now I have AirPlay love too!!!

Thanks to you all, I not only have the rear USB/iPod port working . . .But I now have AirPlay love!

The key? A hard reset of the network card only (not the whole 4311--two different procedures) on the 4311...simple...would have saved me all that work, but I needed to update the modem firmware anyway.

Thanks you all for your understanding patience!

Can you please list the steps you used to reset the network card only? I have a 4311 that is listed on my airplay devices at toimes and is not listed at other times. I am hoping that a reset will help. Driving me nuts. Thanks
post #191 of 268 Old 01-09-2012, 04:58 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 1368
Quote:

AFAIK, the network reset (up/down arrow keys) also includes a full microprocessor reset.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #192 of 268 Old 01-30-2012, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Airplay help needed. I did the update to my new 4311ci last night and was going to play around with it later in the week but got a surprise tonight that had me scrambling.

Tonight all of the sudden as I was watching TV with sound being provided by the 4311 the screen changed and next thing I know I'm hearing a different sound, the airplay screen comes on the TV and I'm listening to something from youtube being played by the kid on his iphone. I sat there stunned until I saw the volume slider start heading to 0db when I said "arghhh" and hit the control. Seems the kid had the apple remote app installed for some reason, no big deal not his fault but led me to quickly reevaluate airplay. For right now I shut it off by turning network standby to off. So here are my questions to decide if I want to use it or not -

1) Other than network standby on or off is there any other settings on my 4311ci that controls airplay functionality? If so where are they?
1b) How else can I turn on/off airplay on my 4311? Can I shut off airplay another way so I can use net standby on?

2) How do I limit who can control the 4311 with Airplay? Can anyone that is on my network and has the remote app use airplay functionality?

3) Any way to limit the volume to receiver control only?
post #193 of 268 Old 01-31-2012, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briant73 View Post

... something from youtube being played by the kid on his iphone. I sat there stunned until I saw the volume slider start heading to 0db ...

Best bet, set rules for "the kid" that he/she needs to have a look before cranking up tunes on a system somebody else is using. Mine pay more attention when I add "and we'll take away your if you can't follow these rules".

Craig
post #194 of 268 Old 01-31-2012, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvr4Craig View Post

Best bet, set rules for "the kid" that he/she needs to have a look before cranking up tunes on a system somebody else is using. Mine pay more attention when I add "and we'll take away your if you can't follow these rules".

Craig

I thought about that but decided to just turn network standby to off.
post #195 of 268 Old 02-04-2012, 04:15 PM

And that's the exact reason why AirPlay implementation in the 4311 is terrible
post #196 of 268 Old 02-05-2012, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Ok I turned network standby to off but Airplay still is showing up on I devices as an option if the 4311 is on. How do I shut off this feature from being accessed on the 4311?
post #197 of 268 Old 02-05-2012, 09:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:

Ok I turned network standby to off but Airplay still is showing up on I devices as an option if the 4311 is on. How do I shut off this feature from being accessed on the 4311?

You asked this on the 4311 forum, but for future reference, it must be an Airplay issue in general because my kid will also hijack my Airplay-enabled Pioneer SC-57 with his iPad if he's not careful, and there's no way to turn it off on the AVR. You basically have to avoid having the iPhone/iPad/whatever go to that Wifi connection on the Apple product itself.

I suppose you can always unplug your Internet connection, but that's a bit of a nuclear solution.

Stuart

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/...

post #198 of 268 Old 02-06-2012, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post

You asked this on the 4311 forum, but for future reference, it must be an Airplay issue in general because my kid will also hijack my Airplay-enabled Pioneer SC-57 with his iPad if he's not careful, and there's no way to turn it off on the AVR. You basically have to avoid having the iPhone/iPad/whatever go to that Wifi connection on the Apple product itself.

I suppose you can always unplug your Internet connection, but that's a bit of a nuclear solution.

I must say I rather not have airplay ever installed if you are correct about the way it functions. I am going to talk to Denon but don't have a lot of hope for a resolution.
post #199 of 268 Old 02-06-2012, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You guys know the iPad (or iPhone) has a "switch" that will let you choose the AVR or the iPad itself as the sound medium... Once you set it to the device itself you won't have an issue unless "the kid" sets it back to AVR...
post #200 of 268 Old 02-06-2012, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAppeal View Post

You guys know the iPad (or iPhone) has a "switch" that will let you choose the AVR or the iPad itself as the sound medium... Once you set it to the device itself you won't have an issue unless "the kid" sets it back to AVR...

I know that it asks and that the switch for youtube and pandora anytime you play audio shows up and is sitting there ready to be changed.
post #201 of 268 Old 02-06-2012, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I know that it asks and that the switch for youtube and pandora anytime you play audio shows up and is sitting there ready to be changed.

Airplay does not "ask". You are blowing this completely out of proportion. On iOS devices, there is a control button, next to the volume slider, that allows the user to choose where audio or audio-video output will be sent. The default is the last device used. One has to tap the control and then tap your device (the 4311) to select it for output.

If it bugs you that much, sell the 4311 and get something else. Otherwise, let 'the kid' know that it is rude to highjack the 4311 when someone else is using it. If you haven't got that much influence with your own child, Airplay is the least of your problems.

Craig
post #202 of 268 Old 02-15-2012, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
AVR: Marantz SR7005

Hey guys I'm having a problem which I know for a fact is an AVR or a network issue... AirPlay icon for the AVR is missing from all my airplay enabled apps/devices... First time it happened I reset the AVR, my whole network, iPad and even my htpc and the icon didn't come back until I unplugged the power cord on the AVR for a few minutes... Well, everything was fine until just now... Same issue again... Any ideas what could be causing this?

*I also have an apple tv and AirPlay icon for it, is never missing from neither of my devices.
*All my devices are on the same wi-fi network
*Network standby is set to "on."
*Wifi router is not dual band.

*AVR is connected to the net via those power line adapters... Not plugged to the power surge on either end (as its supposed to be.) Could this be the weak link even tho AirPlay was working fine for a long time before this problem?

Thanx ahead of time.

P.S. I'm just about illiterate when it comes to router settings... Could something be off on the wireless router settings?
post #203 of 268 Old 02-25-2012, 01:49 PM

This may be a dumb question (my specialty) but does Airplay require an iPad?

I'm considering upgrading to a Denon 4311ci and thought Airplay might be one of the benefits of upgrading. But I don't have an iPad (or iPhone or i-anything) so does this mean I couldn't use Airplay at all?
post #204 of 268 Old 02-25-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
No, not at all, You can use airplay with ITUNES as well right over the LAN. or you can use with Android OS as well There area a few apps that do this such as DoubleTwist.

http://gizmodo.com/5883721/the-top-7...-apple-airplay

More Above:

post #205 of 268 Old 02-25-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc88keyz View Post

No, not at all, You can use airplay with ITUNES as well right over the LAN. or you can use with Android OS as well There area a few apps that do this such as DoubleTwist.

http://gizmodo.com/5883721/the-top-7...-apple-airplay

More Above:

Thanks but I don't an Android either. When you say "over the LAN," does this mean you wouldn't need anything but, for example, a PC with music stored on it, a 4311ci (or other Airplay-enabled receiver) and a router or cable linking the two?

Are the apps just needed to serve as a remote control?
post #206 of 268 Old 02-25-2012, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

glad you asked ...yes you can use apps like itunes remote to control volume. when you press down on volume on the cell phone or up. denon volume goes up and down as well ...nice and convenient. but yes a pc or mac is all thats needed. Not sure if there is itunes for ubuntu or not. but i know mac and pc do this. NO iphone, android, ipad needed. just desktop connected via ethernet or wifi. to the same Local Area Network,
its that easy. The same way you would connect anything to your network static /DHCP.

you will see under speaker or volume, your common name for your Denon AVR, there is volume slder for each airplay or airtunes device on your network. This even works with the older classic atv boxes,and of course gen 2/ and soon 3 as well. you can set that name in your denon network setup menus. Its about that easy. The apple ecosytem is much fun once you start messing with it. I think Airplay is one of the better things they have come up with in years / Read up more about it if you like.

post #207 of 268 Old 02-26-2012, 07:20 AM

OK great! Thanks for the explanation.

As I mentioned, I'm trying to convince myself I really need to upgrade to a 4311ci and this Airplay feature is one more argument in favor.
post #208 of 268 Old 02-26-2012, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I didnt need the 4311ci either but bought it 2 years ago this coming november, on a whim, Always wanted a Denon, had ES's for 2 generations prior (3 actually, went from 33ES, to 3000ES, to 5300ES, to 4311. over a decade or so.

The other day i picked up a Refurb 3312, for my rebuild upstairs. I am using just one sub with the 4311 and have some heights. Dont have room for wides, or 7.1, not using any of the zones at this time either. Use the heck out of airplay love having 7 HDMI inputs. I use four for directv boxes, 1 for htpc, 1 for BD.

I think i went with the 4311 based on price, I asked my wife on thanksgiving weekend if i could get it, and to my suprise( i was expecting no) she obliged and said you have been wanting one of those Denons for a while. Is this a good deal, So i told her about cashback rewards and a 40% coupon on expo, and we bit at 1239 - 6% or something. Never regreted it.

Fast forward 1yr half. and I am waiting on my 3312CI coming soon. For this bonus i used two credit card promos $200 ea,(barclay NFL rewards CC) x 2, Ecost, let me do split paymentand and had a $75 credit for inventory issues with free shipping. So i will net pay $134, for my AVR3312CI, and will pick up a square trade waranty. Looking forward to completing my second Denon HT setup.

If i every get the funds freed up i will break ground on my home theater room and relocate the 4311 there, or something newer with some Emotiva lovin. Can dream it anyways for now.

I love my Denons and will not stray as long as they take care of all my HT needs. Flac is amazing to stream as well. The codec support and intuitiveness of the Denons is awesome and simple.

post #209 of 268 Old 02-26-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I wish demon shall offer AirPlay upgrade for my 3808ci
post #210 of 268 Old 02-26-2012, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

atv2 or soon 3 would make you happy.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2313ci Networking Home Theater Receiver With Airplay Klipsch Rb51 Ii Reference Series Book , Denon , Marantz
Gear in this thread - 2313ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page