AirPlay/ Denon & Marantz FAQ: start here - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 268 Old 10-08-2012, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I have a Morantz MCR603 connected by ethernet directly into my Virgin Hub, and I cant get the Airplay firmware update to install. Each time it fails with Download Failed AE
I spoke with a guy from Marantz this morning who said 9 times out of 10 this was down to router configurations. He advised normally MAC filtering and Firewall settings were the culprits.
But i have turned these settings off this evening, factory reset the unit and it is still failing with the same message.

Has anyone experienced the same issues and managed to resolve? I'd really appreciate any input.

Thanks
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 268 Old 10-08-2012, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Your router has to support Bonjour - the protocol behind AirPlay and AirPrint.
I had all sorts of problems and went through three different routers. Finally went and got an Apple Airport Extreme and all is perfect ever since. I'm sure there are others but I got tired of messing with it and went with Apple.
post #243 of 268 Old 10-09-2012, 07:20 AM

I see...I was told the Virgin hub was compatible, but thank you for your advice.
post #244 of 268 Old 11-05-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd000 View Post

I had the same "speaker not available" on my 3312CI for the last week but think I discovered what caused it. This is a distinct issue from most of the other issues discussed in this thread. I had originally setup a static IP for my receiver, and never had problems of any sort with my LAN.
Whenever I would start iTunes from my PC, use the Remote app, or any app supporting AirPlay, the receiver would turn on and the last song played would display. When I turned on my TV to see the UI, the flashing Net/USB icon would be the only thing I'd see. I'd try unselecting the receiver speaker's from iTunes (also have three Airport Express), but when I'd reselect the receiver speakers, I'd get the "speaker not available" message. I would unplug the receiver for a few moments, and AirPlay would work fine until I stopped streaming.
Finally realized I had only changed one setting in the previous week. I had set the GUI display time for Net/USB to "Always". When I set this back to the default, 30 seconds, the problem vanished and now my receiver's AirPlay starts and stops correctly.
If this was due to the GUI display setting, resetting back to the default setting would explain it.

Todd000: You are a genius!

I've been having this problem with my Denon 2312 since I installed it. I blamed everyone else in the house. I blamed the router. I blamed Denon (I guess I still do).

I configured it so the Display Time was set to Always when I first set up the unit. I cursed when the "Net/USB" screen saver took over the screen - even when songs changed.

I was doing AirPlay from my laptop, and hadn't been disconnecting between sessions, so assumed that was the problem. Then one time I did disconnect, and when I returned after a few days, was unable to reconnect. I noticed that the last song I had been playing when I disconnected was still showing on the 2312's front panel.

After much googling, found Global Groove's post and your response. I changed my display time to 30s, and the problem's solved. This also fixed my frustration with the screen saver. Now I can leave the TV on, and it displays the info at the start of each song.

Thanks!
post #245 of 268 Old 11-12-2012, 07:51 PM

I purchased a AVR-3311CI in 2010 shortly after it was released. I don't believe that the early 3311's are Airplay capable out of the box. At the time, Airplay was a $49 option.

I just got an ipod touch and am finally getting around to setting up Airplay. According to Denon's site, it's now a free upgrade. The feature upgrade function on the receiver however doesn't work. The upgrade option appears, as well as the upgrade ID number, but when I click upgrade status, it says "no feature added".

Can someone tell me if I can get the Airplay upgrade online? There's a phone number given, but this seems like a rather inefficient method and it's hard for me to call during business hours.
post #246 of 268 Old 11-12-2012, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1262
I had the same thing going after purchasing my Marantz. I just e-mailed them and gave them the ID number. 3 days later they e-mailed me back and told me to go ahead and initiate the upgrade. Worked fine.

Denon AVR-4520CI
Carver Amazing Originals/ Carver Amazing Silvers
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Projector: BenQ W1070
Some audio history:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=222FF...3449%21138&v=3
post #247 of 268 Old 11-12-2012, 11:07 PM

e-mail, now why didn't i think of that! I guess I was looking for some kind of online upgrade form. There's one for EU customers.

Thanks.
post #248 of 268 Old 11-13-2012, 06:37 PM

I emailed Denon requesting the Airplay upgrade and they had it ready for installation within a few hours. Excellent service in that regard.

Unfortunately, during installation, I'm getting the common "update retry" issue. The receiver goes into an endless cycle of retrying to update, failing, shutting down, powering back on and retrying again. As some have suggested, I've let it continue for hours, but it still won't get through the update. I confirmed that the unit had the latest firmware before starting the Airplay installation. Powering off via the power button and restarting while pressing the standard and dsp simulation buttons doesn't solve the problem, as it goes back into the retry process a few seconds later. I've searched for a solution online, but couldn't find anything definitive.

On Denon's site, they recommend checking the network configuration. Could someone elaborate on this a bit? I'd be happy temporarily abandoning the Airplay install and reverting to the previous state when I could at least use my receiver, but this doesn't seem possible. I really hope I don't have to take it in for service, as the warranty has just expired. At least I'm glad that I didn't pay the $49 that they used to charge for this upgrade!
post #249 of 268 Old 11-13-2012, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1262
I had to try the upgrade several times before it took hold. PIA for sure. If it didn't work after a few minutes I'd back out and try again right away. You might try leaving it over night before you hit the sack.
Good luck with it. Take a look at your router config and see if it supports Bounjour. Enable it if it isn't already. It was discussed a little earlier in this thread.

Denon AVR-4520CI
Carver Amazing Originals/ Carver Amazing Silvers
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Projector: BenQ W1070
Some audio history:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=222FF...3449%21138&v=3
post #250 of 268 Old 01-24-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmattheww View Post

... here's what I discovered about the new router. With default settings (DHCP, firewalls on, QoS on) and the firmware upgraded to the newest version, AirPlay would not work at all on the 2112 -- meaning the AirPlay icon would not show up in iTunes, iPhone, or iPad. There is a router setting on the DIR-655 called "Enable Multicast Streams" under Advanced > Advanced Settings.

After enabling this, and saving my changes, AirPlay immediately comes back and is now rock solid for a few days on iPhone 4 and PC w/ Wireless-N adapter. I'll post an update if any issues arise but I have my fingers crossed!

This has got me excited. Thank you! .. fingers crossed.
post #251 of 268 Old 01-25-2013, 11:28 AM

Can anyone confirm Airplay through a Comcast provided SNCD3GNV router? After all my troubleshooting still no luck seeing an airplay icon on the iphone, ipad or within Itunes. The following find which pertains to a media center stream issue leads me to believe it is the router: http://www.silicondust.com/support/hdhomerun/testfai/upnp_multicast_recv/
Even with all router firewall settings off including enable multicast; No airplay.
post #252 of 268 Old 02-15-2013, 08:46 AM

I have issues with airplay not being stable with my iOs devices (iPhone 5, and iPod), and desktop. But CAN get them to work alright.

I am having an issue with both laptops in the house.

No matter what I try I CANNOT get the airplay logo to show up on iTunes on either laptop, ever.

Any ideas?

I have a Marantz SR6006

Current Setup:

Marantz SR6006
Swans Diva 6.1 mains
Sounsplinter RL-P15 DIY sub (powered by EP2500)
Music Hall MMF2.2 turntable, Grado GT, Acrylic platter
Cambridge DacMagic Plus
Onkyo C-7070
post #253 of 268 Old 05-01-2013, 06:05 PM

Thread has been quite for awhile. Just got new 4311. Called Denon got the airplay upgrade. Downloaded upgrade. iTunes now will see the AVR but music will not play. It shows 00:00 0%.

Any thoughts?

post #254 of 268 Old 05-02-2013, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
If you don't mind a wild-@ss-guess; could it be a bitrate issue between your source media and Air Play? I think Air Play is limited to 16/48....?
post #255 of 268 Old 05-02-2013, 08:41 AM

I don't think it would be that, since it worked perfectly fine with my Marantz.

I signed into my Pandora via the AVR and it worked. I can't remember if I tried the denon radio function, but just seems odd that it looks like it talks with it and it stops. I have the AVR hardwired into a router so it is not a wireless issue.

Can you use a different Source besides Net/USB?

post #256 of 268 Old 06-12-2013, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Another one stuck here with the airplay upgrade.

As typical here, the receiver went into an endless countdown/fail/restart loop. After a reset (hold up/down keys), I've turned network standby on, toggled DHCP, and turned off notifications. Now it fails to even connect?? I've retried about 5 times. UGH Connection to the router is wired and perfect high speed 35+mb/sec.

Is it time to call support? frown.gif
post #257 of 268 Old 06-16-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Another one stuck here with the airplay upgrade.

As typical here, the receiver went into an endless countdown/fail/restart loop. After a reset (hold up/down keys), I've turned network standby on, toggled DHCP, and turned off notifications. Now it fails to even connect?? I've retried about 5 times. UGH Connection to the router is wired and perfect high speed 35+mb/sec.

Is it time to call support? frown.gif

Scratch that - got it to work finally. smile.gif
post #258 of 268 Old 07-17-2013, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

AIRPLAY QUICK PLAY:

1) Do the AirPlay upgrade.

2) Do a Denon version retrieve (standby+status+return)

3) Start iTunes, select receiver in Airplay icon (bottom right) icon must be blue: play music.

4) Select iPad, REMOTE APP play music.

take note: airplay hijacks the main zone of the AVR:and limits the video processor ; all main and zones default to NET/USB to support airplay: so there is no independent zone out of airplay. Also, the video processor is limited: only video is now playing screens

here are some troubleshooting tips not in any particular order: please feel free to suggest additions/ edits to this primer [my tips are based on Denon AVR-A100 and Mac OS X]

Setup

--first you must purchase Airplay from the Denon site http://shop.denon.com/Airplay-Upgrade-W4.aspx there is a link on the page to download the 4 page upgrade manual (click on your model number first)

perform the AVR firmware upgrade et al : there is a 4 page pdf on the Denon site that details this: be sure when you enter the upgrade ID that you do not confuse zeroes and o's

--check you have latest version of iTunes & iPad firmware

--check app store for any updates for REMOTE app

Troubleshooting:

--error 15006: see this link: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post19776555

-- airplay hijacks the main zone of the AVR: all main and zones default to NET/USB to support airplay: so there is no independent zone out of airplay

--power cycle the Denon (remove AC plug)

--reboot computer: reboot router to ensure network connection

--go to iTunes bottom right icon that says multiple speakers (airplay icon): it should be blue. click on it and be sure the Denon AVR is listed and a check mark appears showing it is selected: if not double click on it to force a connect: Denon CS says it may take several tries

--go into Denon menu/ network/ other and be sure network standby is ON

--on Denon front panel, hold return and left arrow for 3 seconds: display should confirm no updates needed.you can also check in menu manual setup, option 3, add new feature

-- restarting airplay: toggle the airplay icon in iTunes from the AVR to PC or some other input, then back again to restart

Firmware update fails and unit keeps trying to upgrade:

--disconnect any third party control system from the RS232 port before attempting a firmware push

--after a reset, go quickly into menu/manual setup/option 3 and turn off firmware & upgrade notification [Network Setup/Upgrade Notification = Off]

--try to connect Ethernet direct to router (reboot it after connecting) to see if that works for the update rather than going through a switch

--go into Denon menu/ network/ other and be sure network standby is ON

-- reports of the Denon appearing with and extra identifier and throwing an error on selection. I had that problem with an iTunes instance that was already running. I restarted that iTunes, selected the 4311, played music. It was all quite easy and painless iTunes run on Macs.

--if necessary, do a network/microprocessor reset: you may lose all your settings if not saved

I don't want Airplay or its firmware update:
go into menu/manual setup/option 3 and turn off upgrade notification [Network Setup/Upgrade Notification = Off

To start Airplay: go to the iPad REMOTE app: it should show your iTunes library: select your song or radio to start playing: it may automatically change the Denon input to NET/USB [or set it manually to NET/USB] and airplay should start

From Apple site:general Airplay info

Troubleshooting AirPlay

If your Apple TV, Airport Express, or compatible 3rd-party device does not appear in the AirPlay menu, follow these steps to resolve the issue:

1. Verify that your AirPlay-enabled devices have the most up-to-date software or firmware (see the table above for minimum AirPlay requirements).

2. Verify that all your AirPlay-enabled devices are on the same network.

3. Verify that your iOS device has Wi-Fi turned on and is associated with the same network as your AirPlay-enabled device.

4. Ensure that AirPlay is enabled on the device to which you are trying to stream content (for example, you can disable or enable AirPlay on Apple TV in the AirPlay menu: Settings > AirPlay).

5. Check Internet or network connectivity on all affected devices.

6. Temporarily disable firewalls (both network and local) and security software. Security software and firewalls may block ports that AirPlay uses to stream content. You can often resolve issues with security software by updating, correctly configuring, or uninstalling security software.

7. Ensure that other devices are not trying to stream to the same AirPlay-enabled device at the same time.

8. Turn off Bluetooth on your iOS device by tapping Settings > General > Bluetooth

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4437

How to Configure the Apple iTunes REMOTE APP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_hIlFBKZ_A

How to Enable iTunes in Windows XP/Vista/7 Firewall

WINDOWS XP

When the firewall in Windows XP is enabled, it may prevent iTunes from accessing the Internet unless iTunes is listed as an exception.

To make sure that your firewall is not blocking iTunes:

1. On the Start menu, click Control Panel

2. Double-click Internet Connections

3. Right-click the network interface you use for Internet access and from the shortcut menu choose Properties.

4. In the Properties window, click the Advanced tab.

5. In the Windows Firewall section, click the Settings button.

6. In the Windows Firewall window, make sure that the "Don't allow exceptions" option is not selected, and then click the Exceptions tab.

7. Make sure that iTunes is checked under "Programs and Services" and click OK. If iTunes isn't listed under Programs and Services, click Add Program. If iTunes isn't listed in the Programs list, click Browse, navigate to the iTunes program (often at C:\\\\Program Files\\\\iTunes\\\\iTunes), select it and click Open. Note that iTunes may also appear as "iTunes.exe."

8. Click OK in the "Add a Program" window.

9. Click OK in the "Windows Firewall" windows.

10. Click OK in the Properties window.

WINDOWS VISTA

1. From the Start menu, choose Control Panel.

2. Click Security and click Windows Firewall.

Note: in the Classic View of Control Panel, click Windows Firewall.

3. Click Change Settings.

4. If Windows needs your permission to continue, click Continue.

5. In the Windows Firewall Settings window, make sure that the "Block all incoming connections" option is not selected, and then click the Exceptions tab.

To make sure that iTunes appears in your list of programs:

1. Make sure that iTunes is checked under "Programs or port" and click OK.

2. If iTunes isn't listed under Programs and Services, click Add Program, click Browse and navigate to the iTunes program (often at C:\\Program Files\\iTunes\\iTunes).

Note: For 64 bit editions of Windows navigate to C:\\Program Files (x86)\\iTunes\\iTunes.

3. Select iTunes program and click Open.

Note: iTunes may also appear as "iTunes.exe."

4. Click OK in the "Add a Program" window.

5. Click OK in the "Windows Firewall Settings" window.

6. Click OK in the Properties window.

WINDOWS 7

1. From the Start menu, choose Control Panel.

2. Click System and Security and click Windows Firewall.

Note: in the Icons View of Control Panel, click Windows Firewall.

3. Click "Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall."

4. In the "Allowed Programs and Features" window, choose Change Settings.

5. Make sure that iTunes is checked for your network in use.

6. If iTunes isn't listed, click "Allow another program", click Browse, and navigate to the iTunes program (Usually in C:\\Program Files\\iTunes\\iTunes).

Note: For 64-bit editions of Windows, navigate to C:\\Program Files (x86)\\iTunes\\iTunes.

7. Select iTunes and click Open.

Note: iTunes may also appear as "iTunes.exe."

8. Click Add in the "Add a Program" window.

9. Click OK in the Allowed Programs window.

10. Close the Windows Firewall window.

Useful Apple/AirPlay links:

Apple iTunes 10: About playing music with AirPlay
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4325

caution: airplay hijacks the main zone of the AVR: all main and zones default to NET/USB to support airplay: so there is no independent zone out of airplay

If you decide Airplay is not for you: check out the Apple TV2

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post19800191

Thanks for posting this. Trying to get this sorted on my 4311.

Is there a better link for http://shop.denon.com/Airplay-Upgrade-W4.aspx ? That one no longer works (just goes to the main Denon web page), and when I then use the support/upgrade/firmward links, there is a drop down list for model numbers and the 4311 is not listed.

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #259 of 268 Old 07-17-2013, 06:46 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1867 Post(s)
Liked: 1725
Just call Denon directly as they no longer support the website upgrade notice.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #260 of 268 Old 07-18-2013, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Just call Denon directly as they no longer support the website upgrade notice.

Cool. What data do I need when I call? I assume they expect I'll be in front of the unit when on the phone, to provide some identifying information at the very least, and perhaps to run through some special sequence of codes.

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #261 of 268 Old 07-18-2013, 09:01 AM

I believe i is the MAC address IIRC. Otherwise have the usual suspects of Model#/SN#.

post #262 of 268 Old 07-18-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

Cool. What data do I need when I call? I assume they expect I'll be in front of the unit when on the phone, to provide some identifying information at the very least, and perhaps to run through some special sequence of codes.

When you go through the upgrade on your receiver it will give you an activation code. Call Denon customer support and tell them you want to activate Airplay. They will forward you to another department possibly. They will then ask you for your model number and activation code. Perhaps they may even ask for the SN and MAC, but I don't remember. Just be prepared to provide that information. It's on the back of the receiver and on the original packing box if you still have it. They want you to be at the receiver, but it's not required. Once you give them the code they activate it on their end. When they tell you it's done go back to your receiver and run the upgrade again. It should proceed without problems if you don't have any network issues. I think that's the process. It's been quite some time since I activated my unit.
post #263 of 268 Old 07-18-2013, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 478
^^^

I just activated a Marantz NA7004 and the process has changed a bit: it depends on the model as now the upgrade is free on some models of Denon & Marantz

on the NA7004, I had to have the model number and the upgrade ID code which you get from the upgrade menu on the device: when you call they are very helpful and will guide you through the process

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #264 of 268 Old 12-07-2013, 01:58 PM

I'm having a weird Airplay issue that I hope someone can help me with. I just started using the Airplay feature on my 1613 receiver. It works fine when I initially select the 1613 in iTunes. But if I switch to the computer speakers and then try to switch back to the receiver, I get an error message that says "Airplay Device Denon AVR-1613 is in use". I keep getting this error message until I power down the receiver (unplug it from the AC). Airplay then works fine until the next time I switch to the computer speakers and try to switch back to the receiver.

The receiver is hardwired to an Asus AC66U router. I set up a static IP on the receiver in the hopes that would fix the problem, but no such luck. I'd appreciate any suggestions as I'd really like to use Airplay without hitches. Thanks.
post #265 of 268 Old 12-08-2013, 09:17 PM

This sounds like a problem I was having that didn't seem related, but was.

There's a Denon setting to display the song name. On my 2312, it is under System Setup, Option Setup, GUI, NET/USB:
  • Always
  • 30seconds
  • 10seconds
  • Off

The default is 30s, but when I changed it to Always, it started hanging. Change it back to the default, and I'll bet it starts working as it should.

If you change it to Always, the Airplay connection will hang - as if some other device is connected, and you can't reconnect your own AirPlay device.

I found this somewhere else on these forums, and it saved me from a tonne of frustration!
post #266 of 268 Old 01-14-2014, 05:23 PM

Purchased a marantz sr5008 and have performed the firmware update but cannot connect to AirPlay with any devices. Hard wired to network router. What am I to do. I see my apple tv.
post #267 of 268 Old 01-14-2014, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hans, can you verify that the network connection works by accessing Internet Radio? If you have a Pandora or Spotify account, have you tried those?

For me, once my NR1602 was on-line, it showed up under the air play options on my iPhone/iPad/etc. It may be worth a shot to reboot your mobile device? I'm just pulling at straws though - Marantz support is pretty good if you have to reach out to them, they've helped me before.
post #268 of 268 Old 01-15-2014, 07:48 AM

Ya... I tried that.  I am on pandora etc... it works fine.  Also,  I lost ability to send audio through HDMI last night so I had to connect an optical cable to the receiver to the Cable box to get audio out of that.  :(  Sound familiar?

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2313ci Networking Home Theater Receiver With Airplay Klipsch Rb51 Ii Reference Series Book , Denon , Marantz
Gear in this thread - 2313ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page