post #1 of 268 Old 01-07-2011, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 466
AIRPLAY QUICK PLAY:

1) Do the AirPlay upgrade.
2) Do a Denon version retrieve (standby+status+return)
3) Start iTunes, select receiver in Airplay icon (bottom right) icon must be blue: play music.
4) Select iPad, REMOTE APP play music.

take note: airplay hijacks the main zone of the AVR:and limits the video processor ; all main and zones default to NET/USB to support airplay: so there is no independent zone out of airplay. Also, the video processor is limited: only video is now playing screens

here are some troubleshooting tips not in any particular order: please feel free to suggest additions/ edits to this primer [my tips are based on Denon AVR-A100 and Mac OS X]

Setup

--first you must purchase Airplay from the Denon site http://shop.denon.com/Airplay-Upgrade-W4.aspx there is a link on the page to download the 4 page upgrade manual (click on your model number first)
perform the AVR firmware upgrade et al : there is a 4 page pdf on the Denon site that details this: be sure when you enter the upgrade ID that you do not confuse zeroes and o's

--check you have latest version of iTunes & iPad firmware

--check app store for any updates for REMOTE app

Troubleshooting:

--error 15006: see this link: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post19776555
-- airplay hijacks the main zone of the AVR: all main and zones default to NET/USB to support airplay: so there is no independent zone out of airplay

--power cycle the Denon (remove AC plug)

--reboot computer: reboot router to ensure network connection

--go to iTunes bottom right icon that says multiple speakers (airplay icon): it should be blue. click on it and be sure the Denon AVR is listed and a check mark appears showing it is selected: if not double click on it to force a connect: Denon CS says it may take several tries

--go into Denon menu/ network/ other and be sure network standby is ON

--on Denon front panel, hold return and left arrow for 3 seconds: display should confirm no updates needed.you can also check in menu manual setup, option 3, add new feature

-- restarting airplay: toggle the airplay icon in iTunes from the AVR to PC or some other input, then back again to restart

Firmware update fails and unit keeps trying to upgrade:

--disconnect any third party control system from the RS232 port before attempting a firmware push

--after a reset, go quickly into menu/manual setup/option 3 and turn off firmware & upgrade notification [Network Setup/Upgrade Notification = Off]

--try to connect Ethernet direct to router (reboot it after connecting) to see if that works for the update rather than going through a switch

-- reports of the Denon appearing with and extra identifier and throwing an error on selection. I had that problem with an iTunes instance that was already running. I restarted that iTunes, selected the 4311, played music. It was all quite easy and painless iTunes run on Macs.

--if necessary, do a network/microprocessor reset: you may lose all your settings if not saved

I don't want Airplay or its firmware update:
go into menu/manual setup/option 3 and turn off upgrade notification [Network Setup/Upgrade Notification = Off

To start Airplay: go to the iPad REMOTE app: it should show your iTunes library: select your song or radio to start playing: it may automatically change the Denon input to NET/USB [or set it manually to NET/USB] and airplay should start
[b]

From Apple site:general Airplay info

Troubleshooting AirPlay
If your Apple TV, Airport Express, or compatible 3rd-party device does not appear in the AirPlay menu, follow these steps to resolve the issue:
1. Verify that your AirPlay-enabled devices have the most up-to-date software or firmware (see the table above for minimum AirPlay requirements).
2. Verify that all your AirPlay-enabled devices are on the same network.
3. Verify that your iOS device has Wi-Fi turned on and is associated with the same network as your AirPlay-enabled device.
4. Ensure that AirPlay is enabled on the device to which you are trying to stream content (for example, you can disable or enable AirPlay on Apple TV in the AirPlay menu: Settings > AirPlay).
5. Check Internet or network connectivity on all affected devices.
6. Temporarily disable firewalls (both network and local) and security software. Security software and firewalls may block ports that AirPlay uses to stream content. You can often resolve issues with security software by updating, correctly configuring, or uninstalling security software.
7. Ensure that other devices are not trying to stream to the same AirPlay-enabled device at the same time.
8. Turn off Bluetooth on your iOS device by tapping Settings > General > Bluetooth

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4437

How to Configure the Apple iTunes REMOTE APP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_hIlFBKZ_A

How to Enable iTunes in Windows XP/Vista/7 Firewall
WINDOWS XP

When the firewall in Windows XP is enabled, it may prevent iTunes from accessing the Internet unless iTunes is listed as an exception.
To make sure that your firewall is not blocking iTunes:
1. On the Start menu, click Control Panel
2. Double-click Internet Connections
3. Right-click the network interface you use for Internet access and from the shortcut menu choose Properties.
4. In the Properties window, click the Advanced tab.
5. In the Windows Firewall section, click the Settings button.
6. In the Windows Firewall window, make sure that the "Don't allow exceptions" option is not selected, and then click the Exceptions tab.
7. Make sure that iTunes is checked under "Programs and Services" and click OK. If iTunes isn't listed under Programs and Services, click Add Program. If iTunes isn't listed in the Programs list, click Browse, navigate to the iTunes program (often at C:\\\\Program Files\\\\iTunes\\\\iTunes), select it and click Open. Note that iTunes may also appear as "iTunes.exe."
8. Click OK in the "Add a Program" window.
9. Click OK in the "Windows Firewall" windows.
10. Click OK in the Properties window.

WINDOWS VISTA
1. From the Start menu, choose Control Panel.
2. Click Security and click Windows Firewall.
Note: in the Classic View of Control Panel, click Windows Firewall.
3. Click Change Settings.
4. If Windows needs your permission to continue, click Continue.
5. In the Windows Firewall Settings window, make sure that the "Block all incoming connections" option is not selected, and then click the Exceptions tab.

To make sure that iTunes appears in your list of programs:
1. Make sure that iTunes is checked under "Programs or port" and click OK.
2. If iTunes isn't listed under Programs and Services, click Add Program, click Browse and navigate to the iTunes program (often at C:\\Program Files\\iTunes\\iTunes).
Note: For 64 bit editions of Windows navigate to C:\\Program Files (x86)\\iTunes\\iTunes.
3. Select iTunes program and click Open.
Note: iTunes may also appear as "iTunes.exe."
4. Click OK in the "Add a Program" window.
5. Click OK in the "Windows Firewall Settings" window.
6. Click OK in the Properties window.

WINDOWS 7

1. From the Start menu, choose Control Panel.
2. Click System and Security and click Windows Firewall.
Note: in the Icons View of Control Panel, click Windows Firewall.
3. Click "Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall."
4. In the "Allowed Programs and Features" window, choose Change Settings.
5. Make sure that iTunes is checked for your network in use.
6. If iTunes isn't listed, click "Allow another program", click Browse, and navigate to the iTunes program (Usually in C:\\Program Files\\iTunes\\iTunes).
Note: For 64-bit editions of Windows, navigate to C:\\Program Files (x86)\\iTunes\\iTunes.
7. Select iTunes and click Open.
Note: iTunes may also appear as "iTunes.exe."
8. Click Add in the "Add a Program" window.
9. Click OK in the Allowed Programs window.
10. Close the Windows Firewall window.

Useful Apple/AirPlay links:

Apple iTunes 10: About playing music with AirPlay
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4325[/quote]

caution: airplay hijacks the main zone of the AVR: all main and zones default to NET/USB to support airplay: so there is no independent zone out of airplay

If you decide Airplay is not for you: check out the Apple TV2

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post19800191

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 268 Old 01-07-2011, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

please feel free to add comments/ suggestions to make this thread helpful to all Airplay/ Denon users: feel free to post questions here as well

if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #3 of 268 Old 01-07-2011, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 90
can us marantz owners play too?

question: has anyone else had a problem with the "wizz" app after doing the airplay upgrade?

i continually get "connection failed: check device"... did all the usual stuff, power cycled, etc.

any ideas?

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #4 of 268 Old 01-07-2011, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

can us marantz owners play too?

sure

post #5 of 268 Old 01-07-2011, 03:57 PM

Liked: 10
I am in the market for a new receiver, and I am wondering if a Denon 3311 can do this:

1) Stream music from my iTunes library stored on a NAS (Dlink DNS-323 - this NAS has an iTunes server application) to Zone 2 (likely through pre-outs to another old receiver/amp since I am running a 7.1 setup for Zone 1).
2) Be able to be controllable by a wifi iPad to skip tracks, select artists, etc wirelessly.

Basically, I would like to replicate the Sonos system without having to buy a Sonos Zone Player (ZD-90).

Does anyone know if this is possible using AirTunes? I read on the 4311 Official thread about someone who indicated that he could not assign the internet source to zone 2 without also sending it to zone 1. This would be a deal breaker for me as I need the ability to have zone 1 in tv or movie mode while simultaneously streaming music to zone 2.

Thanks.
post #6 of 268 Old 01-07-2011, 04:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

1) on my av7005, i am streaming through the analog pre-outs to zone 2 with no problem... i tested sending it to just the main zone, just zone 2 and both zones at the same...

2) yes. you would run the apple "remote" app on the ipad to control the itunes client running on your nas...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #7 of 268 Old 01-07-2011, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
1) on my av7005, i am streaming through the analog pre-outs to zone 2 with no problem... i tested sending it to just the main zone, just zone 2 and both zones at the same...
can you test it running a separate input, say DVR for main zone, and then stream airplay over zone 2?

on the Denon, as soon as you set zone 2 airplay, it sets main zone to NET/USB

post #8 of 268 Old 01-07-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
When this happens, could you change the zone 1 back to DVR via the iPad app (and would the zone 2 still remain on airplay)? Thanks.
post #9 of 268 Old 01-07-2011, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by strugs View Post
When this happens, could you change the zone 1 back to DVR via the iPad app (and would the zone 2 still remain on airplay)? Thanks.
it stops streaming if you do that: then you have to go back to the iTunes airplay icon to restart streaming....which resets main zone to NET/USB

if someone else has a workaround or I am missing something here...

post #10 of 268 Old 01-07-2011, 04:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
can you test it running a separate input, say DVR for main zone, and then stream airplay over zone 2?

yup, tested it...

results follow:

1) with main zone on a different input, i cannot even select net/usb from zone 2... well, i can select it, but airplay isn't activated...

2) with main zone on net/usb, i can select net/usb on zone 2, get it there, and turn off the main zone and still get it on zone 2...

3) with main zone on net/usb, i can select any other source and send it to zone 2 (i.e. listen to airplay in main zone and cd in zone 2)...

so: no zone 2 when main zone ISN'T on net/usb (or off)...

Quote:
nope, tried it... see above and below... that's a no go...

Quote:
it stops streaming if you do that: then you have to go back to the iTunes airplay icon to restart streaming....which resets main zone to NET/USB

if someone else has a workaround or I am missing something here...
i don't think you are missing anything...

- chris

post #11 of 268 Old 01-07-2011, 04:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

can someone try out the wizz app (or whatever it's called on the denon side of the house?) for me and see if it still works for them?

thanks.

- chris

post #12 of 268 Old 01-07-2011, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

added this note to faq:

take note: airplay hijacks the main zone of the AVR: all main and zones default to NET/USB to support airplay: so there is no independent zone out of airplay

post #13 of 268 Old 01-07-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin
take note: airplay hijacks the main zone of the AVR: all main and zones default to NET/USB to support airplay: so there is no independent zone out of airplay
That is very disappointing. I wonder if it is something that could be rectified with a firmware update.
post #14 of 268 Old 01-07-2011, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

--power cycle the Denon (remove AC plug)

--reboot computer: reboot router to ensure network connection

Perhaps you should emphasize that these are *trouble-shooting steps*.

I simply:
1) Did the AirPlay upgrade.
2) Did a Denon version retrieve (standby+status+return)
3) Started iTunes, selected my 4311, played music.
4) Selected the 4311 on my iPad, played music.

I noticed some reports of the Denon appearing with and extra identifier and throwing an error on selection. I had that problem with an iTunes instance that was already running. I restarted that iTunes, selected the 4311, played music. It was all quite easy and painless but all of my iTunes instances run on Macs.
post #15 of 268 Old 01-08-2011, 04:13 AM

Can someone PLEASE try out a standard Net/ USB connection via Zone 2 and see if it hijacks the Main Zone as has been reported with Airplay?

One of the guys on an Aussie fourm confirms that it does in fact work 100%, which leads me to believe that it's a fault with the Airplay feature (I'm hoping anyway)

thanks
TB
post #16 of 268 Old 01-08-2011, 06:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

on my av7005 (it would be helpful if people note which units they have too)..

that would be a big 10-4... no hijack of main zone when streaming from a media server to zone 2, never even "blipped" the cd that is playing in the main zone...

any other scenarios you'd like me to try out?

on another note, has anyone tried out the wizz app for me yet?

- chris

post #17 of 268 Old 01-08-2011, 07:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That is very disappointing. I wonder if it is something that could be rectified with a firmware update.

without knowing the "how" part of "how they implemented it", that's anybody's guess right now...

it may (or may not) be a "simple" fix, or it may require an entire re-write of the code...

anyone got a direct line to denonjeff?

- chris

post #18 of 268 Old 01-08-2011, 07:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

anyone got a direct line to denonjeff?

also, if anyone is at CES and happens across this thread, could they bring this up with the denon people there?

can't hurt to start beating the drums early for a "fix"...

- chris

post #19 of 268 Old 01-08-2011, 08:03 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1738 Post(s)
Liked: 1685
I just alerted Jeff and asked if he was aware of the issue.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #20 of 268 Old 01-08-2011, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

thanks jd...

- chris

post #21 of 268 Old 01-08-2011, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

on another note, has anyone tried out the wizz app for me yet?

The Denon app worked before and after my 4311 AirPlay upgrade. When using AirPlay you get a normal net/usb display.

Is that what you're asking?
post #22 of 268 Old 01-08-2011, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

yup, thanks...

mine refuses to connect... i just get "Connection Failed. Please check the Device"...

tried a myriad of things, power cycling, hard resetting iphone, uninstalling/reinstalling app, etc. i'm a bit stumped at this point...

- chris

post #23 of 268 Old 01-08-2011, 03:22 PM

Liked: 15
I just downloaded the Airplay feature for my 3311 and am having trouble with it, in all honesty, I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to networking beyond plug and play stuff, so I need some help.

I keep getting the below message when I try to connect to my living room stereo with AirPlay, anyone else getting this? Any thoughts on what might be going on here?

An unknown error (-15006) occurred while connecting to the remote speaker "DENON:AVR-3311"

Brains: Denon AVR-3311CI

Mouth: Fronts & Cener: Klipsch RF-82 II & RC-62 II Subwoofer: Currently Open

Stimulation: Samsung 40" LCD, Apple TV, Xbox One, Pro-ject Debut III
XBL Gamertag: IsoJoel523
post #24 of 268 Old 01-08-2011, 08:58 PM

I posted this in the 4311 thread, but thought I would cross post it here for relevance......

Just thinking about this Airplay situation, I guess it makes sense it works the way it does.
If you are just using the Denon to control the net/ usb source, it's the Denon that is in control of where the music comes from and where it is played, effectively it is "pulling" the music from the network under it's control.
With Airplay, you are effectively "pushing" the music at the Denon which has no idea where to play it, so it just uses as a minimum Zone 1.

What probably needs to happen is either the Denon (or Marantz) gets a menu choice that says By Default play Airtunes through Zones 1 or 2 or 3 or a combination of up to all 3.

What is the most likely usable scenario IMO is that the Denon shows up in the Airtunes device (iTunes, iPad, iPod etc) as multiple speakers, one for each Zone. You could then direct where you want the music to go to from the list.
post #25 of 268 Old 01-09-2011, 12:39 AM

? just tried to install Airplay but it got stuck on "Ether ?MG" - 1 min for about 4 hours. Ended up pulling the plug. Now every time ? start up my Denon 3311ci it tries to continue the install. ? let it try but always end up with "download fail". After a microprocessor reset it stops trying to upgrade until ? ask it to via "firmware upgrade". The process of updating, failing, resetting then continues.
? know that from the Denon 4311 and 3311 threads that this is a problem for some people trying to perform the firmware upgrade (? performed this fine when ? first purchased my AVR but ? was curious as to whether anybody had experienced this during an Airplay Upgrade and whether anyone in this situation eventually managed to successfully complete this upgrade. Denon Service has been of little help.
Thanks
post #26 of 268 Old 01-09-2011, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellett View Post

? just tried to install Airplay but it got stuck on "Ether ?MG" - 1 min for about 4 hours. Ended up pulling the plug. Now every time ? start up my Denon 3311ci it tries to continue the install. ? let it try but always end up with "download fail". After a microprocessor reset it stops trying to upgrade until ? ask it to via "firmware upgrade". The process of updating, failing, resetting then continues.
? know that from the Denon 4311 and 3311 threads that this is a problem for some people trying to perform the firmware upgrade (? performed this fine when ? first purchased my AVR but ? was curious as to whether anybody had experienced this during an Airplay Upgrade and whether anyone in this situation eventually managed to successfully complete this upgrade. Denon Service has been of little help.
Thanks

couple of things:

--disconnect any third party control system from the RS232 port before attempting a firmware push

--after a reset, go quickly into menu/manual setup/option 3 and turn off firmware & upgrade notification [Network Setup/Upgrade Notification = Off]

--try to connect Ethernet direct to router (reboot it after connecting) to see if that works for the update rather than going through a switch

post #27 of 268 Old 01-10-2011, 05:36 PM

Denon AVR-3311CI
Samsung UN46C8000
Octava HDMI 4x4 Cat5/6 Switch

I successfully upgraded to the AirPlay feature. I can get it to play from my iTunes library on my iPhone4. I cannot get it to play from the iTunes library on my computer. iTunes recognizes the Denon. When it attempts to connect I get the following: An error occurred while connecting to remote speaker "DENON: [AVR-3311CI]". An unknown error occurred (-15000).
post #28 of 268 Old 01-10-2011, 08:14 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellett View Post

Thanks

If at all possible, try plugging your Ethernet internet connection directly into the receiver if it's currently configured wirelessly (or, if you can't do that, verify wireless is strong and not dropping out). This can be caused by an intermittant or spotty internet connection.

I had a firmware upgrade do this very thing on my Marantz receiver, and it came down to my WiFi connection being unstable.

Once I had a solid connection, the upgrade finished successfully (did take several minutes - give it like 20).
post #29 of 268 Old 01-11-2011, 10:42 AM
wsj

I have installed the Airplay feature on a Denon AVR-4311CI and am terribly disappointed that it cannot be switched to Zone 2 or Zone 3 while the Main Zone is on a different source. Does anyone know if this is a planned software enhancement for the future?
post #30 of 268 Old 01-11-2011, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

scroll down about half a dozen posts...

- chris

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2313ci Networking Home Theater Receiver With Airplay Klipsch Rb51 Ii Reference Series Book , Denon , Marantz
Gear in this thread - 2313ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page