First Receiver Onkyo HT-RC260 or Pioneer VSX-920 to power basic 5.1 small room system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-07-2011, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am trying to decide which receiver is best for a small bedroom (10x15) setup, that is currently 3.0 but will be 5.1 in the next few months.

Currently, I Have-
Two Polk Monitor 60s
One Polk CS2

I will be connecting an Xbox 360 and PS3 Slim, both via HDMI. I may also add an HDMI cable box soon.
I do not have a 3D TV and do not plan to get one soon, but would like Audio return channel.
I also have little use for the Pioneer's iPod interface.

The system will be for about 70% Movie use, 30% Gaming.

I would prefer to get either receiver from Amazon, as I have a gift card their.
Also, seeing as the Onkyo is $329 and the Pioneer is $278, is the Onkyo worth the $50? And honestly, I dont see my self using the video upconversion very much (PS3 upconverts on its own) would I be able to get by with a lesser receiver?

I am open to other receiver suggestions, but it seems the general consensus is that the Polks are too "bright" to be paired with a "bright" Yamaha or H/K.

I will eventually be purchasing either some bookshelf rear speakers or some better towers and moving the 60s to the back, as well as add a sub (perhaps a BIC F12? Suggestions for ~$200?).
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-07-2011, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Either will do the job just fine , but if it were me and i wanted to spend close to $300 it would be a Onkyo 608 @ 319.00 or a Onkyo 707 $ 349.00

and as for the Polks being too bright. I have a pair of them and with a little tone controls there just fine. I dont think there bright anyway , I would consider them a little muddy though. You will find most people on these Audio forums do no like polk . For the price you can buy polks at there a good value for the money. for HT use there just fine. Music use is just ok . But I'm no audiophile. and I'm not going to spend 10K on a speaker system either . LOL
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page