post #991 of 1283 Old 08-09-2013, 12:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex View Post

Inclusion of a Top Front Center (TpFC) in a speaker configuration has obvious advantages when content is discretely mixed|rendered for that location, but I do wonder if there is a problem with upmixing for height effects while simultaneously trying to keep voice content locked into the (middle layer) Front Center (FC) speaker...?
Olive mentioned that the centre height was more optional than the other height. When they were doing blind testing, they found that the centre height was useful about half the time. Keep in mind that this is based on upmixing using their proprietary surround processing, not sending discrete content to the centre height.

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1283 Old 08-09-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Quote:

Inclusion of a Top Front Center (TpFC) in a speaker configuration has obvious advantages when content is discretely mixed|rendered for that location, but I do wonder if there is a problem with upmixing for height effects while simultaneously trying to keep voice content locked into the (middle layer) Front Center (FC) speaker...?
Olive mentioned that the centre height was more optional than the other height. When they were doing blind testing, they found that the centre height was useful about half the time. Keep in mind that this is based on upmixing using their proprietary surround processing, not sending discrete content to the centre height.
I'm certainly willing to employ a center height speaker|amp even if it is advantageous to do so 'only some of the time' in an upmix environment . . . provided there is no actual downside to doing so. And I guess we have to wait to see if there will be discrete content available in the near future which might make use of a center height speaker...?!

And it is perhaps noteworthy that the imm sound 14.1 'minimum recommended theatrical configuration' for object audio playback did not mandate a front center height speaker...

_

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #993 of 1283 Old 08-09-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm certainly willing to employ a center height speaker|amp even if it is advantageous to do so 'only some of the time' in an upmix environment . . . provided there is no actual downside to doing so. And I guess we have to wait to see if there will be discrete content available in the near future which might make use of a center height speaker...?!
_
Sure, I'll take some improvement over no improvement. As for downside, I place speakers based on what makes psychoacoustic sense rather than mapping each source channel. For example: when EX/ES soundtracks used to have a mono surround-back channel, I never played it back through a single rear speaker, always through two speakers spread at least 60 degrees apart. So even if there ends up being discrete centre height content, I'll only place a speaker there if it doesn't cause problems.

Sanjay
post #994 of 1283 Old 08-09-2013, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 326
all this discussion about MDA / Atmos / Auro3D makes me very eager to see at least 1 of them make it into an AVR/prepro...and soon smile.gif

I would love to see someone implement true overhead effects in home audio environments.

Steve
post #995 of 1283 Old 08-09-2013, 02:15 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 820
^^^^^

Umm, yeah. We ALL want this. biggrin.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #996 of 1283 Old 08-09-2013, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Umm, yeah. We ALL want this. biggrin.gif

And by "ALL" I'm guessing you mean the majority of the 20 people who posted to this thread in the last 3 months...?!

Perhaps a more critical issue is just how few of the other 6 billion on this planet care! cool.gif
_

[
]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #997 of 1283 Old 08-09-2013, 04:49 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:

And by "ALL" I'm guessing you mean the majority of the 20 people who posted to this thread in the last 3 months...?!

Perhaps a more critical issue is just how few of the other 6 billion on this planet care! cool.gif
_

Exactly. The cool crowd. cool.gif

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #998 of 1283 Old 08-10-2013, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am new to this forum and this is my first post. But I only listen to NEO X with movies since it came out. I have an Integra 50.4, and I love it. It does wonders with anyting from 2 to 7 channels. I run 9.2 with heights. I will try to read every post and see what you guys are talking about and try to catch up. One thing I noticed and havn't read anywhere is that on the Expendable 2 and Dredd blu-ray there is an 11.1 test. NEO X plays everything perfect but if you use PLIIX the test tones do not come out of the back surrounds, they stay in the sides. I found that interesting and I also don't like using PLIIX.
post #999 of 1283 Old 08-10-2013, 08:56 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:

And by "ALL" I'm guessing you mean the majority of the 20 people who posted to this thread in the last 3 months...?! Perhaps a more critical issue is just how few of the other 6 billion on this planet care! cool.gif
_

They could care less unless they are audio nuts!

My humble Cinema
post #1000 of 1283 Old 08-10-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

all this discussion about MDA / Atmos / Auro3D makes me very eager to see at least 1 of them make it into an AVR/prepro...and soon smile.gif I would love to see someone implement true overhead effects in home audio environments.

The Auro Technologies NEWSLETTER JUNE 2013 (link) includes the following text...
Quote:
HOME ENTERTAINMENT:
After a successful launch at Stassen HiFi, Auro-3D® will soon be available for home entertainment use. In the course of July 2013, Auro Technologies will publish a list of AV Receiver brands that will contain the Auro-3D® playback functionalities and bring the immersive sound experience to the home cinemas and living rooms.

However, it's now mid August, and I haven't seen the aforementioned list, although in the August 5, 2013, infomercial for Auro3D (link) we do hear a promise|rumor that home Auro 9.1|10.1|11.1 decoders "will appear at the end of 2013, beginning of 2014". cool.gif
_

[
]

post #1001 of 1283 Old 08-10-2013, 09:54 AM
Just add water and stir

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:

The Auro Technologies NEWSLETTER JUNE 2013 (link) includes the following text...
However, it's now mid August, and I haven't seen the aforementioned list, although in the August 5, 2013, infomercial for Auro3D (link) we do hear a promise|rumor that home Auro 9.1|10.1|11.1 decoders "will appear at the end of 2013, beginning of 2014". cool.gif
_

Ooo...I'm in.

|
 |
|
 |
post #1002 of 1283 Old 08-10-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

...in the August 5, 2013, infomercial for Auro3D (link) we do hear a promise|rumor that home Auro 9.1|10.1|11.1 decoders...
IF Auro3D does its 11.1 layout using 7.1 + 4 heights, then that will be a good time for DTS to make the change to their Neo:X processing giving the option for 4 heights as well, which will allow the same speaker layout to serve both technologies.

Sanjay
post #1003 of 1283 Old 08-10-2013, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:

_

Well, since many of those people (over 7 billion people total on Earth now) are still concerned about what they are going to eat tomorrow, I cannot see them much caring about even basic stereo setups.
post #1004 of 1283 Old 08-10-2013, 10:59 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:

However, it's now mid August, and I haven't seen the aforementioned list, although in the August 5, 2013, infomercial for Auro3D (link) we do hear a promise|rumor that home Auro 9.1|10.1|11.1 decoders "will appear at the end of 2013, beginning of 2014". :cool:_

CEDIA 2013 is near smile.gif mid September

My humble Cinema
post #1005 of 1283 Old 08-10-2013, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

CEDIA 2013 is near smile.gif mid September

CEDIA 2013 is held September 26-28, in Denver, CO.

Just my $0.02... 👍😉
post #1006 of 1283 Old 08-10-2013, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

IF Auro3D does its 11.1 layout using 7.1 + 4 heights, then that will be a good time for DTS to make the change to their Neo:X processing giving the option for 4 heights as well, which will allow the same speaker layout to serve both technologies.

So far as I know, the format for all theatrical movie releases to date has been Auro 11.1 in an Auro-encoded 5.1 LPCM carrier track.

Theatrical Auro 11.1 speaker configuration...

Auro Technologies recommends using either the Auro 9.1 or the Auro 10.1 speaker configuration for 'small theater' or home playback.

Home Auro 9.1 speaker configuration...

Home Auro 10.1 speaker configuration...

Existing classical music recordings SOUVENIR by TrondheimSolistene on the 2L label (link) and Portrait by Joseph Haydn on the MDG label (link) appear to be in Auro 9.1 and in an Aurophonic 8.0 2222+ (aka 2222plus) configuration (a compatible subset of Auro 9.1) respectively, both of which use the same Auro-encoded 5.1 LPCM carrier track format as an Auro 11.1 movie.

At this time, two significant questions would seem to be (1) what track format will be used for home delivery of Auro3D movies: 9.1, 10.1, or 11.1? and (2) what will be the capabilities of the Auromatic upmixer component included in a home Auro3D decoder to fill-out speaker elements of the full (theatrical) Auro 13.1(7) speaker configuration that are not present on the encoded Blu-ray disc?
_

[
]

post #1007 of 1283 Old 08-11-2013, 12:42 AM
Bass Enabler

Need some rear surrounds, Auro3D. Yes you do.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website

post #1008 of 1283 Old 08-11-2013, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 438
I think I like the Atmos speaker layout the best.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #1009 of 1283 Old 08-11-2013, 03:24 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

I think I like the Atmos speaker layout the best.

Picture of layout side by side ATMOS vs AURO 3D

My humble Cinema
post #1010 of 1283 Old 08-17-2013, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I'm very excited to try out a DTS Neo.X encoded movie because I just completed my 11.1 setup based around the Onkyo TX-NR929. The big issue is the lack of content. I am only aware of 3 movies encoded for Neo:X and two of them are rated R (which means they aren't allowed into my home). Does anyone know of a place to get a computer file, demo disc, or anything I could toy with until more content arrives?
post #1011 of 1283 Old 08-17-2013, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberduckey View Post

Well I'm very excited to try out a DTS Neo.X encoded movie because I just completed my 11.1 setup based around the Onkyo TX-NR929. The big issue is the lack of content. I am only aware of 3 movies encoded for Neo:X and two of them are rated R (which means they aren't allowed into my home). Does anyone know of a place to get a computer file, demo disc, or anything I could toy with until more content arrives?

Ahh man, there are some great R rated movies you're missing out on. Even some wonderful Oscar winners and other classics are Rated R (not just hard core action or adult comedies). One of my favorite movies of all time, Stand By Me, is Rated R, but it would probably get a PG-13 nowadays. Things change. If you have kids, send 'em to the in-laws once in a while and have an adult night at the movies. biggrin.gif

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #1012 of 1283 Old 08-17-2013, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

I thought the 929 was only 9.x and you had to choose front or wide.

FWIW, I find DTX Neo X works well even with non "native" material. I found very impressive use of the wides in Transformers 2 at the forest battle scene
post #1013 of 1283 Old 08-17-2013, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Woof maybe you're thinkiing of DSX or PLIIZ. The TX-NR929 does high and wide in DTS NEO X. It's actually 9.2 or 11.2 with an external stereo amp.

Ducky where did you get your 929? If I wasn't otherwise preoccupied I'd probably would have replaced my Integra DTC 9.8 by now with a 929. Would love to hear more about yours. Yours is the first I've heard of in captivity.

Patrick
post #1014 of 1283 Old 08-18-2013, 12:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Need some rear surrounds, Auro3D. Yes you do.

If I understand correctly, Auro3D actually supports 8.0 through 15.1 channel audio for encode|decode and upmix|downmix . . . although I believe all movies to date have been mixed in the same 11.1 channel configuration. Auro3D works with the following audio channels:

Front Center channel.
Front Left channel.
Front Right channel.
Surround Left channel.
Surround Right channel.
Rear Left channel.
Rear Right channel.
LFE.
Height Front Center channel.
Height Front Left channel.
Height Front Right channel.
Height Surround Left channel.
Height Surround Right channel.
Height Rear Left channel.
Height Rear Right channel.
Center Overhead channel ("Voice Of God").

Obviously, the mixed-for-home channel count included within the Auro-encoded 5.1 or 7.1 LPCM carrier track on a Blu-ray disk is decided by the studio . . . and the maximum decode+upmix channel count (likely 9.1 or 10.1, but possibly more) is the result of a feature decision by the AVR|processor vendor. biggrin.gifeek.gifcool.gif
_

[
]

post #1015 of 1283 Old 08-18-2013, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:

DTS demo disc is the first thing that comes to mind. They sometime pop up on eBay.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

post #1016 of 1283 Old 08-18-2013, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Collins View Post

Woof maybe you're thinkiing of DSX or PLIIZ. The TX-NR929 does high and wide in DTS NEO X. It's actually 9.2 or 11.2 with an external stereo amp.

Ducky where did you get your 929? If I wasn't otherwise preoccupied I'd probably would have replaced my Integra DTC 9.8 by now with a 929. Would love to hear more about yours. Yours is the first I've heard of in captivity.

Ah looks like they finally fixed in the 9 series. It took up till last year for the 1xxx, 3xxx and 5xxx series to get that feature.

NeoX can upmix 5.1 and 7.1 material to 11.1 as long as the AVR supports it. Have a go at Transformers 2 the IMAX forest battle where Optimus takes on a whole gang of decepticons. The panning when Megatron circles around looking for Sam really shows up the wides very well
post #1017 of 1283 Old 08-18-2013, 07:36 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Ah man, there are some great R rated movies you're missing out on. Even some wonderful Oscar winners and other classics are Rated R (not just hard core action or adult comedies). One of my favorite movies of all time, Stand By Me, is Rated R, but it would probably get a PG-13 nowadays. Things change. If you have kids, send 'em to the in-laws once in a while and have an adult night at the movies. biggrin.gif

Do you have a list of movies encoded for DTS NeoX?

My humble Cinema
post #1018 of 1283 Old 08-18-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Do you have a list of movies encoded for DTS NeoX?

The only movies that come to mind are The Expendables 2, Step Up Revolution, and Dredd. cool.gif
_

[
]

post #1019 of 1283 Old 08-18-2013, 12:39 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The only movies that come to mind are The Expendables 2, Step Up Revolution, and Dredd. :cool:_

Yes that's what I thought! Any new ones coming out?

My humble Cinema
post #1020 of 1283 Old 08-18-2013, 01:49 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:

If I understand correctly, Auro3D actually supports 8.0 through 15.1 channel audio for encode|decode and upmix|downmix . . . although I believe all movies to date have been mixed in the same 11.1 channel configuration. Auro3D works with the following audio channels:

Front Center channel.
Front Left channel.
Front Right channel.
Surround Left channel.
Surround Right channel.
Rear Left channel.
Rear Right channel.
LFE.
Height Front Center channel.
Height Front Left channel.
Height Front Right channel.
Height Surround Left channel.
Height Surround Right channel.
Height Rear Left channel.
Height Rear Right channel.
Center Overhead channel ("Voice Of God").

Obviously, the mixed-for-home channel count included within the Auro-encoded 5.1 or 7.1 LPCM carrier track on a Blu-ray disk is decided by the studio . . . and the maximum decode+upmix channel count (likely 9.1 or 10.1, but possibly more) is the result of a feature decision by the AVR|processor vendor. biggrin.gifeek.gifcool.gif
_

Right. Either way I hope when/if this technology hits the home AVR circuit that they will have the ability to apply post-processing ala PL2x and such so I can have my rears even if the original mix is "5.1" as such. Technically it should be possible as the decoder only needs the 'regular' surround channels information and not the new included height channels.

It will be interesting to see how all these new audio technologies will be implemented for us at home. I can't wait to see what comes!

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Dts , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page