DTS Neo.X - Page 42 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1231 of 1244 Old 05-28-2014, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi, I want a 7.1 that has an option of running an additional amplifier for 9.1 channels or simply a 9.1 channel receiver that can do both front heights and front wides simultaneously if one forgoes using surround backs, and it needs to have DTS Neo X. Can anyone recommend such a receiver in the sub $1000 price range preferably in the $750 price range really.  I thought I had found such a receiver in the Onkyo TX-NR818, but now I am not so sure. There is alot of conflicting information on the owners thread on whether this is possible or not. Seems a couple of people say they have hooked theirs up that way but it sounds like Onkyo generally states it is not possible, and I can't help but wonder if those people simply plugged the speakers in and think they are working but actually aren't.

Can anyone recommend a receiver for me or confirm if the Onkyo TX-NR818 can do front heights and wides simultaneously when using an external amp?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 1244 Old 05-28-2014, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComponentActual View Post

Hi, I want a 7.1 that has an option of running an additional amplifier for 9.1 channels or simply a 9.1 channel receiver that can do both front heights and front wides simultaneously if one forgoes using surround backs, and it needs to have DTS Neo X. Can anyone recommend such a receiver in the sub $1000 price range preferably in the $750 price range really.  I thought I had found such a receiver in the Onkyo TX-NR818, but now I am not so sure. There is alot of conflicting information on the owners thread on whether this is possible or not. Seems a couple of people say they have hooked theirs up that way but it sounds like Onkyo generally states it is not possible, and I can't help but wonder if those people simply plugged the speakers in and think they are working but actually aren't.

Can anyone recommend a receiver for me or confirm if the Onkyo TX-NR818 can do front heights and wides simultaneously when using an external amp?

Denon x4000
post #1233 of 1244 Old 05-28-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

Denon x4000

So that model can do wides and heights post processing (sans rear decoding) at the same time? Some processors are limited in their MIPS processing horsepower and some receiver models have to specifically state that they are 9.2 channel capable. 11.2 channel units can do rears, heights, and wides simultaneously.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #1234 of 1244 Old 05-28-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

Front high AND wide is only Denon 4520 and the matching Marantz prepro that does in Neo:X. Denon 4311 also if you can live with DSX only.

Under construction: the Larch theater
post #1235 of 1244 Old 05-28-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

Denon x4000

If I could afford the x4000, I would buy it in a heart beat as I trust Denon over Onkyo and having owned both think the Denon's are more user friendly. Unfortunately its price is out of my range. Fortunately though I think the Onkyo TX-NR818 will in fact do what I want. On page 49 of the manual it states 9.1 CH Playback: and gives three options, Speaker Layout SB/FH, Speaker Layout SB/FW, Speaker Layout FH/FW. So it would seem it is possible to play sound simultaneously from the front heights and front wides.

I previously called Onkyo to get this information and they assured me it could, but it has been my experience that you have to take what they say with a grain of salt, because they will never tell you they don't know. Instead it seems like they usually just guess.

post #1236 of 1244 Old 05-28-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post

Front high AND wide is only Denon 4520 and the matching Marantz prepro that does in Neo:X. Denon 4311 also if you can live with DSX only.

I don't need a receiver that can drive 9 channels just one that can drive 7 but process 9 channels and send the additional two channels to an external amp. If you are sure the Onkyo TX-NR818 can't I would like to see where you got that information from, because from what I can tell it states in its manual that it can do front height and wides, although granted it doesn't say what listening modes are supported but since it has  DTS NEO X and Audyssey DSX I assume it can do so with either. Though I suppose it is possible that if running both FH and FW it can only do Audyssey DSX, but I would be surprised.

post #1237 of 1244 Old 05-28-2014, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Onkyo TX-NR929 @ accessories4less is in your price range. It does what you want and then some.

And it runs cool.

Patrick
post #1238 of 1244 Old 05-28-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't need a receiver that can drive 9 channels just one that can drive 7 but process 9 channels and send the additional two channels to an external amp.

Well, that means front wide OR front high. If you want front high AND front wide it needs to process 11 channels, and x4000 doesn't do that. If you only want 9 channels there's plenty of choices

post #1239 of 1244 Old 05-28-2014, 01:44 PM

Your right that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Collins View Post

Onkyo TX-NR929 @ accessories4less is in your price range. It does what you want and then some.

And it runs cool.

Your right that is in the price range I listed, but I lied. I didn't want to say I want features at an unreasonable price and seem like an idiot so I said sub $1000 when I really meant $750 absolute max. I can get the TX-NR818 new with 2 year warranty for $650, so I think that is what I am going to do. I already have the external amp I plan on using and I don't see myself going to 11.2 speakers anytime soon. Though as soon as I have 9.2, I am sure I will be thinking you know what another two speakers over there would really help fill out the sound better, lol. Thanks for the suggestion.

post #1240 of 1244 Old 05-28-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:

Well, that means front wide OR front high. If you want front high AND front wide it needs to process 11 channels, and x4000 doesn't do that. If you only want 9 channels there's plenty of choices

That is assuming you are using rears and surround backs. I would be giving up the surround backs to use front highs and wides instead. I position my rears a little bit behind me and feel like I don't really need surround backs, especially since my room wouldn't really accommodate them without them being directly overhead anyway.

post #1241 of 1244 Old 05-28-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is assuming you are using rears and surround backs. I would be giving up the surround backs to use front highs and wides instead. I position my rears a little bit behind me and feel like I don't really need surround backs, especially since my room wouldn't really accommodate them without them being directly overhead anyway.

Well, I'd be most surprised if any receiver will allow you to give upp surroundchannels in favour of running both high and wide, but please prove me wrong!

post #1242 of 1244 Old 05-28-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:

Well, I'd be most surprised if any receiver will allow you to give upp surroundchannels in favour of running both high and wide, but please prove me wrong!

I am just going off what the manual states, or kind of implies really. Also a couple of people (two that I know of) claimed that they are running it this way on the owners thread. You could be right, but yeah I am going to go ahead and order and I will update with when it arrives. (Hopefully if your right Amazon will cover the shipping when I return the 40 pound behemoth, lol)

post #1243 of 1244 Old 05-28-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:

If I could afford the x4000, I would buy it in a heart beat as I trust Denon over Onkyo and having owned both think the Denon's are more user friendly. Unfortunately its price is out of my range. Fortunately though I think the Onkyo TX-NR818 will in fact do what I want. On page 49 of the manual it states 9.1 CH Playback: and gives three options, Speaker Layout SB/FH, Speaker Layout SB/FW, Speaker Layout FH/FW. So it would seem it is possible to play sound simultaneously from the front heights and front wides.

I previously called Onkyo to get this information and they assured me it could, but it has been my experience that you have to take what they say with a grain of salt, because they will never tell you they don't know. Instead it seems like they usually just guess.

Quote:

Quote:

I have the x4000 and run 5.1 + wides AND heights with an external amp. Xt32 does a great job too. If the onkyo can do it for less $ then I say go for it. BUT, I'd call avs to see what the pricing would be for the x4000. I guarantee it's under $1k and has a 3yr warrantee.
post #1244 of 1244 Old 05-28-2014, 03:18 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:

That's actually exactly how my several years old Onkyo TXNR3007 works. If you don't want back surrounds you can power one or both the front heights and wides with and just have one set of surrounds.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Dts , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page