New to Home Theater systems, thinking of Pioneer 1020k... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-09-2011, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to purchase a solid sound system for my home. I'm a total newbie when it comes this stuff.

Room:
I am in a condo, so room I'm considering outfitting is 12'Lx15'Wx10T'.

Current Setup:
I have a Panasonic Viera TH-46PZ80U. I will be getting a newer TV as well in a month. Same size, I was thinking of a Vizio XVT473SV, any advice on this I'm open to as well.

I have Comcast for my HD cable provider and internet.

Xbox360 for gaming.

Uses:
Mainly for movies and gaming. I'm not concerned with 3D TV yet.

Budget:
For the receiver, speakers, and the blu-ray player, I want to try and cap it $1,500. If I could do it for around a $1000, better. I want this to be my starter system into home theater, and I will build up from this.

What I wish to purchase:
1. Receiver - I found a lot of positive reviews for the Pioneer 1020K. The price is also very nice, now at $350 online makes it nice to me.

2. Speakers - I'm pretty clueless. I have heard that the Klipsch 500 series is a good start for 5.1. I have also read that the Energy Take Home Classic 5.1 isn't bad either.

3. Blu Ray - Haven't looked into this yet, so any help would be great.

Any advice about what what receiver, speakers and blu ray setup would be fantastic, as I know there is great wealth of knowledge here. Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2011, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
so far you have listed "satellite" sized (small) speakers. Can you fit in bookshelf speakers ? The performance of small speakers in a den or bedroom is usually adequate, but they suffer in larger rooms.

The Pioneer VSX-1020 is a good receiver, you might also look around for last years Yamaha V1065 which was on a great sale a few weeks ago at 6ave.com and newegg.com (both authorized Yamaha dealers) or some of the Denon 1610 models.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidFFA View Post
I want to purchase a solid sound system for my home. I'm a total newbie when it comes this stuff.

Room:
I am in a condo, so room I'm considering outfitting is 12'Lx15'Wx10T'.

Current Setup:
I have a Panasonic Viera TH-46PZ80U. I will be getting a newer TV as well in a month. Same size, I was thinking of a Vizio XVT473SV, any advice on this I'm open to as well.

I have Comcast for my HD cable provider and internet.

Xbox360 for gaming.

Uses:
Mainly for movies and gaming. I'm not concerned with 3D TV yet.

Budget:
For the receiver, speakers, and the blu-ray player, I want to try and cap it $1,500. If I could do it for around a $1000, better. I want this to be my starter system into home theater, and I will build up from this.

What I wish to purchase:
1. Receiver - I found a lot of positive reviews for the Pioneer 1020K. The price is also very nice, now at $350 online makes it nice to me.

2. Speakers - I'm pretty clueless. I have heard that the Klipsch 500 series is a good start for 5.1. I have also read that the Energy Take Home Classic 5.1 isn't bad either.

3. Blu Ray - Haven't looked into this yet, so any help would be great.

Any advice about what what receiver, speakers and blu ray setup would be fantastic, as I know there is great wealth of knowledge here. Thank you in advance!
TV-Go with the panny,great black levels, and can't go wrong with games or movies that require fast moving action. Not a fan of Led tv personally.
AV-1020 will be great for what you need, good gui, good extras. i had this, but stepped up to the 1120 for the pre-outs
Speakers- For the room size, either will work, but i prefer the Classics, they to me, have a cleaner, warmer, over all great sound. 2 co workers have this and they love their set up. One uses it for games, other uses it for movies.
Blu-Ray-PS3, always updated by PS firmware, imo best blu ray you can still get plus, if your a gamer, its a great system for a lot of games coming out this year.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

m_vanmeter - Thanks for that input. I don't think it should be a concern yet, being that I will be in an apartment that has small ceilings and not so large rooms. This current setup would be for my bedroom. In the future, I will definitely want to beef up the system and get bigger speakers and I can use these as a secondary system.

Ubergamer - That is good to hear. I'm leaning slightly heavier now towards the Pioneer 1020k, although I now saw on Newegg there are selling the ONKYO TX-SR608 7.2 for $374 and am wondering if that would be a better choice. Reading the reviews for these seem difficult to decide, as a lot of it seems to be personal taste as far as sound quality and features. I figure as long as go with one of these systems I should be good.

Energy speakers sound like a good fit!

I'm glad to hear PS3 is still a strong Blu-Ray player as a gamer Is there a difference in performance between the PS3 and the slim version?
Old 01-11-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidFFA View Post

m_vanmeter - Thanks for that input. I don't think it should be a concern yet, being that I will be in an apartment that has small ceilings and not so large rooms. This current setup would be for my bedroom. In the future, I will definitely want to beef up the system and get bigger speakers and I can use these as a secondary system.

Ubergamer - That is good to hear. I'm leaning slightly heavier now towards the Pioneer 1020k, although I now saw on Newegg there are selling the ONKYO TX-SR608 7.2 for $374 and am wondering if that would be a better choice. Reading the reviews for these seem difficult to decide, as a lot of it seems to be personal taste as far as sound quality and features. I figure as long as go with one of these systems I should be good.

Energy speakers sound like a good fit!

I'm glad to hear PS3 is still a strong Blu-Ray player as a gamer Is there a difference in performance between the PS3 and the slim version?

Amazon has the 1020 for 369, which is a good price for it, i picked mine up for 321 at the time. Plus, i think amazon, should honor the warranty by the manufacture, compared to newegg. I think, not 100% sure of this. But both companies is great to buy from. no probs for me. As far as avr, i heard good things with the onkyo, I think the only thing missing from Onkyo, is the internet radio capability, other wise, it should be equal on sound, and each has their own taste. Some reviews on amazon, mention video quality, but choose which is more important to you.

Yah if you plan on upgrading later, the classics are a good starter, and later on if you plan on upgrading to the rc line or cc line of energy, you can use those as extra surrounds if need too.

Only 2 major difference, if you have ps2 games and would like to play them on the ps3, you can with the thicker one, and can not with slim. And accessing blu rays, are a little slower on the slim, but this does not make a huge difference for me. Oh and the fan, it is slightly louder than the thick, but again, most people don't mind, some do, but you should be happy with either or you can choose. If you wanted to play ps2 games, you can always pick up a ps2 system, or PS network is starting to release popular games for DL, so you can play discless.
Hope this helps!
Old 01-11-2011, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I'm going with what you recommended. Thank you!
Old 01-11-2011, 07:41 PM

No problem Tell me what you think when you get everything! Congrats and Enjoy!
Old 01-11-2011, 08:24 PM

About the PS3 Slim VS Fat, I don't have one yet but if I was to get one I would go for the Slim hands down.

The Slim will output Dolby Digital True HD and DTS-HD Master, where as the Fat will decode and send out PCM. Personally I'd rather have my receiver do all the decoding even though you most likely will not hear a difference in sound quality. I think it would be nice to take a quick look at the AVR to see what audio track it is using (some blu-rays use standard DD and you have to select DTS-HD or DD True HD from the settings menu).
Old 01-12-2011, 06:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
^^^

well, if you are buying a "new" ps3 (i.e. not a used one), you won't have a choice, as the slim is all they sell...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Old 01-12-2011, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Ubergamer - Will do sir!

ccotenj - Well that makes it easy to choose then, lol
Old 01-12-2011, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 234
You've gotten some good advice here, I would only add that you get a universal remote to make it all play together - I highly recommend the Logitech Harmony One.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

hernanu - Thank you, I will definitely check that out

Got the receiver yesterday and the speakers come in today and I will get to test this system out. Can't wait!
Old 01-27-2011, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Hey guys, sorry for the delay but I'm in the process of moving to a new apartment.

I hooked up the system and I was thrilled to hear it. I setup the speakers then did the MCACC and kicked it off with a game of Halo Reach. The system really pops! The bass was nice, my window would rattle with every explosion and you can hear the gun fire all around. It was cool.

I watched a couple of movies afterwards, only one I remember was 2012. Going from TV speakers to a surround sound system is a huge jump, and I can definitely appreciate the sound now. It is going to be one of those things that I will not be able to live with out now (a list that seems to grow endlessly these days!).

Thank you for all of your help!