Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-13-2011, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,

I own a Denon AVR 590 receiver.

I recently found that my TV is not recognizing the HDMI cord that is coming from the receiver. I had all of my components going into the receiver, and then the one HDMI cord going from the receiver to the TV. Now one day I suddenly can't get it to work. It happened very suddenly. I was watching a movie with some friends, someone went to pause the movie and didn't know which remote to grab (I was in the next room over), and when I came back, the screen was black and I couldn't fix it. They claim they didnt touch anything, and I have no idea how a button could do something like this anyways, but I am just wondering (hoping) if there is a way to see if my receiver is just dead (well, the HDMI out anyways - everything else works just fine and dandy), or if there is some crazy setting that got adjusted on accident.

I was wondering if any of you have heard of this happening before and how I should handle it (repair?). This thing is refurbished so I wonder if it is just a defect.

The only reason I care is because now I have to run video and audio separately (which is fine), but I can't get DTS-HD or TrueHD codecs from my BluRay player since I have to run an optical audio cable to the receiver. I already tried sending audio through the HDMI and video through component and the receiver didn't like that very much. My receiver displayed "multi-in" instead of DTS-HD. Anyways, long story...

Help please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-13-2011, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Hi ShadowTowel, have you try different HDMI cables?

Also try HDMI reset procedure posted by jdsmoothie:

a. While the BDP is on, disconnect HDMI cable from TV
b. Turn off power to all devices (unplug AVR)
c. Disconnect HDMI cable from the BDP to AVR at both ends
d. Wait 2 minutes
e. Reconnect all HDMI cables
f. Apply power to TV, then AVR, then BDP

Last, reset the receiver microprocessor (see page 57 in OM).
post #3 of 11 Old 01-13-2011, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

JChin,

Ah, a glimmer of hope! You've got me very excited, I hope one of these things works! I want my HD audio back! I just got new speakers and can't play with them to the fullest extent! Plus I got this receiver SOLELY for the HD audio capabilities.

On to try these techniques out!

Will keep you posted!
post #4 of 11 Old 01-13-2011, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

I am very sad to report that neither of these methods worked. I'll have to call Denon tomorrow but I'm sure they'll just tell me I need to have it worked on.

Now to fix all my settings... Haha.

Thank you for the ideas though, that's exactly what I was looking for. Some tricks I never knew about. Too bad they didn't work for me.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-14-2011, 12:03 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked: 1694
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowTowel View Post

I already tried sending audio through the HDMI and video through component and the receiver didn't like that very much. My receiver displayed "multi-in" instead of DTS-HD. Anyways, long story...

When the 590 displays "Mult Ch In" it simply means the BDP is doing the decoding rather than the AVR, however, it's still the same HD audio. This does indicate there was a setting changed on your BDP however, for this change to occur.

Make sure the Denon remote switches are returned to the proper position for the main zone operation. Also, try unplugging the AVR for about 30 min and then do the microprocessor reset while powering it back on.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #6 of 11 Old 01-14-2011, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
When the 590 displays "Mult Ch In" it simply means the BDP is doing the decoding rather than the AVR, however, it's still the same HD audio. This does indicate there was a setting changed on your BDP however, for this change to occur.

Make sure the Denon remote switches are returned to the proper position for the main zone operation. Also, try unplugging the AVR for about 30 min and then do the microprocessor reset while powering it back on.

So if my BDP is decoding the TrueHD and DTS-HD (which my player says it CAN handle), and sending via HDMI to the receiver... then theoretically I am getting the exact same quality of sound (aka uncompressed audio)? I suppose that I am assuming that the HP-BD22U can decode as well as my AVR 590 can... But assuming all things are equal, my sound quality should be as high as possible, correct?

That would make me content. Hoping for a good answer!!
post #7 of 11 Old 01-14-2011, 03:37 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked: 1694
Correct. Just like "unzipping" a computer file ... doesn't matter at which end it happens ... the original file is still the same. The only difference is you may find the bitstreamed audio (ie decoded by the AVR) is a few db louder, but that's all.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #8 of 11 Old 01-14-2011, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

That's great to hear that I have a decent backup plan!!

Here's a new update I just discovered that is really trippy:

I tried to do another reset to see if I can "fix" my HDMI out port... Denon customer service recommended a similar reset as to the one you recommended earlier, but they told me to unplug anything that has a "standby" light on, including the TV. That didn't work. BUT... here's the goofy thing.

1) I set my BDP to send video via HDMI, and Audio via HDMI (bitstream).

2) I connected my BDP (HDMI out) to the receiver (HDMI 1 IN).

3) I connected another HDMI cord from the HDMI OUT on the Denon AVR 590 to my Samsung 46" LCD HDMI 2 IN.

4) I went to HDMI 2 input on my TV

5) I told the AVR 590 to look for audio for the HDP setting from [HDMI 1].

6) I set the AVR 590 onto the correct mode (HDP)

7) I turned on the Bluray player on and put in Transformers 2.

HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED! I saw the timer starting on the BDP, so I knew the movie had begun playing. NO video (as expected - this was my original problem), and NO audio (that was a surprise because I used to be able to get audio through it, but no picture). The receiver simply displayed "Stereo," and had nothing coming through. It did show and HDMI light, indicating that it recognized an HDMI cord being plugged in (I think that's what it means anyways).

THEM I unplugged the HDMI cord that was connecting the receiver to the TV (aka that problematic HDMI OUT port on my AVR 590), and suddenly the audio came bursting on, and switched over to displaying DTS-HD MA!

What in the world does that mean? Why would having the HDMI OUT port empty make my audio play, and plugging a cord into their shuts off the audio?

AHHHHH! Someone brilliant please help me. I'm losing my mind.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-14-2011, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

And now I plugged the HDMI back into the receiver's output, and the audio stayed... This is insane. Seems my equipment isn't shaking hands somewhere for some reason.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-15-2011, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

No one has a clue on this one?
post #11 of 11 Old 03-21-2012, 08:20 PM

Dd you ever find a fix? I'm having the same issue, the OSD shows up over hdmi but no video. I'm thinking it's not switching over to digital. I tried the factory reset and switching cables and trying a different tv but to no avail.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page