Receiver for Ascend Sierra-1's around $1200 - AVS Forum
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Receiver for Ascend Sierra-1's around $1200
realgone's Avatar realgone 11:52 AM 01-15-2011
Looking to upgrade my Denon AVR-2802. Nothing wrong with it, but I want the HDMI connections. My focus is mainly sound and picture quality and I mostly watch TV and movies. I am looking at two receives, the Denon 3311ci and the Onkyo TX-NR3008.

Currently the Denon 3311ci is on sale for $795 from $1199. This looks to be a great receiver. I am looking at Denon because that is what I own now and I used to have a friend that worked at a local stereo shop and they all agreed that Onkyo and Denon are the kind daddies of AVR's. I am not familiar with other brands and how they compare, but I am open to the idea.

The Onkyo TX-NR3008 which is on sale for $1299 from $1999.

Which would you choose or other and pro's and con's. Anything major to justify spending $400 more for the Onkyo.

Any input is greatly appreciated. I have a hard time making decisions, especially when there a soooo many choices and features.

realgone's Avatar realgone 04:39 PM 01-15-2011
I just saw that Denon has added Airplay. I think this means that whatever I watch on my iMac I can also watch on my TV via the receiver. My new receiver must have this feature. I am now leaning heavy towards the Denon. At some point I want to get my TV and Movies entirely over a network or via the internet and cancel my DirecTV. This will be an important feature.

I think it has plenty of power for my Ascend Sierra-1's.
soundseeker's Avatar soundseeker 08:41 AM 01-18-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by realgone View Post

FYI, I'm powering my F/C/L Ascend Sierra-1s with a 90wpc Denon 1909 without problems.
rnatalli's Avatar rnatalli 08:43 AM 01-18-2011
Get yourself an Onkyo 708 and be done with it. If you need more power, just add an Emotiva amp.
ccotenj's Avatar ccotenj 08:52 AM 01-18-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by realgone View Post

I just saw that Denon has added Airplay. I think this means that whatever I watch on my iMac I can also watch on my TV via the receiver. My new receiver must have this feature. I am now leaning heavy towards the Denon. At some point I want to get my TV and Movies entirely over a network or via the internet and cancel my DirecTV. This will be an important feature.

the airplay implementation on d&m products does not stream video... so if it's a "must have", you are sol...

get an atv (or similar box) for streaming... take that off your "checkbox" list for avr's... use the right tool for the job...

as far as power for the sierra's... i used everything from a sc-09 to an onkyo of unknown vintage, and they were happy with everything i used... even with their lowish sensitivity, they are pretty well behaved speakers, and i'd be hard pressed to think of an avr that WOULDN'T drive them...
Up
Mobile  Desktop